Lovin PDX in February - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gah, all the sick news is terrible. I am sorry and hope everyone recovers soon.

I'm in my own world right now. We have plane tickets to fly to Austin this Thursday, returning Sunday. Because of Mike's emergency trip to Alaska in January, he couldn't ask for the time off this week. So we decided we would postpone the trip. Well freaking guess what? The change fee is $150 PER PERSON in addition to any fare differences!!!! And if we cancel the trip, they still change the $150 service fee per ticket. So we either cough up an additional $450 for this trip, or we lose $450. Either way it SUCKS. I am so pissed off at the moment. This was to be our only trip of the year.
#62 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 10:51 PM

My car is dead, as in Will. Not. Start. At all. Won't even pretend to turn over, and it's blocking the driveway so we can't use the truck either.

We might try to push it onto the street later, but it's hard to do because our driveway is so straight and the damn street is way too busy to do that right now.

Shit. I guess I'll be riding the cargo bike that I can still barely steer to get Lily to school tomorrow. We still don't have the cover attached to it, so I'm praying it doesn't rain. I would rather do that than get on the bus with all the sick people who have to go to work at that hour.

I want things to stop breaking right now.
#63 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Gah, all the sick news is terrible. I am sorry and hope everyone recovers soon.

I'm in my own world right now. We have plane tickets to fly to Austin this Thursday, returning Sunday. Because of Mike's emergency trip to Alaska in January, he couldn't ask for the time off this week. So we decided we would postpone the trip. Well freaking guess what? The change fee is $150 PER PERSON in addition to any fare differences!!!! And if we cancel the trip, they still change the $150 service fee per ticket. So we either cough up an additional $450 for this trip, or we lose $450. Either way it SUCKS. I am so pissed off at the moment. This was to be our only trip of the year.
Yeap, thats what happened to us when we canceled the NOLA trip. Airlines suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
My car is dead, as in Will. Not. Start. At all. Won't even pretend to turn over, and it's blocking the driveway so we can't use the truck either.

We might try to push it onto the street later, but it's hard to do because our driveway is so straight and the damn street is way too busy to do that right now.

Shit. I guess I'll be riding the cargo bike that I can still barely steer to get Lily to school tomorrow. We still don't have the cover attached to it, so I'm praying it doesn't rain. I would rather do that than get on the bus with all the sick people who have to go to work at that hour.

And it wont jump either?
#64 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 11:19 PM

We'll try that later, but he didn't think it was the battery, because it didn't even rattle. I'm hoping it is, because it's really : out there, and I'm no longer used to being outside in the : Not to mention I have a cold.
#65 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 11:30 PM

If the battery is really dead it will just click. No rattling.
#66 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
You sound like my mom
Have you seen that recall list lately? it's HUGE.
#67 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 11:34 PM

Just a fly by posting:

Healing Vibes to all the sick babes and mamas :

Lee: that is totally crummy about your trip and the expense. Gah. that is why I only fly SWA. they let you use all credit or even give it to someone else, I love them. So sorry that this is happening right now for you. URGH.
Can you also remind me when the playdate at your house with Maude? My PDA died today and was not backed up.

And my TP post is about those dirty antibacterial products and the toxic chemicals that are in them.
#68 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 PM

Do you have an article about those hand sanitizers? Breanna's preschool uses those and it drives me nuts!! Now Bre is supposed to use the sink, but I hate it when they tell the kids to "wash their hands" and they go use that stuff. Ick.
#69 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Have you seen that recall list lately? it's HUGE.
I check it every day just waiting for the Kirkland Signature trailmix to be added.

I always get made fun of by the other nurses for washing my hands at the sink instead of using the wall foam. We just got a new soap, though, and the active ingredient is tricloban. I'm apparently allergic to it so my boss ordered me some of my own soap. Our old soap had chlohexidine as the active ingredient and infection control thought it was not effective against some of the microbes
#70 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

My multiquote post disappeared, so I tried again

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
Did you take Hazel in to get DX or was it by process of elimination? (and don't worry, I know you wouldn't have knowingly exposed anyone to sickness. )
I took her into Dr Coughlin at BMC. He examined her and declared it RSV. Then he heard her cough and that sealed the deal. He offered to write an order for a rapid test at Emanuel, but I didn't want to take her into the lab there with all the other sickies. Plus.... we all know what kinda crazies work there

Quote:
The change fee is $150 PER PERSON in addition to any fare differences!!!! And if we cancel the trip, they still change the $150 service fee per ticket. So we either cough up an additional $450 for this trip, or we lose $450. Either way it SUCKS. I am so pissed off at the moment. This was to be our only trip of the year.

Quote:

That sucks about the car. I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow!
#71 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:

could be the starter.

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
#72 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
If the battery is really dead it will just click. No rattling.
No sound. None whatsoever. The blower, lights, and radio do work, however.

Quote:
I check it every day just waiting for the Kirkland Signature trailmix to be added.

