Trip to London & Europe with kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-20-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are from the USA. My family may be spending a week in London (DH might go there for work). After we might spend a week or so traveling in the UK, France, Germany, etc. We have a 1 year old and 5 year old. Can anyone suggest fun things to do, great local resturants, family friendly places to stay, etc.? We won't have tons of money to blow, but would still like to have fun and see some sights. Maybe the Alps? Is there any affordable way to do that? Rooms seem expensive. Any input from locals or someone that has been there done that would be great. None of us have traveled out of the USA before. Thanks in advanced!

Mama to DD 12/05, DS 8/09 , nursing, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-vaxing, no circ
#2 of 2 Old 01-20-2011, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How fun!

We have four children, currently live in England, but we have lived and traveled in France, Germany and Italy.

My main piece of advice would be "DON'T TRY TO DO TOO MUCH!!" What has worked for us is to plan one touristy thing per day, and then make sure that there is a lot of time for just being spontaneous, wandering around the town, coming upon nice parks or shops or cafes as you go. And know that everything will generally take longer or be more complicated than  planned! This is not to discourage you. Traveling in Europe with children can be a lot of fun, but it is also very tiring.

After your time in London, you might consider taking the Eurostar from London to Paris - it only takes about an hour and a half station to station. Or you could take a night train all the way up to Edinburgh or the Highlands. If you book in advance you can find some pretty good deals. If you want to go to Germany or Italy then night trains are a good way to travel, as you don't waste a day in transit, and you save on the cost of a hotel.

AS far as accomodations, you can look for self-catering appartments, bed and breakfasts or a guest house. One family I know often stays in Youth Hostels, as some of them have family rooms and are cheaper than hotels.

I am really tired so can't think of much else to tell you now. I'm sure other people will come up woth good ideas for you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page