It's 2009 in Seattle! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 161 Old 01-01-2009, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just starting a January thread for all of us! My oldest is 4 today, how did that happen?

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#2 of 161 Old 01-01-2009, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Nevermind, thanks Bjorker!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 161 Old 01-01-2009, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy Birthday, Will! :
Aurelia's 4th Bday is right around the corner... I can't believe it, either!

If you want to edit the thread title, there should be a "go advanced" button (I think it is called) when you're in edit mode. That'll take you to a more advanced editing page where you can change the title.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#4 of 161 Old 01-02-2009, 01:38 AM

Does anyone have any good resolutions?

Mine is the same one from the last 2 years - to set-up a will/trust. We talk about doing it but never find the time to get around to it.

I'm happy to report that my kale/mustard greens made it thru the snow as Noah said they would. We ate some for dinner tonight and they were tasty. : The chard doesn't look so hot though, maybe it'll come back.

My Dad is doing better, recovering at a nursing home. He apparently had a small stroke to an odd part of the brain, which is probably the reason he fell. And it was in an area that affects "judgement". Thus falling and breaking your hip doesn't involve a visit to the E.R. I knew he was being difficult, but it really did seem over the top.

I can't believe my little girl will also soon be 4! And I'm shocked that it's 2009!
#5 of 161 Old 01-02-2009, 03:24 PM

Happy New Years!!! My youngest is almost !six! and my oldest is eight! Yikes! My arms are aching badly for a new little one but sadly I can't due to health issues, so that is my biggest resolution: to figure out what is wrong, and to treat it. I've been struggling with it since 2004, with it gradually getting worse. I have seen some good doctors but unfortunately wasn't very knowledgeable about much in the medical field and kept switching because I felt like I was getting the run-around, which I was for some of the time-I even had some doctors tell me that it was all in my head, or a psychiatric disorder. Grrr. Anyway, whatever it is, this year, my resolution is to find out, treat what I can, with the ultimate goal for me to be the best mother and wife I can be, and hopefully be able to become a mother all over again!

Other resolutions: I'm going to school full-time, so to do well this year, and to keep my laundry done, to plan better meals and cook more often, to keep my house presentable on a daily basis, and to be more responsible and frugal with money.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#6 of 161 Old 01-03-2009, 04:14 AM

My resolutions include:
*Having a baby :
*Making peace with what may be a challenging breastfeeding relationship with #2 and making the necessary preparations to make breastfeeding the new LO as successful as possible.
*Knitting an adult sized cardigan for the first time.
*Finishing all crafting by the end of July. All giftmas crafting, all projects for Raina's third birthday in September....
*Pick even more berries this summer- especially blueberries.
*Enjoy my last few months as a mama to one and my first two months as a mama to two.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#7 of 161 Old 01-03-2009, 05:52 AM

I don't bother with resolutions... i never do them anyhow. lol. However there are things I do hope to accomplish in the next year or two such as losing weight and exercising more and also working through my depression.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#8 of 161 Old 01-03-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinBird View Post
My resolutions include:
*Having a baby :
*Enjoy my last few months as a mama to one and my first two months as a mama to two.
Erinnnnn. Must pause for a moment to do my happy dance....

:

okay I'm done now.

no wait!
:

okay now I'm done.

#9 of 161 Old 01-03-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats Erin! When are you due?

#10 of 161 Old 01-03-2009, 05:55 PM

So it sounds like everyone is doing better now that the new year is upon us.
Glad to hear that people are on the mend and babies are on their way.

AFM: I am not making any resolutions because I never keep them. Although my goals are to cherish all the moments possible. I am trying to be really aware how lucky I am to be here alive and well with a loving family to journey with.
So I suppose I do have a resolution: To be more appreciative of all that this life has to offer.
#11 of 161 Old 01-03-2009, 06:09 PM

Sticking to resolutions at the New Year has also never been one of my strong suits, so I'm skipping it, too. I would like to get a gym membership, though, and and setting up a will is another really important thing we keep saying we should do (and of course we never do it).

I'm so relieved the weather has normalized somewhat again! I like my 40s-and-rainy Seattle winters.

My baby boy turns one this month. How did that happen?!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#12 of 161 Old 01-03-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinBird View Post
My resolutions include:
*Having a baby :
:

/stalking...

