Anyone familiar with Lurpak Danish Butter? I have a few questions regarding the butter & the country.Thanks. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-21-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi,

I have read how most people in Europe are against GMO's & hormones in their food.

Does the same apply to Denmark?

Have you had or tried LURPAK Danish butter? Do you know if the cows are grass

fed? Is it considered a good butter? Is it considered healthy?

Do you know if they are against RBGH growth hormone for the cows?

How about antibiotics, do they give the cows antibiotics?

Thank you in advance. thumb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 03:08 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I don't know the answers to your questions, and I've never heard of this butter, but I saw you asking a similar question in Nutrition and Eating, so I figured I'd take a shot.

I'm curious as to where you live.  From what you've written, I'm assuming that LURPAK butter is available there.  Does your country have laws about labeling GMOs?  I generally try not to buy the items that are commonly GMO unless they are specifically labeled that they aren't.  Generally buying organic precludes GMO, but I don't know if that is true in every situation.

If LURPAK is a European style butter, it probably has a higher fat content than butter that is typically made in the US. Butter in the US is typically sweet cream, although sometimes it is cultured.  Organic Valley makes a cultured European style butter.  Kerrygold is another brand that is carried in stores where I live, it's a grass fed Irish butter.  The other European butter that is available where I live is Plugra.  I don't know much about that kind. RBGH-free stuff all seems to be labeled as such with an accompanying disclaimer.

Lurpak has a facebook page, so you could ask some questions there.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I always avoid it because it doesn't taste great and it's very pale which generally means low quality and probably not grass fed. I grew up on it, but when I tried Kerry Gold after leaving home, I would never go back to Lurpak.

User Tag List