PDX in March - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2009, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So is there a people's co op on Alberta now then? That was fast, seems like they were just talking about a new store...

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
does anyone have a link to the info regarding CPSIA and consignment clothing? Does it effect consignment stores?

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
Old 03-12-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
does anyone have a link to the info regarding CPSIA and consignment clothing? Does it effect consignment stores?
yes and there is a facebook group. check it in my groups.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:30 AM

oh, whoops, my People's is the one off Powell!

Those who eat eggplant... what's your fave way to make it? I'm not into baba ganoush or eggplant parmesan. I know I've had eggplant before and liked it... I just don't remember what it was. I found some recipes for dips, casseroles, and just baking slices with toppings. Opinions?

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
Old 03-12-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarstella View Post

Those who eat eggplant... what's your fave way to make it? I'm not into baba ganoush or eggplant parmesan. I know I've had eggplant before and liked it... I just don't remember what it was. I found some recipes for dips, casseroles, and just baking slices with toppings. Opinions?
The only times I've made it I've just roasted in in the oven with olive oil and salt, and then either used it as a pizza topping, pasta sauce addition, or sandwich ingredient along with other roasted vegetables. I love roasted peppers and roasted eggplant with carmalized onions on a bun with dijon and balsamic vinegar.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:23 AM

Quote:

Caponata, use it in a lasagna instead of noodles (roast it first), stuffed, in a baguette sandwich with brie (roasted), and sometimes I make a big thing of rotini with a sauce made with tomatoes, capers, artichoke hearts, eggplant and whatever other veggies I feel like.

Can you tell I love eggplant? If you're finding the taste too bitter, one old school trick is to cut the eggplants into a dice or slices, cover the pieces in a TON of salt and let it sit in a colander for a couple hours. It removed a lot of the juices which can be bitter. Then rinse it very thoroughly and proceed with the rest of the recipe.

How can you not be into eggplant parm or baba ganoush??????????? When I go to the east coast, I always get an eggplant parm sub. Yummmmmmm...

Good luck with the eggplant!
Old 03-12-2009, 04:29 AM

That college I went to for one term... well, I was a vegetarian at the time, and the only veggie dish the cooks made in the cafeteria was eggplant parmesan. At first I thought it was so good! I thought it was an indication of more yumminess to come. But nope, it was eggplant parm all the time, and now I never want another eggplant parmesan as long as I live. Or at least for another decade.

And baba ganoush... it's possible I've just never had it done right.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
That college I went to for one term... well, I was a vegetarian at the time, and the only veggie dish the cooks made in the cafeteria was eggplant parmesan. At first I thought it was so good! I thought it was an indication of more yumminess to come. But nope, it was eggplant parm all the time, and now I never want another eggplant parmesan as long as I live. Or at least for another decade.

i LOVE roasted eggplant sandwhiches - my favorite combo:

toasted whole grain bread with mayo, avocado, sliced red or sweet maui onion, tomato, ortega green chiles (canned), and roasted (or quickly microwaved!) slices of eggplant. soooo good.

another favorite is japanese teriyaki or miso eggplant. it can be cut in chunks and pan cooked or broiled, or sliced in half and scored so the sauce can soak in and covered in sauce and baked in a covered dish. the sauce is either just teriyaki sauce (home made or jarred) or a mixture of fresh (or jarred) ginger, while miso paste, mirin (sweet rice cooking wine), maybe some soy sauce, and honey....i don't really use a recipe...but it bakes to a mushy melty goodness and the sauce is all glazed and sweet!
Old 03-12-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
So is there a people's co op on Alberta now then? That was fast, seems like they were just talking about a new store...
The Peoples Yoga not the Grocery co-op. The only People's store is still between Clinton and Powell. There is another Grocery co-op in Alberta though.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:39 AM

Eggplant I'm not a big fan of portabello mushrooms, either. Just two of the reasons I state for never becoming a vegetarian

Anyone doing anything today?
We've got the car, and I'd love to spend some time outside in this sunshine, but not if the wind keeps up : I guess it's supposed to warm up later today...Also, Chase had a slight : yesterday. He seems fine today, but I don't want to expose him to much right now. Which probably means staying home Or maybe doing errands...

