Happy New Year PDX!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2002 Old 12-24-2008, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since the forum is on new thread moderation, I thought I would try to get the New Year's thread going now so we can start posting at midnight. Thanks for your understanding mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2002 Old 12-28-2008, 02:25 AM

I've always been a rebel...
#3 of 2002 Old 12-28-2008, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
haha, Well I guess this wasn't really necessary. I read the notice wrong and thought FYT was on new thread moderation. I wanted to get a jump on things before it was locked down.
#4 of 2002 Old 12-29-2008, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Jenn! I'm sorry I missed you at Milagros! I love your Nursin in Da Gorge pic! Wonderful! Love & Congratulations, Jennifer (I can see some of her sister in her precious face)

Jennifer, Mama to Mila (5/14/2002) & : Gael (11/30/06), wife to Tony
#5 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 05:08 AM

Happy New Year....off to go ring in the year with a bang :

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
#6 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Happy New Year!!

Now off to catch my kid and see if I can get him to sleep!
#7 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Continuing our convo from last month's thread:

Quote:
Hopefully it's ok DID, that I'm discussing the nature of your Cesarean birth and please correct my inaccuracies. I think Lydia has to have a C section because of the location of her placenta and the fact that it is a complete previa. If the placenta previa is only, partial then I think a lot of women can have a vaginal birth. Lydia's C section will also be more risky than the average Cesarean birth because of the likelihood of requiring a cut through the placenta to get the baby out. After having your beautiful, normal births I can only imagine how nervous you (DID) must be to have a surgical one.
I am rather nervous about it, yes, but the technology and intervention is there for times like these and I'm just really thankful that my son and I can both come through this safely. I am mourning the loss of my 3rd homebirth, but it doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Mostly I think because I've spent the last 3 months preparing for this outcome. It certainly could be worse. I'm not even going there with the what ifs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherRea View Post
I actually birthed at both hospitals... as far as hospitals go I liked SW so much better and hated Legacy. The births themselves of both were great. My midwife at Legacy saved the birth. Legacy really pissed me off! So many things!

If you want more info I will give it.
Yes please. I haven't had a hospital birth in 5 years and would really like to know what to expect, good or bad.
#8 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've been pretty sick all week with ending to have to go to urgent care cause I was having trouble breathing....
Last night campbell said her head and neck hurt(I think she meant throat) and I kinda brushed it off cause she imitates me and she is kinda inaccurate sometimes.
Anyways, she's been restless all night and I took her temp a bit ago and it was 104.1! poor baby doesn't feel good i feel even worse i blew it off....thankfully i think we're stocked on medicine(hopefully it doesn't get as bad as mine) and I have pedialite.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
#9 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
I am rather nervous about it, yes, but the technology and intervention is there for times like these and I'm just really thankful that my son and I can both come through this safely. I am mourning the loss of my 3rd homebirth, but it doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Mostly I think because I've spent the last 3 months preparing for this outcome. It certainly could be worse. I'm not even going there with the what ifs!
What a fantastic attitude
#10 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 02:10 PM

:

Happy New Year!

A new year's miracle, my mom's "sick voice" disappeared exactly when Ryan arrived at the beach house. Thank the lords!

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#11 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 02:12 PM

what hospital are u delivering at?
#12 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 03:00 PM

Happy New Year!

And...what was supposed to be a great start to the New Year has ended up a little...differently than we had planned. I don't know if I mentioned here that yesterday was my and dh's anniversary. We flew to Phoenix as we did last year. We have a little tradition of being up in the sky for our anniversary and eating sushi at the airport. We got there too late for sushi, which wasn't too big of a deal.

Halfway through the flight, I noticed that Lu's cheeks looked a little pink. I think it was becuase it was really warm in there, but for some unknown reason, I decided to look at her gumline and sure enough...she has an abscess.

Of course, the dentists have put a real fear of abscess in me, so I called Dr. Pike's, which was of course closed, so I paged the emergency number, oh, 4 or 5 times over the course of the evening...and he has never called back. I feel really betrayed.

I know that she's supposed to take antibiotics...I think he said amoxicillin...but I'm not sure. So, instead of having her dentist call in a prescription, I have to go to a clinic or something that will prescribe what they think she should have.

