It's December in Vancouver/SW Wa - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, do I actually get to start a thread? Please someone tell me if it's already been done and I just missed it

Here's a link to the old thread, just in case.

Happy December!

Urban homesteader wanna be and homeschooling mama to the artist : 1/2003 and the peanut 6/2008 :
#2 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
Quote:
Okay guys the older kids are at Grandma's so I have just Marah and the baby anyone want to do anything tomorrow? Local here to Vancouver a plus but I have a OMSI membership and a Children's Museum membership and could do those if its in the am leaving around 12 or 1 to head home. Post or PM me and I will check tonight before bed. Or call me in the am. Open to other ideas as I would love to get out and chat with another mama.
quoting myself.

Amoreena good to see you on here!

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#3 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 02:07 PM

:
#4 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 02:15 PM

Amoreena!!! So nice to see you! Hows the adorable baby boy?

It's December! I can't believe it! WOW.

Voted on the cookie exchange...

now I'm off to clean and herd kids...
#5 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 02:33 PM

http://butterfliesanddinosaurs.themc...pen-house.html

This is not very "green" or healthy over 20 different types of treats mostly cookies. But we have bee doing it for 10 years and my kids really enjoy having everyone over. We put up a ton of lights and decorations. Christmas is my favorite holiday and we turn our house into kind of a winter wonderland. Yes it is alot of "stuff" but some from my childhood and everything else over the last 12 years.

Anyway if you want to come... email me or let me know and I will add you to the evite I created.

The last couple of years I have been torn about the green aspect.. but heck it is only once a year and I enjoy it!
#6 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 03:17 PM

:

good morning!

need to go and read the end of nov. thread now.

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
#7 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Okay guys the older kids are at Grandma's so I have just Marah and the baby anyone want to do anything tomorrow? Local here to Vancouver a plus but I have a OMSI membership and a Children's Museum membership and could do those if its in the am leaving around 12 or 1 to head home. Post or PM me and I will check tonight before bed. Or call me in the am. Open to other ideas as I would love to get out and chat with another mama.
wish I read this earlier, Mad is driving me up the walls!

at least my mom is home on vacation from work so I can get some sewing done and she can occupy mad.

Leslie

#8 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 04:03 PM

Mick went back to work today It's been so nice having him at home all this week. On the other hand, it's a great thing that he has a job to go to, so I'm not complaining. He only has to work today and then has two more days off for his regular days off, so not too bad. And he made cinnamon rolls last night so the kids' breakfast was already taken care of, so that made things easier on me.

Does anyone happen to have boxes lying around that they're not using and wouldn't mind giving away? Boxes suitable for moving, I mean. Big ones, small ones, slightly ratty ones ~ as long as they hold together and I can stick stuff in them they're perfect. I want to start packing now to make it easier in two months when we're ready to move.
#9 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielove View Post
Mick went back to work today It's been so nice having him at home all this week. On the other hand, it's a great thing that he has a job to go to, so I'm not complaining. He only has to work today and then has two more days off for his regular days off, so not too bad. And he made cinnamon rolls last night so the kids' breakfast was already taken care of, so that made things easier on me.

Does anyone happen to have boxes lying around that they're not using and wouldn't mind giving away? Boxes suitable for moving, I mean. Big ones, small ones, slightly ratty ones ~ as long as they hold together and I can stick stuff in them they're perfect. I want to start packing now to make it easier in two months when we're ready to move.
the liquor store piles their boxes in front of the store. That where we got a bunch last month for decluttering the garage

#10 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
wish I read this earlier, Mad is driving me up the walls!

at least my mom is home on vacation from work so I can get some sewing done and she can occupy mad.

Leslie
I am pretty sure the kids will still be gone tomorrow if you want to do it then.