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
Old 03-12-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Ratatouille! Only way I like eggplant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
Eggplant I'm not a big fan of portabello mushrooms, either. Just two of the reasons I state for never becoming a vegetarian
Well I don't like eggplant or portabello mushrooms but I'm vegetarian anyway , there's just so much other good stuff
Old 03-12-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Ratatouille so so yummy. I used to make it all the time. I think it needs to go back on rotation.
BTW, dorm life ruined pesto for me for YEARS because it was the only veg option most nights. blech!

I woke up feeling like complete crap this morning. fun. Ruby had more snot but less cough, so i think we'll be home bound today. bummer with the sun being out and all. If it's less windy we'll go for some walks.

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:02 PM

Woo! I feel awesome today. Still not 100%, but so much better that I'll take it. YAYAY!

Old 03-12-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Well I don't like eggplant or portabello mushrooms but I'm vegetarian anyway , there's just so much other good stuff
I know. It's just an excuse, really. The real reason I don't become veg is that I just like meat too much

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
Old 03-12-2009, 01:35 PM

This is a timely conversation. I need to find something to do with the eggplant I got from Organics to you. I have only ever had it fried.. and I try not to fry food if I don't have to.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:57 PM

We need to get out of the house for a bit to let Cliff sleep... he was up until 6:30AM working on stuff. It's his own damn fault he didn't sleep, but I'm nice enough to see the need to get out of the house.

Coffee shop? Breakfast? Anyone?

Old 03-12-2009, 04:09 PM

I'm glad no one responded... I wandered off and painted Maddy's room instead. Got the edges painted in at least, so it's rollers from here. But Amelia got fussy so now she's doing her nurse/nap. I'm hoping to get the first coat done today on Maddy's room, and it'll probably only need two coats. OMG I might actually be able to move stuff in there this weekend! :

Old 03-12-2009, 04:36 PM

How can anyone not love portabello mushrooms. My mom hates all mushrooms. So bizarre. She says they are like eating slugs. Once I ate a sea cucumber in some very authentic Chinese soup. THAT is like eating slugs. And they taste like the bottom of a pond. I wonder if I'll get an eggplant in my Org 2 You box today. I still have my head of cabbage from 2 weeks ago to figure out what to do with. Amazingly, it is fine aside from the wilty outside leaves.

Daylight savings time combined with newly homeschooling has completely weirded out our schedule. Bedtime isn't happening until 10:30 at best. My girls just woke up...at 11:15. Tonight is going to be a late late night. Good thing I'm going to my sister's for dinner by myself and leaving DH to deal with it. I'm so evil. Although, they'll probably still be up when I come home. I tried to wake them up at 10:00, but it didn't happen. They were all snuggled up together so cute. Instead of being productive, I caught up on Big Love and L Word. Now I think we'll go outside and turn the compost and see if we can weave some learning into it. :
Old 03-12-2009, 05:53 PM

I hate all mushrooms too. So.. not so weird. DH used to hate them..but now will eat certain ones.. but he doenst like portabella mushrooms.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
there's a co-op on alberta that isn't people's... seems odd to have two?

So, yestserday, I had a park playdate. Kieran says 'ok', we drive, we park, he is happy. Refuses to go into the playground. Too cold. Won't even LOOK at it. Needs to go home. I have to apologize to the gal I was meeting. Then, he wants to fraking bicycle @ home! I try I try to have these playdates, and he foils my plans to have companionship! If it's not naps, it's just his personality I guess I will juts stay home by my lonesome today...

BTW, my foot is almost better now. But I'm on permanent meds.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottiew View Post
there's a co-op on alberta that isn't people's... seems odd to have two?

So, yestserday, I had a park playdate. Kieran says 'ok', we drive, we park, he is happy. Refuses to go into the playground. Too cold. Won't even LOOK at it. Needs to go home. I have to apologize to the gal I was meeting. Then, he wants to fraking bicycle @ home! I try I try to have these playdates, and he foils my plans to have companionship! If it's not naps, it's just his personality I guess I will juts stay home by my lonesome today...

