Lovin PDX in February - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I"m going to try and tough it out this morning and take Lily to school. I will probably just drop her off at the door though.

It's snowing here, but the street is really wet, so I can't tell if it's going to stick or not. I have a BIG deposit for the bank this morning, and was hoping to go down to the Woodstock WAMU so I wouldn't have to go in there either. (I'm really sick, and don't want to spread this crap.) I hope I can make it down there before it does start to stick.
#482 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
How come it snows every time I have an early morning appointment? :

Airplay Cafe might not happen this morning, depending on weather. I don't want to shlepp Chase around town in the snow.

On the plus side, Chase didn't wake up until 6am today : Amazing what a different an hour can make to Mama's attitude!
Wow, I just read this and saw that it is indeed snowing. It snows every time we have a Dr. Pike appt. It doesn't look too bad though.
#483 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post
Wow, I just read this and saw that it is indeed snowing. It snows every time we have a Dr. Pike appt. It doesn't look too bad though.
Not bad at all, actually. I don't think the snow is sticking to the road, and they say it's going to be raining by 10am. I still rescheduled my car service, though : Not so much because of the weather but more the thought of how the day will go if it takes more than a couple of hours. We'll do it on Monday, when DH is off work and I don't have to take Chase with me.

So, Jessica, I won't be at Airplay after all.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#484 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 12:49 PM

:::::::::: :::::::::: :

Interrupting your wonderful big thread to invite you to a Valentines craft party/playdate at my house in Wilsonville on Thursday, anytime between 11:30-3. PM me if you want the address!

:::::::::: :::::::::: :

Carry on.
#485 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 12:54 PM

Oooh we might come! that could be fun!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#486 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 01:01 PM

A favor to ask you mamas... if you finish with lip balm jars or tins (the small ones), could you save them for me? I have begun making my own lip balm and am experimenting with recipes and need all the containers I can get. The burt's bees ones work really well.

Thank you! :

If you would like some free balm in exchange for giving me feedback, PM me
I made my first batch, which is lemon coconut.
#487 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 01:39 PM

the roads aren't bad at all.

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
#488 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 02:45 PM

No.. not right now.. but I am canceling my day due to a migraine... and the threat of 1-3 inches later ... The way the weather works around here that could either mean rain or 6 inches or somewhere in between. And I don't feel like dealing with it with a pounding head.
#489 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Joi

Lee.... I used to make my own balms and have a bunch of new pots..... I don't know when I will be seeing you again but I will put them in a sack for you
#490 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 03:06 PM

I just made this:

Ingredients:
4 parts instant dry milk
2 parts sugar
1 part cocoa

And it's pretty good for instant hot cocoa. I bought powdered milk at New Seasons from the bulk section but I would prefer organic. Does anyone know if they make it and where to get it?

Also, a vanilla bean. A lot of recipes call for storing a vannilla bean in the jar with the mix. Adding a tad of vanilla to it made it taste a lot better. It's much better than the Equal exchange instant hot cocoa I bought for like 8 bux at New Seasons and I use the Equal exchange cocoa to make this mix. I think it is all the extra stuff they add it to.

Anyway.. ideas?
#491 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joi View Post
Lee.... I used to make my own balms and have a bunch of new pots..... I don't know when I will be seeing you again but I will put them in a sack for you
Ooh, thank you!!

We go through a LOT of lip balm in this house, so making our own is pretty fun and economical.

Also -- I kept forgetting to tell you I got my chinook book from you, thank you and I have already used a bunch of the coupons
#492 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 03:35 PM

In case anyone cares, I made that hot cocoa recipe with Xylitol and it tastes the same to me.
#493 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 04:43 PM

well i went to airplay and it was awesome : (first time i'd been). i figured it was a snow thing that you didn't make it, karen. doug turned off my alarm so i didn't wake up until 8 and had to get the kids dressed and isaac up to school. rush rush and i didn't get online before we left.

we are such morning sleepers. without an alarm we sleep until 8 or 9 (well ebin usually wakes ~6 but goes back to sleep). kindergarten is going to be such a wakeup call for us. literally

can i just vent about my husband for a minute? i bought him this shirt for christmas. he is suuuuper picky and i could tell he didn't like it. i had the receipt, said take it back, etc. 'oh no. i'll keep it.' meanwhile making disparaging comments about it. anyway. he kept it and it has been hanging on our coatrack ever since the day after christmas when he wore it once. the thing that irks me is that it was $54 and he could have exchanged it for a large chunk of change towards new goggles for snowboarding. at this point i am just getting mad every time i hang up my coat and SEE it : we don't spend a lot of money on clothes and that was a pretty spendy shirt in my book!!

