December in Seattle - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 104 Old 12-23-2008, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Woohoo! Glad you guys got out, but I'm jealous. I think I'm going to tempt fate tomorrow. dd needs some socialization with her peers, and I just need some kind of outside world.

Plus, I'm out of a few things. Related to coffee consumption. This just will not do. :

How much snow did you have? We're at 12" when I checked last, but even our little road is pretty compacted at this point.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#62 of 104 Old 12-23-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darciedoodle View Post
I agree! I'm thinking I should give you all my moth eaten sweaters, you could give them a new life.
I am always up for donations of moth-eaten sweaters! Or any sweaters, really. They can either be cut up, or the yarn harvested. Woo-hoo!

I'm still loving the snow. I was out of milk yesterday, and DH came up with a creative solution---he grabbed 4 of the 8-oz milk cartons from the fridge at work. Love that guy.

Now I just need to get supplies for all of the vege meals we'll need to prepare this coming week while SIL and BIL are in town. Hopefully their plane will make it here from London okay. *cross fingers*

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#63 of 104 Old 12-23-2008, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

I am getting out today to finish up some shopping. And if my son ever wakes up I will go to the gym and let him play there. I never thought I would be happy to hear a weather forecast of rain. Good ol rain- How I missed thee.
#64 of 104 Old 12-23-2008, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sara - I have a really pretty pink cashemere sweater that the moths got to. I wasn't sure what to do with it, but I'll have to pass it on to you. I hate to throw things away, but I have no talent to do anything with it (and I only have boys anyways!)

I cannot wait for clear roads! Taking 20 minutes to get from our house to the main road (usually under a 5 minute drive) is driving me bonkers. And last night when I was craving french bread and roma tomatoes, neither of which we had in the house, I couldn't send dh out because the roads would have been a sheet of ice!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#65 of 104 Old 12-23-2008, 03:42 PM

Glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling stir-crazy. DH has been working from home since Thursday and it has been so nice to have him around. Today he is back at work and he took the car with the kids' seats in it, so I'm feeling a bit lonely and cooped up. I'm thinking about making another cup of coffee, that always makes me feel better!
#66 of 104 Old 12-23-2008, 11:09 PM

WE MADE IT OUT OF THE HOUSE TODAY!
It took me FOREVER to shovel the driveway enough to get my car out. My back and wrists are killing me. We just went to Target & Cost Plus which is nearby, and stocked up on a few things. And of course, it was pretty nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplehome View Post
I'm still loving the snow. I was out of milk yesterday, and DH came up with a creative solution---he grabbed 4 of the 8-oz milk cartons from the fridge at work. Love that guy.
Your DH must work at Microsoft too, eh? How many of us are there, here?

#67 of 104 Old 12-24-2008, 04:06 AM

My dh works at MS as well. I didn't know yours did bjorker! Dh actually keeps cereal in his office because he gets the free milk at work (as well as free bowls and spoons), so he often just eats breakfast there!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#68 of 104 Old 12-24-2008, 05:35 AM

I remember that you mentioned that at one point. I know other people have too, but I don't remember who. I think there was a mama that popped in at some point that was working there, herself.
My DPs at the main campus in a brand new building. Number 30-something, don't quite remember.

#69 of 104 Old 12-24-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiestever View Post
Oh Amy- you are always the voice of reason. And you know far better than I about snow, but I don't know how to stay couped up in the house without going slightly insane. You should see Malik in the snow, it's hilarious. He doesn't want to put on any of his warm stuff until the cold hits his face. And then he is tantruming and can't hear me because he's screaming, Geesh. And he wants to wear his mittens and his "helmet" (hat), but doesn't want to let go of his car bag or his z bar, and must put them at that moment.. Too funny. Not so funny when Mimi follows suit.
I thought it was funny when DD.... who was born and spent two VERY cold winters in WI, WILL NOT put on her coat. Like, when have we ever been able to go out in snow and not have to have just our eyes showing? Like the coat is THAT bad compared to the bundling we had to do just 11 short months ago?

