PDX in March - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#421 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how old are you?
I don't care what my friends think. I do things my way. It rubs me the wrong way when I hear them tell me about their beliefs..I hate when I hear things like "babies need to be taught to be independent and learn that the can't be held at a whim..so we just let them cry it out" or "i got bored with breastfeeding"

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama

TTC #3

#422 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaama View Post

I have been to the vax forum and looked for other moms in the area there too, but they suggested looking here. I have many friends that I have had prior to my concern for vax and my choice for other more natural parenting methodes. Unfortunatly I have found many people, even previous friends to be very judgmental of my decisions and that is why I would like to have some people that already share my views without my having to defend myself.

It seems however that there are not any moms out there in this forum with sons the same age as mine. Thanks for your replies anyway.
But there are moms here who understand, or at least accept and support, your vax decision. You might want to talk to people here with kids of other ages, even if it's not the same as having a playmate- there are intermittant playdates and meetups. And maybe have playmates whose parents have other views, and maybe one day the twain shall meet
#423 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaama View Post
No I didn't know that about the Rubella vax. However, there are a few other vax that say they have the aborted fetal dna in them. The only one that comes to mind right now is the chicken pox vax. Do you know if it's the same for those as well?
No.. I never really paid attention. The abortion issue in regards to vaccines is a non-issue for me. I am more worried about non-human DNA being introduced via vaccines, or the toxins in them. If you really want to get into that.. a post in the vaccine forum would be more helpful.
#424 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
WELLL..not to brag...but I just made mine tonight. I put it fat side up in a large pot. Covered it in water and brought it to a boil. Then I added 5 peppercorns and 2 bayleaves and the seasoning packet. I turned it down to simmer. Mine was 3lbs. I started it at 11:30. At 4:30 I added the vegtables and some more water. At 5:30 I checked veggies and they were done so I turned it off and sliced it up. YUMMY! the BEST corned beef I have EVER had!. Hedy gave me a recipe..hang on and I'll find it
Thanks Ericka!

(Insomnia)
#425 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickalynne View Post
how old are you?
I don't care what my friends think. I do things my way. It rubs me the wrong way when I hear them tell me about their beliefs..I hate when I hear things like "babies need to be taught to be independent and learn that the can't be held at a whim..so we just let them cry it out" or "i got bored with breastfeeding"
I will be 23 next month....not 15 or whatever, but a lot of my friends are in their 30's and feel the way they have done it has worked so why question it. I won't change my views because of thier opinion but it is really hard to bite my tongue when they say "my kid has had formula/vax/cried it out etc and their fine" yet they have been sick almost every week since they were a couple months old. Or the i have kids I don't have time to look into things like that, but then they don't want to hear about it either. I don't know, I guess I just feel worn out trying to defend/explain my choices all the time. Thank you though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottiew View Post
But there are moms here who understand, or at least accept and support, your vax decision. You might want to talk to people here with kids of other ages, even if it's not the same as having a playmate- there are intermittant playdates and meetups. And maybe have playmates whose parents have other views, and maybe one day the twain shall meet
Totally, I'm sorry if it came off that I wasn't interested in talking to moms of all sorts here. I was just hoping to find some boys (and girls) for my son to play with close to his age. The other night I was at a memorial for a boy at my church and my son was sleeping but I was sitting in the nursing mom's room and there was a little boy his age that acted so much like him and I wanted so bad for him to wake up so he could play with this little boy that would totally "get" him, but the mom ended up being a little stand offish anyhow and didn't really want him to play with the other babies, so that's what lead me to looking for a little boy for him to play with because I haven't see any of the girls that he does play with act like he does, which is great for him being around different kinds of people but it would be nice to have someone that's like him as well I guess. I don't know, now I'm confusing myself, lol.

Anyway, thank you for all of your replies and support. I have been to the vax group, like I said and they sent me hear to find people, but I will definatly be continuing to discuss things in that forum as well. I have many concerns on the vax besides the aborted fetal dna, however, if I could put my mind to ease about everything (which isn't going to happen) I still couldn't do it because of my beliefs on the subject, so it's kinda that thing that when someone will argue "vax don't cause autism" and such it's that one thing that there isn't an arguement on....it's there, I don't agree and thus I will find another way. Thanks again
#426 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 12:43 PM

I have a question on babysitters....Our family that is close enough to watch our son, they aren't really trustworthy to do so and our friends either have their own kids and it's clear he wouldn't get the attention he needs or don't have their own kids and don't have a clue what to do with ours. More so though I think that I'm worried that they will want to do things their way and not totally respect our parenting style. For example in that big snow storm, my dad and a good friend of ours were stuck at our house so my fiance` and I went out to play in the snow for 10-15 minutes and knowing full well that we only feed our son organic food and breastfeed, etc. I came back in to find them feeding him whip cream. It's kinda made me feel that I can't ever leave him because they will just do what they want with him. Our other friend that used to watch him, I have watched take care of another baby and have seen that she just feeds them a bottle non-stop to shut them up rather than do anything else to try to console them, so we no longer trust her unless it's a less than an hour thing where he wont need to eat. Anyway, what do you all do or what would you do in this situation as far as someone watching your baby?
#427 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 01:20 PM

I would start trying to make more mama friends, no matter their kids ages/sex. You will figure out very quickly if you are on the same page regarding all the things that are important to you.

