Showing the love in PDX eastside. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 02-01-2009, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We tried to start up our own thread a few times last year, but it never really caught on. I want to try it again. Come on if the westside can do it, we can too.
My name is Alisha. I am a SAHM and homeschooler to my three wonderful boys. We live in fairview, and my DH commutes to Hillsboro to work at Intel.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 38 Old 02-01-2009, 07:40 PM

moved out to 162nd but still on the eastside

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
#3 of 38 Old 02-04-2009, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Wow does no one else want to join frogger and me on the eastside chat.

Maybe if I ask questions it will give people something to talk about.
1. Has anyone used a pediatric dentist named Dr. Lee? She was one of the few that our insurance listed in their list of names.

2. Can anyone recommend a good non/delayed vax and intact friendly Naturopath or pediatrician on the eastside? We have a long list of doctors who take our insurance, but really do not know anything about any of them. If it helps to know we have anthem blue cross. We already know we are not covered by the Natural Childbirth & Family Clinic that several people have said they liked.
Thank you to anyone who can throw out ideas.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#4 of 38 Old 02-04-2009, 04:29 PM

1. I drive out to see Dr. Pike.
before scheduling an apt. see if you can sched. a visit. just to see how things are.
2. I drive to sellwood for the kids to see monique prichard.

probably not helpful huh.

#5 of 38 Old 02-04-2009, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.
I have heard that a lot of people like Dr Pike, but he is not listed on my approved dentist list. I may call and talk with his office if I don't like Dr. Lee, we are meeting next monday.

#6 of 38 Old 02-05-2009, 01:17 PM

Hi! We're on the eastside too

We live near NE 59th and Fremont. I'm a stay at home mama to our 2.5 year old son and 6 month old daughter. I'm open to unschooling but also am considering the outdoor preschool (Fairy Garden) at the Farm for my son soon. I try to incorporate unconditional parenting into our lifestyle. I love to take walks, sew, watch Law & Order, Lost, and Oprah. We don't have a lot going on during the week and would love to meet up with other kids and mamas.

Happy February!

-Jeni
#7 of 38 Old 02-05-2009, 09:18 PM

Hi there,

I think my kids see Dr. Lee - is she out on Division? It used to be Dr. Frick's office (he was a total a$$hole) but now that Dr. Lee took over it's much better. They've only seen her once, though. (Reminds me, I need to make them an appt.)

DS:15 DD:12 DS:7 DS:5
Surrogate baby born: 9/17/12
Surrogate baby due: 12/14/14
#8 of 38 Old 02-06-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancoda View Post
i think the eastside is already in the big thread... but for me in inner NE near NoPo, everyone is SE or outer NE, so westside or vancouver is actually closer!
#9 of 38 Old 02-06-2009, 03:14 AM

I am glad to see another attempt at an Eastside thread. I have made a couple of attempts at a thread last year to find that it doesn't seem to last...BOOOOO!!! But I have faith that us east siders can make it happen.

I am a WOHM to our 2.5 year old son living at 23rd and Prescott. I am off on Mondays and have been looking to find a play group of some sort for my son...and myself for that matter. I don't know many people in these parts. Jeni (I think) you have a child the same age, are you game?

I love to sew, take walks, hikes...well, just about anything outside, play and listen music...I play the flute and want to resume learning how to play my guitar. I have spending an enormous time, as of late, trying to find cheap way to eat organically...any tips, websites would be welcome information. It has gotten ridiculous and now that I have gone down the organic road, I can't seem to turn back.

Come on East siders! Keep it up!
#10 of 38 Old 02-06-2009, 03:15 AM

We live in close in SE, Brooklyn, to be more precise. I like going anywhere on buslines 9, 17, 19, or 70!

I have a 2.5 yr old daughter, and a 4.5 month old daughter.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#11 of 38 Old 02-06-2009, 03:21 AM

Quote:

1. Has anyone used a pediatric dentist named Dr. Lee? She was one of the few that our insurance listed in their list of names.

2. Can anyone recommend a good non/delayed vax and intact friendly Naturopath or pediatrician on the eastside? We have a long list of doctors who take our insurance, but really do not know anything about any of them. If it helps to know we have anthem blue cross. We already know we are not covered by the Natural Childbirth & Family Clinic that several people have said they liked.
I meant to mention that we love Dr. Susan Allen, ND out of Triangolo Family Clinic at 26th and NE Glisan. I have been seeing her for years and now so do our son and DH.