And yeah.. 2 yr olds are fun , and with the little echo, that would be tiring. We've just let DD go out in short spurts in whatever (within reason)... they learn to bundle up. You do have to get out of the house though, even if it takes forever. As long as you're not in a hurry the roads aren't THAT bad, at least for short trips just to get out a bit.

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#70 of 104 Old 12-24-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorker View Post
I remember that you mentioned that at one point. I know other people have too, but I don't remember who. I think there was a mama that popped in at some point that was working there, herself.
My DPs at the main campus in a brand new building. Number 30-something, don't quite remember.
Dh is in Millenium now, but the new buildings being built right next to 520 will be where he'll move to this Spring when they are done. I guess they have the largest underground parking garage in the western hemisphere! His commute will be way worse when he does move. Right now he doesn't have to get on 520 at all.

We're sitting here watching the snow come down wondering if we'll be able to make it to my mom's for Christmas Eve dinner (which has been moved more to lunch so we can get home before the roads freeze). I'm going to be upset if we miss it. We decided we can at least get together for presents on boxing day if we can't get together today.

#71 of 104 Old 12-24-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Your DH must work at Microsoft too, eh? How many of us are there, here?
Mine is former MS, after 10 years he needed a break so he's at Amazon. I miss the health insurance! His commute is longer now, we're out east of Redmond but he seems to like it and doesn't complain about more time on the bus.

Jessica
Wife of one Uber-Geek: Homeschooling mom of Bubs -12 :, Buggy - 7 :, and MonkeyButt - 5 :
#72 of 104 Old 12-24-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I am a MSoftie! I used to have a habit of bringing DH home some V8s, need to start that back up now that I am back from my leave.

Mommy to DS (05/08), in love with my SAH DH, waiting for someone new any day now. innocent.gif
#73 of 104 Old 12-24-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonAmiBella View Post
Mine is former MS, after 10 years he needed a break so he's at Amazon.
There's another Amazon wife here too. I'll let her share that if she wants to. I don't know if everyone likes to share that kind of information.

Anyone for Boeing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
Dh is in Millenium now, but the new buildings being built right next to 520 will be where he'll move to this Spring when they are done. I guess they have the largest underground parking garage in the western hemisphere! His commute will be way worse when he does move. Right now he doesn't have to get on 520 at all.
That would probably be a good move for my DP, depending on where on 520 it is. He has to come from 405 anyway. It's too bad your Dh has to make that move.
I have no idea what Millenium is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
We're sitting here watching the snow come down wondering if we'll be able to make it to my mom's for Christmas Eve dinner (which has been moved more to lunch so we can get home before the roads freeze). I'm going to be upset if we miss it. We decided we can at least get together for presents on boxing day if we can't get together today.
We were supposed to go to my mom's today too, and she decided to cancel because she was too worried about driving conditions for us. : I guess we'll reschedule Christmas for next week sometime.
We have more plans with other family tomorrow, and I'm hoping that they hold.

#74 of 104 Old 12-24-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyPixie View Post
I am a MSoftie! I used to have a habit of bringing DH home some V8s, need to start that back up now that I am back from my leave.
well, you're in good company!
My DP is a diet-soda-aholic so he often comes home with like 3 stuffed in his coat. :X

#75 of 104 Old 12-24-2008, 07:33 PM

Oh how I wish DH worked for a big ol' company like MS or Boeing! I'm so tired of playing the wonder-if-we're-gunna-get-a-paycheck-cuz-we're-self-employed game. I shouldn't be complaining because DH has a job. Ok -I'm all done with my pity party.
#76 of 104 Old 12-25-2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:

That would probably be a good move for my DP, depending on where on 520 it is. He has to come from 405 anyway. It's too bad your Dh has to make that move.
I have no idea what Millenium is.

Millenium is basically at the end of 520 and union hill.

We did make it to my moms. We barely made it home! We're planning on going down to Auburn for Christmas with dh's parents tomorrow. We're going to bring clothes and jammies and toothbrushes and stay the night, most likely.

#77 of 104 Old 12-25-2008, 01:23 AM

Oh man, ds2 just puked. It may be an interesting Christmas. I sure hope it was just something he ate...

