Vancouver/SW WA Cookie and Treat Exchange - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 82 Old 12-14-2008, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Church was canceled today and ODOT is saying chains required on highways. It doesn't seem like much here, but I guess in PDX there's some bad spots--specially west hills.

We're still planning on it, unless things get really bad. I can be back up bread person. We tried a new whole wheat recipe that I really liked yesterday and I've got some more dough rising right now...

Also thinking I'll bring some Chai

Jessie, how are you feeling? Do you need a ride to Allison's tonight? I've got to drive past your place and there's no need for Mick to load up all the kiddos that way...

Urban homesteader wanna be and homeschooling mama to the artist : 1/2003 and the peanut 6/2008 :
#62 of 82 Old 12-14-2008, 04:01 PM

okay I am NOT coming

went to the store and did fine, but the other drivers is what I'm worried about.

that and it's 25 outside and it's freezing so it's only going to get worse towards dark.

eric doesn't want me driving in it either. which I don't blame him since I'll be by myself.

so have fun for me and I'll be sitting here eating only one kind of cookie. at least they taste good.

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
#63 of 82 Old 12-14-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luli View Post
Okay how about a Sunday morning rambly post? I've been stressing because my buckeyes are well, in short, UGLY. They taste really good but they are ugly. I'm having a heck of a time getting them to release from the pan and I'm sad that I have to bring something so ugly to share with you ladies. So I apologize in advance. I almost decided not to come because it's embarassing.

Jessie-Do you still need boxes? No promises but I might have some moving boxes in my garage and you are welcome to them. They are flattened but that's something that a bit of packing tape will help. Let me know and I can bring them this evening if you'd like.

Allison-I was checking out Sewing Alley last evening and you have a thing or two that I want to purchase. Do I need to order it from your hyena cart or can I see you and pay you? Either way no big deal.

--Luli
I've found that ugly cookies and treats seem to taste the best. My fudge? BRIGHT green. My hand shook when I added the 'dash' of coloring and instead of the mellow, pale green it's very very bright. But it tastes good!

I am in desperate need of boxes and flattened ones fit best in the car. I would VERY much appreciate them!!
#64 of 82 Old 12-14-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meenajo View Post
Church was canceled today and ODOT is saying chains required on highways. It doesn't seem like much here, but I guess in PDX there's some bad spots--specially west hills.

We're still planning on it, unless things get really bad. I can be back up bread person. We tried a new whole wheat recipe that I really liked yesterday and I've got some more dough rising right now...

Also thinking I'll bring some Chai

Jessie, how are you feeling? Do you need a ride to Allison's tonight? I've got to drive past your place and there's no need for Mick to load up all the kiddos that way...
Cursed snow, keeping people home It couldn't have held off one more day?

I stayed in bed almost all day, and I'm feeling much better than usual. I got up long enough to do necessary stuff, but kept laying right back down and it really helped my stomach. This is about the time of day when things get really bad most days, but I feel okay right now. So yay!

I bet Mick would love not having to go out! Call me later to let me know when to be ready by. Thank you!
#65 of 82 Old 12-14-2008, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I live down the street so I will be there...

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#66 of 82 Old 12-14-2008, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

We were just out and other than a belt falling off our darn car and the power steering going out it was pretty uneventful. We made it to church and then came home. The power steering went out right when we pulled in. : Darn stupid piece of junk car.

So I will be here and Joe is taking the older kids out. Thanks for doing bread Amoreena! I still need to make more cookies and send Joe to the store (as I now have no car ) to get stuff for soup.

See you all tonight!

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#67 of 82 Old 12-14-2008, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
I live down the street so I will be there...
How close to me are you? :

#68 of 82 Old 12-14-2008, 06:29 PM

Spinach dip is made and chilling, cookie bars and fudge are waiting for me to cut them and I am even going to shower in a few minutes. Is there anything else I can bring? I have some soda to bring up, too.
#69 of 82 Old 12-14-2008, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Umm I have yet to finish the cookies. I still need to make 2 more batches. The car breaking threw the morning off and Nomy won't quit nursing. Joe spent a large chunk of the afternoon doing the heat lamp in the chicken coop so they are toasty warm but I am soo behind getting stuff done.

So expect my sewing table to still be out as I am not going to have time to pack everything up.

#70 of 82 Old 12-14-2008, 08:15 PM

You have had some really rotten luck with cars this year, Allison! I'm sorry you're having car trouble again.