My SIL is a pharmacy tech and she's been a huge help, but I'm still scared for my babe, and really angry with Dr. Pike. I realize it was New Year's Eve, but why not say on the answering machine, "If you have an emergency, call 911," instead of saying to page him?

Anyway, the antibiotics will be a short-term solution, and she'll have to have a root canal or a tooth extraction. From what I've read online, the fact that this abscess has happened 8 months after the tooth was sealed means that her immune system is shoddy right now. Sigh.

Sorry to be such a downer. We still plan to have a fun trip and wonderful New Year. It's just such a bummer scary thing to happen. I really thought we were in the clear here.

I'm really glad you are all here to cry to, because Joey thinks I am overreacting for thinking that this is such a big deal. Um, an abscess can lead to really unspeakable things.

:
#13 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 03:03 PM

Happy new year!

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#14 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 03:03 PM

Sara, I read your post. So sorry for what you were going through.

Lydia, I'm so glad that such a fierce homebirther like yourself has found peace in your c-section. You should totally write a story about it and sumbit it to Mothering! You seem like you have really good writing skills, and I don't think I've ever read a Mothering story about a homebirther who had a planned c-section. Sorry if I'm overstepping boundaries here for suggesting such a thing.
#15 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Candace,

When I get abscesses I always take echinacea tincture. Yea.. I should go to the dentist.. but I don't trust anyone messing with these stupid fillings while I am nursing. They make echinacea tinctures for kids.. I would try it and see if it helps while you are waiting to find out what you need. I just take them like antibiotics. A dropper three times a day. If nothing else, it would help boost her immune system and help the antibiotics if that is what you choose to do. s
#16 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
Happy New Year!

And...what was supposed to be a great start to the New Year has ended up a little...differently than we had planned. I don't know if I mentioned here that yesterday was my and dh's anniversary. We flew to Phoenix as we did last year. We have a little tradition of being up in the sky for our anniversary and eating sushi at the airport. We got there too late for sushi, which wasn't too big of a deal.

Halfway through the flight, I noticed that Lu's cheeks looked a little pink. I think it was becuase it was really warm in there, but for some unknown reason, I decided to look at her gumline and sure enough...she has an abscess.

Of course, the dentists have put a real fear of abscess in me, so I called Dr. Pike's, which was of course closed, so I paged the emergency number, oh, 4 or 5 times over the course of the evening...and he has never called back. I feel really betrayed.

I know that she's supposed to take antibiotics...I think he said amoxicillin...but I'm not sure. So, instead of having her dentist call in a prescription, I have to go to a clinic or something that will prescribe what they think she should have.

My SIL is a pharmacy tech and she's been a huge help, but I'm still scared for my babe, and really angry with Dr. Pike. I realize it was New Year's Eve, but why not say on the answering machine, "If you have an emergency, call 911," instead of saying to page him?

Anyway, the antibiotics will be a short-term solution, and she'll have to have a root canal or a tooth extraction. From what I've read online, the fact that this abscess has happened 8 months after the tooth was sealed means that her immune system is shoddy right now. Sigh.

Sorry to be such a downer. We still plan to have a fun trip and wonderful New Year. It's just such a bummer scary thing to happen. I really thought we were in the clear here.

I'm really glad you are all here to cry to, because Joey thinks I am overreacting for thinking that this is such a big deal. Um, an abscess can lead to really unspeakable things.

:
Happy anniversary Candice. I'm so sorry to hear about the abcess? Which tooth is it? There are better and worse places to have an abcess. A front tooth better than the back, bottom back better than the top back, etc. Top back is worse because it's lined up with the brain, and that's the big worry with abcesses. Top front, not as big of a freak out situation. I'm so sorry this is happening to you and your sweet little girl. Good to know about Pike, I've always wondered about that line.

Keep us updated please.

And thanks. Things are better today. Mom is leaving, for one.

#17 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Continuing our convo from last month's thread:

Yes please. I haven't had a hospital birth in 5 years and would really like to know what to expect, good or bad.
I responed on the Vancouver thread.
#18 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Happy New Year!