#78 of 104 Old 12-25-2008, 03:32 AM

My Christmas Eve pretty much sucks. I fortunately/or unfortunately (how ever you want to see it) live next door to my parents. Yesterday my Dad fell down and refused to go to the E.R., even after the fire department was kind enough to come and pick him up.

He obviously had something seriously wrong and fell again today and was taken in to Virginia Mason. I'm thinking it's relatively minor for his age, but he'll most likely have to stay in assisted care for awhile. We'll be spending x-mas day visiting him at the hospital and dealing with my mother, who doesn't handle this kind of stress well.

At least it's stopped snowing and the snow is melting!
#79 of 104 Old 12-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Sorry to hear about your evening Darcie!! It makes me remember the New Year's that I was 5 months pregnant, and my 94 yr old grandma fell and broke her hip. My bro and mom don't handle blood/hospitals/sickness well, so it ended up that I spent the next 3 days making sure that no one totally flipped out (with only moderate success), making sure that my G'ma got the care she needed since my mom was just not able to make sane decisions (plus G'ma has Alzheimers so she kept asking why she was there), running between waiting rooms and G'ma's room, making sure that my mom ate, my bro ate, my husband and SIL ate, telling people when to just go home and when to come back, calling other family members about the status, etc.

So I feel you. I hope it all works out ok and that someday, years from now, the whole thing is just a minor story. Also, the refusing to go get medical treatment sounds very familiar, and MAN does that make the whole thing harder!

#80 of 104 Old 12-25-2008, 02:17 PM

Oh Darcie I hope your Dad is ok. That's not a fun way to spend the holidays.

It's STILL snowing here. But it is the first white christmas I've EVER had (my 28th Christmas). There was one here one year when I was younger, but we were in OR and it didn't snow there until the 26th!

Ds2 seems better this morning. No puke yet (knock on wood). But I reek and he reeks from dealing with it all night! Ugh! I don't want to put him in the bath, though, until I know he's done.

#81 of 104 Old 12-26-2008, 01:37 AM

weirdest thing, noah. avery puked his guts out all night, and then poof! was all better this morning. my fingers are crossed so hard that tristan (and especially not justin!) avoids getting it.

darcie, how's your dad?
#82 of 104 Old 12-26-2008, 06:33 PM

My Dad fractured his hip and they are "pinning" it back today. I guess they screw 3 pins into in to hold it in place so that he can move while it heals. Otherwise he would be bedridden for 8-12 weeks. I'm guessing he'll go to assisted living for quite awhile. Hopefully he'll be able to recover and come back home. It's a bummer around here.

At least we didn't have any puke for Christmas. That would be a bummer too.
#83 of 104 Old 12-26-2008, 06:34 PM

Strange that they are sick at the same time, and weren't even around each other. Lor was fine all Christmas day, ate, played, and everything. We stayed over at the in-laws so we didn't have to drive home in the ice at night, and he puked all over their bed (where we were sleeping) at midnight. And then again this morning, but not since. I have no idea what is going on. We decided to postpone my birthday plans for a week since we don't want to drop Lor off to be babysat if he's still sick tomorrow (my MIL was going to watch the boys while Eric and I did brunch at the needle).

Darcie - I hope the pinning and such works out for your dad. How stressful for you.

#84 of 104 Old 12-26-2008, 07:18 PM

I cannot believe it's snowing AGAIN! :
#85 of 104 Old 12-26-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
My Dad fractured his hip and they are "pinning" it back today. I guess they screw 3 pins into in to hold it in place so that he can move while it heals. Otherwise he would be bedridden for 8-12 weeks. I'm guessing he'll go to assisted living for quite awhile. Hopefully he'll be able to recover and come back home. It's a bummer around here.
I'm so sorry about your dad! I wish I was more positive about it or had a great recovery story to tell (my gram broke her hip too and got pins as well), but our story didn't turn out very well, b/c my grandma is very....well.... spirited...

I hope that your dad is able to let himself take it easy for a while so he can let his body heal. Hips are surprisingly heal-able (if only the person gives it the time it needs to do so)!!!

#86 of 104 Old 12-26-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennklogan View Post
I cannot believe it's snowing AGAIN! :
We haven't gotten rain here yet. About an hour of mix today. Other than that snow snow snow. Ugh! The roads in my neighborhood are terrible right now!