We moved the entertainment center out of the house yesterday. That thing is so heavy! Some guy in a truck pulled over and asked me and Joe if we wanted help. It was so nice of him, made the job that much easier. The couch is where the ent center was, the desk has been angled in the same corner and my sewing table is now in front of the window. I can sew and look out the window! And we can open our door now.

#11 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 04:43 PM

We are going to the park next to me in about half an hour call my cell if anyone wants to join us.

#12 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the tip, Allison. I'll have Mick check the liquor store.

My daughters are playing with a stuffed toy which they call Marshmallow Head. I'm not quite sure why its name is Marshmallow Head, but they're happy so I'm happy.
#13 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 05:21 PM

So I'm reading over the forms for the MW. Part of the handbook says "Has help available in home 24 hrs/day for at least 1 week after the birth" {under the general criteria for homebirth}. Uh, crap crap crap. Does a moody 10 year old count? I *think* Mick MIGHT be able to schedule his vacation for sometime in June, but since he has to schedule vacation in January and we don't know for sure when baby will be born {obviously} I can't guarantee that. He said he can take paternity leave, but he hasn't yet found out what that entails ~ if he's allowed emergency leave or if he has to schedule it ahead of time. Please assure me that this is not going to be an issue.
#14 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 06:17 PM

kids have dentist apts tomorrow and we'll be running around delivering things tomorrow.

#15 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Allison, your hc looks great, so well stocked Would love to come visit sometime, but John is currently recovering from his vas and I want to stick around in case he needs anything.

Jessie, how are you feeling? Grocery stores and fast food places usually give out boxes as well. We moved our whole house in Burger King boxes once--they're a very nice size for packing Also cash & carry usually has a huge pile of them.

Legally Mick is entitled to time off and his company must have some way of dealing with an unfirm date for his vacation/loa. You're gonna need help mama! I'm totally happy to help out, though I couldn't be there for a whole week. Do you have an EDD? Our babes could be exactly a year apart!

Does anyone know how long we have to be poor before we can apply for food stamps and WIC? Looks like we're going to need it but I hope we don't have to wait for 2-3 mos worth of paystubs

Urban homesteader wanna be and homeschooling mama to the artist : 1/2003 and the peanut 6/2008 :
#16 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 07:51 PM

Amoreena
eligibility calculator

http://www1.dshs.wa.gov/esa/TEC/

by my calculations me and joe qualify (hmmm) so I bet you guys qualify too.

#17 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meenajo View Post

Allison, your hc looks great, so well stocked Would love to come visit sometime, but John is currently recovering from his vas and I want to stick around in case he needs anything.
Oh and thanks! Kind of bummed about the well stocked part. I had hoped for a looking great out of stock hyena.

#18 of 370 Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meenajo View Post

Jessie, how are you feeling? Grocery stores and fast food places usually give out boxes as well. We moved our whole house in Burger King boxes once--they're a very nice size for packing Also cash & carry usually has a huge pile of them.

Legally Mick is entitled to time off and his company must have some way of dealing with an unfirm date for his vacation/loa. You're gonna need help mama! I'm totally happy to help out, though I couldn't be there for a whole week. Do you have an EDD? Our babes could be exactly a year apart!

Does anyone know how long we have to be poor before we can apply for food stamps and WIC? Looks like we're going to need it but I hope we don't have to wait for 2-3 mos worth of paystubs
Legally he's entitled to time off, but it's unpaid. He said that his company offers paid paternity leave, but he doesn't know the details. I think my edd is around June 5th ish. Sometime in June. So yeah, R and Bun will be right around a year apart! The mw wants me to have a dating ultrasound, since my cycle was so unreliable and I can't give a good date anyway. I just need to remember to make the appt. tomorrow.

I'm not having such a good day, stomach wise. The kids are trying so hard to behave today. I feel like the meanest mommy ~ I told them I would try to take them out to the park today, but I could barely move all day and by the time I was able to just get myself dressed the weather had turned cruddy. At least they have school tomorrow. That will get them out of the house and moving around a bit.