i need to do something with it, clearly i should have never let him cut the tags off!!!!!!

end/b-fest about the stupid shirt
#494 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
well i went to airplay and it was awesome : (first time i'd been). i figured it was a snow thing that you didn't make it, karen. doug turned off my alarm so i didn't wake up until 8 and had to get the kids dressed and isaac up to school. rush rush and i didn't get online before we left.

we are such morning sleepers. without an alarm we sleep until 8 or 9 (well ebin usually wakes ~6 but goes back to sleep). kindergarten is going to be such a wakeup call for us. literally

can i just vent about my husband for a minute? i bought him this shirt for christmas. he is suuuuper picky and i could tell he didn't like it. i had the receipt, said take it back, etc. 'oh no. i'll keep it.' meanwhile making disparaging comments about it. anyway. he kept it and it has been hanging on our coatrack ever since the day after christmas when he wore it once. the thing that irks me is that it was $54 and he could have exchanged it for a large chunk of change towards new goggles for snowboarding. at this point i am just getting mad every time i hang up my coat and SEE it : we don't spend a lot of money on clothes and that was a pretty spendy shirt in my book!!

i need to do something with it, clearly i should have never let him cut the tags off!!!!!!

end/b-fest about the stupid shirt
I am sorry. I can understand.. it's not so much that he didn't like the shirt.. but you feel he wasted the shirt. At this point I am not sure what to do. Maybe you can sell it on craigslist? Maybe you can try to take it back to the store anyway? Maybe you can find a flaw in it that would give you a reason to take it back.

I think if my DH was that pickey about clothes (as is Elizabeth) I wouldn't buy anything without him with me. As is.. he likes anything cheap, that is cotton, that actually fits. (talls are even sometimes too small for him.) So as long as I can find the right size.. i know it's OK.
#495 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 05:05 PM

i don't even care that he didn't like the shirt because he doesn't like anything i buy. but i always feel like if i at least buy him clothes he can take them back and then he'll *have* to get some clothes he likes. i'd rather do that than just buy gift cards. i think he has gift cards from other family members that have been in his wallet for over a year. i am just irked that he claimed he liked it when i could tell he really didn't. waste.of.money.

i think my irritation has peaked because i cleaned out my wallet last night and tossed the receipt. i could try to take it back but i doubt highly they'd take it at this point.

maybe i will just call him up at work and randomly freak out about it. because that would be productive

i'll probably take it to buffalo and get $5
#496 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
i don't even care that he didn't like the shirt because he doesn't like anything i buy. but i always feel like if i at least buy him clothes he can take them back and then he'll *have* to get some clothes he likes. i'd rather do that than just buy gift cards. i think he has gift cards from other family members that have been in his wallet for over a year. i am just irked that he claimed he liked it when i could tell he really didn't. waste.of.money.

i think my irritation has peaked because i cleaned out my wallet last night and tossed the receipt. i could try to take it back but i doubt highly they'd take it at this point.

maybe i will just call him up at work and randomly freak out about it. because that would be productive

i'll probably take it to buffalo and get $5
Yea.. I know it is the waste of money thing

I see your DH is a lot like mine. He wont go buy clothes. He hates to shop for clothes. He doens't care about clothes.. he doesn't even care about how much money I saved cause I bought it on clearance cuase clothes suck. But at least he will wear what I buy him....I think i would go insane if he hated to buy clothes and was too picky to wear what I bought.
#497 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 05:51 PM

i feel so bad. kieran has All. This. Energy. after school and I do not. I used to try to plan things, and he just complained and fought, so I just stopped trying, now he has nothing to do. So I guess I need to try again... he makes things hard! so needy. and i am not a good mom detective. i really wish he had a pack of friends or something. but logistically, very hard for us (as in, no one else ever on the same wavelength). i just feel like we have lost time, like the whole year of being 3...

foot is better if i stay off it, but not 'resolved', just hanging on... jsut too much to deal with right now.
(sorry for the grumpy)
#498 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottiew View Post
i feel so bad. kieran has All. This. Energy. after school and I do not. I used to try to plan things, and he just complained and fought, so I just stopped trying, now he has nothing to do. So I guess I need to try again... he makes things hard! so needy. and i am not a good mom detective. i really wish he had a pack of friends or something. but logistically, very hard for us (as in, no one else ever on the same wavelength). i just feel like we have lost time, like the whole year of being 3...

foot is better if i stay off it, but not 'resolved', just hanging on... jsut too much to deal with right now.
(sorry for the grumpy)
I really hope your foot is better.