#87 of 104 Old 12-27-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortexing View Post
I'm so sorry about your dad! I wish I was more positive about it or had a great recovery story to tell (my gram broke her hip too and got pins as well), but our story didn't turn out very well, b/c my grandma is very....well.... spirited...

I hope that your dad is able to let himself take it easy for a while so he can let his body heal. Hips are surprisingly heal-able (if only the person gives it the time it needs to do so)!!!
Thanks, Amy. I didn't think you were negative, in fact it helps to know other's have been down this road before. I really expect that my Dad will be in assisted care for the rest of his life, he's probably got a 10-20% chance of returning home and his recovery will be hell!

The crazy thing is this happens to so many elderly people in our society, what can we do to prevent it from happening to us or our children?! I read yesterday in a cookbook that people in China eat a lot of cooked greens, and they have virtually no arthritis. We had lentil soup with kale tonight.

The latest drama is my sister called and said she's flying out tonight. My Mom and her can't stand to be in the same room together and I'm also better off not spending too much time around her. She is famous for "gestapo" visits as her husband works for an airline. Normally she comes to town, calls my parents, tells them about all the great sight-seeing things they are doing, and then blows them off, meeting them once during a visit for dinner only on her schedule. I decided not to tell my mom about her impending visit because I know she wouldn't sleep well if she knew about it. Tonight is her first night home so she could use a good nights sleep. Tomorrow should be interesting!

You know, the other thing I find ironic with dealing with someone who didn't want to go to the E.R. l wanted to have non-hospital births, without intervention and pretty much shun the main stream medical establishment now. Just imagine how I'll be when I'm old. I've often stated that I don't want over people's parts put inside of me, does that include "replacement parts" or "metal pins"? My kids will be dragging me to any kind of medical treatment I might need when I'm old too.

I really hope this snow disappears soon! Our roads SUCK! I do hear rain dripping so it must be melting.

So on a lighter note: Lily got a "Princess & The Pea" doll for Christmas from Santa. Last night she was playing with it, tucking the princess in and she said "she peed on the bed"...It was hilarious.
#88 of 104 Old 12-27-2008, 04:04 AM

We had our own Christmas drama, although in the scheme of things it's not that big of a deal. We decided to keep our plans on Christmas day with my aunt, but almost got stuck at her house last night. My poor car couldn't make it back up her driveway. My grandparent's also needed a ride home. My aunt and uncle were starting to make plans for us all to stay there. I don't sleep well on the fly without all my stuff and was kind of freaking out about it.

In the end, my cousin's boyfriend spent 2 hrs putting chains on his car (he had them in his trunk for years, but had never used 'em!) and shuttled us all home. My poor grandpa, who's pushing 90, usually naps a lot and goes to bed early, so they were first to go home. It was still really late for him. So... we went to leave at around 7pm and didn't end up getting home until 11pm! It's normally about a 20 minute drive between the two houses, so that was a bit ridiculous.

We went back to pick up my car today, and had no problem... BUT then it started snowing really hard on the way home. We took the opportunity to stop at the store, but holy crap it was just a mess. I was afraid my car wouldn't make it out of the parking lot. It wasn't easy. Now I'm happy to stay home a little longer! Heh.

I still never got to see my mom or my sister. My sister has her own christmas drama going on with her dad's side of the family (we have diff. dads), so who knows when we'll all have a chance to get together again.

But other than that... We had a good Christmas. hehe. Christmas morning was wonderful, before we had to leave the house. that'll teach me to complain about being stuck at home!

#89 of 104 Old 12-27-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Amy. I didn't think you were negative, in fact it helps to know other's have been down this road before. I really expect that my Dad will be in assisted care for the rest of his life, he's probably got a 10-20% chance of returning home and his recovery will be hell!
darcie!

#90 of 104 Old 12-27-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
There's another Amazon wife here too. I'll let her share that if she wants to. I don't know if everyone likes to share that kind of information.
Me? We moved across the country for Amazon

Quote:
Anyone for Boeing?
My neighbor? Actually thanks to our proximity to Boeing Field, I bet there are a number of Boeing employees in my neighborhood.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page