I am lucky that my family lives close and I have a few mama friends I really trust. I know my dad doesn't do things exactly the way I would, but he loves the kids and they are fine with him now. I just didn't leave them with him until they were older and food wasn't an issue. He does the typical grandparent thing and lets them eat more sugar than I would, but it isn't very often and I think it's fun for them since they know I don't buy that stuff.
#428 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar View Post
i hope the new derm is good erika. i need to find a derm to get a mole checked. it's freakin me out and i'm pretty sure it needs to get removed before it turns into malignant melanoma. i'm totally paranoid....i'm turning 35 and my mom had MM at 39. of course...i haven't done anything to look for a derm.
Dr. Debbie ******. I don't have her info handy, though I need to go find it soon, as I'm due for a skin check.

I had melanoma (the malignant part is redundant) when I was 27. I knew a 17-year-old who had it on a birthmark on her vulva. Age has nothing to do with it.

There are 4 things to look for regarding a suspicious mole:
A Asymmetry - healthy moles are symmetrical. Which doesn't necessarily mean circular, as a heart-shape is symmetrical.
B Border - any mole with an irregular border (like a coastline rather than a human-drawn border) should be checked out
C Color - moles can be any color, but a mole that is more than one color (for example, dark brown with a light brown spot in it) need to be looked at
D - Diameter - anything larger than a pencil eraser is suspicious.

As well, pay attention to sizes - new moles or moles that grow quickly should be looked at ASAP. My uncle had a mole grow from pencil eraser to quarter sized in a month. He was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma.

And, Pauline, I wouldn't trust anyone other than a qualified dermatologist to look at a suspicious mole. They might be able to refer you, but a regular doctor has less than ONE DAY (IIRC) of training in looking at moles. My PCP said my suspicious mole was nothing to worry about. The derm who initially looked at me said it was nothing to worry about. The pathologist said it was stage 2 melanoma. So let your intuition be your guide - if you are worried, so someone who is qualified!

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#429 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 01:35 PM

amaama
have you read pass the bean dip? Its a homeschooling thing but you can so change it around to whatever topic you want. Might work well for those well meaning though irritating friends.

http://thehomeschoolclassroom.blogsp...-bean-dip.html

I was a young mom too so I know how you feel. We had our first at 19. I find that I am still a "young" mom in a lot of circles having four at the age of 27.

And I definately agree with coming to playdates even if the moms are not the same as you. We are Christian and I do not agree with a lot of the things others on here do but they are a great group of moms and we have a lot of other things in common. I would be really sad if I had not met them.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#430 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
Dr. Debbie ******. I don't have her info handy, though I need to go find it soon, as I'm due for a skin check.
Thank you! this one has grown rapidly and has a couple of shades of color. i definitely don't feel good about it.

i better get to the store this morning and hope the corned beef isn't sold out
#431 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 01:53 PM

I love all you mamas! : It's just so nice to have this community, especially when it's too hard to get out and meet up in person.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#432 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 01:57 PM

I felt like such a dork yesterday when my NS delivery came and there was this mysterious container of liquid in there... I looked at my receipt... then finally realized it came with the corned beef... . I know I tried to do the Irish dinner thing last year because it was the first time I ever heard of it, but I guess I forgot everything I learned!

I don't agree with the killing of snakes.

#433 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarstella View Post
I don't agree with the killing of snakes.
snakes?
#434 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 02:18 PM

thanks karen - i made an appt with dr ******. sadly not until may but i can wait. it's so much easier to have a recommendation than to pick someone off a list.

curious what the killing of snakes means too
#435 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
thanks karen - i made an appt with dr ******. sadly not until may but i can wait. it's so much easier to have a recommendation than to pick someone off a list.

curious what the killing of snakes means too
After some thought, I think it is a joke in reference to Allisons post.
#436 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 02:24 PM

So who's the snake killer?
#437 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 02:38 PM

Isn't the snake thing a St. Paddy's Day ref?
#438 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 03:44 PM

Oh yeah. I think I learned that from the Simpsons! I'm so not Irish.
#439 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 05:41 PM

Yes, St. Patrick ridding the island of serpents is what I was referring to.

