leave the car? take the car? WWYD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-26-2008, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we are in the states awaitng our visas to move to spain. Basically my dp's company will lease a car for us but I think it might be in our best interest to bring it. My dp, of course, disagrees, so.... what do you ladies think? any advice? We have a prius which is a big incentive to bring it- gas milage, and we could sell it abroad for a nice price.

dunno... much appreciate any thoughts

born to be a mom to Lilah Rose at home on 7-18-06 and a cranky wife to Johnny 12-05 ::
Home birth to Eirwen Claire on 1-06-11
#2 of 4 Old 08-27-2008, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Uh...be careful. Selling an American made car overseas might not be too easy in Spain. All sorts of barriers. Also lots of barriers to selling it in another country. If your company will pay all the fees (transport, inspection, licensing, etc.) to bring your car over, go for it. But I'd then take it back with you if you ever go back to the US - you'd get a better price for it. Unless you know someone in the US military.

Single mama to a 5yo and 8yo

#3 of 4 Old 08-27-2008, 02:58 AM

How long are you going to be in Europe for? The way petrol prices are, I can see why you'd be inclined to bring it- I'd check out the points the PP mentioned before deciding its definitely a no-go.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#4 of 4 Old 10-05-2008, 10:57 AM

IME owning a foreign plated car can be a serious hassle and getting it put on Spanish plate expensive (though apparently the charge is proportional to emissions, so a Prius might be much better off). Though there are plenty of companies offering insurance for UK cars resident in Spain, one of the operators I spoke to once let slip that in truth it wasn't that water tight - I suspect it might be even more dodgy for anyone with a non EU plated vehicle.

The authorities don't like people importing cars and over the years have put up various obstacles, some of which have been overturned by the european parliament, others which remain. In reality though that doesn't matter, because in practice the Guardia will apply whatever they believe to be the law and if they think you should have a certain piece of paperwork that you don't or that something is the law that isn't they will give you a fine, which would probably more hassle to dispute than pay.

On the other hand, a friend of mine has also been fined for driving a spanish plated car with a UK (EU) driving licence, even though it is not clear cut in the law that it should have been exchanged for a spanish one. You can't win!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page