Our pediatrician is great as well. Dr. Hilary Basco out of Broadway Medical Clinic. She has been super supportive of all of our decisions and our son loves her.

Good luck. We are in the same boat to a certain extent because our insurance has switched to a Kaiser plan but it has mulitiple tiers so we are still able to see Dr.s outside of Kaiser but at a s/w higher cost...but no more than our past PPO. But we need a Kaiser Dr. to have on hand for referrals and such since our son needs a surgery and because it would be cost prohibitive to see someone outside of Kaiser, I have to jump through the insurance hoops to get his surgery covered for far less $$....Blah. The funny part is that because Kaiser has very few to no Ped Urologists, we will likely be referred to a Dr. that we were already referred to through our regular ped but because she isn't a Kaiser ped, the insurance won't cover it. How ridiculous is that!
#12 of 38 Old 02-06-2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandmama View Post
I don't know many people in these parts. Jeni (I think) you have a child the same age, are you game?
I am TOTALLY game! I also really want to learn to play guitar. I bought one for my husband (he wants to learn too) and I keep looking at it thinking it would be so cool if I could actually play it. I know how to play piano and cello. We should get together!
#13 of 38 Old 02-06-2009, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni_Houston View Post
I am TOTALLY game! I also really want to learn to play guitar. I bought one for my husband (he wants to learn too) and I keep looking at it thinking it would be so cool if I could actually play it. I know how to play piano and cello. We should get together!
Right On! Mondays are the best days as I work Tu-Fri. So if you are available name your Monday and meeting spot and we are there! I would love to meet you and it would be so great to have Elias have a chance to play with another little boy his age in this neck of the woods. You can either contact me here or I am happy to PM you my contact information and we can go from there.
#14 of 38 Old 02-06-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Wow, I just saw this thread. Lents area.

We see Dr. Steven Davis at East Portland Ped. Clinic. He's been pretty good. They are next to Adventist so still not that close to you.
#15 of 38 Old 02-08-2009, 02:51 AM

Hi -
we're eastside, mall 205/gateway-ish. With those who aren't familiar w/outer SE I say we live in "montavilla heights."

We see Dr. Krista Badger for our pedatric dentistry.

We drive to Sellwood to see our pediatrician, Dr. Monique Pritchard. She's been our ped since our first was born and we like her a lot. And her nurse, Sue, is awesome! They're a good team.
#16 of 38 Old 02-08-2009, 03:07 AM

Hey, I'm east side now. I'm in SE near Mt Scott Park. The last time there was an east side thread, I crashed it. Now I'm legit.
#17 of 38 Old 02-08-2009, 02:35 PM

I am having a craft day at my place today at 1pm without kids. Mostly because I'll have the beads out which are not kid friendly. I make this a monthly thing. PM if your interested in coming another time and I'll give you the details.
#18 of 38 Old 02-08-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarstella View Post
We live in close in SE, Brooklyn, to be more precise. I like going anywhere on buslines 9, 17, 19, or 70!

I have a 2.5 yr old daughter, and a 4.5 month old daughter.

I'm in Brooklyn too! We've actually only been in Portland for about a month, and I plan to join the PDX tribe, but the big thread is so intimidating! My ds turned 3 in November.
#19 of 38 Old 02-10-2009, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Well my oldest son went to Doctor Lee today, and it seemed to go good. So I guess we will stick with her for a while.
Thanks to everyone who has made suggestions for a health care provider, we are still researching it out.

#20 of 38 Old 02-10-2009, 07:37 PM

Hey, we just moved to Portland a little over a month ago. We're on the eastside -- close-in, Clinton-Division area (I don't know how else to describe it). I have a 16-month old daughter who is starved for interaction with other children. Is anybody with little ones that age interested in making a playgroup? I see some posts by folks with two and a half year olds, but I'm looking for babes a little younger than that.
#21 of 38 Old 02-10-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingermama View Post
Hey, we just moved to Portland a little over a month ago. We're on the eastside -- close-in, Clinton-Division area (I don't know how else to describe it). I have a 16-month old daughter who is starved for interaction with other children. Is anybody with little ones that age interested in making a playgroup? I see some posts by folks with two and a half year olds, but I'm looking for babes a little younger than that.

