OHSU Midwives/water birth experience--please share! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-20-2009, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi I am pregnant with my second. At had a great birth at Alma Birth Center with my son, but had a horrible billing experience and now do not want to birth there again.

I am thinking of OHSU Midwifery but I don't know anything about it. I couldn't get an appt until Feb 12th.

I am not sure about a homebirth, but I am considering it.

TIA!!

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 03:34 AM

No direct experience with OHSU MW's but personally I would opt for a home birth every time. We have such amazing HB MW's in this area.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 01-23-2009, 11:17 PM

Hi!
I am also pregnant with my second, due in May. For my first born, I decided to use the midwives at OHSU, and I have nothing but really great thigns to say about them. They are a group of amazing women and midwives. Linda Glenn even does homebirths through Vivante midwifery, AND all of the midwives teach in the nurse-midwifery program as well.
I would opt to have a homebirth with this second one, if I didn't have a blood clotting disorder...as I am an aspiring midwife myself! But, honestly, I can't say enough good things about their care and expertise.
Good luck with your search!
Old 01-24-2009, 11:00 PM

I had a successful VBAC at OHSU with the MW team. Penni Harmon was my primary MW and she is incredible, so supportive and calm.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:51 PM

Semi OT and sorry for the de-rail, but would you mind telling me about your billing issues with Alma? We are considering them, but haven't decided yet. PM is fine too. Thx

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
Old 01-25-2009, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

sent you a pm

Kimberly
Old 01-26-2009, 03:54 AM

In my experience with them, it is important to ask them:

What percentage of mamas give birth in the water?

What percentage are risked out from waterbirth?

What are the odds I'll have a midwife I know at my birth?

And interview everyone...like someone said, there are lots of great midwives for home births and there are more birth centers in town.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:53 PM

Hello,
I am trying to get a sense of what's the cost of a typical waterbirth at OHSU.

My insurance BCBS will cover 90% and I have a $2,000 out of pocket maximum.

For some reason it's really hard obtaining an estimate from OHSU directly.

Thanks for sharing!

Elba
Old 03-17-2009, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

You can call them, they seemed nice.

I decided to not go with either... and I'm having a home birth.

Good luck!

Kimberly
Old 03-18-2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbananas View Post
Hello,
I am trying to get a sense of what's the cost of a typical waterbirth at OHSU.

My insurance BCBS will cover 90% and I have a $2,000 out of pocket maximum.

For some reason it's really hard obtaining an estimate from OHSU directly.

Thanks for sharing!

Elba
It might be very difficult to get that because their billing is so affected by interventions, etc. Some hospitals charge for every single disposable item that is used which can make a lot of difference too. I'd be willing to bet that they don't want to give out any sort of estimate so it can't be confused as a quote, YKWIM? Plus, since it is a hospital I'm guessing they are close to national trends have a close to 30% cesarean rate which would increase the cost dramatically. Depending on the provider, sometimes you have charges from them and then also additional charges from the hospital as well depending on what services were actually used.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:23 PM

I used the OHSU practice for my first birth. Didn't waterbirth, but didn't necessarily want to. I loved the care I received from my midwife team. They dealt with some funky, but turned out normal, stuff during the pregnancy in a wonderful manner. I had a 30+ hour labor and they were nothing but supportive. If you want a hospital birth, I'd highly recommend the practice.

That said, I'll be home birthing next time if at all possible. Even though I asked for (and got) a good, natural nurse at OHSU, my labor was so long, one of the last ones was pretty annoying. I was pushing during shift change and those who had been with me weren't going anywhere. But, the new nurse was supper pushy, particularly about monitoring. I declined additional monitoring, she forced it. Argument in the delivery room began WHILE I WAS PUSHING. It was annoying. The midwife later apologized for not getting rid of the annoying nurse more quickly and for briefly using the strapped on monitoring while preparing for the birth (once he was comming, it was fast) which made the nurse station in the hall aware of slight decels, giving them the "right" to insist, etc. Still, wouldn't have happened at home.

As far as cost, I'm not sure. I had part of my 2nd trimester care out of state, so the billing got screwy. Add to that that they bill separately for the physician/mw, the hospital for mom, and the hospital for babe and I don't know if we will ever figure it out. Babe is nearing 16 months old and I still get random bills! If I had to guess, initial billing was somewhere around 11K. Delivery was about $2500 for the midwife (maybe an additional $500-$1000 for office appts - that is where the messiness is coming in I think?), $1400 for the babe's hospital stay, and $6000 for my hospital stay. Of course, that was then haggled down by the insurance company. Keep in mind on the hospital stay that while I did have a 30+ hour labor, I didn't check in until about 12 hours before I delivered and I checked out less than 30 hours after delivery. No complications, no drugs, baby was super healthy and never left my side, etc.

Nicole, dissertating mama to M (Nov 2007) and expecting another (Mar 2012)

Old 03-19-2009, 02:33 AM

We ended up paying the 3000 maximum out of pocket on our birth. Our insurance covers 80% and our birth at OHSU was pricey. Can't remember the exact amount...but we had several complications that I bet added to the bill, including ending up in the emergency delivery room and almost having a C-section. Amazingly, the Doc and MW worked together to get my out of there and had a VBAC. It was actually incredible the way the whole team worked together, including the nurses. I felt supported and safe through some tricky stuff. We had the waterbirth room but never got in the water. My baby started having some major decels right about 6 cm due to a cord problem so it didn't end up being an option for us.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:09 AM

I don't have experience with OHSU but have experienced the difference between a hospital birth and a home birth and I would completely, 100% recommend a home birth. The experience was wonderful for me, no pressure to do things on their schedule, no unnecessary medical interventions, etc. It was just great. You should definitely look into it!

User Tag List