I called CPS - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-15-2008, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just really need to know if I over-reacted.

I picked up my daughter from her daycare today at 4:30pm (26 degrees outside) and saw that she had been playing outside. In the dark (no lights on the playground). Without a coat. For I don't know how long.

The teachers *snottily* inferred that they had asked her where her coat was, she didn't answer, so they figured "what they hey, it's her body".

She is in Kindergarten. Who the heck thinks that a 5 1/2 year old should be in charge of their physical safety - that's why she's at the #$% daycare.

Long story short - I freaked out. There were a bunch of other after school kids without coats. After I finished my panic attack, I went home and called CPS on the daycare. My mommy instincts tell me I did the right thing but I can't help worrying that somehow it won't matter. It's not just my kid either...there were a bunch of them. Sheesh!

The ironic thing is that this was her last week. Her brothers are in JR high and ride the same bus as her, so they are going to watch her after school the 10 minutes it takes me to get home. Today was a late fluke because of all the icy driving. I trust her more with our cat than I do this daycare.

Ack!

Me 37 hang.gif, DH - 43 computergeek2.gif, DSS-18 caffix.gif, DS - 17 wild.gif, DD - 11 joy.gif, and DS - due 6/14 belly.gif. Having another homebirth.jpg and nocirc.gif .
#2 of 19 Old 12-15-2008, 11:31 PM

If the kids were running around, it's likely they were fine without coats.
#3 of 19 Old 12-15-2008, 11:35 PM

Fine without coats in 26 degree weather just because they are running around? Unless they all had wool sweaters on, I disagree. At the very least, a hat on but no coat would be okay. It was 23 degrees when I went out today and I had me and my toddler bundled up.
#4 of 19 Old 12-15-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Fine without coats in 26 degree weather just because they are running around? Unless they all had wool sweaters on, I disagree. At the very least, a hat on but no coat would be okay. It was 23 degrees when I went out today and I had me and my toddler bundled up.
plus u need to take into account the WINDCHILL ...it probably is much colder then that and i would have called the management of the day care and cps... its freaking the coldest its ever been in oregon in like a decade . sothey need coats and hats and lots more bundles on...
#5 of 19 Old 12-15-2008, 11:40 PM

Even being bundled up with a sweater and a coat and gloves but no hat, I was painfully cold while I was outside today. I think it was around the same temperature here. The gusts of icy wind were really awful too.

I would have called CPS too and never ever bring my child back to that daycare again.
#6 of 19 Old 12-15-2008, 11:45 PM

I don't think you over-reacted. If my DS was at this day care- he could have had a severe asthma attack from the cold. Heck, if my HOUSE is below 65degrees he's WAY more likely to have an attack!

I think you did the right thing. My mom works for the Public School system, and knew K-3 teachers that were WRITTEN up for not INSISTING they leave the classroom with coats on- what they do on the playground is another matter- but the teacher BLATENTLY saying that they asked and let her out anyway- NO WAY. Bad, Bad, Bad judgment on the adult's part.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#7 of 19 Old 12-16-2008, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would have called as well. That is endangering a child to not have them properly dressed in the cold.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#8 of 19 Old 12-16-2008, 01:01 AM

Well, someone should probably call them on my then, since my 3 yr old was out in the 1"of snow we got last week w/only boots, pants, shirt & his knight in shining armor costume. He refused to come in & put anything else one. We figured when he was cold enough he'd come in & he did.

Honestly, I think it's a bit of an overreaction. Shrug.
#9 of 19 Old 12-16-2008, 01:12 AM

I remember being a kid and really not feeling cold in very cold weather. That being said I don't think you over-reacted.
#10 of 19 Old 12-16-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdoula View Post
Well, someone should probably call them on my then, since my 3 yr old was out in the 1"of snow we got last week w/only boots, pants, shirt & his knight in shining armor costume. He refused to come in & put anything else one. We figured when he was cold enough he'd come in & he did.