:
This sounds so scary. I hope things get better soon.
#19 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 03:27 PM

Thanks ladies. Tina, of course, there are probably not any health food stores open today that would have that sort of thing, but I will look into that when I can. The thought of antibiotics is kind of killing me. She's never had them and she's always had a pretty fragile system. I have killed myself trying to restore her intestinal system after the Big Yeast of '07.

Sara, I'm glad things are getting better and that dear mom is leaving. It is the front top tooth, so thanks for the good news! I don't understand what I should do. Common sense would not tell me to get her on antibiotics. She has no fever, and is just running around having the time of her life. But isn't an infection that if it gets into the blood stream, it can travel to the heart? I read that the antibiotics are a temporary solution because they can't get close enough to the core of the abscess to kill the bacteria. So, they just hang out in the blood stream and prevent it from getting there if it grows? I'm so confused and wish I had her dentist to talk to.
#20 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Happy New Year!

And...what was supposed to be a great start to the New Year has ended up a little...differently than we had planned.

:
Poor Lu! I hope you get some answers (or a return phone call!) soon!

And Happy Anniversary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
And thanks. Things are better today. Mom is leaving, for one.
Hooray! How is she getting back to PDX? Did you make it to dinner last night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
I don't do this but am thinking of switching to Elemental Muse http://elementalmuse.com/ She's also on hyena cart. She is really nice. I currently use go daddy which is super cheap but would rather support a wahm. I recently did one of her teleconferences about SEO and it was so informative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dani76 View Post
This is who I use too. I am just hosting my business blog for now, but I hope to change that in the next year. I'd like it to be like Ellie's where I have my etsy incorporated into it. Good luck Karen! Let us know how we can support you.
Thanks for the info and support, ladies! Her rates look good, and I'm always up for supporting a WAHM! Esp. now that I'm going to be one myself.

Not sure how much I can pimp myself or my services here without getting in trouble... Basically, I'm setting myself up as a freelance editor, mostly for casual business and marketing work (think newsletters, brochures and websites), although I'm willing to try other kinds of editing and also some writing. I'll be bidding on stuff through eLance.com at first, but hope to get as much local work as I can do during nap

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#21 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 03:33 PM

Laura (cellarstella) hosts my site. She and Cliff do shared hosting, email, and virtual server hosting. Since they don't host a lot of websites, they can set them up to support whatever the customer needs, like databases or language support. Laura can also design very minimal websites right now.
#22 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Happy New Year!

:
Quote:
Thanks ladies. Tina, of course, there are probably not any health food stores open today that would have that sort of thing, but I will look into that when I can. The thought of antibiotics is kind of killing me. She's never had them and she's always had a pretty fragile system. I have killed myself trying to restore her intestinal system after the Big Yeast of '07.

Sara, I'm glad things are getting better and that dear mom is leaving. It is the front top tooth, so thanks for the good news! I don't understand what I should do. Common sense would not tell me to get her on antibiotics. She has no fever, and is just running around having the time of her life. But isn't an infection that if it gets into the blood stream, it can travel to the heart? I read that the antibiotics are a temporary solution because they can't get close enough to the core of the abscess to kill the bacteria. So, they just hang out in the blood stream and prevent it from getting there if it grows? I'm so confused and wish I had her dentist to talk to.
You want to get her on abx before the fever and such show up because by then it's actually progressed to a scary level. The sooner she's on abx the sooner the pus-factory will be under control. Pain becomes an issue with the abcess because the little pus pocket is isolated in the jaw/bone structure where there is no room for it to expand. This puts a lot of pressure on the jaw, causing pain. In some cases, I've heard of abx wiping out an abcess without need to pull the tooth (this happened to me, in fact). However, with kids and baby teeth, it's almost always a Pull-out situation.

Even if you had the tooth pulled immediately, the fact that there is an infection there right now would necessitate abx. Her body is already demonstrating that it can't handle this infection without some help. The only way I can think to avoid abx, unless you're Tina , is to hope that the abscess pops on its own. There is a chance that she could fight off the infection, it's just not something that many people are comfortable waiting around with. Personally, this is an instance where I would use abx comfortably.

#23 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 03:36 PM

I should also mention that with my infection they had already removed the infection from the tooth (supposedly, if you buy the effectiveness of rootcanals) through a root canal and that's why it wasn't pulled.