I always get made fun of by the other nurses for washing my hands at the sink instead of using the wall foam. We just got a new soap, though, and the active ingredient is tricloban. I'm apparently allergic to it so my boss ordered me some of my own soap. Our old soap had chlohexidine as the active ingredient and infection control thought it was not effective against some of the microbes
I find that somewhat disturbing that they rely on the wall foam to keep the germs at bay. I'm probably looked at as a high maintenance patient, but I will make a nurse wash their hands every time they come into my room for anything while I'm in the hospital.

I've had two people in my life (grandma) and a good friend develop serious HA infections though, and one died, so I have my reasons.
#73 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
could be the starter.
That's what we think it is. He talked to his mechanic over the phone, and he told him to go out there and hit the starter, because sometimes they just get stuck in the cold, so that is what he's doing.
#74 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 12:28 AM

How weird. My dad is pretty involved with communicable diseases and environmental health over in Clackamas county and he's very adamant about washing hands when possible, and going with the sanitizers as a second best solution. I'm 100% sure he'd take issue if the nurses at health department were using sanitizers instead of soap and water.

Also: I'm so sorry to hear about all the sick babies 'round here.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#75 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 12:30 AM

Yeah, me too. I hope everyone is feeling much better very soon. to all.
#76 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 12:31 AM

WOW! My Hair of the Dog love just grew 10 sizes! Organic ingredients!!! Blow me down!

#77 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 12:35 AM

Cool! Well, it's definitely the starter. Todd and I agreed that I'm just still too iffy to be riding the bike to Lily's school. If I didn't have to take it down Alberta by the freeway entrances/exits, I might try it, but it can be hard to get it going, and that place unforgiving at best during morning rush hour.

So, I guess what we will do is stay home tomorrow, buy a new starter for the car, and I will practice riding the bike with a little more intensity, and with Lily in the bucket. I think it won't be too too long before I could take it around in the city, but the steering is freaky, and starting is VERY difficult.
#78 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Yeah, me too. I hope everyone is feeling much better very soon. to all.
There is a way to hook jumper cables to the battery and something else and bypass the starter to start the car. I don't remember exactly how to do it though... and this was an old muscle car so.. I don't know if it will work with newer cars.
#79 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savmay View Post

Lee: that is totally crummy about your trip and the expense. Gah. that is why I only fly SWA. they let you use all credit or even give it to someone else, I love them. So sorry that this is happening right now for you. URGH.
Can you also remind me when the playdate at your house with Maude? My PDA died today and was not backed up.
I'll have to use SWA if we decide to try again. But at this point we don't have the $ for that. Mike learned today that he might only be working 3 days a week in the near future, instead of 5 days. So that would really cut down on the earnings. Sigh. Is mercury out of retrograde yet???

Maude's Tea tasting and playdate at my house is Friday, February 20th.
#80 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
There is a way to hook jumper cables to the battery and something else and bypass the starter to start the car. I don't remember exactly how to do it though... and this was an old muscle car so.. I don't know if it will work with newer cars.
I think it's the alternator. We may try that. We are pretty close to a Baxter's auto parts though, so I might just ride my bike over there tomorrow and buy a new starter. Times like these I wish I had practiced harder with the cargo bike.

I could try that, but I have to go into the school with her to drop her off, so I'd have to turn the car off, then I'd be stuck.

Ah... fun times...
#81 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
I took her into Dr Coughlin at BMC. He examined her and declared it RSV. Then he heard her cough and that sealed the deal. He offered to write an order for a rapid test at Emanuel, but I didn't want to take her into the lab there with all the other sickies. Plus.... we all know what kinda crazies work there
What does her cough sound like? Ruby's is different then it's ever been... She passed out at 6:30, poor kiddo!

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#82 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 01:08 AM

I have the flu full blown worse type of flu.
no work for me tomorrow which means less $ for bills.....GAH...
I went and used my gift card to blockbuster and got a ton of movies and now i am going to camp out in bed

thank goodness campbell had the flu shot....I got a lecture on why I SHOULD HAVE...and a million questions why I didn't...so campbell is at the tail end of a cold and who knows how long i'll have this crap.
all campbell wants to do is jump and play and all the dog wants to do is run, jump, play, pee-poop, eat and start from the beginning again. I just want to crawl under the covers and cry.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#83 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I find that somewhat disturbing that they rely on the wall foam to keep the germs at bay. I'm probably looked at as a high maintenance patient, but I will make a nurse wash their hands every time they come into my room for anything while I'm in the hospital.

I've had two people in my life (grandma) and a good friend develop serious HA infections though, and one died, so I have my reasons.
Wasn't one of the HA infections C-diff? The wall foam definitely doesn't kill it. We're supposed to wash our hands with soap and water when leaving those rooms. And I'm glad you make all nurses wash their hands when coming in and out of your room. Here's an interesting CDC article on hand hygiene. The bolded items especially crack me up... Make sure the doctors and CNAs wash their hands too, especially the male ones.

