Happy New Year PDX!!! - Page 19 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#541 of 2002 Old 01-08-2009, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lydia - that is AWESOME news! But now I am totally curious -- are you going to birth in the hospital or try at home?

Pauline, yeast infections SUCK. I always end up doing the monistat 7 day thing : maybe I should try finding some boric acid capsules and keep those on hand. Although : that I won't have any in the near future.

So I am in Boise. This evening sucks. My 7:25pm flight is delayed till 9:20pm, and maybe later. Means I won't get home until like 10pm or later. SUCK.

Then going through security I set off the metal detector. So I got to go in the special booth and be wanded by the most sour-faced older woman. People were gawking at me. One guy was like, "did your earrings set it off?" WTH? I am wearing 3 small silver hoops. No, it apparently was my cochlear implant, which is BIZARRE because this is the 4th time in 4 months that I have come through the Boise airport and the first time I have gotten special screening

So I finally get through security and start walking towards the Maui Taco place for a hot dinner of rice, beans, and guacamole and they are closing and locking up!! It was only SIX FLIPPING PM! Am I the only one that finds that totally bizarre? So no dinner for me, combined with a delayed flight. Wah. Well, I could have dinner, but my choices would be McDonald's (would rather be hungry) or a sub sandwich -- guacamole and lettuce on white bread. Uhhh... if I was really desperate, that would be fine. Thank goddness I am not pregnant or I'd really be in trouble

On the bright side, I have a wireless card and so I can totally be online and bitch to you all AND the horizon flights serve free wine on the plane in the evenings, which I'll totally be taking advantage of, combined with the fact that I am either being picked up at the airport or will take a cab home

And today is my wedding anniversary, and looks like we will only have 2 hours or less to celebrate before the day is over. At least I'll be tipsy? Heh.
#542 of 2002 Old 01-08-2009, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Happy anniversary!!!!!
#543 of 2002 Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post
Um, I'm kind of scared of the warnings on the back of the douche. It is just the masengill kind. Is it really okay to use or is it too scary?
my gyno said NEVER use that.....She always said Nancy's plain acidipholus(sp?) yogurt 3 times a day...douche kills good bacteria and replaces it bad bacteria and you'll become more prone to YI in the future

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#544 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Lydia - that is AWESOME news! But now I am totally curious -- are you going to birth in the hospital or try at home?
A homebirth was put on the table for consideration, but I have an oogy gut feeling about it so I think I will opt for a vaginal hospital birth because if I'm afraid and worried about bleeding I probably wouldn't have a very good birth experience. Nothing matters more to me than the safety of my baby and I feel like the risk is a bit more than I want to take.

I hope you guys won't revoke my MDC membership. : I really would love to have a homebirth but I would only do so if it was perfectly safe and I just don't think it is because the previa is so borderline on the edge of safe. I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Thankfully the hospital I'll be birthing at is pretty cool and my doctor is really encouraging me to have a natural birth. It will be a strange experience for me, but even if I do end up needing a cesarean I'm okay with it because having a good chance at a normal birth is better than what I thought I was going to get.
#545 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 12:14 AM

I won't be the one revoking your MDC membership! I think I'd make the decision for a hospital birth if I was in your shoes, too. :

I gotta pee. But going to pee means shutting down my computer, packing up my stuff, and hauling it all to the bathroom, then trying to cram it and myself into a stall. Is the plane here yet? (no) I want my wine!
#546 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
my gyno said NEVER use that.....She always said Nancy's plain acidipholus(sp?) yogurt 3 times a day...douche kills good bacteria and replaces it bad bacteria and you'll become more prone to YI in the future
Yikes! Maybe she meant summer breeze scented stuff, on a regular basis? The vinegar and water is just to restore acidic ph to kill off the yeast (according to my doc, about 10 years ago--she told me about the douche thing as a quick/easy/cheap/less chemical/diy-type solution preferable to monistat or chasing garlic through your ladybits); I think it's like boric acid?...
Whatever the case, yeast be gone!
#547 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
I hope you guys won't revoke my MDC membership. :
If anyone tries to, you send them to me, and I'll have a little talk with them. Know what I mean?

Seriously, I'm glad you found a good doc, and that things are looking up. I'm hoping for the best possible birth for you.
#548 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
I was thinking along the lines of "out to pasture", but it sounds like these are egg chickens.
Yessss, laying hens, in a manner of speaking.
#549 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 12:40 AM

Ryan called me and offered a last minute MNO opportunity. I hadn't been planning to go out tonight and so had a little of this going on. Instead, when he got in I took the opportunity to make a bank deposit. Then, snuck in the back door, down to the basement, and am about to settle into some alone time. (Yes, that means PS2 ) Sounded like things were going well up there until Ryan tried to brush the boys teeth. Wish Ryan luck!