Just as I feared, New Day School is just too perfect and Maddy is really into it, and now I have to do some serious thought around our budget because I really want to make it work.

I'm also into the coop idea, or possibly doing both, like two days of new day and three days coop. I don't know. I've got a summer to think about it. Maddy has a lot of energy and independence and talks about playing with other kids all the time. I have to do something for her!

#440 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Glad you were able to get an appointment! I need to call myself...Keep an eye on the mole - if it is growing (in either width or height), call back to get an emergency appointment. Two months CAN be a long time, if the thing is aggressive. (hope i"m not scaring you!)

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#441 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:

Just as I feared, New Day School is just too perfect and Maddy is really into it, and now I have to do some serious thought around our budget because I really want to make it work.

I'm also into the coop idea, or possibly doing both, like two days of new day and three days coop. I don't know. I've got a summer to think about it. Maddy has a lot of energy and independence and talks about playing with other kids all the time. I have to do something for her!
how old is your daughter? We live in SE as well and our roommate/friend has two girls 6 and 9 years old.
#442 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
I have never heard of such a thing.
#443 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 06:29 PM

She'll be three next month! I'm actually not super into the idea of sending her off to school, I just know deep down that she will love it and thrive off of it. Two or three days a week is really ideal to me. Unfortunately it won't mean free time for me, as I've got another one who is almost 6 mos now, but it will make it a little easier especially since DD2 is so much mellower.

And for those who have met Maddy and seen what a mellow little angel she is and wonder what I'm talking about, I can assure you that is not how she is at home!

#444 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 07:17 PM

OMG, you guys. Joey has to go to the store after picking Tania up from choir, but he called to ask if he could drop them off at home first because Talula has been farting and stinking the car out too much!
#445 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
She'll be three next month! I'm actually not super into the idea of sending her off to school, I just know deep down that she will love it and thrive off of it. Two or three days a week is really ideal to me. Unfortunately it won't mean free time for me, as I've got another one who is almost 6 mos now, but it will make it a little easier especially since DD2 is so much mellower.

And for those who have met Maddy and seen what a mellow little angel she is and wonder what I'm talking about, I can assure you that is not how she is at home!
Awe. Well it looks like mine is a bit younger and the girls are a bit older but it was worth a try. When the weather gets a bit nicer though we live right by a big park and take all the kids up there. I believe it's Glenfair park. We just moved here from Gresham in January so not sure of the specifics of the area quite yet.
#446 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 08:07 PM

Sigh. I'm kind of bummed out because our babysitter for this Friday night fell through. We have tickets to see Brian Jonestown Massacre. It's really hard to find someone, because Tania will be at a sleepover, so it's just Lu, and it's pretty late at night. Oh well, maybe for the best, because I have a seminar the next day. I wish I could find someone who would go with Joey and actually appreciate how awesome BJM is.
#447 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 08:08 PM

must be all those OTY cruciferous veggies!

#448 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
And, Pauline, I wouldn't trust anyone other than a qualified dermatologist to look at a suspicious mole. They might be able to refer you, but a regular doctor has less than ONE DAY (IIRC) of training in looking at moles. My PCP said my suspicious mole was nothing to worry about. The derm who initially looked at me said it was nothing to worry about. The pathologist said it was stage 2 melanoma. So let your intuition be your guide - if you are worried, so someone who is qualified!

I went to my appt. My main concern was that it was a *Lump* in my breast but really I thought it was more of bump. She looked at it and and said it "didn't look like anything to worry about" and looked "like a skin thing". She looked at it again when she was doing my boob exam and said she didn't think it was anything to worry about but that she would ask the dermotologist. I think it is kind of weird that she is just going to ask the dermotologist what she thinks without actually seeing it. Like, the dermatologist hasn't seen it. I should have asked her if she was going to call me and tell me what the dermatologist said or what. I guess she is going to describe it to the dermatologist.

It hasn't changed. It's been there about 3 months. It's a round bump the same color as my skin under my boob. It feels hard inside.

My pap smear was funny. She got the speculum in and started humming to herself. Than she said "I always hum when I do pap smears" and I said "Well, it's certainly better than whistling".
#449 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
must be all those OTY cruciferous veggies!
Actually, that's probably exactly it. Last night we had broccoli, and the night before, we had broccoli and kale. She was gassy and uncomfortable last night, up from 2-4 and then 5:30-6, then up and at 'em at 7. But she LOVES broccoli like it's the last thing to eat on earth. Maybe she doesn't need 4-5 servings of it per night though. Should I substitute with cookies when she cries for it?
#450 of 667 Old 03-17-2009, 08:40 PM

And she just had a lovely green poop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page