PDX in March - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 667 Old 03-14-2009, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
I'm not thrilled with the idea of the kids getting pox. Tania is vaxxed, Lu is not. I had it when I was 4 and I remember that it was hell. I'm not sure what I'll be doing about it or any of the other vaccines for Lu yet.
Sophia is vaxed for pox but not for mmr yet. I know that seems weird but she has very sensitive skin and every pimple, bug bite, splinter, ect seems to turn into cellulitis or some other major crusty, fever causing infection. I was terrified of the idea of lots of open sores all over her body.

I remember chicken pox as being helllish too. And really embarrassing for some reason too. I think I was old enough that their effect on my apprearance really bothered me.
#362 of 667 Old 03-14-2009, 07:13 PM

Talula has really sensitive skin too. And eczema. I had sensitive skin as a kid too. Ugh, being itchy with pox was so miserable. Especially...down there.
#363 of 667 Old 03-14-2009, 11:28 PM

Chicken pox was really mild for me. I remember my parents arguing about whether I was contagious or not more than I remember itching. My sister is pretty pro-vaccine because she had a bad experience with it. I was too young to remember, though. OTOH, she had a bad reaction to the pertussis vaccine, as a baby.

Cliff brought up vaccines recently, saying we should do some research. I pointed out the book I had bought and he was like, "oh good," and hasn't brought it up again, and hasn't cracked the book, either.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#364 of 667 Old 03-15-2009, 12:15 AM

i do mmr but wait until 2 or 2 1/2 instead of the 12 mo when they start talking about it. i might just do the pox vax for isaac at his 5 yr checkup. i'm pondering that one. i hadn't even thought about the sensitive skin aspect but isaac is my sensitive skin guy. he used to have eczema and still is rashy sometimes.

i still have scars from the pox. i remember the inside of my throat being so itchy
#365 of 667 Old 03-15-2009, 02:43 AM

i had the pox BADLY, inside my lashes, under my nails, in my anus and vulva, down my throat, everywhere!!! but i still want both of my girls to get them. i think its important. sadly, Addy was vaccinated, before i did all of my reserach. so i hope she can get the pox, i know Niamh can

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#366 of 667 Old 03-15-2009, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottiew View Post
but if they are in school in the AM, then they just have no play time at all, huh... this started at age 2, btw, not like they had homework at 2! it worked when they were babies, that's all. the post-nap play time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyMamaBear View Post
i had the pox BADLY, inside my lashes, under my nails, in my anus and vulva, down my throat, everywhere!!! but i still want both of my girls to get them. i think its important. sadly, Addy was vaccinated, before i did all of my reserach. so i hope she can get the pox, i know Niamh can
Elizabeth and Amanda were vaxed too.. However they have only had one vax.. and it is my understanding it is only lasting about 10 years or so.... if that.. which is why they are requiring a booster now.. so I think if the lil ones get it in a year or two.. they might be able to get it.

I don't think I had the pox that badly. I remember having it.. but I don't remember being bothered by it. I have pictures of me with it.. my facebook profile pic is of me with the pox.. you can't even tell.
#367 of 667 Old 03-15-2009, 03:38 PM

I've been eating oranges like crazy. Just really craving them . . . I think they make me think of summer even though they are kind of winter fruit.

Guess who went running in the rain this morning? It was me! I ran yesterday and the day before too. I wish I could stay consistant on the exercise thing. I work really hard on it for a few weeks and then I kind get burned out:/

We're leaving on Thursday to go see my parents for a couple of weeks. For this first time ever, Sophia doesn't nurse in the day anymore. She's not even really nursing in the morning most days, just before bed. So I guess I won't have that secret weapon on the airplane. I wonder if I should let her if she wants to? Just for the ear popping and time passing effects? On the other hand, I have to admit feeling slightly more awkward nursing this great big nursling on an airplane than I used to.
#368 of 667 Old 03-15-2009, 04:10 PM

Pauline, the last time Eleanor and I flew she wasn't really nursing during the day. I brought raisins and chewy things, or lollipops. Something to get her ears to pop. And we practiced popping our ears before we left. Good luck! And it is awkward in those little seats to nurse a 3 year old. I think she may have nursed a bit on the descent. I don't think it would hurt to let her if she freaks out with her ears.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#369 of 667 Old 03-15-2009, 04:22 PM

Oh, thanks for the lollypop reminder. I had a few in my bag last time and they were veeeeery helpful during some tough moments.
#370 of 667 Old 03-15-2009, 07:06 PM

Is Shawn going with you this trip, Pauline? How long you going for, spring break?