I'm sorry you're struggling! Finances are such a sucky area. I don't know what the limits are, but I know that this state has pretty generous limits and some good programs available to those who qualify. The last two times I was pregnant we got into pretty desperate circumstances right around my due date each time {YIKES! Now that I think about that it's freaking me out a little! Actually, all four times we've had a big financial crisis while I was pregnant. Eep.} and the state was pretty helpful, offered a lot of different services. We didn't use most of them, but it was nice to know they were there.
#19 of 370 Old 12-02-2008, 01:11 PM

Amoreena - Haven't seen you in forever Dear!
How's cva going? And the adoption?

I'm with you on the finances. I have been searching for some way to get presents for the kiddo's covered. I will have all 4 of my girls this year and I have NO extra fundage to buy gifts. It's killing me!

I'm so tired this morning, if I could just get BACK to sleep I could probably sleep all day, that is if there weren't so many heathens running around my house. lol

You preggo mama's make me miss it so much. I guess you always want what you can't have. I had four of my own babies so I suppose that's enough. lol
#20 of 370 Old 12-03-2008, 02:09 AM

Argh!

The apt. complex is putting heavy pressure on us to move. I'm so sick of this harrassment. It's unfair. I think the stress is making me more sick. Today I couldn't even get a darn Reglan down. I've been super sick all day. Ugh.

On the bright side I spoke to my grandmother today and she offered to loan us the money to move. So if I can find a place that we can afford we might be able to move by the end of this month and definitely by the end of January, when we have to move anyway. I hate to borrow the money, but it's a relief to know that it's there if we need it. It will be a HUGE relief to move.

Get this ~ I actually feel a little bit less sick when I pack. Which I've done almost none of because M still hasn't gotten any boxes or cleaned out the storage closet to see if there are any usable ones in there. But the act of putting items in a box actually makes me feel a bit better. I think it's because it feels like I'm working towards getting out of this place, which will be such a major stress reliever. Of course, I'll still have HG once we're moved but stress seems to make it much worse so maybe I won't be quite so sick!

I found a couple of semi-promising sounding house listings. We need to keep it under $1000 per month. I would really like to snap up the one next to Allison, but $1100 is just outside of my comfort range. I think we might be able to swing up to $1000, but more than that I don't even think we would be approved for. Most places want an income of 3-4 times the monthly rent, iirc. I'm just babbling on now!

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions for places to look I would love to check them out. I've been scoping out Craiglist daily and tomorrow I'm going to call a couple of places. Our credit is still pretty shaky even after lots of work to clean it up {I need to run a new credit report actually, now that I think about it} so I'm trying to avoid places which put a heavy emphasis on credit checks.
#21 of 370 Old 12-03-2008, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lileigh View Post

You preggo mama's make me miss it so much. I guess you always want what you can't have. I had four of my own babies so I suppose that's enough. lol
Heh, I said the same thing up til October. Now it's more like "just let June come FAST so this misery can end happily!" I'm not a happy glowy pregnant though. The only glow coming off of me is the pressure rash and sweat from excessive vomitting. Which is WAY more than you wanted to know!
#22 of 370 Old 12-03-2008, 02:18 AM

After we're moved, if we like the new place, I'm having a damn party. And you're all going to come, whether you want to or not We'll celebrate release from tyranny!
#23 of 370 Old 12-03-2008, 02:57 AM

Jessie-

There are alot of houses for sale and rent near me. So you want me to look?

I am so sorry you are having a rough time. I had to take the suppositories to stop the getting sick. I couldn't keep anything down. I hope you feel better soon.
#24 of 370 Old 12-03-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherRea View Post
Jessie-

There are alot of houses for sale and rent near me. So you want me to look?

I am so sorry you are having a rough time. I had to take the suppositories to stop the getting sick. I couldn't keep anything down. I hope you feel better soon.
The mw suggested Zofran or Phenergan suppositories. She said the Phenergan would make me sleepy though. Since the Reglan makes me sleepy the P. would probably knock me down! I want to try Zofran, need to make an appt. with her.

