Lovin PDX in February - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 1116 Old 02-03-2009, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need that sewing block toy for madison. she always wants to sew with me. I did find some sewing cards and she was into it for a sec.

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 12:02 AM

Laura,

Maybe Maddy would like a wagon. Although I don't know if that would work on the bus, but it should help for walking only trips.
#123 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 12:13 AM

She got balloons from the coffee shop once and ran home so fast I was totally blown away! She liked how the balloons streamed out behind her when she ran. I was with Nadine and we joked about having a helium tank and a pocket full of balloons whenever I go out.

We do have a little wagon in our outdoor toy box... I'll pull it out next time we go out. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#124 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
Tiff Maybe he's scared to put too much hope into this and so is trying to make it seem like a waste from the start. People can be really weird and backwards when they're afraid.
You said it really well, Sara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
Man, I really want to go to SF again! I want to see more of it. We weren't there long enough last time!
If you go, I hope you will splurge a bit and go to my favorite restaurant, Millineum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarstella View Post
t
So rather than just sit at home depressed about it, we went downtown! And since we didn't have any plans, I just let Maddy chose what we did, for the most part. We spent a good long time at City Hall. I saw a picture that showed our very own house in 1926, and it was on a dirt road! I think the picture was really to focus on a big historical house down the street. It was pretty cool to see. They had a really cool art installation of hanging mobile type things that go up 20 feet or so, and a big round cushion below them so we laid down to admire the installation. Amelia even loved looking at that! We picked up some maps of things to do, and then ran around some more and Maddy charmed all the personel, and then we walked to the light rail (stopping to pet the sculptures at the art museum) and went up to 23rd to have mexican lunch. Maddy got an umbrella and a sewing block at Child's Play, and I got some lovely Lush goodies, and then we went home.

The walking portions were the hard parts. Maddy first of all takes little half inch steps and glares at me if I tell her to walk faster. I ask her if her legs hurt, if she needs to go potty, does she want to stop and look at something, does she want to stop walking for a little while and I'll find a bench to feed Amelia.... her answer is always, "no." She wants to walk. 0.005 miles/hour. : I would bring the stroller if it wasn't a total PITA, especially since Maddy insists on walking mst of the time anyway. Days like this are truly a labor of love. I just can't bear to keep heor at home all the time just because I dread the parts where she is ... um... challenging. She's challenging no matter where we are. I may as well get out of the house and get some Lush goodies while I'm at it.

That little sewing block toy is awesome. She is so quiet and concentrating with that thing. It was $6.50 at child's play.

I looked up Cliff and my moon sign compatibility, and it is right on. Just today he had some wild scheme (it's doable, but I know how he is...) that has some significant upfront cost, and I told him to finish Maddy's room first. He was like, oh, if I do this, I promise to finish her room. And I was like, you do the room first... and he was grumbly but agreeable. He's lucky I have the forward vision of an aquarius to balance out that taurus moon.
Your day sounds really cool! Thanks for sharing it.

I bolded the part that I TOTALLY GET right now. I believe the noun for it is "toddler".

The moon sign thing is so cool. It was right on for Mike and me, too!
#125 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 01:16 AM

Quote:
I just got an email with a code to use for presale Flight of the Conchords tickets. LMK if interested.
I would be! I get paid in the next couple days, unless they pull the same crap they pulled last month. : that doesn't happen again!
#126 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 01:18 AM

I'll have to remember that name, Lee! Thanks for the recommendation.

Although... my big trip this year might be to Atlanta for the ICAN conference. They have chapter leader training there too... I guess we'll see, since it's in April, and I'd have to figure out how to fund it.
#127 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
I would be! I get paid in the next couple days, unless they pull the same crap they pulled last month. : that doesn't happen again!
Presale ticket offer for Backstage Pass members!

Flight of the Conchords (details...)
Grammy nominated folk comedy duo and stars of the HBO hit show...

May 14, 2009 - Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall

Presale tickets! Presale begins Thursday, February 5 at 10 a.m.
Presale ends Thursday, February 5 at 10 p.m.

Buy your tickets before the general public at the PCPA Box Office or online!