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#371 of 667 Old 03-15-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post

Guess who went running in the rain this morning? It was me! I ran yesterday and the day before too. I wish I could stay consistant on the exercise thing. I work really hard on it for a few weeks and then I kind get burned out:/
Yeah for running, that's so awesome. I've been so lazy and the time change is not really helping. The kids have not been sleep very well either and I've been working to hard too.
#372 of 667 Old 03-15-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Pauline, that is really awesome that you've been running. Yay for you!! When I start to feel burned out from the running it really helps me to not push myself so hard -- I tell myself that twice a week is awesome and try to stick with that as a minimum, and that helps me keep going for longer. Plus, running is not the most awesome sport for woman's bodies, so cutting back on it sometimes or switching to other things can be good.
#373 of 667 Old 03-15-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
Is Shawn going with you this trip, Pauline? How long you going for, spring break?
We're going for two weeks. Shawn will stay here.

Thanks for the encouragement on the running.
#374 of 667 Old 03-16-2009, 12:31 AM

that's awesome. i've gone running twice. and hopefully i'll get out there again sometime soon. there is definitely nothing consistent with my life and exercise right now :

i'm procrastinating the bedtime routine and letting them run and wrestle. ebin had a pretty late nap so that means bedtime will go on and on. and on and on and on
#375 of 667 Old 03-16-2009, 01:02 AM

Kids are bathed and ready for bed.. I am ironing DH's shirts for the week then I will put Alex to sleep. I wonder how long it is going to take DH to come upstairs and put Bre to bed. :
#376 of 667 Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 AM

Hey there everyone,

I'm new to MDC and looking for other moms in the area. I have a 10 month old son and no friends with baby boys his age, let alone friends with my more natural views of not vaccinating, eating organic etc. I would love to meet some people and find some little boys for my son to play with. thanks.
#377 of 667 Old 03-16-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaama View Post
Hey there everyone,

I'm new to MDC and looking for other moms in the area. I have a 10 month old son and no friends with baby boys his age, let alone friends with my more natural views of not vaccinating, eating organic etc. I would love to meet some people and find some little boys for my son to play with. thanks.
may i respectfully ask why you are looking for boys in particular? some of my (now 14) year old's oldest childhood friends are boys (and she's a girl) - your options may be broader if you don't limit yourself by gender....
#378 of 667 Old 03-16-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylawolf View Post
may i respectfully ask why you are looking for boys in particular? some of my (now 14) year old's oldest childhood friends are boys (and she's a girl) - your options may be broader if you don't limit yourself by gender....
i babysit a 9 month old girl and have 4 friends with girls. I would love either but he hasn't ever had a boy his age to play with. i have noticed with the girls they play a lot dantier, which is fine but i would love for him to have some boys he can eat dirt and play with cars and all too. i'm not saying girls can't, just th ones he is around don't play the way he does. hope that makes sense. anyway any babies to play with would be great
#379 of 667 Old 03-16-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Pauline, that is really awesome that you've been running. Yay for you!! When I start to feel burned out from the running it really helps me to not push myself so hard -- I tell myself that twice a week is awesome and try to stick with that as a minimum, and that helps me keep going for longer. Plus, running is not the most awesome sport for woman's bodies, so cutting back on it sometimes or switching to other things can be good.
Lee - Why is running not so awesome for women? Is it the pressure on the joints or what?
#380 of 667 Old 03-16-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherRea View Post
I feel for you on this I am in the same boat.
Heather, did Dylan ever get past that phase of not wanting to go out with you to do things? Kieran is getting better, he doesn't just act negative for the sake of doing it, but you still have to cater to him a lot... or fight. He and Dylan might get along, actually, if you ever want to meet up- I'm in N. Portland, not far from Vanc. Tho traffic will kill me

I had a friend over a month ago when my foot hurt- to help with the kid! SHe isn't really into kids, but she knows him, has been OK with him before... she acted like he was the biggest brat ever, just because he wanted to talk to her. She just wanted him to play by himself quietly and he wanted attention. I think if you are with someone and their kid, and their kid says hi- you should say hi back, for a little bit- then he will stop bugging (unless you encourage it), but if you just try to brush him off, he will be in your face. Just a reminder that not everyone thinks my kid is great...

