Lovin PDX in February - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Silly moms. Still chatting on the January thread. Here's to a good month and a victory for the Steelers
#2 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 05:29 PM

WTF? Back, February! BACK!

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#3 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 05:40 PM

Happy Birthday Laura!

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#4 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 05:44 PM

whats PDX again?
#5 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 05:47 PM

The airport code for Portland.

Back February Back? It's the first day Sara.. what do you mean back?
#6 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 05:48 PM

I think she is trying to tell it to back off.

#7 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 06:22 PM

:

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#8 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dani76 View Post
I think she is trying to tell it to back off.
Duh... I thought she was asking it to come back.
#9 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 06:44 PM

:
#10 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 06:49 PM

oh yeah... February!

We just came back from Tryon Creek State park. Man, that place is awesome! And so flippin' close to my house! I feel like a dork for never having gone before, but now we're gonna go at least once a month.
#11 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
oh yeah... February!

We just came back from Tryon Creek State park. Man, that place is awesome! And so flippin' close to my house! I feel like a dork for never having gone before, but now we're gonna go at least once a month.
We go there all the time. Elliott loves the bridges and creek. We should meet up some time for a hike. I also just found Marquam Nature park which was great last weekend except Macey was so grumpy. I can't wait to go back there.
#12 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldabee View Post
I have thought of this, but she's pretty direct, generally. I'm thinking maybe it's a more subtle incompatibility, with her being further along on the crunchiness/politically radical curve. You know...vibrations from my tv /Burgerville/allopathic pharmaceutical drugs are polluting the pure air of the home, ideologically and/or spiritually. Or something. I'm sort of making that up, but I think there's a grain of truth to it.

Speaking of allopathic pharmaceuticals, it's time for my dose of ABX. I'm going to feel icky for a few hours. What a way to ruin the buzz from a good dinner. Oh, and the steroids! They're keeping me up at night. But I shudder to think where I'd be without my zoloft and antihistamines and NSAIDs and albuterol. I'm a walking drug store. Ho hum.
Hey, though, everyone's needs are different, and we are all adults, so the choice is ours as to what we will use and what we won't in our daily lives.

Pneumonia is NOTHING to mess around with. It can cause damage, which is never good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarstella View Post
I'm all for the alternative treatments... but I've never been in the position of having to function through pneumonia to support myself and a child all on my own. Judging you over that is just plain unfair and ignorant. I really hope that isn't it.

And just remember... some day, she'll have a 5 year old who wants pizza all the time.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
pics of mad's hair here
Awww! This seems... awfully familiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
im so sick...I crawl out of bed to go to the bathroom and try to walk the dog here and there..although not for very long as I get chills and need to be laying down again.
My chest rattles everytime i cough...i don't know if I should go to urgent care or not....
This isn't the first time this season you've had this. Have you had x-rays done? Lung stuff SUCKS! I'm so sorry you have it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanurse View Post
Good memories. I, personally, think she makes a darn tootin cute pixie.

We have colds here at our place. Apparently the puking/runs of last weekend weren't enough. Ho hum.
Yeah, I think we are starting to get something here too. My sinuses and eyes are starting to get that burning feeling. Last night and this morning, I thought it was because we went to a party last night at a house with a long haired cat. But now I'm starting to think it's turning into a head cold.

I'm not slowed down yet though... and I have a surplus of broth. Making my roasted carrot soup for dinner tonight.

