Norway! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 09-30-2008, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since the old threads have been archived, can we make a new thread where we can check in?
#2 of 27 Old 10-24-2008, 07:12 AM

Hello!
#3 of 27 Old 11-19-2008, 04:10 AM

SAHM, Geek, Expat American living in Oslo Norway.
DH DS1(5) DS2(2)
#4 of 27 Old 11-21-2008, 10:18 PM

Can I sub? I'm American, but my dad was born in Norway and lived there until after the war. I have only been back once, but I think we are actually getting back this coming summer (yay!). We'd be down in Tvedestrand.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#5 of 27 Old 11-22-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Can I sub?
Yes you can!

Welcome to this very quiet thread! Feel free to liven things up if you should feel so inclined.
#6 of 27 Old 11-22-2008, 01:57 PM

Thank you!

Today I am joining my aunt (she is my dad's younger sister, though she was born in the states) at the local Seamen's Church for the Christmas bazaar. I am hoping to find a few things to "Norwegian-ize" our Christmas season. I've also realized I need to join our local Sons of Norway organization in hopes of finding a local language course/meeting before we travel. My dad and I took a class back before we visited in '91 (well, he went every summer and really didn't need any help with his Norwegian, but he took it for me), but I have since forgotten so much of what I learned.

#7 of 27 Old 11-28-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:

Today I am joining my aunt (she is my dad's younger sister, though she was born in the states) at the local Seamen's Church for the Christmas bazaar. I am hoping to find a few things to "Norwegian-ize" our Christmas season. I've also realized I need to join our local Sons of Norway organization in hopes of finding a local language course/meeting before we travel. My dad and I took a class back before we visited in '91 (well, he went every summer and really didn't need any help with his Norwegian, but he took it for me), but I have since forgotten so much of what I learned.
So, did you find any good Norwegian-izing stuff at the bazaar?

Good luck with the Norwegian lessons! I'm impressed that you're making such an effort before going on holiday.
#8 of 27 Old 11-28-2008, 09:48 PM

We bought a nice Yule log candle holder for Advent/Solstice. They had some beautiful wool blankets that I was coveting, but we just weren't in the position to spend that much right then. I like going because it's a small way of introducing my boys to part of their culture.

And we found out there is a woman at the church that teaches Norwegian in private/family lessons, so after the holidays, we will call the church and get her information. I very much wish my dad had taught me Norwegian (he was fluent); we did take a class together before we traveled to Norway in 1991, but it has been way too long for me to remember any of it. More than being able to speak when we are back there, I want to know the language so we can have a tangible connection to who we are, if that makes sense.

#9 of 27 Old 12-06-2008, 02:56 AM

Hello! I have been reading Norwegian folk and fairy tales to my children, and my 7 year old son especially loves the traditional troll stories. Do any of you know of wonderful Norwegian children's books that have been translated into Engish?
#10 of 27 Old 12-06-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clogmama View Post
Hello! I have been reading Norwegian folk and fairy tales to my children, and my 7 year old son especially loves the traditional troll stories. Do any of you know of wonderful Norwegian children's books that have been translated into Engish?
Can you tell me where you have found traditional folk and fairy tales?

#11 of 27 Old 12-06-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
This would be the season for reading Jostein Gaarder's "The Christmas Mystery" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Christmas-My...8586669&sr=1-1)

Here's a collection of folk tales: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Norwegian-Ta...8586794&sr=1-2

And here are some books I recommended almost two years ago (not all Norwegian, but books typically read by Norwegian children):

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders
I would love some titles. Also, do you know how I might be able to get ahold of a cd of Norwegian nursery rhymes?

Anne Cath Vestly's books are good reading-aloud books for children of about 4 to 9. I only found one in English on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Hello-Aurora-A...e=UTF8&s=books

If this is the book I think it is ("Aurora i blokk Z" in Norwegian), it's the first book about a girl called Aurora and her family, with a little brother and a stay at home daddy (which was unusual when the book came out 40 years ago!) They are very sweet books about everyday life. Anne Cath Vestly has written many books about various children, and they are all good, if you can find English translations.