Sorry, I only have a nearly 3 and 5 yr here, so I am no help with the social interactions with kiddos.
#22 of 38 Old 02-11-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InochiZo View Post

Sorry, I only have a nearly 3 and 5 yr here, so I am no help with the social interactions with kiddos.

i can't think of anyone on here with a child that age, but ask in the big tribe, someone may have grown to that age there were totally tons of babies last year.

i'm also in the 4yo group, would LOVE more social ideas- the kid is just dying for it, but alas, only after preschool hours. and prob. not all the way in outer SE
#23 of 38 Old 02-11-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottiew View Post
i can't think of anyone on here with a child that age, but ask in the big tribe, someone may have grown to that age there were totally tons of babies last year.

i'm also in the 4yo group, would LOVE more social ideas- the kid is just dying for it, but alas, only after preschool hours. and prob. not all the way in outer SE
You're a working Mama. Do you want to get together on weekends or is that a family time? We love to go hiking and do fun stuff on the weekends.
#24 of 38 Old 02-13-2009, 02:36 AM

Hello mama's! I'm Melissa and I am mama to Maddy (3) and Karis (14 months). We live wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy out on the Eastside in Gresham... I feel so far away from all the action most times. I'd love to go to crafty days, sometimes my hubs is home so maybe I can pick up the next one. I am up for playdates and fun with other families, especially craving outdoor time at Powell Butte and Oxbow when the sun comes out to play. Our local La Leche League group has started meeting at a local cafe for coffee dates, the coffee shop is the friendliest I have found in Gresham, so it will do for now, please let me know if you'd like to join us, it looks to be a weekly thing (you don't have to be nursing to come, ha ha). I hope to meet some of you soon!
#25 of 38 Old 02-13-2009, 11:37 AM

Melissa, can I ask what coffee shop? and when do you meet?

I take ds to school off of hillyard and on fridays another mom from the school and I go out to coffee and then to the indoor playpark at the church on hillyard. (same building as school)

#26 of 38 Old 02-13-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissazollner View Post
Hello mama's! I'm Melissa and I am mama to Maddy (3) and Karis (14 months). We live wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy out on the Eastside in Gresham... I feel so far away from all the action most times. I'd love to go to crafty days, sometimes my hubs is home so maybe I can pick up the next one. I am up for playdates and fun with other families, especially craving outdoor time at Powell Butte and Oxbow when the sun comes out to play. Our local La Leche League group has started meeting at a local cafe for coffee dates, the coffee shop is the friendliest I have found in Gresham, so it will do for now, please let me know if you'd like to join us, it looks to be a weekly thing (you don't have to be nursing to come, ha ha). I hope to meet some of you soon!
I am out here on the far eastside with you. So I know how you feel about not really being able to get together with other people, even from this list. What coffee shop do you meet at? Is it ok to bring my whole crew? I have my 1 year old who does nurse, my 3 yr old, and my 7 yr old. That is the other problem I run into a lot, that there are so few activities/places that all of my kids are welcome in.

#27 of 38 Old 02-13-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
You're a working Mama. Do you want to get together on weekends or is that a family time? We love to go hiking and do fun stuff on the weekends.
some of both, cause hubby really also needs his own time on wknds to do things that he doesn't get done during the wek. im up for wknd stuff, and now have a non-napper. i just can't hike at the moment
#28 of 38 Old 02-13-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottiew View Post
some of both, cause hubby really also needs his own time on wknds to do things that he doesn't get done during the wek. im up for wknd stuff, and now have a non-napper. i just can't hike at the moment
Oh yeah, I hope your leg is better soon.
#29 of 38 Old 02-18-2009, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone here use Organics to you or some other organic food delivery service? I am have been trying for a little while now to convince my DH that we can afford to do it.
Also has anyone been to Twelve Mile Market in gresham. As a compromise I am trying to find local grown preferably organic fruits and veggies that are availible in the winter. Is there selection and quality any good? I just found it searching around on local harvest.

#30 of 38 Old 02-19-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I hope your leg is better soon.
they just don't know what's causing it, so they say it will go away 'eventually'... but they can't DO anything luckily, kiddo has new bicycle, and a daddy who hangs out with him for hours riding in the basement.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page