BTW, my foot is almost better now. But I'm on permanent meds.
Have playdates at your house then.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:16 PM

I went to Walgreen to get a script for Amanda. I was walking down the coloring isle as i was leaving an noticed a bunch of crayola stuff on major sale. Like 64 packs of colored pinciles for 2.59 from 7.99 and markers for 3.50 from 9.99. So I bought all of them. :P (there were maybe 6 or 7 total) 8 packs of markers for $1. 2 packs of snoopy toothbrushes for 49 cents each. regular oral b cross action brushes for 1.19. They were with all the other stuff just on clearance. I think i will go in there every payday to see what is on clearance.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:20 PM

Hey savvy techie ladies! Can I sync my Google, Outlook, and Blackberry calendars?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyRev View Post
How can anyone not love portabello mushrooms. My mom hates all mushrooms. So bizarre. She says they are like eating slugs. Once I ate a sea cucumber in some very authentic Chinese soup. THAT is like eating slugs. And they taste like the bottom of a pond. I wonder if I'll get an eggplant in my Org 2 You box today. I still have my head of cabbage from 2 weeks ago to figure out what to do with. Amazingly, it is fine aside from the wilty outside leaves.

Daylight savings time combined with newly homeschooling has completely weirded out our schedule. Bedtime isn't happening until 10:30 at best. My girls just woke up...at 11:15. Tonight is going to be a late late night. Good thing I'm going to my sister's for dinner by myself and leaving DH to deal with it. I'm so evil. Although, they'll probably still be up when I come home. I tried to wake them up at 10:00, but it didn't happen. They were all snuggled up together so cute. Instead of being productive, I caught up on Big Love and L Word. Now I think we'll go outside and turn the compost and see if we can weave some learning into it. :
Nadine - my dad hates all mushrooms too. I think it's a texture thing.
I just wanted to tell you that I am excited that you are homeschooling and looking forward to hearing more about your adventures in learning
Old 03-12-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
Hey savvy techie ladies! Can I sync my Google, Outlook, and Blackberry calendars?
DH said to sync your google calender with your blackberry, and then your blackberry with outlook.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Welcome Back Savannah!
thanks mama:

Liam is still sick so it has been a hard landing and I have so much work this week...trying to stay focused and still care for him.
On the college note (I skimmed) Caleb is planning to to to Culinary Institute (hopefully in NYC) and at 30 grand per year, we can pitch in but not pay. He is going to work part-time as well and take out a student loan. He is also applying for several scholarships. In his favor, he has two sets of parents so he will have double the parental support! It is stressful to have a kid going to college while i am still paying off my own student loans! I went through college and grad school as a single mom with no help or child support so you can imagine...ah well...
Old 03-13-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
Have playdates at your house then.
Sadly, no one comes so I stopped trying as it sucks to wait around home and have to answer 'why'. It could be my timing- I would have thought many other kids of preschool age would do things on a similar timetable, but tis not so. I must have the only child in town who likes to do things at 4pm. I can't imagine what everyone else does with afternoon energy? Actually, I truly believe many people just like to be alone. Kieran is getting that way, he only wants to play with HIS friends and me, not at the park with the kids there. I was reading this thing in MetroParent about starting a whole playgroup/daycare group out of ppl you meet at the park... well, I want to know where that park is, my park is not like that! (ok, i do know some that are better, and not obnoxiously over-social either, you can keep to yourself, or not, but they are farther away). I guess at age 4, I just missed the boat. Kieran has 2 great school friends, so he is fine, it's just me

Last night, he starts painting- hasn't done that in 3 years! Of course, he really just wanted to squirt paint and rinse brushes, but still!

oh! Captain Bogg and Salty have a new album!!!
Old 03-13-2009, 02:47 PM

Four is a really hard time for people with older kids. I know by then the older ones are home, we are running to GS or doing homework. Or I just don't really want to bring the older ones to a playdate.. as they are disruptive to the lil ones.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tentatively letting out the breath I've been holding. The preliminary reports on the MRI and EEG appear normal. They need to be fully reviewed by the neurologist but she is cautiously saying his clonic seizures are not brain-induced and will likely go away on their own. I mis-typed earlier with calling them myoclonic seizures. One of the peds had called them that and also called them focal seizures but according to the neurologist they are clonic seizures. Anyway, I should have the full results in a few days but we're cautiously optimistic!
Old 03-13-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
Tentatively letting out the breath I've been holding. The preliminary reports on the MRI and EEG appear normal. They need to be fully reviewed by the neurologist but she is cautiously saying his clonic seizures are not brain-induced and will likely go away on their own. I mis-typed earlier with calling them myoclonic seizures. One of the peds had called them that and also called them focal seizures but according to the neurologist they are clonic seizures. Anyway, I should have the full results in a few days but we're cautiously optimistic!
s We will continue to keep you in our thoughts and hope the preliminary reports are correct.

User Tag List