December in Seattle - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 104 Old 12-27-2008, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonAmiBella View Post
Mine is former MS, after 10 years he needed a break so he's at Amazon. I miss the health insurance! His commute is longer now, we're out east of Redmond but he seems to like it and doesn't complain about more time on the bus.
There seem to be a number of DH's co-workers doing that commute as amazon feeds itself with new workers. We live just south of downtown in part for the shorter commute and general proximity to DH during the day (DD and I can bus downtown for lunch or whatever if he is working longer than usual hours....).

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#92 of 104 Old 12-27-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinBird View Post
Me? We moved across the country for Amazon
Yep, you are the magical mystery person.
I've actually had several people leave from MY little job to go to Amazon, but there's no comparison there. I would head on over to Amazon in a second. Especially if I could work anywhere near the books. I'd settle for distribution center work, though (hear that, Amazon? ).

Quote:
My neighbor? Actually thanks to our proximity to Boeing Field, I bet there are a number of Boeing employees in my neighborhood.
Same here, due to our proximity to the Everett plant. I've known so many Boeing employees 'round these parts, so I thought it was funny that there were so many Microsofties here, but nobody Boeing. Should we assume that they're not Natural Family-Friendly?

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#93 of 104 Old 12-27-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darciedoodle View Post
Thanks, Amy. I didn't think you were negative, in fact it helps to know other's have been down this road before. I really expect that my Dad will be in assisted care for the rest of his life, he's probably got a 10-20% chance of returning home and his recovery will be hell!
I'm sorry to hear that. We were not in the 10-20%. In fact, my gram was soooo not into the hospital thing, that I could hardly keep her from trying to escape the ER with a broken hip the first night (I'm not even kidding, b/c of the Alzheimer's, she couldn't remember why she was there, and she must've had massive endorphins going and couldn't feel the pain). She got pinned up, and went to recovery.... So then, she tries to escape again in the middle of the night when we weren't there, and guess what happens? She falls and breaks the other hip... So since my Aunt and Uncle were on the other side of the world on a trip, and we had to go home, we had to actually hire a grandma baby sitter to sit with her 24 hours a day to remind her why she was there and make sure she didn't try to escape again. Escape is the only way to put it too - she was even lying to the nurses about where she was going, then made a break for the door. It all ended up seeming so undignified for someone like her. If her 30 yr old self could've seen her 90+ yr old self, I'm sure she would've been appalled (though she always was VERY harsh on herself and others).

Like I said, my gram is very "spirited." It makes me wonder too what I'll be like when I'm old, and if I will be able to accept the health problems that come with age (or eat enough greens to make it not happen!!). I hope I can do it more gracefully than she did, but she had the Alzheimer's complication and that's just sooo hard to compensate for. I'm sure if she was still making good decisions, once we explained the situation, she would've hated being in the hospital, but wouldn't have been the escape artist she was.

So I'm guessing your dad probably won't be facing the same issues, so hopefully you'll be in the 10-20%. In hindsight though, for us, I'm sorry for how it had to happen (we were trying to get my gram to move to a retirement community before the incident), but in the end, it really prevented her from getting hurt again and has helped deal with the medical issues she had but was ignoring. Being in assisted living has been, in some ways, a blessing, b/c she really did need someone to be with her.

Amy, mama to "Pumpkin" (DD1, 5/16/06) and "Squashy" (DD2, 7/10/09)
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"- Confucius
#94 of 104 Old 12-27-2008, 01:28 PM

Boeing wife here

I thought I posted this last night, but I guess I didn't. I need to find a place for a meeting with a client. Here are the parameters:

~Northgate'ish location (that's about halfway between our homes)
~Easy access to I-5 (going down into Ballard, for example, negates the benefit of meeting half way)
~Comfy seating where we can sit and talk for an hour or so.
~Not Starbucks- we both avoid like the plague.

Neither of us know the area well, so I'm hoping someone here has a favorite indie coffee house to suggest.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#95 of 104 Old 12-27-2008, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
memiles - if you're ok with a non-coffee house and would be ok doing drinks and dessert or a meal, we love indo cafe which is right by northgate mall right off of the freeway. http://www.yelp.com/biz/indo-cafe-seattle They have lots of exotic type drinks and yummy desserts, as well as really good indonesian food if you're up for a meal.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#96 of 104 Old 12-27-2008, 05:50 PM

Oops, forgot to add that we are meeting in the morning. I'd rather avoid a meal type situation- not that I don't like to eat, but I have multiple food allergies and when we bring food into the equation in my professional life it makes me feel like the focus is too much on me and not enough on my clients. Coffee/tea places tend to be the easiest I've found.

Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#97 of 104 Old 12-27-2008, 07:37 PM

There's a cute little coffee house in Maple Leaf not too far off I-5 called Cloud City Coffee. I've seen it pretty busy in there, and I've also seen it quiet in there-- but there are quite a few tables. Hopefully it wouldn't be too loud for you if it's busy.

#98 of 104 Old 12-27-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorker View Post
there's a cute little coffee house in maple leaf not too far off i-5 called cloud city coffee. I've seen it pretty busy in there, and i've also seen it quiet in there-- but there are quite a few tables. Hopefully it wouldn't be too loud for you if it's busy.
perfect!

#99 of 104 Old 12-28-2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Mine is former MS, after 10 years he needed a break so he's at Amazon. I miss the health insurance!
10 years for mine too-except he's didn't go to Amazon. We miss the health insurance, the 401K match, the prime card-ugh its making me depressed just thinking about it.

Darcie-I'm sorry to hear about your dad.

Janaya-how are your kids? We had a stomach bug go through our house about a month ago. It really sucked. DH got it first and we all thought it had to be food poisoning until everyone else got sick too!

Megan-I was going to say Cloud City too! Also Cafe Javasti has a nice atmosphere on 85th and 5th NE but I don't care for the coffee too much.

I was so excited that I got the car out of the parking spot this afternoon without needing a push from dh! Our Christmas Eve celebration has been cancelled twice already for the snow. We got stuck 3 times on Christmas day. Twice getting off our block and once in Kirkland where dh's uncle had to tow us back to the main street.

We never made it to the carousel downtown this year. Anyone know if they keep it up until the New Year?

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#100 of 104 Old 12-29-2008, 04:21 AM

#2 got it last night. his was a little more harsh than big brother's, surprising given he's still nursing (he couldn't even keep breastmilk down). it seems he's done now though, knock wood. is there any sadder little kid face than the puking one? my heart just breaks into a million pieces when they are all scared and shocked and grossed out. :'(
#101 of 104 Old 12-29-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janaya View Post
#2 got it last night. his was a little more harsh than big brother's, surprising given he's still nursing (he couldn't even keep breastmilk down). it seems he's done now though, knock wood. is there any sadder little kid face than the puking one? my heart just breaks into a million pieces when they are all scared and shocked and grossed out. :'(
Awww, poor Tristan. And poor mama too! I know just the feeling you mean.

I'll never forget the first time Aurelia threw up. It went all over my boob. Hehe. I guess I will say that is one downside of extended bf'ing (well, as extended as my boobs let me go).

#102 of 104 Old 12-29-2008, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It is way worse when they are that little and can't understand it at all. Lor's face when he threw up broke my heart. He would just cry and cry. And then he'd feel hungry and beg for food (I would nurse, but no solids) and I felt like such a mean mama not letting him eat! I hope Tristan is feeling better soon!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#103 of 104 Old 12-31-2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorker View Post
I would head on over to Amazon in a second. Especially if I could work anywhere near the books. I'd settle for distribution center work, though (hear that, Amazon? ).
Quote:
Me? We moved across the country for Amazon
Quote:
Mine is former MS, after 10 years he needed a break so he's at Amazon. I miss the health insurance! His commute is longer now, we're out east of Redmond but he seems to like it and doesn't complain about more time on the bus.

We live in Tacoma so I don't usually look at the Seattle threads, but today I did and it's fun to see how many amazonians there are. Hubby is one, again at long last (he worked Seattle Customer Service in the mass layoff in '01, the day after he proposed)...we met while working there...I was in Tacoma when there was CS there and he became one of my cyber-team Leads right before we met, LOL. Anyway, he spent 6 years in various jobs and companies that ended up giving him the perfect knowledge and experience to get the job he has now with them, and we're just SO happy he's there.

And since we live near downtown Tacoma, and his commute involves walking, Tacoma downtown lightrail, the Sounder train, and more walking, he was able to get in the whole week of lots of snow! Only missed ONE day and that was after it started icing in Tacoma. He got lots of "thanks" Starbucks giftcards from his department for that.

OK go back to your normal Seattle talk.
#104 of 104 Old 12-31-2008, 02:27 AM

Quote:
There seem to be a number of DH's co-workers doing that commute as amazon feeds itself with new workers. We live just south of downtown in part for the shorter commute and general proximity to DH during the day (DD and I can bus downtown for lunch or whatever if he is working longer than usual hours....).
Erinbird - are you in G'Town neighborhood?

Me: almost 40, RN DW: 38, CPD Boy: born 4/2/2007 Girl: born 8/23/2010
Queer Parenting since 2007

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page