Also, there is a slight chance that she has an abscess and not an infected tooth. But if it's above a decayed tooth then I wouldn't hold much hope for that.

#24 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 03:39 PM

Thanks, Sara. There is this thing at CVS here where they have a nurse on site who can prescribe meds. We're going to head over there today to get her on antibiotics. It's good to know how they work, so I really appreciate your time. It is kind of a bummer though because of her fragile system. : that it will all be OK.
#25 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Sara. There is this thing at CVS here where they have a nurse on site who can prescribe meds. We're going to head over there today to get her on antibiotics. It's good to know how they work, so I really appreciate your time. It is kind of a bummer though because of her fragile system. : that it will all be OK.
: indeed. Though, I'm sure it'll be ok. yogurt and pbx and all that. too.

#26 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 03:47 PM

OK, I really didn't want to bummer the New Year's thread, so I just want to say I am so thankful for the support and I'm also so thankful that Mommy instinct told me to look at her teeth, which I haven't done in months. This is still going to be the best year yet!
#27 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 04:01 PM

Poor Lu! I don't know how Joey can think this is not serious enough for some fretting and crying over. I guess that's why we have to have mama friends to cry to!

Thanks for the PR .

Shortly after I canceled plans last night on account of the kids and Cliff, I started feeling ill. I was nauseous and head-achey and went to bed by 7. It took longer to get to sleep because I just could not get Amelia to sleep. In any case, I woke up around 3AM feeling a little better, and noted, "hey, it's 2009," and rolled over and went back to sleep. Then this morning I hopped up and made crepes with strawberries and whipped cream and served them at the table all fancy with placemats and cloth napkins. Poor Cliff was up early adjusting the gutters and hauling water out of the basement. I looked outside just in time to see a whole torrent of icy cold mucky water dumping on his head. I think the crepes cheered him up though.

My new years resolution is a secret... I don't want to jinx it! But my other resolution is to have meals at the table from now on. We've been doing couch meals and Maddy sits at her play table and eats and I think she feels isolated down there because she has a hard time staying there to eat. So I cleaned off the dining table this morning and it's going to stay that way!

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#28 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 04:01 PM

Happy New Year!! :

Candice, Happy Anniversary to you and Joey! I am so thankful you looked at Lu's teeth, and you are getting help for it. No fun to deal with, but it will be okay.

Sara, did you miss your reservations last night? So sorry about that but glad your mom is leaving. Hope you take advantage of the time you have left and really have fun!

Lydia, you are so strong and amazing. Thanks for sharing it all with us!

Ericka, hope you and Campbell feel better soon

Anyone heard from Hedy?

I had the best NYE last night that I've had in a long time. My best friend and her fiance came over and we cooked, ate, drank, and chatted. Then we played Cranium which I've never played before. We had so much fun. Mike generally sucks at board and card games and doesn't have much fun but this game was totally right for him and so I've never seen him have so much fun with a game so that was really wonderful for both of us. Jake went to sleep easily (at 11pm ) and then Mike and I had some amazing intimate time which was an awesome way to start 2009!
#29 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 06:32 PM

Thanks everybody. We did end up going to the restaurant last night, and it was fun. Truth be told, I would have gone without him. But, it was nice that he showed up just in time. And I let my irritation dissipate pretty quick. It helped that mom stopped talking in that voice, let me tell you. Also, Ryan brought the PS2 so I was able to unwind in front of my game last night. And drink.

Ryan had driven down in her car, so she drove off in that today. Now the real vacation begins!

Karen, I'm really excited to hear about your new business! Let me know if you need help with anything.

I think Hedy must be celebrating new years somewhere, maybe in Eugene?

#30 of 2002 Old 01-01-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post

I had the best NYE last night that I've had in a long time. My best friend and her fiance came over and we cooked, ate, drank, and chatted. Then we played Cranium which I've never played before. We had so much fun. Mike generally sucks at board and card games and doesn't have much fun but this game was totally right for him and so I've never seen him have so much fun with a game so that was really wonderful for both of us. Jake went to sleep easily (at 11pm ) and then Mike and I had some amazing intimate time which was an awesome way to start 2009!
Your friends must not have stuck around for the ball to drop, eh? Or.....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page