Alf Proysen is another classical author that is a Norwegian household name. Many of his books are available in English, for instance the "Mrs Pepperpot" books, about a little old woman that sometimes shrinks to the size of a teaspoon. You can find several of them on Amazon.
Also "Christmas Eve at Santa's" ("Snekker Andersen og Julenissen"), highly recommended for 3 - 8 year olds: http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Eve-...e=UTF8&s=books

And then of course there's Thorbjorn Egner and his "Karius and Bactus" (about two "tooth trolls" that live in a boy's teeth, causing holes in his teeth), and "People and Robbers of Cardemon Town". Age group 5 to 9 (I guess).

There's also some books that are written not by Norwegian authors, but by Swedish and Finnish, that are in the bookshelves of every Norwegian child.

This is especially true for Astrid Lindgren's two books "The Brothers Lionheart" (http://www.amazon.com/Brothers-Lionh...e=UTF8&s=books) and "Mio, My Son" (http://www.amazon.com/Mio-My-Son-Ast...=UTF8&s=books), both beautiful and exciting books for 5 to 11 year olds. The "Brothers Lionheart" is by some considered not suited for the youngest because it hints at suicide. But these are absolute classics, wonderful books.

Other recommendable books by Astrid Lindgren are:
"Ronia, the Robber's Daughter" (http://www.amazon.com/Ronia-Robbers-...e=UTF8&s=books)
"The Children on Troublemaker Street" (http://www.amazon.com/Children-Troub...e=UTF8&s=books)
The "Pippi Longstocking" books

and the books about Emil's pranks, always ending in Emil having to run and hide from his furious dad (this was a hundred years ago, before spanking became illegal in Sweden). The stories are penned by his warm, humorous mother. Two of them are available on Amazon, "Emil and his Clever Pig" and "Emil in the Soup Tureen", but you may be able to find more other places.

The moomin books by Finnish Tove Jansson are also an important part of Scandinavian children's culture. There is a big difference between the original books and the newer spinoffs, though! The original books are warm and philosophical and just as good for grownups as for children. I enjoyed them from about age five myself.
(http://www.amazon.com/Moominvalley-N...e=UTF8&s=books)
http://www.amazon.com/Moominland-Mid...e=UTF8&s=books
http://www.amazon.com/Comet-Moominla...e=UTF8&s=books
http://www.amazon.com/Moominsummer-M...e=UTF8&s=books

Rhymes:

One classic collection of children's rhymes is called "Saa Rart" ("How Strange") by Inger Hagerup. All Norwegian kids know her children's rhymes and poems. Suitable for 3 - 8 years. You can get both a book and a cd version:
Book: http://www.bokkilden.no/SamboWeb/pro...=142841&rom=MP
Cd: http://www.bokkilden.no/SamboWeb/pro...1429612&rom=MP

I think most of these rhymes are set to music. I don't know if the bok and cd contain exactly the same rhymes, but I would guess there's at least a "common core".

Another classic when it comes to rhymes are André Bjerke's "Morovers" ("Fun Rhymes"), for ages about 5 to 11 (the rhymes are rather fun for grownups, too!)
Book version: http://www.bokkilden.no/SamboWeb/pro...=116680&rom=MP
Cd: http://www.bokkilden.no/SamboWeb/pro...=133510&rom=MP
#12 of 27 Old 12-06-2008, 06:30 PM

Oh goodness, I had totally forgotten that I had asked.

#13 of 27 Old 12-08-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Can you tell me where you have found traditional folk and fairy tales?
I checked out this book from the library: The Troll With No Heart in His Body and Other Tales of Trolls, from Norway by Lise Lunge-Larsen
The stories are captivating and my 7 year old asks to hear them over and over....
#14 of 27 Old 12-08-2008, 09:20 PM

Looks like The Troll With No Heart in His Body can also be found on Amazon...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_...+Heart&x=0&y=0
#15 of 27 Old 12-09-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
I checked out this book from the library: The Troll With No Heart in His Body and Other Tales of Trolls, from Norway by Lise Lunge-Larsen
The stories are captivating and my 7 year old asks to hear them over and over....
Thank you for the title! I was able to find it at the library and put it on request/hold. I have a feeling my boys will love them (and I'll love reading the stories that my dad probably grew up hearing).

