Lovin PDX in February - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 1116 Old 02-08-2009, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
I can't find any recipies for pot roast that doesnt call for adding a package of onion soup mix. Anyone have one? Or know what spices I should use to it isn't bland?

I have a rosemary plant in the backyard.. other than that..e verything is dry.. and I don't have bay leaves like many recipes seem to suggest.

I need to find a good cook book that doesn't call for adding other processed things to the recipe. (like cereal and what not.)
How are you making it?
I add this packet that I used to only be able to find at the meat market, but now they have it other places. It's for the crock pot though...I can go find out the name for you.
If I was was doing it in the oven, I just add onions, carrots, celery and water.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#422 of 1116 Old 02-08-2009, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I can't find any recipies for pot roast that doesnt call for adding a package of onion soup mix. Anyone have one? Or know what spices I should use to it isn't bland?

I have a rosemary plant in the backyard.. other than that..e verything is dry.. and I don't have bay leaves like many recipes seem to suggest.

I need to find a good cook book that doesn't call for adding other processed things to the recipe. (like cereal and what not.)
I use my crockpot. The mushrooms are optional.

- 1 onion cut into 8 pieces
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 celery stalks cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 carrots cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 mushrooms
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 TBS salt

Put beef into crockpot and cover with broth if you have it. If not, use water.
Set on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Strain ingredients out of liquid and poor into pot. Add flour/water mixture and make into gravy. You now have pot roast in my opinion.
#423 of 1116 Old 02-08-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
Okay I was looking through the farm and garden section of Craigslist Clark County and saw this:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/grd/1025572480.html

I can't stop laughing, even comes with old diary semen.
Whoa! How long does that stuff keep???

I saw something like this on dirty jobs the other night. It was cool, but sad when they separated the calf from the mother. Ah the life of a commercial dairy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InochiZo View Post
I am having a craft day at my place today at 1pm without kids. Mostly because I'll have the beads out which are not kid friendly. I make this a monthly thing. PM if your interested in coming another time and I'll give you the details.
Would love to come next time! I'm debating right now whether or not I should try to go out to Hood River to get Lily. Grandma is willing to come in, and I'm feeling icky today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
What is earth balance?

I seem to remember liking seitan, but haven't had it in years. Oh, for some reason that reminds me. Must thaw out a chunk of meat.
You are so funny!

Quote:

I use beef bone broth if I have it, and season well with sea salt, pepper, and aromatic veggies, along with whatever herbs or spices I want to use. Have you looked through nourishing traditions? That's guaranteed to have lots of recipes that don't call for anything processed.
#424 of 1116 Old 02-08-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
Whoa! How long does that stuff keep???

I saw something like this on dirty jobs the other night. It was cool, but sad when they separated the calf from the mother. Ah the life of a commercial dairy...

Would love to come next time! I'm debating right now whether or not I should try to go out to Hood River to get Lily. Grandma is willing to come in, and I'm feeling icky today.

You are so funny!

I use beef bone broth if I have it, and season well with sea salt, pepper, and aromatic veggies, along with whatever herbs or spices I want to use. Have you looked through nourishing traditions? That's guaranteed to have lots of recipes that don't call for anything processed.
No I haven't. Thanks guys! I always just put it in the crock pot with salt, pepper, rosemary and veggies but it taste bland to me. I used to use Onion soup mix ... but I don't use that anymore. I am sure people used to be able to flavor things before Lipton came along. It's too late to make tonight.. (and i never got an email that anyone had replied...) so I will check see what I can find to start it in the morning.
#425 of 1116 Old 02-08-2009, 06:23 PM

Good luck! Sometimes at New Seasons you can find things, (dried herbs) in bottles that say things like "blend for:" those are usually pretty un-processed, just dried.
#426 of 1116 Old 02-08-2009, 06:33 PM

ok I use Superior Touch Crockery Gourmet seasoning mix for beef http://superiortouch.com/
EXCELLENT! my roasts usually turn out great, but the guy at the meat market suggested this and it's really good

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#427 of 1116 Old 02-08-2009, 08:24 PM

Freddy's has $6 off of emergC right now. Almost half off.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#428 of 1116 Old 02-08-2009, 08:29 PM

wow, that's unexpected! I bought an oven timer because things have been taking 2-3x as long to cook in the oven as I would have expected... set the temp to 375 to calibrate, and the thermometer is reading over 425! WTF? I hate my stove.

#429 of 1116 Old 02-08-2009, 08:33 PM

oven thermometer, rather

#430 of 1116 Old 02-08-2009, 09:14 PM

bizarre, but not far-fetched. I could totally see that happening at my house. I have no luck with thermometers. My digital meat thermometer didn't work at first but then started working after a while. I kept trying it because I thought I was doing something wrong. Maybe I was? :

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#431 of 1116 Old 02-08-2009, 10:24 PM

Geez... I'm bored

Husband and son are both sound asleep for late naps. I guess they can keep each other company late tonight after I've gone to bed

The netflix movie that I've had for a freakin' 2 months? Yuck. Watched 5 minutes of it and turned it off.