I'm trying to sweet talk my husband into going out to BG to pick up some boxes for me. I don't think he realises how much stuff we have to pack up!

I just got dressed! I just need to slice the baguette, hollow out the bowl and cut the bars. Oooh, and find a cookie container. I have no idea what I'm going to bring cookies home in, but there might be a revolt from my children if I don't bring any home

Allison, don't stress about the sewing table ~ so not a big deal! I think it's really sweet of you to host again.
#71 of 82 Old 12-14-2008, 08:44 PM

Ugh, that sucks Allison! No worries about the sewing table, we might need extra space to lay out our cookies anyway.

Trying to figure out how to transport hot chai Could just bring the ingredients and mix it up there...

Urban homesteader wanna be and homeschooling mama to the artist : 1/2003 and the peanut 6/2008 :
#72 of 82 Old 12-14-2008, 10:26 PM

I'm not going to make it...dark icy roads and ill prepared tires....
#73 of 82 Old 12-14-2008, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meenajo View Post
No worries about the sewing table, we might need extra space to lay out our cookies anyway.
That would work if it was not covered in sewing stuff.

#74 of 82 Old 12-15-2008, 02:31 AM

That was so much fun

Allison, thanks for hosting, the soup was yummy and Lilly is really excited about the pretzel cookies :

Jessie, I'm glad you made it and hope it wasn't too much for you! The lemon bars are sooooo yummy (at least the stuff I licked off my fingers )

Courtney, it's always nice to see you. Those chocolate w/ powdered sugar cookies were awesome--not only were they beautiful, but tasty too! You're looking awesome, btw.

Cori, it was great to see you again. The buck eyes were super yummy!

McKenzie it was nice to meet you. Welcome to the 'couv. Remind me to tell you about ACE if you're looking for homeschool stuff w/ the kiddos.

We totally need to do this again. I was just happy w/ a MNO, but the cookies were a huge bonus. What else can we swap ladies? Or maybe we can just have regular MNO's. Totally willing to host another in the next month or 2...

#75 of 82 Old 12-15-2008, 05:01 AM

I am sorry I missed it! I am really sad.

I so wanted to have some adult time really needed it but I walked outside with the kids and stared slipping everywhere. I am sure it wasn't that bad but I didn't want to chance it.

I would love to host something sometime!

If anyone wants to come to our open house next weekend let me know.
#76 of 82 Old 12-15-2008, 12:37 PM

I'm sad that I missed it, but it sounds like pdx was hit harder than the couv with the ice.

yes another mno is in order.

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
#77 of 82 Old 12-15-2008, 02:25 PM

sounds like you ladies had fun! sorry I didn't make it...me and the kids made cinnamon-applesauce ornaments and no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies...and played in the snow! there was no driving yesterday and none today...icey!
#78 of 82 Old 12-15-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
I'm sad that I missed it, but it sounds like pdx was hit harder than the couv with the ice.

yes another mno is in order.
PDX was hit a LOT harder than Vancouver. M said that crossing the bridge yesterday the difference between the two states was huge; he said it was practically bare up here, but a mess down there.

I had so much fun! I'm sorry I started to get a little green toward the end. We definitely need to do another MNO soon. I like the idea of monthly get togethers!
#79 of 82 Old 12-15-2008, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

I had so much fun too! I too think we should do MNO monthly of every other. We could rotate houses or whatever. Should I start a post in Vancouver thread about it?

#80 of 82 Old 12-15-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
I had so much fun too! I too think we should do MNO monthly of every other. We could rotate houses or whatever. Should I start a post in Vancouver thread about it?
Yes, for sure!

I'll host for February!
#81 of 82 Old 12-15-2008, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Blog post and pictures about cookie exchange on my blog. Link in signature.

#82 of 82 Old 12-15-2008, 05:48 PM

PM for address

HOLIDAY OPEN HOUSE

Host: McDonald Family
Vancouver, WA 98684 US

When:
Saturday, December 20, 6:00PM to 8:00PM
AND
Sunday, December 21, 6:00PM to 8:00PM

Phone: 360

You Are Invited To Our House For A Holiday Open House!

This is our 10th year doing this and our gift to you.

Our Doors Will Be Open Between 6-8 PM.

We decided to open the house up BOTH nights. So you can take your pick!

We Hope to See You!

Also if you are unable to attend the party and still want to see all of the lights just call or swing on by anytime!

Thank you each and everyone!

We wish you all a very Happy Holiday!

We are at over 800 cookies/goodies so far and still baking!

And Hot butter Rum Batter is made!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page