OR families w/CA family driving up-WEATHER - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-16-2008, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so bummed! my parents were set to drive up here to pdx next 12/21 Sunday. Now they are most likely canceling b/c of the weather.

Just wondering if anyone else has family driving up and how they feel about it; safe : unsafe ????

I don't want them to compromise safety in ANY way, I just know that weather changes so much here that I am trying to be optimistic. All Amtrak service is FULL so that is out.

#2 of 9 Old 12-16-2008, 06:25 PM

I would say unsafe, personally.

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
#3 of 9 Old 12-16-2008, 07:22 PM

unsafe... it suppose to snow more this weekend
#4 of 9 Old 12-16-2008, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah. You are right

Too bad we aren't wealthy and can afford to foot the bill for last minute train or plain tickets
#5 of 9 Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 PM

Sorry your plans are ruined

#6 of 9 Old 12-16-2008, 10:36 PM

Sorry the weather is messing up your plans. I'm in southern oregon, I-5 passes through the valley I'm in. I saw very little traffic on I-5 when I was out earlier. We're like the first stop once you get inside OR. Anyone driving outside of city limits here should have chains. In fact, it's probably a requirement to get through the Siskiyou pass near the CA/OR border..... I don't have cable or I'd be more in tune with such info. We normally don't get much snow here on the valley floor but we got 3 inches the other day. It has melted during the day and frozen again at night also, making for some slippery situations. And if we get more snow on top of what is now ice..... lets just say I'm stocking up my food selection for this weekend.

If you or your family is still considering a visit, call the road conditions agencies for both states and have a set of chains that you/they know how to use. You can get most gas stations here to put them on for you for a fee.
#7 of 9 Old 12-17-2008, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlegal View Post
Sorry your plans are ruined
Thank you Boo hoo

Between my parents who are at least willing to drive up and my mother in law who refuses to get on a plane (anxiety) and claims to have SAD and lives in S. CAlifornia----this is messed up! At least we'll be here if the basement floods right?

Am I depressing or what?

What are you all doing for the holidays?
#8 of 9 Old 12-17-2008, 04:45 PM

We're planning on seeing family on Christmas Eve, and having a brunch at our house on Christmas Day. That is, if the ice and snow go away. We have to go over some hills, so we'll see. If it's still crappy, we'll have to post-phone Christmas until the weather gets better. I don't think I'll be too upset about it, but my best friend is going to be in town from college, and I am really hoping I am able to see her. Otherwise, we won't be able to get together until July.

#9 of 9 Old 12-20-2008, 01:38 AM

my family is driving from Sacramento to Eugene. They want to leave Mon. but I'm tryung to get them to leave Sun. since that is supposed to bed the warmest day.

I feel fine about it. Most snow and ice gets bad at night so if they leave early enough they should be fine.

My dad is a long haul truck driver and does a lot of runs on I-5 in the PNW, he says they clear the roads pretty quick around here.

Chains are required Nov. 1st - Apr. 1st

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page