Honestly, I think it's a bit of an overreaction. Shrug.
You know - it's one thing if it's your kid and you are making that decision for him. You know your kid and you feel confident that he will tell you or come inside if he is cold. I hear that. But, I believe, that when you are a daycare provider, you really should err on the side of caution. I would think most parents would have an expectation that their child would be bundled up to go outside in freezing cold weather when they were at daycare and I think it's a reasonable expectation. When the mother showed concern, she said the DCP reacted in a snotty way which kinds of suggests indifference on their part, not a quality I would want in someone who was caring for my child.
#11 of 19 Old 12-16-2008, 01:26 AM

I would be furious. I would also wonder what else they let slide.
#12 of 19 Old 12-16-2008, 03:39 AM

if you send her to daycare with a coat, hat, gloves, etc., they should have helped her find it. it is their job to make sure each child is wearing what the parents sent before everyone can go outside.
#13 of 19 Old 12-16-2008, 03:52 AM

I don't think you overreacted at all, I would be livid! Twenty six degrees is below freezing!

Maybe its just because I'm from the south, but I would freeze solid in that kind of weather. :

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#14 of 19 Old 12-16-2008, 03:54 AM

Yea, I gotta say there's a huge difference between a daycare provider doing that and a parent. If you called CPS on me for letting my kid out in the snow in cotton pants and a tshirt, you'd be in deep trouble. And I don't think CPS would have been my first call. But daycare centers really should be erring more on the side of caution (and they should definitely be more responsive to parents) even if I don't think it's a big deal as long as the kid didn't feel cold.
#15 of 19 Old 12-16-2008, 04:45 AM

Your concern is warranted. However, I would have started my complaint process with the daycare director and the state licensor of the daycare. I would be surprised if CPS had the bandwidth to do anything. I could be wrong, but I think the licensor would get you more immediate response.

Here's some info: http://www.del.wa.gov/publications/l...ocs/22-159.pdf

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#16 of 19 Old 12-16-2008, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin2004 View Post
Your concern is warranted. However, I would have started my complaint process with the daycare director and the state licensor of the daycare. I would be surprised if CPS had the bandwidth to do anything. I could be wrong, but I think the licensor would get you more immediate response.
:
I would push this with someone, but not CPS. I think there's another way to file a former complaint. Oh yeah, just clicked on the link you posted, that's perfect. I've never called CPS, do you get a live person? I'm surprised that they wouldn't just tell you (the OP) that. Although I'm sure they are plenty overwhelmed as it is...

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#17 of 19 Old 12-16-2008, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link Griffin2004! I got a live person at CPS who did tell us to file formal complaints with the daycare and DSHS which we are taking care of this morning.

As I'm replaying it all in my head today, I'm realizing that the kids were out on a large playground that is 1/2 concrete that was iced over, and there were no exterior lights - just some light from a streetlamp that was pretty far away. It was totally dark out and I couldn't even see which kid was my daughter. The "teacher" was inside the building with the door open, and there was no way she could supervise the kids from where she was. We also sent our daughter to school with hat/gloves/scarf/coat, and they didn't even try to determine where her cold weather clothes were - they just blew it off.

I work for the Edmonds school district, and my kids go to school in Seattle, and none of the schools let the kids outside for recess. Part of my special ed training also has us calling CPS before other agencies, so I think I kind of auto-piloted my response based on work.

I'm not 100% sorry that I called, but I still feel like the person in charge of the children was a little too relaxed about their safety yesterday. And yes, it does make me wonder what other things may occur that they don't think are a big deal.

Me 37 hang.gif, DH - 43 computergeek2.gif, DSS-18 caffix.gif, DS - 17 wild.gif, DD - 11 joy.gif, and DS - due 6/14 belly.gif. Having another homebirth.jpg and nocirc.gif .
#18 of 19 Old 12-16-2008, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
WOW.... considering the freezing weather we have had lately, yes i would have called!! it is entirely too cold to be spending any time outside without proper clothing -- and this is coming frm someone that rarely dresses warm to go outside. it has been INCREDIBLY cold lately.

i think it is really, really concerning that the teacher was not outside with the kids either, and interesting that she stayed inside while the children were out without proper clothing. the teacher wouldn't even be able to gauge if its too cold to be out, if she is staying in!
#19 of 19 Old 12-16-2008, 02:30 PM

I totally understand some kids enjoying cold weather. Yesterday it was like 20 degrees, windchill of 11 and my 7yo sister kept sneaking out of the house in a top, cotton pants and boots to play in the snow/ice. Everyone else was sitting in the kitchen making cookies near the wood burning stove. They thought she wasn insane. I guess she got more nordic blood in her than the others.

But the teacher took a lot of risk and liability. She doesn't each of those kids individually and she obviously wasn't supervising them enough to see when it was time to come back in. Twenty six degress is below freezing, which leaves plenty of risk to kids.

Mama to expecting Babe 2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page