Tickets are $38.50 plus service charges. Limited seats are available for this offer.
Presale tickets are available at the PCPA box office and online through Ticketmaster.
Tickets go on sale to the general public Friday, February 6 at 10 a.m.
For online purchases, use box marked "Internet Presale" with password.

Use password "PCPA" to access presale tickets.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#128 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 01:26 AM

I'm going to see if that can be my Mother's day present this year.
#129 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 01:35 AM

Does anyone know what the limit on the ratio of children/teacher is at a preschool? Here I'd been told that they had a very low ratio of kids on Fridays, but they've switched it up and now it's 11 to 2. Considering how wild it was last week, this is making me very nervous. As does the last minute change. And the fact that she didn't remember I'm coming tomorrow. And the fact that she didn't remember what day I was requesting care.

UGH!

Also, where is Jill lately?

#130 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 01:37 AM

hmm... I'd LOVE to see FotC with Cliff... Amelia will be almost 8 mos. I think we could get tickets, and then sell them if we have to. 8 mos is big separation anxiety time usually!

I just started baking a batch of almond cookies I made the dough for yesterday, and I suddenly realized I had accidentally doubled the butter. They're delicious. I'm going to adjust the ingredients for the rest of the dough when I make the rest, and then we will have almost twice the cookies!

#131 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know what the limit on the ratio of children/teacher is at a preschool? Here I'd been told that they had a very low ratio of kids on Fridays, but they've switched it up and now it's 11 to 2. Considering how wild it was last week, this is making me very nervous. As does the last minute change. And the fact that she didn't remember I'm coming tomorrow. And the fact that she didn't remember what day I was requesting care.

UGH!
I think it's 1:10 up to age 5 and 1:15 over age 5, but I can't imagine the chaos that would create.
#132 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
As does the last minute change. And the fact that she didn't remember I'm coming tomorrow. And the fact that she didn't remember what day I was requesting care.
That kind of stuff always makes me nervous. However, I could see myself being like that in that position... but maybe that's why it makes me so nervous! I have a higher expectation for the professional than I do for myself. I hope tomorrow's visit gives you the answers you need.

#133 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licorice Whip View Post
I think it's 1:10 up to age 5 and 1:15 over age 5, but I can't imagine the chaos that would create.
:

#134 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 01:47 AM

Cliff just informed me that we are now profiting off of hosting!

#135 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiromama View Post
Hedy, from my understanding, a healthy adult getting RSV is about as bad as a cold. Same for a healthy toddler. she's just got a miserable fever and malaise.
#136 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 02:08 AM

remember hypercolor?

#137 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 03:13 AM

facebook is amazing. Just chatted with the preschool owner... she was checking in to get a feel for how I was feeling about the kid/teacher ratio change, and she said she had already spoken with the other provider about how Nico would probably require some real bonding time, and that worse case scenario she would come in to help out and spend special time with Nico, if it proved necessary. It must be hard trying to balance the various and sundry needs of so many parents. It seems like there has been a parental schedule change every time the subject has come up. Nice to have a care provider that is willing to try desperately to accommodate parents, but shit! It can't be easy.

#138 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 03:48 AM

yay! I really hope it works out for you!

#139 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
That kind of stuff always makes me nervous. However, I could see myself being like that in that position... but maybe that's why it makes me so nervous! I have a higher expectation for the professional than I do for myself. I hope tomorrow's visit gives you the answers you need.
Yep. That is why I am getting increasingly unhappy with Bre's preschool. I figured if you are going to be a preschool teacher for 20 years... you should have a much higher stress threshold.

I was talking to a "friend" from high school on face book. I say "friend" cause we didn't talk outside class where he sat behind me for four years becuase his name was after mine alphabetically. Anyway.. he asked me how long it was normal to nurse. It seems his sister/sil (I never figured out which) had moved in with him and his wife a year ago. She still nurses her nearly 3 year old to sleep. I laughed and told him he was asking someone who still nurses her 2+ year old. 3 and 4 years old is very common and 5 and 6 isn't unheard of. I also told him that the WHO says at least until 2. I hope he cuts sister/sil some slack now.
#140 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savmay View Post
Thanks for giving me the date, will put in my calendar! When does mercury go out of retrograde???
It ended on the 1st but there was definitely some funk happening the last few days! I noticed it in my own little world and then was blown away seeing everybody's posts. Feels a bit better now, whatever it was.