#13 of 161 Old 01-05-2009, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

It's snowing and sticking here again, ugh!

#14 of 161 Old 01-05-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
It's snowing and sticking here again, ugh!
Same here. Oiy!
#15 of 161 Old 01-05-2009, 02:24 AM

gonna................save...................money. ...no really I swear, this time it'll work..

*insert mild sarcasm here*

I say this every year..and somehow living on one real income with 3 kids..the math never does work out.

ahh well, I am going to strive to only buy what we need, not so much with what we want. *this will work untill I go to Whole Foods next month*

I think I'm struggling with resolutions this year..a bit..and the period button too...yup

ok, lets just talk about snow...2" on the westside tonight

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou
#16 of 161 Old 01-05-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiestever View Post
So I suppose I do have a resolution: To be more appreciative of all that this life has to offer.
I don't ever really make resolutions either. But I need to remember this one these days. Things with #1 have been such an unpleasant struggle lately, that I find myself regretting deciding to have children. I need to try to remember what a blessing they are, and to cherish them. Even when I want to throttle them.

Darcie----if you feel like hosting the next swap, would you like to choose a date? I can only really do afternoons, after 12 or 12:30. I'm also happy to host again, if you decide you don't want to afterall. What days/times can other interested people come? I have a bunch of stuff to bring.

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#17 of 161 Old 01-05-2009, 03:09 AM

Congrats Erin!!

My resolution is to try and love our house and neighborhood. I haven't been as happy here as our last and I've decided to try and just embrace it and be positive.

We are also joining the compact for the year!

I can't believe the snow! DS was so ready to go back to school tomorrow. Hopefully it will melt overnight.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#18 of 161 Old 01-05-2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalulu View Post
I can't believe the snow! DS was so ready to go back to school tomorrow. Hopefully it will melt overnight.
Yeah, seriously! Aurelia hasn't been to school in 3 weeks, now.

I had to drive home in it late tonight, and it was sooooo not fun. I detest driving in snow! Supposedly it's supposed to be a bit warmer today and be rained away, though. We shall see.

#19 of 161 Old 01-05-2009, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Ds's school is an hour late today, but at least he has it! Roads are slushy, but not too bad in my neighborhood. How about you guys?

#20 of 161 Old 01-05-2009, 03:55 PM

Aurelia's school goes by the Edmonds S.D. schedule & closures, which was 2 hrs late with no AM classes. So... we again stayed at home. Of course the roads look totally fine to me now, though.

#21 of 161 Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

We go by Issaquah, but if they are 1-2 hours late Will's school is only 1 hour late. So that's what happned this morning. If they are more than 2 hours late school is cancelled (or if issaquah doesn't have school). The roads were fine when I drove him to school at 9:50 this morning. A bit of slush in my neighborhood, but no biggie.

#22 of 161 Old 01-05-2009, 08:00 PM

Ansel's school goes by Seattle's schedule which was thankfully on time today. I was able to do grocery shopping with only one kiddo!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#23 of 161 Old 01-05-2009, 08:33 PM

:Thank goodness it wasn't like last time. This I can totally deal with, regular seattle snow:

So since my wish came true last time I have to words things carefully. Now I am dreaming of playing in water, and I don't mean flooding. So whoever makes my wishes comes true, just send me somewhere warm. hehe

Anyone been to an indoor water park like the Great Wolf Lodge? I am hoping to head down there next week. I have two young kids so it will be mostly playing in the shallow areas. But it seems like fun. DO you think a 2.5 and a 1 yo will enjoy it? They love the bath, so I am crossing my fingers.

And I am in for the swap too. So whatever works for us
#24 of 161 Old 01-05-2009, 10:03 PM

We go by Bellevue, so we were also on time today. There was going to be mutiny if he wasn't able to go today, he was so excited!

That said, we had an awful day. I think I need a break, big-time, and don't really know how to get it. I just want to run far, far away before I do any more damage to my poor children. Sigh.

I just don't know how to cope with two kids. I feel like I am never satisfying everyone's needs. There is ALWAYS someone screaming at me or crying, and that pushes all of my angry buttons. I have both of them plastered to me all day because the older is afraid to be alone. He NEVER leaves my side. It is endearing for a time, but I don't know if I can handle yet another diaper change with both of them in the bathroom yelling. DD because she hates diaper changes, and DS because he doesn't want to be there but is afraid to be anywhere else.