Quote:
today totally kicked my ass. first of all, I haven't gotten much sleep the past two nights, so I was already tired. second, cliff has been working non-stop for two days on moving his hosting to a new location, which is both physical moving and a lot of re-configuration, so I've gotten zero help with the kids or the house. I decided it would be fun to take the girls to breakfast this morning and it was all but a complete disaster, as Amelia cried in the restaurant, which was way too noisy anyway, and then Maddy cried and dragged her feet the whole way home--the hour and a half seven block walk home. Amelia actually fell asleep, woke up and cried, nursed some, went back to sleep, woke up and cried some more, and went back to sleep in the duration of the walk. Then I was just so tired and it seems Amelia never gets a true nap these days so I laid down with her and Maddy was getting into something but I figured whatever it was I could clean it up... I just wanted to nurse Amelia down. Turns out she was spilling permanent enamel paint on the floor, door, and some other stuff, that she had found in my unusable craft room that she had up until now ignored. Luckily it was still wet, but it had to be cleaned up immediately. She also peed all over the floor. I had to move a bunch of heavy stuff that Cliff had piled in there just to get the door closed. Then she went downstairs and pooped on her potty, the one success of the day. From there on out it was pee on the floor, another poop in the pants, another pee on the floor. I keep thinking of just putting her in diapers, and then when I'm about to buy some she turns around and does well so I don't, and then we have days like this again. Huge piles of laundry, Cliff's run out of pants, diaper service didn't bring enough this week, I can't walk in my freaking house with all these projects going on. I finally finished making dinner at around 9pm but by then I'd found other stuff to feed Maddy and I just wasn't hungry and Amelia needed to get to bed. I spent all my nursing time on facebook. I think I'm going to burn myself out on that within the week. And I'm nowhere near finishing knitting the sweater I'd wanted to finish for my birthday tomorrow. I'm not really expecting any fabulous birthday surprises. Cliff will be too tired and worried about our budget and it's probably too wet for a bonfire (anything that we would burn is too wet). So, like most days, I'll be surrounded by crying girls. They're beautiful and I love them but the constant crying from one or the other (mostly Maddy) or both is really getting to me.

All I really want for my birthday is Maddy's room finished so we can put all her stuff in there. This would get the boxes of bed parts out of the hallway and kitchen, most of the toys out of the livingroom, and all her stuff out of the craft room. I'm about ready to hire a babysitter and do it myself.

/end vent
Oh Laura, that sounds like a HIDEOUSLY bad day! I hope today is better for you!

and...

:Happy Birthday!:

Quote:
I totally missed that earlier, it made me laugh out loud.

I'm so sorry you had a rough day...the men in the white coats would have had to come get me after that.
Yeah, me too. I was having a bit of a time yesterday with some volunteer work I was doing, but then had a nice, centering talk with my friend Deb. I her. Made me feel so much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
I truly admire people with multiple children that are young, like babies. When at work, I think that it would be hard for me to have another child.....even if I was with someone. Working lately has reminded me how much work babies really are.
Then they do something really cute and I can't help but want another child someday.....
Yeah, there are definitely bad days, but all in all the sweetness outweighs the crap.

Quote:
I should have shared this earlier... Cliff got these vitamins, Super Bio-Vegetarian, from the naturopath that he takes whenever Maddy is getting sick. Before he got those things he was guaranteed to get sick whenever she did. The vitamins have really helped, decreasing the amount of times or the severity of getting sick. Since I hate when he gets sick, I push those vitamins on him! They're expensivish ($27 for 90 tb) but they aren't a daily, so I think they are worth it. I don't where you can find them other than Northwest Naturopathic Clinic... but they do have all the supplements up front and they do sell to non-patients. No good deals there, unfortunately. I'll probably shop around next time we need a new bottle. I t hink I can take them now... Dr. Bailey said they weren't good for pregnant women because of some ingredient.
Very cool! I'm going to be Neti-Potting it today, and hopefully that will help. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
yeah that

sorry you had a **&&&y day yesterday. i know that feeling when you can hear something going on and just can't get to it and pray the damage isn't too awfully horrible. and sometimes it is! i hope your birthday today is a LOT better!!! happy birthday :

the pixie cut is adorable! my mom went on a geology field trip when i was about 3 and my grandma came to stay with me. i asked for scissors for paper dolls and cut my bangs off right at my forehead (not cute). i also cut the hair off my mom's betsy mccall dolls. bad news

i love the horse brass. hope you had fun

we had the puke bug about a month ago. ebin only barfed once but then had the runs for a week until i finally gave him a teensy bit of pepto to get his system back on track. it worked but i don't recommend it (reyes syndrome risk).

doug and i are both sick now from a sore throat/cold. we won't be going to the superbowl party we were planning on and i'm bummed. i like the food and friends...don't care about the game.
I love the horse brass too! What's it like there now that the smoking policy has kicked in? I want to try it again. I had to be between asthma flares to even consider going to that place before though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
Poor Chase. He isn't throwing up anymore, but sure looks like he wants to from time to time. And he's so LISTLESS. Just lays there, no talking, not interested in food (but lots of nursing) and is now down for his second nap of the day. It sucks to see him like this. No fever, thank goodness, so we are just waiting it out for now.
I hope he feels better really soon. Poor little guy!