I sure hope all the sick ones are on the mend now!
#141 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
Morgan and i went to the first appointment with the behavioral peds this morning. he was so nice and kind. i started crying about Addys birth, etc, and he was just so kind and compassionate and i really like him. i have hope that he can help us. of course when we were leaving i asked Morgan what he thought, how he felt about it. his answer: "i cant beieve we have to spend $50 a week for this shit"
:
he is on my LIST right now.
Tiff may i ask who you saw?
#142 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
insomnia+flu=

oh and the fact that I've needed the tv on to sleep since i've been sick..I play reruns of Law and Oder SVU...I'll wake up just to restart my DVR and fall back to sleep....So I rewake up and no tv service...comcast suspended service over a $1.50...SERIOUS??? a dollar fifty??? stupid pricks...then they charge me a $3 charge to take my visa over the phone for a DOLLAR FIFTY
I sure wish I could go with someone else.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
#143 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
oh and I fell asleep before campbell did tonight. She has been really concerned with me being sick, asking like every 5 minutes if mommy is sick. So I woke up around 1am to 9 pepsi's in my bed. Pepsi is my favorite, but since being sick I haven't drank any, which she is concerned about and brings one to me and I'll put it back in the fridge....I figure she just kept bringing them to me for when I woke up...maybe she felt I was behind on drinking them or something?

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
#144 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Yay...from someone who hasn't exactly helped that happen.

Quote:
facebook is amazing. Just chatted with the preschool owner... she was checking in to get a feel for how I was feeling about the kid/teacher ratio change, and she said she had already spoken with the other provider about how Nico would probably require some real bonding time, and that worse case scenario she would come in to help out and spend special time with Nico, if it proved necessary. It must be hard trying to balance the various and sundry needs of so many parents. It seems like there has been a parental schedule change every time the subject has come up. Nice to have a care provider that is willing to try desperately to accommodate parents, but shit! It can't be easy.
Dang, PMS got me again on that one! : You may have found THE right place if the preschool owner is checking in to see how you feel.

And ughs, PLEASE send some good vibes my way! I deposited a check last weekend that they are holding because of the size of it. Half will be available Saturday and the other half the next Saturday! Can you believe that? In this day and age, I don't see the need to hold a check for more than two days. It's like they have a guy on a horse riding between banks and bringing back bags of gold before the dumb check can clear. Today is my last day to pay rent without a penalty and being frowned upon. The branch manager said that if the check shows up in the system today, he'll lift the hold since I'm such a stellar customer, I mean, since I've had the account for a long time. So send some check-seeing vibes my way! It will especially suck if we have no money for my birthday on Friday. It's so frustrating to see the numbers on my bank account but not be able to access ANY of it!

Oh, and, all this wouldn't have happened if I had waited until Monday to go to my regular branch! Instead, I thought a large check should be put in the bank right away. So I drove to Albertson's in Milwaukie to deposit it, and it turns out that was the wrong idea. Branch manager could have immediately lifted the hold, but Albertson's couldn't cause they're not where I opened my account! That's the last time I ever try to be responsible!

If you read all that, thanks for listening. :

Have a lovely day! :
#145 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EStreetMama View Post
It ended on the 1st but there was definitely some funk happening the last few days! I noticed it in my own little world and then was blown away seeing everybody's posts. Feels a bit better now, whatever it was.

I sure hope all the sick ones are on the mend now!
Yeah, but isn't there usually a storm that lasts for 10 - 12 days after the retrograde ends? I haven't looked to see what it is this time, but have heard of that.

Our car... well, the cruise control isn't working now. So... either Todd bumped something on it when he was either removing or installing the starter, which was a BITCH to begin with, or our computer is going out.

Occam's Razor is telling me he dinged it, but my fear is telling me our computer is dying, and we will be without a car soon.

Car vibes needed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
Yay...from someone who hasn't exactly helped that happen.

Dang, PMS got me again on that one! : You may have found THE right place if the preschool owner is checking in to see how you feel.

