Eugene Mamas? Need Feedback!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-05-2009, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Everyone,

We have been in Austin since 2005. Sadly, over the past few days we learned that my husband will be out of a job in two weeks. I am a stay-at-home/Unschooling/Freelance Photographer/Mama who wants to continue to do all of the above-mentioned items while my husband supports this family of three. I have really learned to love Austin and am very sad to think about leaving. However, if I were to move anywhere... it seems as though Eugene would be about one of the only comparable places to live with the reasons why I love Austin.

We have good friends who live in Eugene and they have convinced us to look for work up there and just check it out.

I would like to get as much feedback as possible on the following things:

1. Homeschooling (Secular/Unschooling aspect)
2. Attachment Parenting Friendly?
3. Daughter is on the Autism Spectrum and is on a gluten-free/casein-free diet. Are there many naturopaths/alternative medicine options available?
4. Cost of living...

Anything else at all that you want to add, please feel free...

The thought of moving again and having to garner an entire new circle of like-minded Mamas makes me a bit nauseous. I feel so settled. Ugh... Change can be good, though, right?

Thanks so much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-06-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anesidora View Post
I would like to get as much feedback as possible on the following things:

1. Homeschooling (Secular/Unschooling aspect)
2. Attachment Parenting Friendly?
3. Daughter is on the Autism Spectrum and is on a gluten-free/casein-free diet. Are there many naturopaths/alternative medicine options available?
4. Cost of living...

Anything else at all that you want to add, please feel free...

The thought of moving again and having to garner an entire new circle of like-minded Mamas makes me a bit nauseous. I feel so settled. Ugh... Change can be good, though, right?

Thanks so much!!
Hi! We have been in Eugene for just over a year now. We originally moved from California to Portland, but we ended up here. I have a 3.5 year old, so I don't know about homeschool support. But there are plenty of parks and rec classes for kids during the day. Also gymnastics, karate, etc. I believe the Science factory has some homeschool days too. But I'd have to double check.

There are plenty of non-religious people around here. In the right areas of course. I live in SE Eugene, and there are a lot of alternative/ap people around here. There are definitely mainstream parents around too though. But this is a pretty "crunchy" town overall. There are a few women here on MDC, but no one hardly ever posts. I have never felt weird or out of place with my parenting style. There is a Waldorf school nearby us, and they have fun activities during the year.

I have seen NDs, acupuncture, and holistic care places around town. My insurance doesn't cover an ND here, but they are here. There are many health food stores to choose from and vegan/vegetarian food options too.

You can look on Craigslist to see more about rentals if that is what you are looking for. We pay $800 for a 3 bedroom house with a small yard. But I think rents are usually more than that. Especially depending on the neighborhood.

I can understand how you feel about having to make all new friends. When we were in Portland, I had the best circle of friends. I still am friends with them. But after a year, I really need to make some friends in town. Good luck with your search!

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#3 of 3 Old 01-09-2009, 11:45 AM

Hi Kesha,

I don't know much about homeschooling, since my dd is 8 mo. One of the women from my birth class homeschools her 11yo and I recall her saying there was pretty decent support.

I live in Springfield just across the Willamette River from Eugene, a town which most Eugenians classify as more redneck, backward and religious. But after 10 years of living in our cute downtown historic district neighborhood, I have to say I love Spfd better than Eug and it's plenty crunchy on this side of the river and frankly I find the majority of folks in Spfd to be more liberal and open-minded than Eug- I think Eug can sometimes be a bit snobby. That said, as Dani76 says, parts of Eugene are better than others and it is nice out where she is. Also, Moon Mountain, Riverview neighborhood is pretty good too.

I see plenty of babes being worn and I've yet to have anyone bat an eye when I talk about cosleeping with our dd. And that's at the Fred Meyer Grocery here in Spfd.

There are a lot of alternative care providers in the Eug/Spfd area and naturopaths, homeopaths, accupuncture, cranial-sacral therapy... I like Wynant's Health Foods for a health food store, especially since they're walking distance from my house, but there are quite a few good local markets (Capellas, Sundance, Kiva) and the farmers markets are great (they usually run clear into October because of our normally mild weather). There are plenty of gluten-frees, vegans, etc., etc. around here. Oregon also has the misfortune to have a higher than average rate of autism, so, although I have no firsthand experience, I believe there is a good amount of support/help available.

I think Spfd has the advantage over Eugene for living costs too. Rent and mortgages tend to be cheaper in Spfd and property taxes (if you plan to buy/own) and utilities are less too. Rents are probably a little higher than they should be, probably because it's also a college town (UofO). I second Dani's recommend on Craigslist.

Meeting people- that's hard anywhere. It's taken me this long to form friendships however I'm rather reserved and slow at that anyway. I don't personally know many moms w/ babies or young ones tho. I was actually thinking about going to one of the LLL meetings and/or was going to post here to see who's out there. (Hi Dani76!, maybe we should chat...)

I hope you find what you need and wish you the best of luck

Anna wife to Phil & sahm to Iris (5/08) "Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth." - Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945), radio address, October 26, 1939

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page