I made lip balm, which is cool.

Kitchen is clean.

I need to start laundry, but don't want to wake up the boys.

Dinner is already made.

I have no desire to blog. I've caught up with everyone's blogs.

Humm... MDC is slow today. And don't you go suggesting I join facebook.
#432 of 1116 Old 02-08-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post

The netflix movie that I've had for a freakin' 2 months? Yuck. Watched 5 minutes of it and turned it off.

That happens to me almost every time with the netflix. so frustrating!

I have a quiet house too. I didn't get my alone time yesterday, so Ryan took Nico to the movies today. And I'm doing chores

Well, and having fun on facebook

#433 of 1116 Old 02-08-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:

You need to join Facebook!!

I had a whole post here.. went to look for a smiliey came back and it was gone. :

N/M this info was wrong.

We went to New Seasons and I got the book Nourishing Traditions. It looks promising. I have been very disappointed with the last few cook books I have bought.. so I hope that one doesn't disappoint me in the end.

I was telling a story about Dh, Taquito's and me threatening to stick them where the sun doens't shine.. but I don't fell like retyping it. :P
#434 of 1116 Old 02-08-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
Freddy's has $6 off of emergC right now. Almost half off.
Oooh! Any idea if that's all week, or is this the last day? I don't want to go back out, but that's tempting. Sprog wanted me to buy the red kind, and I didn't because we've got most of a package of tangerine.

Quote:
Oh, I hate that! Every once in a while I don't get around to watching a netflix movie for a long time, and it bugs the carp out of me. Or when I get a book from the library, hate it or don't read it, and bring it back late and have to pay a fine.

We got a Pingu DVD from Netflix, and I think Sprogly's going to wear it out. I love Pingu, but it's starting to get on my nerves.

So I have someone to take Sprogly after school. This is after a fairly emotional email to the VFS list, where I basically said I was going to have to pull him from school and find daycare, and how sad I was about it. I ended up getting a few offers, most of which weren't really feasible. So these folks are in Gresham, which isn't ideal, but we'll see, it might be an interim solution, or it might be fine. At least I don't have to pull him this week. Can't tell ya how relieved I am.

I am embarrassed to go to work tomorrow, after last week, being a totally nasty crazy person on steroids, and then spending most of Friday either crying or trying to pull myself together after crying. Jeez. What a ride. Hope I get to keep my job.

Got a lot done today. Not everything I wanted to get done, but rearranged my room so it's easier to keep clean, did all the laundry. I'd really like to go straight to bed now, but I suppose I ought to feed my child.
#435 of 1116 Old 02-08-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Geez... I'm bored

Husband and son are both sound asleep for late naps. I guess they can keep each other company late tonight after I've gone to bed

I made lip balm, which is cool.

Kitchen is clean.

I need to start laundry, but don't want to wake up the boys.

Dinner is already made.

I have no desire to blog. I've caught up with everyone's blogs.

I spent the day trying not to get sick. Didn't work. We do have a working dishwasher now though, and my kitchen is spotless, thanks to Todd! He brought me some tea, covered me in a blanket and is making roasted carrot soup for dinner, as per my instructions.

I think Facebook may have even been slow today though, since I didn't see any e-mail from it.
#436 of 1116 Old 02-09-2009, 12:27 AM

#437 of 1116 Old 02-09-2009, 12:34 AM

I cleaned my carpets today, finished laundry, finished any last minute chores and then showered.
Then Campbell and I went to Best Buy to buy me a copy of photoshop so I can um.......try my hand at editing photos that i take with my new d90...so it's something else that I don't know how to use..I am batting 0 over here.
Then we went to Olive Garden for dinner. Service was great, but they could have laid off a bit. Every other minute they were coming to the table. Then they brought my pasta and YUCK..then they didn't come back around till I was finished. I didn't eat the pasta though. I also didn't have to pay for it. They were quite stingy with the alfredo. So I ate soup and salad and breadsticks. Then we had a YUMMY chocolate cake for dessert with strawberries and vanilla cream stuff....yum.
Now it's bed time as I have to be up at 5:30am for work.....if I can pull myself away from trying to learn how to do photoshop.