And ughs, PLEASE send some good vibes my way! I deposited a check last weekend that they are holding because of the size of it. Half will be available Saturday and the other half the next Saturday! Can you believe that? In this day and age, I don't see the need to hold a check for more than two days. It's like they have a guy on a horse riding between banks and bringing back bags of gold before the dumb check can clear. Today is my last day to pay rent without a penalty and being frowned upon. The branch manager said that if the check shows up in the system today, he'll lift the hold since I'm such a stellar customer, I mean, since I've had the account for a long time. So send some check-seeing vibes my way! It will especially suck if we have no money for my birthday on Friday. It's so frustrating to see the numbers on my bank account but not be able to access ANY of it!

Oh, and, all this wouldn't have happened if I had waited until Monday to go to my regular branch! Instead, I thought a large check should be put in the bank right away. So I drove to Albertson's in Milwaukie to deposit it, and it turns out that was the wrong idea. Branch manager could have immediately lifted the hold, but Albertson's couldn't cause they're not where I opened my account! That's the last time I ever try to be responsible!

Have a lovely day! :
Yeah, that happened to us once. I can't remember if it was when we got the IPO, or when we got Todd's first big paycheck. May have happened both times, and it SUCKED! I hope they can find it, because seriously. People DO have bills to pay!

I think they mainly do it because it takes longer to verify funds on something that large, and they don't want you to get screwed. Oh and of course:
#146 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:

And ughs, PLEASE send some good vibes my way! I deposited a check last weekend that they are holding because of the size of it.
Have a lovely day! :
sucky! check seeing at least it's not lost in a ATM.

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
#147 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EStreetMama View Post
SO glad to know it ended. Some funky last-minute stuff for SURE, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
oh and I fell asleep before campbell did tonight. She has been really concerned with me being sick, asking like every 5 minutes if mommy is sick. So I woke up around 1am to 9 pepsi's in my bed. Pepsi is my favorite, but since being sick I haven't drank any, which she is concerned about and brings one to me and I'll put it back in the fridge....I figure she just kept bringing them to me for when I woke up...maybe she felt I was behind on drinking them or something?
Aww she's so sweet. And that is stupid about comcast. "Customer service" doesn't mean sh!t anymore in this day and age. Sigh.

Quote:

Have a lovely day! :

Hope you get the money today and are able to plan for a fabulous birthday on Friday
#148 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 01:19 PM

Mine is definitely not over. Car won't start. Again. I am starting to have a really bad feeling about this.

Todd took her in the work truck, and I'm going to drive it around this morning, because I haven't driven a stick shift since 2002.
#149 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Tiff Maybe he's scared to put too much hope into this and so is trying to make it seem like a waste from the start. People can be really weird and backwards when they're afraid.
Quote:

UGH!

Also, where is Jill lately?
I've been wondering about Jill too . . .

That does seem like alot of kiddos for 2 people to care for. I saw your next post too and I'm glad that she reached out to you to see how you are feeling.

Personally I am hoping that if I just stick my fingers in my ears and go "lalalalalalalalala" the whole preschool decision will just go away. So far so good. It's down to a faint whisper. Sounds like this hey! hey! preschool? preschool? hey! hey!

Quote:
hmm... I'd LOVE to see FotC with Cliff... Amelia will be almost 8 mos. I think we could get tickets, and then sell them if we have to. 8 mos is big separation anxiety time usually!

I just started baking a batch of almond cookies I made the dough for yesterday, and I suddenly realized I had accidentally doubled the butter. They're delicious. I'm going to adjust the ingredients for the rest of the dough when I make the rest, and then we will have almost twice the cookies!
Laura - I would love to have the almond cookie recipe. I love almond cookies. I want to make some that taste like th almond cookies you get a a particular chinese resturaunt in NY instead of fortunre cookies. They are moon shaped.
#150 of 1116 Old 02-04-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
Aww, that's so cute and sweet!

Candice, I hope your money appears today! Damn those check-holding policies. All Cliff's paychecks get held for two days now that Chase took over Wamu. :

Maddy fell flat on her face last night. Her nose bled a little and she's got a big fat lip. My poor baby. I held her for a long time, well after she went to sleep. She had fallen asleep on the couch, and fell off.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page