I was reading up on summer day camps (cause we are not sure we want to do our school's program, it was bad last year), and they all say they expect perfect little behavior (out of 4 yo), and yet, say nothing about how they will help your child do this- it's all on me to somehow tell him how to act when I am not there?
#381 of 667 Old 03-16-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
i babysit a 9 month old girl and have 4 friends with girls. I would love either but he hasn't ever had a boy his age to play with. i have noticed with the girls they play a lot dantier, which is fine but i would love for him to have some boys he can eat dirt and play with cars and all too. i'm not saying girls can't, just th ones he is around don't play the way he does. hope that makes sense. anyway any babies to play with would be great
Same for me at that age- all we knew was girls, I wanted to know boys for balance. Now, many of his friends are girls- of the tomboy variety.
#382 of 667 Old 03-16-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
Quote:
Lee - Why is running not so awesome for women? Is it the pressure on the joints or what?
Running isn't really good on ANY body. pounding on your joints, especially back and knees is rough. However it's good for your heart and lungs, and for some people your head. (not me, i only run from bears and scary people ) Besides, changing it up helps your body burn more calories and tones/strengthens different muscles. Just my $.02

Mamato Ruby Violet joy.gif(6 with autism) and someone 1sttri.gif who should make him/herself known sometime in the next month.

#383 of 667 Old 03-16-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is the pressure/pounding on the joints as Korin says. But also, men and women are built differently and the center of gravity is different and so in the long run, it affects women more adversely, especially in the pelvic region and knees.
#384 of 667 Old 03-16-2009, 01:02 PM

I ran for cross country team in HS, and it totally killed my hips, especially while they were developing. Also, I'd pinch a nerve in my spine sometimes. So now I try to just focus on core strengthening if I ever get the chance, which is rare. Once in a while I start running, and then remember why I stopped. What I would give to just go swimming, and actually get a workout! (not the kind of workout you get clinging to two wiggly girls)

#385 of 667 Old 03-16-2009, 01:15 PM

Just ordered a new car seat for Maddy,,, gawd I hope it fits in our car! It's the Graco Nautilus, their new 5pt harness/booster, since Amelia needs to move out of her infant seat very soon. It's supposed to get here Thursday! Someday we'll get a car with the LATCH system and it will be so much easier...

We're touring New Day School tomorrow... I don't think Maddy will end up going there after all, but you have to do the tour to be on the waiting list, and I want to stay on the waiting list just in case we're rolling in dough and I want to join in on Cliff's new exploding business next fall. I don't know why but I'm nervous! Maybe because Maddy talks about going to school all the time and I'm afraid she'll love it.

#386 of 667 Old 03-16-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
My oldest two girls ate dirt and played with cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarstella View Post
Just ordered a new car seat for Maddy,,, gawd I hope it fits in our car! It's the Graco Nautilus, their new 5pt harness/booster, since Amelia needs to move out of her infant seat very soon. It's supposed to get here Thursday! Someday we'll get a car with the LATCH system and it will be so much easier...
We have the Nautilus and the LATCH, however once your child reaches 48lbs you can no longer use the LATCH with the Nautilus. So, Bre has it installed with the seatbelt. I do like the fact that the harness goes up to 65lbs. Maybe this one will last her until she is 6. I thought the Evenflo Advanced would last a while but she has already reached the 50 lb limit on that.
#387 of 667 Old 03-16-2009, 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=aniT;13374787]My oldest two girls ate dirt and played with cars.

I'm not saying that girls can't or don't do those things. I'm saying the ones he is around do not do those things. And I'm saying that he has girls to be around, but he has NEVER had a boy baby to play with. I am trying to make things more equal for him. There is nothing wrong with him playing with girls. He just should have the opportunity to play with boys too.
#388 of 667 Old 03-16-2009, 04:05 PM

welcome amaama!

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#389 of 667 Old 03-16-2009, 04:08 PM

Amaama, what area are you in? I can't think of anyone right now with baby boys your son's age. The closest I can think of is Amy's son, who is...about 1? She's really busy these days though. Have you gone to Airplay Cafe for any of their daytime events? I always see a few little boys when I go. I think they have a lunchtime concert thingie every Wednesday.
#390 of 667 Old 03-16-2009, 04:10 PM

Running can also cause or aggravate pelvic organ prolapse, especially in women who have given birth recently. I can't run every again really, because it could and probably would make my prolapses worse. I've read lots of stories about women who were running, and then felt their prolapse(s) occur.

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page