Your Favorite Local Small Businesses! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 01-08-2009, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My new love is supporting small business. I know there are those struggling in the world right now, and I hate to see small businesses go under because of it. We obviously can't list our own, but let's list our faves!!!!

There is this store in downtown mount vernon called fifth and main- I adore it! The woman that owns it is the sweetest thing you ever met and the prices are great. It's cute knick knack things.

I love my local Chiropractor- Vital Chiro (also in Mount Vernon)

And I absolutely adore Hayden Transformations (general contractors). They don't have their main website up just yet, but I linked their myspace where they have a few photos of the work they've done. I swear they can do anything from electrical, to drywall, to installing tile and wood floors and anything you could imagine.

Oh! And naturopath/midwife in Lynnwood- Brandi Ross. Her practice is called Moonrise Health and Birth.

You know, it would be good to list things we need also in case anyone has a good contact... I could use a fabulous naturopath in Bellingham if anyone knows one. I travel to Lynnwood to see Brandi (and I would do that first), but if I need someone in a pinch, I'd love a good contact.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 01-09-2009, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Guess I"m the only one that supports small business.
#3 of 26 Old 01-09-2009, 07:47 PM

I have several I enjoy, but since I am down in Portland, Oregon. I thought I would leave mine for another thread, but so you don't feel alone.
I love, love, love my two main diaper suppliers
punkinbutt.com and zoombabygear.com

Our favorite toy shops are
Finnegan's and Spielwerk toys

We love shopping Portland Saturday market and all the local farmer's and art markets.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#4 of 26 Old 01-09-2009, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I get my milk from Golden Glen Creamery. Not raw, but slow pasturized and non-homogenized and oh so good! I can't make it up to them to buy it in the winter (I get it at the farmer's market direct on the summer), but they carry it at PCC.

I also live in a very agricultural area, so we support a ton of local farms.

As for toys, I LOVE White Horse Toys in Gilman Village (Issaquah).

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#5 of 26 Old 01-10-2009, 12:19 AM

In Vancouver but Boomba Toomba is awesome!!

I too love Zoom Baby Gear and Milagros is nice as well.

All three are MDC members as well.

Remember that a lot of small businesses are going to be affected by the CPSIA (check out thread in activism) so please write your reps, congressmen!

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#6 of 26 Old 01-10-2009, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

I love it when it's a local small business AND an mdc member!!! My chiropractor in the first thread falls under that category as well.

Oh! There's a consignment shop in Marysville called Mimi's Kids on Grove that I love too. The gal that owns it is so sweet.
#7 of 26 Old 01-10-2009, 02:40 PM

We love Kids at Heart on Hawthorne in PDX.

Me:
#8 of 26 Old 01-10-2009, 02:48 PM

I like Tru Health in the Bothell Mill creek area http://www.truhealth.com/pr_092402.htm It's like a health food convenience store. No fresh veggies, but tons of supplements, gluten-free products, raw milk and cheese, a well-stocked freezer section, cultured vegetables, alternative sweeteners, coconut oil, alternative flours, natural cleaning supplies, magazines, etc. It's like a mini Mana Mills.

And across the street is Saturday's child. They have a cloth diaper drawer! I've scored all I need for now, so I'm happy to share

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#9 of 26 Old 01-10-2009, 11:00 PM

Great thread idea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doula Dani View Post
Oh! And naturopath/midwife in Lynnwood- Brandi Ross. Her practice is called Moonrise Health and Birth.
dd has been seen by her a few times. She's pretty rockin'.

I wholeheartedly recommend Zippy's Java Lounge in dtown Everett. It's everything I'd ever want in a coffeehouse/cafe. I'm seriously in love with Zippy's, hehe. I've also long been a fan of Spotted Cow -- there are two locations in Mill Creek (Thomas Lake shopping Center on 132nd & 35th, and Mill Creek Town Center).

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#10 of 26 Old 01-11-2009, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Pacific Flyway Art Gallery in Spokane (on Sprague Ave, near downtown). Top quality picture-framing.

Woman-owned. She is 39 years old. She has three children and is a breast cancer survivor (had a double mastectomy in October) and could use any and all framing business you have!!
#11 of 26 Old 01-11-2009, 12:49 AM

My knitting group meets at A Gathering Grove Bookstore/Coffee House in Everett. They have a kid's play area in the back with Melissa and Doug toys (including a train table) and are very kid friendly- in fact, the owner's kids are often there. I also love Vinaccio Coffee in Marysville.