Lee, That park is AMAZINGLY beautiful, isn't it??? Sometimes I drive past it on my way back from Lake Oswego, just to visit, even if I don't have time to stop.
#13 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Duh... I thought she was asking it to come back.
Well....you asked.

#14 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 07:34 PM

Drive by posting from work. Ugh.

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LAURA!

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#15 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InochiZo View Post
We go there all the time. Elliott loves the bridges and creek. We should meet up some time for a hike. I also just found Marquam Nature park which was great last weekend except Macey was so grumpy. I can't wait to go back there.
Ooh, would LOVE to meet up with you some time! Can you access my text # on the google spreadsheet? And I'd love to try Marquam too. Not sure where it is, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedy B. View Post
Making my roasted carrot soup for dinner tonight.

Lee, That park is AMAZINGLY beautiful, isn't it??? Sometimes I drive past it on my way back from Lake Oswego, just to visit, even if I don't have time to stop.

and yes, it was so beautiful. I took pictures, and am pleased with how some of them turned out. Will post on blog tomorrow.
#16 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 07:39 PM

Happy Birthday Laura!!! :

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
#17 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 08:38 PM

Thanks for all the birthday wishes, ladies! I love you all!

I had a fabulous lunch at Dan & Louis' Oyster Bar. I love good seafood. And a nice Riesling. Went with the family and my dad and sister. And they gave me free cheesecake for my birthday!

I got $45... what should I spend it on? A babysitter?

I used to go to Tryon all the time as a kid. I need to take Maddy there!

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#18 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 08:50 PM

I only need to find a way to waste the next 4 hours and then we're off to have a baby. What do you do with 4 hours when you're supposed to be sitting or laying down? I'm so bored and Jim is watching the Superbowl. Sigh.
#19 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 09:01 PM

Yeah Hedy, this is the second time....it started the weekend after Christmas and lasted almost 3 weeks..went away and about Tuesday this week I started feeling sick again, just cold symptoms...Wed and Thurs still coldish, but getting worse and Friday it hit...by night time it hit hard.
Yesterday was miserable and today is even worse. I can't keep any food down, can't stop coughing, fever with chills, stuffed up 1/2 the time...I can't even keep fluids down..so if I am still this way in the AM I think i'll head to my doc, if not I may go to urgent care tonight.....poor campbell can't breathe and her nose is a runny faucet, you'd think with how much its running she wouldn't be so plugged up.
I did however manage to make it to the store today to buy some more Vicks medicine to put into the vaporizer as we ran out Friday night and last night was miserable..I literally slept from 4am-7am.
Why is it that a store couldn't manage to have a line available for people who ARE not buying a ton of junk for a football game? serious...I waited 25 minutes at Fred Meyer's just to buy some cough drops and the vicks medicine....every.single.line.was.packed. OH and I thought that stuff about people fighting over the last of something was a rumor....people were fighting over LAST bags of chips and other stuff....STUPID.

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#20 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 09:27 PM

Lydia, I'm thinking of you.

I've had two naps today, and I feel like I could have another. Wonder how it will be going to work tomorrow?
#21 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Ooh, would LOVE to meet up with you some time! Can you access my text # on the google spreadsheet? And I'd love to try Marquam too. Not sure where it is, though.

and yes, it was so beautiful. I took pictures, and am pleased with how some of them turned out. Will post on blog tomorrow.
Yeah, I have access to the phone list, Lee. Marquam is on the way up to OHSU. http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/...am+Nature+Park

I drove right by it the 1st time because on the map it looks like you drive past OHSU but it is actually straight before you take the 1st big turn up to the hill. It was beautiful in the snow.
#22 of 1116 Old 02-01-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Lydia, I'm thinking of you.
:
it's a good day to be born

#23 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 12:17 AM

Happy Birthing Lydia!