If I try to do something with him, she starts screaming at me because she's in the "MY MOMMY!!" phase. If I sit down to do something with her, his demands never cease. Let's not even talk about the little one's (non-existent) naps. I am so burned out. I just want to enjoy my children and help them be the wonderful little people that I KNOW they have trapped inside, but right now all I see is the whining, crying and yelling. Help!

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#25 of 161 Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Oh goodness Sara. Will went through the "Mommy only" phase last Fall with Will and it almost drove me insane! Even if Reid's not happy about it, can your dh watch them for a bit so you can get a break here and there? Even if it's just an hour or so to go sit at starbucks with a latte and a book it really helps.

#26 of 161 Old 01-06-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplehome View Post
I don't ever really make resolutions either. But I need to remember this one these days. Things with #1 have been such an unpleasant struggle lately, that I find myself regretting deciding to have children. I need to try to remember what a blessing they are, and to cherish them. Even when I want to throttle them.

Darcie----if you feel like hosting the next swap, would you like to choose a date? I can only really do afternoons, after 12 or 12:30. I'm also happy to host again, if you decide you don't want to afterall. What days/times can other interested people come? I have a bunch of stuff to bring.
I'd still be up for hosting a swap and it might be easier to have it here with my butt scooting baby. What do people think about either Thursday the 22nd or Thursday the 29th for a swap? Say 12:30-3:00? In West Seattle.

Sara, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time dealing with the 2 kids. I know where you're coming from. I don't know what I would do if my husband didn't work at home. And he's starting to resent working at home because he can't get any work done....I thought a 3 y.o. was supposed to be easier than a 2 y.o., but it's not. I hate to say it, but I use the internet to amuse Lily while I get the baby to nap, it's all I can do. It keeps her quiet and I can get him to sleep and then play with her after. I set hep up on that red fish site and tell her to be quiet, then I nurse the baby down.

You've got to hear what Lily said the other day. We're loaded up in the car, we have 2 VW's so the key's are like the same other than some markings we put on them. We get both kids in the car, milk for the ride, snacks, diaper bag, etc. and I discover I have the wrong key. I said "oh crap, I have the wrong key". My husband offers to run upstairs and get it (so we will get out of his hair faster). While he's gone Lily says "oh Darcie, oh Mommy, you know, sometimes life isn't easy". It was just what I needed to hear.
#27 of 161 Old 01-06-2009, 04:25 PM

It gets better Sara. Really, it does. Why is your DS afraid to be alone?

I don't New Year's Resolutions. I do make goals for the year of things that I want to accomplish, but I give myself a year to do them.

My kids enjoyed the snow for, oh, the first three days. They've had lots of opportunity to play in it! I hate snow and wish it were gone. I'll take the rain any day.
#28 of 161 Old 01-06-2009, 04:47 PM

I would say that I'm with the no-resolution crowd but without intending I've got some resolutions.

I could echo Erin's: enjoy the last few months with the first and the first few months with two. And my plan for doing that is going to a playgroup at the preschool I used to work at with him (http://communityschoolwestseattle.org/messyplayday.htm). And use our membership to the Children's Museum on a regular basis. As well as play at home, start doing more art.

Then there's becoming more consistent about family prayer and scripture study in our house. I want to keep reading in the Quran.

Other than that, there's reading books, publishing the content of my thesis and researching birth trauma and ways to prevent it.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#29 of 161 Old 01-06-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplehome View Post
That said, we had an awful day. I think I need a break, big-time, and don't really know how to get it. I just want to run far, far away before I do any more damage to my poor children. Sigh.

Help!
I can sooo relate at times. Having kids can be so great one minute and then water torture the next. I have been meaning to head down to the Seattle Gymnastics academy and letting my kids wander and jump around. Maybe some of us moms could meet up for a playday? I think joining together when some of us are struggling would really help. It is always nice to know we are not alone. Sara, you are not alone. Anything I can help with let me know.
#30 of 161 Old 01-06-2009, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

And Sara, if you ever want to get together at kidsquest, we have a membership now too. Maybe while the boys are in school. Then you can vent all you want!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page