Quote:
Risk factors for noncompliance with hand hygiene have been determined objectively in several observational studies or interventions to improve compliance (3,14,20,24,44-47).Factors influencing reduced compliance, identified in observational studies of hand hygiene behavior, included being a physician; being a nursing assistant rather than a nurse; being male; working in an intensive care unit (ICU); working during weekdays rather than the weekend; wearing gown and gloves; using an automated sink; performing activities with high risk for cross-transmission; and having many opportunities for hand hygiene per hour of patient care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
What does her cough sound like? Ruby's is different then it's ever been... She passed out at 6:30, poor kiddo!
It's a unique cough for sure. I think that's how the doctor was positive it was RSV vs a normal cold or URI. One thing I thought of tonight... Did Celeste have her boys get the Synagis shots? It really is one time that I'm keeping my : for kids to be vaxed. (Yeah, yeah... I know it's not a true vax, but injected antibodies) If not, please inform her of what Olivia has possibly given Ruby so that she can be on the lookout for signs and symptoms. It can be a big problem for preemies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
Sorry Ericka. I hope you have a good and restful recovery.

Hazel's asleep. She didn't nurse much yesterday, but has picked it up slightly today. I took two of the footies off the co-sleeper so that it slopes down to help with her drainage. I'm so nervous that she'll develop respiratory problems and really hope we're over the hump. I just gotta keep remembering that we have a lot of the risk factors taken care of since we breastfeed and she was a term baby with no immunological problems. Oy vey.
#84 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 01:54 AM

Campbell had the synagis shots when she was a baby. She got RSV last year and thankfully no long term problems and I don't think it lasted too long. I do know we had to give breathing treatments and so forth.

i am so tired..but I can't sleep....this sucks

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#85 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Do you have an article about those hand sanitizers? Breanna's preschool uses those and it drives me nuts!! Now Bre is supposed to use the sink, but I hate it when they tell the kids to "wash their hands" and they go use that stuff. Ick.
Well, not specifically but if they contain the two nasty chemicals in this article...then yes!

Quote:
I'll have to use SWA if we decide to try again. But at this point we don't have the $ for that. Mike learned today that he might only be working 3 days a week in the near future, instead of 5 days. So that would really cut down on the earnings. Sigh. Is mercury out of retrograde yet???

Maude's Tea tasting and playdate at my house is Friday, February 20th.
Thanks for giving me the date, will put in my calendar! When does mercury go out of retrograde???
#86 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 02:35 AM

I don't know, Sav. It's DEFINITELY one of the WORST retrogrades I have EVER seen. First my washer, then my stove, now my car, all in less than a week. :

And of course it all has to happen when Todd is about to lose his job. I am so freaked out right now.

At least my project is done though. No more project! Yay!
#87 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
I don't know, Sav. It's DEFINITELY one of the WORST retrogrades I have EVER seen. First my washer, then my stove, now my car, all in less than a week. :

And of course it all has to happen when Todd is about to lose his job. I am so freaked out right now.

At least my project is done though. No more project! Yay!
Well, you got your three out of the way. Puts his job in the clear, right?

#88 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
no work for me tomorrow which means less $ for bills.....GAH...
I went and used my gift card to blockbuster and got a ton of movies and now i am going to camp out in bed

thank goodness campbell had the flu shot....I got a lecture on why I SHOULD HAVE...and a million questions why I didn't...so campbell is at the tail end of a cold and who knows how long i'll have this crap.
all campbell wants to do is jump and play and all the dog wants to do is run, jump, play, pee-poop, eat and start from the beginning again. I just want to crawl under the covers and cry.
You could tell them you didn't get the shot cause it is a load of garbage. :P Even when I vaxed I would have never ever ever considered getting myself or my children the flu shot. As a matter of fact, the uptake in the flu shot popularity is why I started researching and stopped vaxing all together. Tell me it's "required" to get while I am pregnant. Bah.
#89 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 04:52 AM

well I had campbell get the flu shot because she was preemie and if she got what I have now, I think we'd be in the hospital right now...I don't think he small 22lb body could handle this.
I'm supposed to get the flu shot because I have a weakened immune system, then on top of that I get Enbrel shots which weaken the immune system MORE...so I can get sick easier.

TTC #3

#90 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:

It's a unique cough for sure. I think that's how the doctor was positive it was RSV vs a normal cold or URI. One thing I thought of tonight... Did Celeste have her boys get the Synagis shots? It really is one time that I'm keeping my : for kids to be vaxed. (Yeah, yeah... I know it's not a true vax, but injected antibodies) If not, please inform her of what Olivia has possibly given Ruby so that she can be on the lookout for signs and symptoms. It can be a big problem for preemies.

The boys were barely eligible for synagist, and had one shot before they went to the east coast. Max just ahd a cold whle they were gone, and shoghi is sick now... not the same symptoms as Ruby. unfortunately, until I knew ruby was sick, she was very kissy and lovey with them (which was really cute). for being preemies, these boys are pretty healthy, so we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Ruby went to bed at 6:30 last night, and was up at 5:30 this morning. She's feverish again today, so i'm sure it will be a lay around kind of day. hopefully we can both get a nap, I'm pooped. Of course, if she naps, (even when sick) then she sleeps bad that night. maybe we'll get lucky today.

I hope Hazel is on the mend, if Ru were little I'd be much more worried.

Sorry you're so sick, ericka.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page