Do you have a good backyard? You don't need to plan things. Just let him loose outside when the weather is nice. Sit out back and read or work or do what you do while you watch him and he plays. If it's not a nice day.. there are dance videos and such for kids. You can pop one in and let him work out his energy. Then maybe he will quietly play with blocks or cars or whatever his favorite things are so you can get things done. I know it's easier said than done.... but you don't need to play his every minute. Just give him things to work off the energy at home.. outside or in the house. That is all he really needs.

Oh something my kids love.. those exercise trampolines.
#499 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 06:11 PM

Not-so-nice days can tire a kid out, too! But does he have sensory issues against rain/mud? If I can convince myself it's OK, sometimes I let Maddy loose in the puddles and then she has a warm shower and that uses a lot of energy!

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#500 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 06:21 PM

Jessica, sorry I missed you this morning! We almost went, anyway, but I decided not to since we are trying to be better about budgeting. Went to Trader Joe's instead. :eyeroll:

Hmm, it was raining a minute ago, but now it looks like snow again. Ho hum.

Joi, I'm planning on going to the playdate at Lee's next week; if you give me the pots, I can take them to her.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#501 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 07:31 PM

Sara,

I dunno why but I thought of you when I saw this ad.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bar/1028108352.html
#502 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 07:38 PM

That sounds enticing to me, although my yard is all pine needles and shade, so I doubt I'd be able to help that person out.
#503 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Sara,

I dunno why but I thought of you when I saw this ad.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bar/1028108352.html
well shit. We're paying people to do virtually the same thing, except Ryan and I get stuck with all the labor in addition to the bill. :

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#504 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
well shit. We're paying people to do virtually the same thing, except Ryan and I get stuck with all the labor in addition to the bill. :
Hrm... Maybe that is why I thought of you.
#505 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 08:03 PM

well, this person may still be trying to learn/develop skills. We're more hoping to glean as much as we can from people very knowledgeable about gardening and urban farming. So, it's really two different "products", though both result in organic produce (hopefully).

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#506 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
well, this person may still be trying to learn/develop skills. We're more hoping to glean as much as we can from people very knowledgeable about gardening and urban farming. So, it's really two different "products", though both result in organic produce (hopefully).
The idea I had was maybe this person lives in an apartment and doens't have any land.
#507 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 08:53 PM

my poor pup has a UTI AND round worms...so $300 later we should be set to go for atleast a month..also had to deworm the cat as I learned today that he can get worms from the dog and OH..campbell needs to be tested too since they are easy for kids to get? Atleast that's what the vet said......

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#508 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Are you guys doing the same thing Breana did? I'm intrigued, but like I said, I don't think there is much we can do here, since it's all pine needles and shade. One of the many reasons we want to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
The idea I had was maybe this person lives in an apartment and doens't have any land.
That could very well be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
my poor pup has a UTI AND round worms...so $300 later we should be set to go for atleast a month..also had to deworm the cat as I learned today that he can get worms from the dog and OH..campbell needs to be tested too since they are easy for kids to get? Atleast that's what the vet said......
Yep. I had to de-worm my cats once, and have Lily tested. She was fine, though.

+++

I am SO going to bed early tonight. I'm ready to collapse. I'm almost positive this must be the flu. I keep thinking how much worse it would be though if I didn't take my oscillo once a week. I'm very sluggish, and dizzy if I try to do too much. Out of breath, coughing up manatee calves, and sneezing. My eyes feel like they are on fire.

Oy. So, I'm thinking I probably won't be at Papaccino's this week, unless something miraculous happens.
#509 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 10:00 PM

Stupid Orgonian.

I have been calling them for 6 freaking weeks telling them to STOP delivering the "free"
paper. As far as I am concerned they are littering in my yard. So today I called and again told them to stop delivering it and told them to send the deliver person back to my house to clean up his/her mess. Which of course they will "pass on" but they wont get the message today.

Seriously if I get a paper next week.. I am going to press charges for littering or something. I don't get the paper cause I don't read it and I don't like cleaning it up out of my yard. I just kicked it behind dh's car. If it is not picked up tomorrow I will call and complain again. I hate having phone books delivered too!
#510 of 1116 Old 02-10-2009, 10:05 PM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page