Norway: Children removed for co-sleeping & hand-feeding? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-27-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

cross-posted in Co-sleeping

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/9035776/India-and-Norway-in-diplomatic-spat-over-children-taken-into-care.html

I find it very hard to believe that this is the reason the children were removed, but that is what is reported. If there is some other reason that the authorities in Norway want to keep confidential that I understand and respect ... but then why give reasons of co-sleeping and hand-feeding as evidence of improper child care and grounds for removing the children from their parents (while the younger one was still breastfeeding)? Highly disturbing ....

no longer momsling.GIF or ecbaby2.gif orfly-by-nursing1.gif ... dd is going on 10 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?

#2 of 6 Old 01-27-2012, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

whoa! I'll post there where I know a Norwegian and see what she has to say.

#3 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 05:24 PM

Here is what my friend had to say.

"Well, yeah, that case has been all over the place here as well. What it is, no one knows WHY they were taken by our version of the CPS since they are not allowed to make statements. What the parents lawer supposedly said is that CPS mentioned the cosleeping and handfeeding as a minor concern, with whatever else is going on. And so that statement seems to have been blown out of every proportion.

We cosleep here as well. Fair enough, hand feeding doesn't happen, but no one in their right mind would take kids from their parents because of that.

Anyway, the kids will now be returned to their uncle in India.

If I am to make any guesses it's that the Norwegian government would have bent over backwards to please the state of India had it been a mistake made, we are cowards that way, the need to please is high. So that the descision hasn't been overrruled by the government officials makes me believe that there was just cause to remove the children from the care of their parents."

"It is a very typical scenario that parents who feel wronged by the social services go to the media. Since the social services can't say anything, ever, it's very easy to make accusations that go unanswered. Of course, they make mistakes, as everyone does, but I hope that the majority of cases are not wrongful. In my experience they remove children from the homes to late rather than too soon.

As for being foreigners in Norway raising kids, it can perhaps be somewhat difficult depending on where you're from. Kids are pretty well protected from their care givers by laws, as in no spanking, no harsh punishments etc. I guess it may seem excessive to some, but when in Rome and so on and so forth. "

#4 of 6 Old 01-28-2012, 05:45 PM

What is hand-feeding?

Happy and in love with my family!
#5 of 6 Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the explanation ... it makes sense.   I actually thought those were the reasons given by the  CPS-equivalent.  (my bad.)

hand -feeding is simply feeding by hand rather than with a spoon or fork . iirc, they also mentioned "force feeding" so perhaps they expected the child to feed himself and not be fed by the mother.

no longer momsling.GIF or ecbaby2.gif orfly-by-nursing1.gif ... dd is going on 10 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?

#6 of 6 Old 01-31-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Here is an interesting article from Professor Marianne Haslev Skanland

The iron hand that rocks the cradle

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/article2842917.ece

The article is quite scathing:  "The CPS, in order to have work, wants children and they attack anybody who is vulnerable. That means mostly poor people, Norwegians as well as foreigners, because they are helpless to defend themselves."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page