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#550 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani76 View Post
It wasn't me. But those are easy peasy to make. Did you want more?
I would like some to give to someone for a baby shower. She is having twins and they need to be gender neutral. I have a TON of receiving blankets that I'd like to "recycle." What do you think of using those on diapers? Too cheap? Okay... Maybe this should be pm style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Then going through security I set off the metal detector. So I got to go in the special booth and be wanded by the most sour-faced older woman. People were gawking at me. One guy was like, "did your earrings set it off?" WTH? I am wearing 3 small silver hoops. No, it apparently was my cochlear implant, which is BIZARRE because this is the 4th time in 4 months that I have come through the Boise airport and the first time I have gotten special screening

So I finally get through security and start walking towards the Maui Taco place for a hot dinner of rice, beans, and guacamole and they are closing and locking up!! It was only SIX FLIPPING PM! Am I the only one that finds that totally bizarre? So no dinner for me, combined with a delayed flight. Wah. Well, I could have dinner, but my choices would be McDonald's (would rather be hungry) or a sub sandwich -- guacamole and lettuce on white bread. Uhhh... if I was really desperate, that would be fine. Thank goddness I am not pregnant or I'd really be in trouble

And today is my wedding anniversary, and looks like we will only have 2 hours or less to celebrate before the day is over. At least I'll be tipsy? Heh.
I think it's crazy that the restaurants were shutting down that early. Sucks abou the delayed flight

Oh! I know you and your randy dh will celebrate just fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
A homebirth was put on the table for consideration, but I have an oogy gut feeling about it so I think I will opt for a vaginal hospital birth because if I'm afraid and worried about bleeding I probably wouldn't have a very good birth experience. Nothing matters more to me than the safety of my baby and I feel like the risk is a bit more than I want to take.

I hope you guys won't revoke my MDC membership. : I really would love to have a homebirth but I would only do so if it was perfectly safe and I just don't think it is because the previa is so borderline on the edge of safe. I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Thankfully the hospital I'll be birthing at is pretty cool and my doctor is really encouraging me to have a natural birth. It will be a strange experience for me, but even if I do end up needing a cesarean I'm okay with it because having a good chance at a normal birth is better than what I thought I was going to get.
Homebirth is great for normal, healthy, uncomplicated pregnancies but I think your situation combined with your gut feeling are very good reasons to have your birth in the hospital.

I highly doubt anyone is going to revoke your MDC membership, otherwise mine would have been years ago

BTW... Stripped my $5 Happy Heinys with the Stuffins inserts tonight. I used Dawn dish soap and a scrubber, then washed in the washing machine on supa hot. I think it worked. They were so full of residue, that I could fill them up to the top with water where the insert would go. The woman who sold them to me said she didn't like them because "they didn't work." I really think it was just a residue issue. Lucky me.
#551 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 01:01 AM

Welcome new people!

Update and questions...

Anyone going to LIG this year??

Hey if anyone has extra eggs please let me know. I could really use them. $$

My Grandma has had a few visits to the ER and I am a littlw worried. Also thier property in Ariel got 6 + feet of snow and every structure is caved in.... really sad.

My 6 year old has really been having a tought time lately so we all have.

Also trying to deal with a few troubled family relationships...

Anyway send good thoughts my way please... I could use some good friends right about now...

Thanks
#552 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherRea View Post
Welcome new people!

Update and questions...

Anyone going to LIG this year??

Hey if anyone has extra eggs please let me know. I could really use them. $$

My Grandma has had a few visits to the ER and I am a littlw worried. Also thier property in Ariel got 6 + feet of snow and every structure is caved in.... really sad.

My 6 year old has really been having a tought time lately so we all have.

Also trying to deal with a few troubled family relationships...

Anyway send good thoughts my way please... I could use some good friends right about now...

Thanks
Only one of my girls is laying right now, but we're going to get some more hens this spring. Although that means no appreciable increase in egginess until next fall, probably. If (when) we have extra, I'll be sure to post here in case anyone is interested. In the meantime, we haven't met, but I'm sending some positive thoughts for you and yours.
#553 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post
Chutes and Ladders is a really stupid game
do you ahve an addict too? we thought kieran would like the counting, climbing, and sliding aspects-which he does. we didn't know granddparents were goign to tell him it's all about good/bad deeds (i sure never remembered it that way). 99.9% of the time he doesn't get that part of it, except when he parrots them. im just tired of mr. 'i have to WIN'.
#554 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 01:49 AM

In hell. Sprog barfed, which made me barf, too. He wasn't feeling well, but insisted on pizza. I shouldn't have given in. I don't know what's wrong with him, he's no sooner recovered than he's sick again. And just today there was an employee meeting where they unveiled the new draconian attendance policy.