I buy most of my gifts at Details in Marysville. They carry great kids stuff (m&d, groovy girls, Burts Bees, etc), some wonderful kitchen and home decor items, and gift wrap everything for free.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#12 of 26 Old 01-11-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
I like Tru Health in the Bothell Mill creek area http://www.truhealth.com/pr_092402.htm It's like a health food convenience store. No fresh veggies, but tons of supplements, gluten-free products, raw milk and cheese, a well-stocked freezer section, cultured vegetables, alternative sweeteners, coconut oil, alternative flours, natural cleaning supplies, magazines, etc. It's like a mini Mana Mills.
wow, i live right down the road and have never been. thanks for the recommendation.

i love Top Ten Toys in Greenwood, and Tree Top Toys in Redmond. And Pizza Works in Lake Forest Park has freaking delicious pizza and a whole plethora of GF options.
#13 of 26 Old 01-11-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janaya View Post
And Pizza Works in Lake Forest Park has freaking delicious pizza and a whole plethora of GF options.
Yes yes yes, I love them, and Bob the owner is a very dedicated & friendly fellow. They have lots of veg*n options as well. It's apparently considered to be in Bothell, but very near Kenmore & LFP.

http://www.pizza-works.net/

For Seattle-ites, I recommend Juliano's on Pine, a block or two down from Bauhaus. I wouldn't exactly call it family-friendly per se, but I love that he also has pizza with gf/veg*n options, and it's a little more affordable.
http://theseattledish.blogspot.com/2...ccomended.html
And Juliano is really the character that they say he is.

#14 of 26 Old 01-11-2009, 08:50 PM

I love, love, LOVE Dr. Brandy--she is our new pediatrician for both of our kids, and was my midwife when DS was born a couple of weeks ago. She is wonderful!

For great toys: Top Ten Toys in Seattle. Or Planet Happy Toys, also in Seattle (right near the Queen Mary teahouse). Or Izilla.

I also love Birth & Beyond near the arboretum, and their new baby shop in Fremont. They have about everything a pregnant or newly post-partum mama could want.

For herbs: Dandelion Botanical in Ballard. Also in Ballard: Mon Petit Shoe for great kids' shoes & clothing.
#15 of 26 Old 01-12-2009, 03:10 PM

I looove Tru Health, in Bothell, too! I get my raw milk from there and the owner lady is soo knowledgable. She gave me some great info on PH and what I needed to do to balance out my dd's PH because she was so yeasty.

I also love Gourmet Latte', there are soo many locations, you can look it up on gourmetlatte.com.

My mom makes the most wonderfful Goatmilk soap! Its so natural and cleans anything from cherry stains on clothes to blue pen marks on couches to oil spots etc. The most effective all around cleaner! And it picks up smells like nothing else. I even use it to cleam scum off my shower.

I see Tracy King at the Alderwood Mall J.C. Penny for my hair needs! Looove that lady!

My NUCCA Chiropractor is Dr. Abramson. Only the best! He is in South Everett, his wife had 4 homebirths and a great family man. You can look up nucca.org to learn about how precise his technique is compared to a reg. chiro. PM me for his number!

Melissa loving my DH and DD(4yr)hearts.gif Most likely in my garden. Two angel.gif that I'll remember forever. My baby is here!!! Ethan Matthew came at 42 weeks on 5/19/10 9.10 lbs hbac.gif
#16 of 26 Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorker View Post
For Seattle-ites, I recommend Juliano's on Pine, a block or two down from Bauhaus. I wouldn't exactly call it family-friendly per se, but I love that he also has pizza with gf/veg*n options, and it's a little more affordable.
http://theseattledish.blogspot.com/2...ccomended.html
And Juliano is really the character that they say he is.
I second the recommendation for Julianos! Yummy yummy! Good to know a few people here eat GF, maybe we should have a pizza party some time.