TTC #3

#438 of 1116 Old 02-09-2009, 12:47 AM

ok, i went to ER. i now know that i have arterial clots in my toes. probably due to birth control pills. i am on blood thinners and need to give myself a shot twice a day. my toes are now turning blue and i can't walk for more than a brief time. i have vicodin but it didn't help and i can't sleep. tomorrow, i am skipping work to ask for an earlier doc appt.

kieran invented a new game... pumpkin life cycle.
you lie down as seeds. someone waters you. you grow into a plant. a bulge appears and becomes a pumpkin. you carve kieran's head and put in a candle. he then rots in the garden and becomes seeds again.
#439 of 1116 Old 02-09-2009, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post
#440 of 1116 Old 02-09-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowEarthFaerie View Post
After a long absence, I have decided to leave MDC. I know that most of you won't miss me anyway, seeing as how I really haven't been posting the last few months. I still have my FB page for those of you on there. I'll miss a lot of you, but there is just too much going on for me right now. Thank you for having me these last few years.
eliza i feel a bit the same... i am sorry that i never got to know you.
#441 of 1116 Old 02-09-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottiew View Post
ok, i went to ER. i now know that i have arterial clots in my toes. probably due to birth control pills. i am on blood thinners and need to give myself a shot twice a day. my toes are now turning blue and i can't walk for more than a brief time. i have vicodin but it didn't help and i can't sleep. tomorrow, i am skipping work to ask for an earlier doc appt.

you lie down as seeds. someone waters you. you grow into a plant. a bulge appears and becomes a pumpkin. you carve kieran's head and put in a candle. he then rots in the garden and becomes seeds again.
Jill - I'm really glad you got an answer but I'm so sorry that this happened to you.
#442 of 1116 Old 02-09-2009, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Cross posted...

That sucks. I'm so sorry to hear that. Are you taking Lovenox? I had to take it while pregnant with Hazel. : you get an earlier appt.
#443 of 1116 Old 02-09-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
We'll be in the same boat with Olivia. She'll be almost 6 when she starts Kinde.
can't you guys test in?
#444 of 1116 Old 02-09-2009, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure we can test in for PPS.
#445 of 1116 Old 02-09-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
Cross posted...

That sucks. I'm so sorry to hear that. Are you taking Lovenox? I had to take it while pregnant with Hazel. : you get an earlier appt.
yep, that is it. i guess it's OK, but i don't want it forever. plus, toes not better i got one good nurse who kept rounding up techs and docs from all over town cause she didn't want me to have clots go to my brain on her watch i will say, i heard some interesting stuff from that nurse station... arguing over who got what patients?

i really though fall bday could test in at pps? i swear i read that on mdc. but i don't know if midyear.. i guess i missed the vfs drama.
my school just had the montessori kindy mtg- we went even tho he has 2 more years... it's neat to see what they will progress to.. i mean, they start with bean pouring, and at the end, are diagraming sentences, squaring and cubing numbers... and every parent there was so concerned how they would transition to pps. like they want them to be ahead tho...
#446 of 1116 Old 02-09-2009, 01:05 AM

If you need a really good laugh, read this blog post. It is very long but keep going -- it is the very best at the very end. And it is not so appropriate for children's eyes...
#447 of 1116 Old 02-09-2009, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
yep, that is it. i guess it's OK, but i don't want it forever. plus, toes not better i got one good nurse who kept rounding up techs and docs from all over town cause she didn't want me to have clots go to my brain on her watch i will say, i heard some interesting stuff from that nurse station... arguing over who got what patients?
LOL at that nurse. We don't get to choose our patients where I work otherwise we'd fight over them too.
#448 of 1116 Old 02-09-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Ooh, Zoe, I'd love to come another time. I really want to finish reinforcing and painting my bellycast, and actually just brought some of the supplies to do that.
I need to do this too! I figured out what I want to do to it.. but i just need to find the time and energy.
Quote:

Um... wow about your clot/toes. I'm worried about you! You were in my dream last night... and were a red head.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#449 of 1116 Old 02-09-2009, 01:15 AM

Wow Jill that's scary! I'm glad you went ahead and made the visit to ER. Sounds like you got a hero-nurse. : for a sooner appointment.

#450 of 1116 Old 02-09-2009, 01:25 AM

Jill, I am really sorry about your toe and the clots. I hope you get an earlier appointment and feel better soon.

I am kinda hoping you can test in to K. I wont know for sure for another two years.. but if Alex stays on this track, he will be ready for it. I think Bre was ready for it this year as well.. but no one lets kids with Jan. BD's start so I didn't even fight it.

I took Elizabeth to an appointment for Vision therapy last week. He did an eye exam and said she needed new glasses that her prescription had changed significantly enough to get them. I was annoyed cause she just got glasses in Aug. and I was hoping to save her next ones for summer or fall. But if she needed them she needed them so I got them. I picked them up Friday and she they were far worse than her old ones. I called the eye doctor and was told she needed to get used to them and the doctor would call me if he had time. He never called. DH stood about 15 feet away from her and held up four fingers.. she thought he had three. The neighbors had put a heart ballon on the street sign and she thought it was a circle. DH told her to take them off and put her old ones back on. That was far worse than needing to get used to them. It was the wrong script. So now I am annoyed I wasted her glasses... what if her script really DOES change? And if this guys gives her such a crappy script how can I trust him for vision therapy?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page