Oh, and he has a loose tooth, which he showed me right after I'd cleaned up, and was still feeling shaky. It sort of freaked me out, nearly made me barf again. I'm not ready for this. Blah!
#555 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
In hell. Sprog barfed, which made me barf, too. He wasn't feeling well, but insisted on pizza. I shouldn't have given in. I don't know what's wrong with him, he's no sooner recovered than he's sick again. And just today there was an employee meeting where they unveiled the new draconian attendance policy.

Oh, and he has a loose tooth, which he showed me right after I'd cleaned up, and was still feeling shaky. It sort of freaked me out, nearly made me barf again. I'm not ready for this. Blah!
Man, that poor kid. Poor mom. What's the policy? Maybe the kids won't be getting sick so much after it's implemented?????

#556 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 02:19 AM

Well, out with the old phone, in with the new. Although the touch screen is going to take some getting used to. I am glad, however, that it offers the duality of normal phone keypad, as well as a qwerty keyboard in the preferences, so I can actually dial 226-dump if I want to. (That was my actual phone number at one point in time.)
#557 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
dial 226-dump if I want to. (That was my actual phone number at one point in time.)
You think that's bad? My dad's used to be 645-3825. 645-f*ck. He got prank calls all the time.

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
#558 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 02:31 AM

Crappy night, not at bad as zeldabee no barfing, but sucky. I just wanted to cuddle on the couch and watch a show with Joe. We started out the day argueing and he went to bed at 9pm. So here I sit, all alone. I should just go to bed but now I'm all irritated and don't want to lay next to him.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#559 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
Crappy night, not at bad as zeldabee no barfing, but sucky. I just wanted to cuddle on the couch and watch a show with Joe. We started out the day argueing and he went to bed at 9pm. So here I sit, all alone. I should just go to bed but now I'm all irritated and don't want to lay next to him.
I am sorry Allison. I been there done that. Hope it gets better soon.
#560 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
I would like some to give to someone for a baby shower. She is having twins and they need to be gender neutral. I have a TON of receiving blankets that I'd like to "recycle." What do you think of using those on diapers? Too cheap? Okay... Maybe this should be pm style
Yes, pm me if you are interested. I don't think it's cheap at all to recycle your receiving blankets that way. Just let me know.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#561 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowEarthFaerie View Post
You think that's bad? My dad's used to be 645-3825. 645-f*ck. He got prank calls all the time.
:

I had to turn everything off and laying next to Alex in the dark to get him to sleep. Bah!

At least everyone is asleep now.
#562 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 03:33 AM

Tina, did you get my email?

Elizabeth, Proud Pagan wife, and mama to DD - 10/30/01, DS1 - 01/08/04, DS2 - 03/22/07, my twin DDs -08/08 and our new little DS3 - 06/11/10
#563 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowEarthFaerie View Post
Tina, did you get my email?
Yea. :P
#564 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

I take it back.. they aren't all asleep.

What am I gonna do with this girl? It takes her hours to sleep, hours to wake, hours to dress. ARG!
#565 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Man, that poor kid. Poor mom. What's the policy? Maybe the kids won't be getting sick so much after it's implemented?????
Unscheduled absence, including calling in sick, is one "incident," tardiness (more than 5 minutes) is half an incident, and more than 10 incidents in a year starts a disciplinary process. I think it goes up to 15 before they terminate. And here I used to have 10 paid sick days a year.

Note to self: have a talk with housemate about making less noise when she gets up in the middle of the night. Normal daytime pattern of activity here at 4:00am, even earlier sometimes.
#566 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 10:06 AM

New Smilies!!!

Quote:
Unscheduled absence, including calling in sick, is one "incident," tardiness (more than 5 minutes) is half an incident, and more than 10 incidents in a year starts a disciplinary process. I think it goes up to 15 before they terminate. And here I used to have 10 paid sick days a year.

Note to self: have a talk with housemate about making less noise when she gets up in the middle of the night. Normal daytime pattern of activity here at 4:00am, even earlier sometimes.
Yikes!! Why on earth? Is this a state requirement? I hope they get some solid feedback on this.

#567 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
New Smilies!!!