So I have a question. about 12 years ago I had this friend. She was in Toronto area and we talked online a lot. She came and visited me several times. This friend was an emotional wreck. I was always on the phone talking her out of killing herself. She was addicited to pain meds, but you know I was going to help her through it. DH and I got married and she get upset I didn't invite her. She lived on the her side of the continent and we got married at city hall. DH didn't even invite his parents. The only reason my parents were invited was because they were taking Amanda to their house for a week. It never occurred to me to invite her... but she got upset. As time passed she was always in trouble. Supposidly she was raped.. a couple times in this time period. she was always talking about killing herself.. I was always on the phone til rediculous hours of the time helping her when I really needed to sleep so I could be with my family. At some point she started dating and became engaged to DH's friend. But she really treated him like crap. She would come visit and want to spend her time with me not him. She also told a lot of lies to her family about him. Since I knew this finance/bf i knew she was lying. It made me question all the stories she told me about her other BF's being abusing to her. Fraug was NOT abusing her like she said. She got mad cause I couldn't talk to her on the phone cause I had to go pick up DH. I told her one day ahead of time we had an appointment with the mortgage broker and she called me during the appointment. I answered, told her I would call her back later and hung up. She called right back I turned off my phone. By the time we got out of the appointment I had about 15 msgs from her yelling at me for hanging up on her. She was jealous of my husband, she was jealous of my kids... and I felt she was sucking the life right out of me. At this point we had been friends for about 5 years. I finally cut her out of my life in June of 2002. One night in October she called me over and over again for hours leaving a bunch of stupid msgs that made no sense. I refused to talk to her. I figured it was her finally hitting bottom and she needed to find someone close to her to pick her back up. I couldn't do it, I was done.

A few weeks ago DH found an ICQ message from her asking how to get a hold of me. We ignored it. Tonight I found a facebook message saying hi and hoping my family is doing well. My instinct is to add her to ignore. DH thinks I should reconcile with her. She has come out of the closet since I last talked to her and going to school to be a social worker. But.. she took too much energy. I really don't think I want to take the chance of her pulling me back into her crazy world. I have enough craziness in my life.. I don't need someone elses drama.

So.. would you just add her to ignore? I really don't know why DH feels I should "reconcile" with her.
#24 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 12:46 AM

Dooods....February??!?!?!?! Where did THAT come from??

Chase is feeling - or at least acting - like himself again And I got a ton of : done today :

I wanna go on a nature hike! I wonder how Chase would do. I guess I could bring a carrier...I need to get out and do more physical things. This cold winter is really wearing on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
I only need to find a way to waste the next 4 hours and then we're off to have a baby. What do you do with 4 hours when you're supposed to be sitting or laying down? I'm so bored and Jim is watching the Superbowl. Sigh.
Squee! you're leaving soon...the best of luck! I hope you have a great birth and a healthy baby and I can't wait to hear all about it

Quote:
So I have a question. about 12 years ago I had this friend.

So.. would you just add her to ignore? I really don't know why DH feels I should "reconcile" with her.
Ugh. This is a hard call, but from what you described, I'd say NO WAY. Personally, I would not want any more negative people in my life, nor would I (nor you, it seems) want to have to deal with anyone who demands I place them above my family.

Can you ask DH why he thinks you should reconcile with her? I wonder what his reasoning is...

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#25 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 12:57 AM

Tina, i would stay far away from her iiwy.
Beth and Ericka, sorry you are both still not feeling well.
i am starting to think that niamh wasnt actually SICK, but that i gave her food poisoning.
its just too much of a coincidence that she started puking after having milk from lact-Aid #2, and then after she got MUCH better, and was even asking for food, and was running around playing. then we napped with lact-Aid #2, and she woke up puking her guts out again.
i think the milk in that lact-Aid was bad. it smelled a lil funky when i smelled it after she puked. it didnt smell ABD, but it smelled a little off. i just chucked the rest of that thawed bag of milk. and now i worry about the rest of the milk in my freezer. which isnt much, cause we havent had any pickups or contact with any of our local sometimes donors, and we are just using milk V left us at xmas time.
so lact-Aids are getting filled with hemp and cow milks mixed.
poor kiddo.
she is just fine today. feeling well, and playing like normal.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#26 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Happy Birthday Laura! It sounds like you had a great birthday lunch today.

Waiting to hear from Lydia.... She had a great bishop score going in. I'm hoping it's smooth and fast for her.

I got great news from my insurance company today (well I opened the mail tonight that came last week)....