#16 of 27 Old 02-04-2009, 11:44 PM

Speaking of Norwegian kids' books...we are looking for some written in Norwegian. Hubby is Norwegian, but we live in the states. We always make a point of picking up a few when visiting, but I've been wondering if I could find a source in the US since they'd be cheaper here. Does anyone have any ideas on where to look? I've asked at a couple of bookstores here but they haven't been able to come up with anything.

Tussen takk!
#17 of 27 Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 AM

Hello mamas!

I live in the US for a company that is based out of Norway (in Kjeller) and will be down there in a couple of months. I have a 7 month old baby (he will be roughly 10 or so months when I go down there). What are the carseat laws there? NIP laws?
thank you!

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#18 of 27 Old 03-04-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
What are the carseat laws there? NIP laws?
All children (that are less than 135 cm tall or weigh less than 36 kilos) have to be in an approved carseat. The current norms are ECE R44-03 and R44-04. Rear-facing is recommended, but not required, until the child is four years old.

There are no NIP laws, but breastfeeding in public is common. "Nursing covers" are unheard of, a little discretion (as in covering most of the breast with your jumper) is normal. I breastfed my now three-year-old for two years and nine months in all kinds of public places, and never had a negative reaction from anybody.
#19 of 27 Old 03-16-2009, 07:49 AM

Yeah, I have never felt uncomfortable nursing in public here. Especially when the child is under 1 year still.

The carseat laws are pretty similar to the US and unlike when we have traveled to the US you can order a taxi with a carseat here so no need to panic about how you might get from the airport. They don't all have them but at least in the Oslo area there are always a certain amount of cars around with infant and booster seats in the trunk and drivers that have been given training with installing them, just ask when you call.

SAHM, Geek, Expat American living in Oslo Norway.
DH DS1(5) DS2(2)
#20 of 27 Old 03-16-2009, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the help!

I am going to be in Kjeller, anyone know of fun things to do there?

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#21 of 27 Old 11-05-2009, 03:22 AM

*Sigh*

I'm Norwegian ethnically, and I fantasize daily about moving there, even though I've never been. I'm so sick of America these days.

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#22 of 27 Old 11-05-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almadianna View Post
I am going to be in Kjeller, anyone know of fun things to do there?
Apparently no one did - did you have any fun?
#23 of 27 Old 11-05-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitmum View Post
Apparently no one did - did you have any fun?
haha... well thats probably because kjeller is really teeny.

i will be there again in 3 weeks and in January i will be in trysil. there is not much to do there so maybe I should have asked where people recommend in Oslo since its closer.

#24 of 27 Old 06-24-2010, 03:53 PM

soo... it is possible that I will be moving to Lillestrom (close to Oslo).

Is anyone there? The other option is moving to Trondheim... but I think I will like the weather in Oslo better.

I will have a 4 year old and a two year old.

#25 of 27 Old 07-06-2010, 07:01 PM

if you end up in trondheim you won't be far from us in harjedalen sweden (sveg to be exact). i'm not looking forward to winter there, heard last year they got -35 for six weeks straight. that's north pole weather actually.
are you moving to norway from the US? permanently?
#26 of 27 Old 07-06-2010, 11:07 PM

i was there last winter when it was - 35. it was BAD.

yes from the US, possibly for 18 months to a year.. or longer if i like it.

#27 of 27 Old 07-12-2010, 05:19 PM

here in south-central sweden we had -20 last winter and i thought that was bad.

close to oslo sounds nicer. i know i'll stay in Harjedalen for only a year. it's a small village of 4000 people, closest big town is 2,5 hours away. i don't think i can do that for longer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page