I would LOVE for you to look for a rental for me, if you have time! We need to stay under $1000 per month and it has to be 3 or more bedrooms, but otherwise we have no real requirements. Preferably a large fence yard so I can turn the monsters loose outdoors. Thank you so much for looking! {That goes for anyone who wants to scope around their 'hood for me!! I would appreciate it so very, very much!}

Calling around to check on listings with a house full of kids and a stomach which rolls when I open my mouth is no fun. I usually love looking at house listings, but I'm so exhausted and overwhelmed right now that the fun is sucked out.
#25 of 370 Old 12-03-2008, 04:14 AM

My friend is staying with me and she's been on here for quite a while but she's had some really rough hits lately and we are looking for a place for her to rent... So if anyone see's anything interesting please let me know! She needs a 2 or more bedroom and it needs to have a place for the kids to play and be flexible with credit issues- she's a single mom trying to support herself and her 3 homeschooled kiddo's and we've got to find her a place that can understand all of that!
She's also looking for work, so any leads there would be great!
We are in the Fishers Landing part of town and would like to stay close over here because I will do her child care for her... but she's not too picky, just needs a home and a job. :

Thanks in advance!
#26 of 370 Old 12-03-2008, 01:45 PM

Jessie I will keep looking too. I am determined to find you something close to me (and I mean walking distance close ) Unless you don't want to be that close to me.

The kids are back today they have been at grandma's since Saturday. Its been nice and so quiet and I miss them terribly! I cannot wait to see them.

#27 of 370 Old 12-03-2008, 03:26 PM

yeah..Phenergan knocks me out totally. In fact, I've had a case of the stomach bug this week and just busted out the bottle from the cupboard last night to help with the rolling nausea. I slept 12 hours straight through. I guess DH brought the baby to me twice to nurse and I didn't even know it. (Sleeping in a different room to try to not get everyone else sick.)

When I was pregnant, I would take a Phenergan and literally fall asleep in the middle of a sentence. no joke.

Me:
#28 of 370 Old 12-03-2008, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Allison...have any updates for your blog? I always read your blog and well...nothing is new since Oct. 23

We are also looking to move..in January....back yard, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, garage are my requirements...oh 900 and under.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#29 of 370 Old 12-03-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lileigh View Post
My friend is staying with me and she's been on here for quite a while but she's had some really rough hits lately and we are looking for a place for her to rent... So if anyone see's anything interesting please let me know! She needs a 2 or more bedroom and it needs to have a place for the kids to play and be flexible with credit issues- she's a single mom trying to support herself and her 3 homeschooled kiddo's and we've got to find her a place that can understand all of that!
She's also looking for work, so any leads there would be great!
We are in the Fishers Landing part of town and would like to stay close over here because I will do her child care for her... but she's not too picky, just needs a home and a job. :

Thanks in advance!
Check Craigslist! There are a LOT of listings on there for two bedrooms. There are a few for 3 bedroom apartments which sound decent, but we really really want to avoid an apartment. Tell her to avoid Evergreen Park Apts. It's so not worth the stress.

Quote:
Jessie I will keep looking too. I am determined to find you something close to me (and I mean walking distance close ) Unless you don't want to be that close to me.

The kids are back today they have been at grandma's since Saturday. Its been nice and so quiet and I miss them terribly! I cannot wait to see them.
Pft. Your neighborhood is the perfect location. We have an appt. at 5 to see a house, but it's way out by Vanc. Lake. We would be out of HCA district and I wouldn't be able to get the kids to school on Fridays anyway
#30 of 370 Old 12-03-2008, 05:40 PM

Where is LaCenter? {And please don't say "Between LaLeft and LaRight" like Mick did }

Nevermind, I found it. Out past Ridgefield, tooooo far!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page