Seattle area elementary schools - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-26-2008, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,
We're moving to Seattle and looking for a public school. I would really appreciate hearing about yours. I am trying to decide where to focus our real estate search based on catchments. We want a school that does well academically, but would also really like a school that focuses on emotional/ social learning (like using the Second Step program), we want great teachers, and a community that has involved parents, etc. Am I hoping for too much?

Any and all feedback would be much appreciated.
Thank you very much.
#2 of 2 Old 12-27-2008, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 6th grade and 2nd grade daughters go to Salmon Bay School in the Ballard area. We live in Ballard and like it a lot. Salmon Bay is an "alternative" public K-8 school with looping (same teachers for two years) in elementary, a focus on cooperative learning, experiental learning, social justice, environment and a vibrant parent community that provides a lot of support. The thing about Salmon Bay is that it is a lottery system for all students North of the Ship Canal. Seattle Public Schools have experienced some conflict and confusion in their enrollment process, and I am not sure how things will look for Fall 2009. There currently are "clusters" for each part of town and a reference school for each home, where you are "guaranteed" enrollment. Also, the state subsidizes only half day K, so many full day programs are "Pay for K" around 200-250 dollars/month. After your reference school, it is based on distance from the chosen school, expect for the lottery schools like Salmon Bay! Confused yet, I wouldn't be surprised, so are many people currently involved in the process. Test scores, bios on all the schools and further information can be found at www.seattleschools.org

Feel free to PM me for further info or my phone number, if you want to talk!
Sharon

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page