We get to see Dr Joel. I'm going to call his office tomorrow at work if I have time so I can schedule Hazel's WBV with him. I'm super excited. We're so over BMC.

Back to work tomorrow morning....
#27 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 02:20 AM

what's a bishop score?

eta: oh, found it on wikipedia... go lydia go! :

#28 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Happy Birthing Lydia!

So I have a question. about 12 years ago I had this friend. She was in Toronto area and we talked online a lot. She came and visited me several times. This friend was an emotional wreck. I was always on the phone talking her out of killing herself. She was addicited to pain meds, but you know I was going to help her through it. DH and I got married and she get upset I didn't invite her. She lived on the her side of the continent and we got married at city hall. DH didn't even invite his parents. The only reason my parents were invited was because they were taking Amanda to their house for a week. It never occurred to me to invite her... but she got upset. As time passed she was always in trouble. Supposidly she was raped.. a couple times in this time period. she was always talking about killing herself.. I was always on the phone til rediculous hours of the time helping her when I really needed to sleep so I could be with my family. At some point she started dating and became engaged to DH's friend. But she really treated him like crap. She would come visit and want to spend her time with me not him. She also told a lot of lies to her family about him. Since I knew this finance/bf i knew she was lying. It made me question all the stories she told me about her other BF's being abusing to her. Fraug was NOT abusing her like she said. She got mad cause I couldn't talk to her on the phone cause I had to go pick up DH. I told her one day ahead of time we had an appointment with the mortgage broker and she called me during the appointment. I answered, told her I would call her back later and hung up. She called right back I turned off my phone. By the time we got out of the appointment I had about 15 msgs from her yelling at me for hanging up on her. She was jealous of my husband, she was jealous of my kids... and I felt she was sucking the life right out of me. At this point we had been friends for about 5 years. I finally cut her out of my life in June of 2002. One night in October she called me over and over again for hours leaving a bunch of stupid msgs that made no sense. I refused to talk to her. I figured it was her finally hitting bottom and she needed to find someone close to her to pick her back up. I couldn't do it, I was done.

A few weeks ago DH found an ICQ message from her asking how to get a hold of me. We ignored it. Tonight I found a facebook message saying hi and hoping my family is doing well. My instinct is to add her to ignore. DH thinks I should reconcile with her. She has come out of the closet since I last talked to her and going to school to be a social worker. But.. she took too much energy. I really don't think I want to take the chance of her pulling me back into her crazy world. I have enough craziness in my life.. I don't need someone elses drama.

I had a friend like that too, and it was IMPOSSIBLE to deal with her. She was an alcoholic, and had really bad PPD. She was on a couple of different types of meds, but definitely shouldn't have been drinking heavily on top of them. My phone rang once while I was at a party, and she wanted me to talk to her until she died. She was going to go into the garage and turn the car on. I spent the next 45 minutes in the bathroom on my cell phone talking her out of it.

I tried to put up with it for a little longer, but I just couldn't. She actually called my cell the night Ruby was born and Todd had to hang up on her because she kept DEMANDING, very drunkenly, to talk to me. He was smart and turned my phone off.

She tried to call a few times after that, and said that she wanted to be sensitive to my not being able to take calls with a new baby after that. I haven't heard from her in quite a while now. Every once in a while I want to call her to see how she's doing, but I worry about the can of worms that might open. It's too bad, because we were good friends before that started.
#29 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 03:45 AM

I chopped off my hair.. and colored it.. Just a lighter brown.. more golden. And the hairdresser cut it a bit shorter than I wanted. I said 1,2" below my shoulders.. and she cut it at shoulder length. It's growing on me though.

As for my xfriend. I don't know why DH wants me to reconcile with her. I think he thinks that if you are friends for "that long" you should give a person another chance. He keeps telling me that people change. However, I don't want to chance it. I felt like she was a leach sucking the life right out of me. So bye bye.
#30 of 1116 Old 02-02-2009, 03:49 AM

Oh yea.. and DH couldn't tell I cut my hair. I was like. I HAD 6" CUT OFF!! His answer? "At least it was a $6.99 haircut. I would be annoyed if you paid $20 and I couldn't tell."

Today was the last day of Great Clips $6.99 sale. I didn't even tell DH before I went...I decided to go about an hour before they closed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page