Is the newborn antibiotic eye ointment really a law in WA state? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-30-2008, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and if so, how do I get around it? I don't want my baby receiving the "goop", but I have to birth in a hospital, due to a heart valve problem (still have to change my siggy).
There has got to be a way around this! It can't be illegal to refuse a drug, can it? :

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 01:08 AM

We refused with DD2. We had planned a HB but transfered to the hospital and refused everything, vit k, eye ointment, bath, you name it we refused it. We just had to sign a waiver and no one said a thing. Well one nurse was an a** but that had nothing to do with the eye ointment. She just did not want to touch our "dirty baby" and kept pushing us for the bath. Good thing she never got the chance to hold her as we left a few hours after birth. I would just speak with your doctor/mw and also make sure to inform the staff when you check in to the hosp and make sure your partner informs the staff right after babe is born.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

Old 12-30-2008, 01:59 AM
kkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enudely View Post
and if so, how do I get around it? I don't want my baby receiving the "goop", but I have to birth in a hospital, due to a heart valve problem (still have to change my siggy).
There has got to be a way around this! It can't be illegal to refuse a drug, can it? :
I posted a reply to this in the "I'm Pregnant" forum where I came across it...there is a good web reference with info:

http://www.vaclib.org/exempt/washington.htm
Old 12-30-2008, 02:07 AM

I just gave birth to my baby boy 5 days ago in a Washington hospital and I refused the eye stuff. They just made me sign a waiver and didn't even give me trouble about it.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:24 AM

Hi there!

here is some information that you and any other WA residents may find useful. Just like pp said, there is no law and as a parent, you may refuse or accept any treatment or medication for your minor child. Sometimes I hear people say that a family could be reported to CPS/DSHS for refusing, but that is not true. And, I assure you, DSHS has WAY TO MUCH on it's plate to be responding to something so trivial as abx eye treatment!

Eye Ointment info

Best!
Sharon

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I waived it with both my girls.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 12-30-2008, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sonja View Post
I waived it with both my girls.
Did the hospital provide a waiver form? Did you have to get it in advance?

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
Old 12-30-2008, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
They were born at home, my midwife had the waiver forms.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 12-30-2008, 03:27 PM

Sharon beat me to the link, as always.

I'd say at least 50, probably closer to 75% of my clients refuse the ointment. Some hospitals give the form without a peep, others make it into a bit of drama, but I think it has more to do with the personality of the nurse than anything else.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
Old 12-31-2008, 12:59 AM

From what I was told, it is a law that they have to offer it (er, push it), but it's NOT a law that we have to accept it.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:36 PM

Usually these laws are written that it must be given UNLESS the parents sign a waver.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 01-01-2009, 06:10 AM

"I'm happy to sign an AMA for you." When they know that you know that you can refuse anything, it helps.

"Do I have to? Isn't there a waiver or something?" isn't coming from a place of knowledge and strength.

AMA (at least here in Washington) stands for Against Medical Advice - the name of the form they have you sign when you refuse their standard protocol or any state rules. Only one of my three kids was born in a hospital, so I've only signed one. I offered to sign quite a few, but they only took me up on the one for Vitamin K shot if I remember correctly.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

great, thanks!

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)

User Tag List