Mommy to DS (05/08), in love with my SAH DH, waiting for someone new any day now. innocent.gif
#17 of 26 Old 01-13-2009, 02:48 PM

I thought of a good one -- my neighbor is one of the owners of The Confectional, down at Pike Place Market. Their cheesecake treats are divine, and many of the cheesecake truffles are gluten free.

http://www.theconfectional.com/

Mommy to DS (05/08), in love with my SAH DH, waiting for someone new any day now. innocent.gif
#18 of 26 Old 01-15-2009, 03:13 AM

I can't believe I forgot Champion Grocery Outlet in Issaquah. It's run by a brother and sister (as far as I can tell). They basically buy overstocks or things close to their pull date and sell them really cheap. They specialize in organic and natural foods and gluten free items. Lots of different grains, flours, beans, etc. http://championfoods.googlepages.com/

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#19 of 26 Old 01-16-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
I can't believe I forgot Champion Grocery Outlet in Issaquah. It's run by a brother and sister (as far as I can tell). They basically buy overstocks or things close to their pull date and sell them really cheap. They specialize in organic and natural foods and gluten free items. Lots of different grains, flours, beans, etc. http://championfoods.googlepages.com/
Actually it's run by a mother and son (and his wife), but I like that place too! They even take any form of currency and its fun to see the ones they have displayed (and my dd's love playing with their mini poodle named Halo).

We get our fresh raw milk from a farm in Enumclaw: www.meadowwoodorganics.com

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#20 of 26 Old 01-16-2009, 04:03 AM

I second Izilla! So fun.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#21 of 26 Old 01-16-2009, 04:27 AM

I have another one for you carnivores out there. There's a meat place in Lynnwood on Ash way across from the park & ride called S&L Quality Meats. Everything is natural-- no hormones, antibiotics, etc, and is priced well. I'm not much of a meat-eater and have only eaten their chicken breasts, but they really are outstanding! They won't sell deli meats and such because it would go bad too soon without the preservatives, which is enough to impress me.
16108 Ash Way 98087

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyPixie View Post
I second the recommendation for Julianos! Yummy yummy! Good to know a few people here eat GF, maybe we should have a pizza party some time.
I'd be sooooo down for that! :

#22 of 26 Old 01-28-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorker View Post
I have another one for you carnivores out there. There's a meat place in Lynnwood on Ash way across from the park & ride called S&L Quality Meats. Everything is natural-- no hormones, antibiotics, etc, and is priced well. I'm not much of a meat-eater and have only eaten their chicken breasts, but they really are outstanding! They won't sell deli meats and such because it would go bad too soon without the preservatives, which is enough to impress me.
16108 Ash Way 98087

I'd be sooooo down for that! :
Thank you! I love supporting small businesses

In the Bothell Mill Creek area

Coffee-
I really enjoy Cafe Ladro it was smaller but is expanding
http://www.caffeladro.com/stores.htm

Coffee, ice cream, etc
http://www.spottedcow.net/
#23 of 26 Old 01-28-2009, 09:17 PM

For prepared meals by people who are pretty responsible about their ingredients, http://www.monthofmeals.com/ . I know they are really struggling now (less customers) so I hope they can pull through. They have a primecard discount and are working on having some gluten free stuff! The gal who started this business lives about 3 blocks from me!

#24 of 26 Old 01-28-2009, 11:48 PM

I love Top Ten Toys too. Great place. In the same neck of the woods, I just ran across Strut. It's a cool shoe store with shoes for everyone, men, women, and kids. The person I talked with said it's owned by a local mama. I really liked how there were cool interesting shoes, but there were a lot of affordable ones - it wasn't all $80 kids shoes! They had some really cute kids shoes and I'm going to go back when I need to get a new size!

I've also love Gary's Games and the new middle-eastern/Greek? restaurant in Greenwood - Olive you. Plus there's a gelato place on the corner of Greenwood and 85th. All of those stores are on Greenwood. Can you tell where I hang out a lot?
#25 of 26 Old 01-30-2009, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

I love the idea of prepared meals. I wanted to sign up with the Dinner's Ready people, but they had nothing vegetarian. Can you believe that?
#26 of 26 Old 01-30-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doula Dani View Post
I love the idea of prepared meals. I wanted to sign up with the Dinner's Ready people, but they had nothing vegetarian. Can you believe that?
Wow, really? I did one of those meal prep places (I think it was dinner's ready) because I got a gift certificate after ds2 was born. I liked it, but you still had to prep and cook at home. What I like about Savory Moments is it's all prepared, you just pop it in the oven! Of course you pay for it!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page