Yes, indeed! Thank goodness for tea.

Quote:
Yikes!! Why on earth? Is this a state requirement? I hope they get some solid feedback on this.
I don't think it's a state requirement, so much as what they could legally get away with. A co-worker told me they can't can you for having a sick kid, and that you'd get 12 weeks' worth of paid time off if it's your kid, and I hope that's true. Though if he's talking medical leave, that's a whole other ball game. I don't know.

They got feedback, all right. There was an impromptu department meeting right after the employee meeting with our manager. Every single person had concerns. And it's not like we're all a bunch of slackers, chronically late, or constantly calling in with hangovers and whatnot. (Mind you, I don't really think the powers that be in my company really care what their employees think.) Manager said she'd make sure our official start times were moved forward by 15 minutes to give us a 20-minute window.

And! This morning I have to decide if I'm calling in with a sick kid. After missing all that time with the snow, it's really going to hurt, attendance policy or no. He's got no fever...but then, I really have to wake him up and have him awake for a while before I'll really know how he is.
#568 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:

I don't think it's a state requirement, so much as what they could legally get away with. A co-worker told me they can't can you for having a sick kid, and that you'd get 12 weeks' worth of paid time off if it's your kid, and I hope that's true. Though if he's talking medical leave, that's a whole other ball game. I don't know.

They got feedback, all right. There was an impromptu department meeting right after the employee meeting with our manager. Every single person had concerns. And it's not like we're all a bunch of slackers, chronically late, or constantly calling in with hangovers and whatnot. (Mind you, I don't really think the powers that be in my company really care what their employees think.) Manager said she'd make sure our official start times were moved forward by 15 minutes to give us a 20-minute window.

And! This morning I have to decide if I'm calling in with a sick kid. After missing all that time with the snow, it's really going to hurt, attendance policy or no. He's got no fever...but then, I really have to wake him up and have him awake for a while before I'll really know how he is.
Ooooh, I misread your original post and thought the policy was for Sprog's school.

I only get 10 sick days myself, which they expect me to use if Nico is sick. I think that I just don't get paid if I need to take more time than that. But I certainly foresee using all 10 of those days. Between him, me, and Ryan there is often someone sick here that I need to care for. I'd be pretty nervous about having disciplinary bullshit to worry about. WTH, they want you to come in sick? They should make it easier for people to call in, not harder. I'm sure most people hem and haw about whether or not to come in, and that's how the workforce gets sick. Bah. Madness!

Yeah, you get 12 weeks of family medical leave, but that's unpaid.

#569 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 11:23 AM

Heh. As long as I pay tuition, Sprogly could stay home every day.

It's funny that the HR person tried to make it sound like they were being incredibly generous and reasonable with this policy, when as I said, many companies give employees 10 sick days a year, as did my former employer. I'd be amazed if I didn't go over that in a year. My threshold for keeping Sprogly at home is lower than for keeping myself home...I felt bad taking him to school yesterday, with no fever, but complaining that he didn't feel good. It's not like I have any other option when I have a sick kid--how am I supposed to find a care provider who will take a sick kid? Are there people who do that? Where would you even look for that? (That's a serious question, BTW, if anyone has any ideas, don't be shy.)
#570 of 2002 Old 01-09-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Ooooh, I misread your original post and thought the policy was for Sprog's school.

I only get 10 sick days myself, which they expect me to use if Nico is sick. I think that I just don't get paid if I need to take more time than that. But I certainly foresee using all 10 of those days. Between him, me, and Ryan there is often someone sick here that I need to care for. I'd be pretty nervous about having disciplinary bullshit to worry about. WTH, they want you to come in sick? They should make it easier for people to call in, not harder. I'm sure most people hem and haw about whether or not to come in, and that's how the workforce gets sick. Bah. Madness!

Yeah, you get 12 weeks of family medical leave, but that's unpaid.

Man, this makes me so mad for you guys and so hoping for huge change in the way the workplace treats parents. So f'd up that you have to weigh getting in trouble with your job with how much your child needs you at home with them.

Beth, I feel like I've heard of a program like you mentioned - something where nurses stay with your sick child. I'll try to find it .... Probably $$$

And the yeast Oh the yeast I'm seriously going to lose it over here. Dr. appt at 3. I wish that Diflucan could just be over the counter. I totally understand why it's not - cause you aren't supposed to take it much, lots of women would take it for conditions that weren't yeast and need their own treatment, yada yada but man! I could have had relief by now. I did do the big D - to no avail and soaked in a bath of apple cider vinegar which helped slightly. Sorry I can't stop talking about this

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page