PDX in March - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2009, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Guess I'll know the results later this week.

Ugh, I pinched something in my back this morning and now have lost some mobility of my neck arm and back. I felt it kind of squish while the almost four year old was nursing on top of me in bed. Oh how I wish the nursing in bed would stop. How to encourage that without simultaneously committing myself to a 5am get up?

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2009, 03:59 PM

The night nursing is getting really old with me too. I have noticed that the nights he sleeps all night I am less tired.. but when he wakes up to nurse.. sometimes for an hour or more.. I am tired and crabby during the day.

When he eats more dinner he doesn't wake up. He is waking up because he is hungry. BUT he has become such a picky eater... he wont eat half the time. Breakfast just ended up tossed.. At least it was oatmeal and mostly stuck to the bowl.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaPOW! View Post
Guess I'll know the results later this week.

Ugh, I pinched something in my back this morning and now have lost some mobility of my neck arm and back. I felt it kind of squish while the almost four year old was nursing on top of me in bed. Oh how I wish the nursing in bed would stop. How to encourage that without simultaneously committing myself to a 5am get up?
Macey really doesn't nurse much at night but the night waking is driving me crazy right now. She was sleeping really well but she is now consistently waking up at around 3:30 am and staying awake for some time. Then I fall asleep about an hour before I am supposed to wake up and I don't want to so I can't get the early wake up I like.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:42 PM

I was more sick with Michael and Marah than other pregnancies. I was sick with Maddy but it ended around 4-5 months. Michael I lost 30 lbs and was sick till about 5-6 months. With Marah I lost about 30 lbs and was sick till 5 months or so. With Nomy I only lost about 20 or so pounds and sickness ended fairly early at 4-5 months. I don't think boy or girl has anything to do with it.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

Old 03-18-2009, 04:55 PM

oh yes, we're familiar with the 330 wakeup for sure. Kids have some weird rhythms. Nico is past that (I hope) except when he's sick. Then all bets are off. He'll sleep 'til 5 now, and if I nurse him he'll stay in bed (nursing) longer. How to help him stay in bed longer without nursing is an enigma to me.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:56 PM

Sophia is waking every night for a few hours. Last night wasn't as bad but it's been pretty consistant lately. Maybe the change of seasons?
Old 03-18-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND View Post
Sophia is waking every night for a few hours. Last night wasn't as bad but it's been pretty consistant lately. Maybe the change of seasons?
Could be. Seems soooo common for that age range, too. Sorry you were up so much Are you leaving today?

Old 03-18-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
many of kieran\s preschool mates seem to report this... kieran only started sleeping through the night at age 3, and has not stopped since. maybe it's because they started doing it so much earlier? when he was 2, i remember having to lie so close and not move and all and breathe steady to keep him asleep from 5 to 6... and very lightly asleep it was, too.

ok, he HAS to go to the park or do yardwork today, it's too nice out! though, he may be tired, we will see... or he may make me do bicycle in the side yard. he is not quite tall enough, so i have to drag it over all the bumps.

my school called me, summer is probably going to be OK.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:51 PM

Is facebook being a butt for anyone else this evening?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
I went to my appt. My main concern was that it was a *Lump* in my breast but really I thought it was more of bump. She looked at it and and said it "didn't look like anything to worry about" and looked "like a skin thing". She looked at it again when she was doing my boob exam and said she didn't think it was anything to worry about but that she would ask the dermotologist. I think it is kind of weird that she is just going to ask the dermotologist what she thinks without actually seeing it. Like, the dermatologist hasn't seen it. I should have asked her if she was going to call me and tell me what the dermatologist said or what. I guess she is going to describe it to the dermatologist.
OK, that's just strange!

And about the humming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarstella View Post

BTW, went to Legare's coffee shop today, and it was really sweet. Jonathan (Ellie's husband) was there and he was the nicest guy. He brought Maddy a free fruit plate while her bagel was toasting! The place is so kid-friendly, I only wish it were bigger and more kid friendly in terms of space.
Where is this?

Quote:
oh yes, we're familiar with the 330 wakeup for sure. Kids have some weird rhythms. Nico is past that (I hope) except when he's sick. Then all bets are off. He'll sleep 'til 5 now, and if I nurse him he'll stay in bed (nursing) longer. How to help him stay in bed longer without nursing is an enigma to me.
Chase hasn't had that 5am milks in MONTHS and he still often wakes up at 5:15. He doesn't sleep in our bed anymore, but I've noticed he'll sometimes sleep longer if I climb into bed with him, although it's more effective if I do that BEFORE he climbs out of bed and calls for me! We'll be sleeping all night in the same bed when we go to CA in April, so it will be interesting to see how that affects his sleep schedule.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
Old 03-19-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

Chase hasn't had that 5am milks in MONTHS and he still often wakes up at 5:15. He doesn't sleep in our bed anymore, but I've noticed he'll sometimes sleep longer if I climb into bed with him, although it's more effective if I do that BEFORE he climbs out of bed and calls for me! We'll be sleeping all night in the same bed when we go to CA in April, so it will be interesting to see how that affects his sleep schedule.
That's what I'm worried about, and why I haven't pushed for an end to milk at 5am. Darn. It doesn't help that 5am is my wake time for workdays, so he's used to getting up thereabouts 3 days a week. I guess that is the answer to my question, really. Days when I'm already up and he has no 5am milk, he's wide awake and out of bed. Blah.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:17 AM

I had some diapers in a bad downstairs yesterday and I can't find them anywhere. I think DH took them out with the trash last night.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:07 PM

Well MDC being absolutely and completely dead makes checking my email in the morning a breeze. No threads to catch up on.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i had to take my poor kitty to go get fixed....i cried

no circ/vax-babywearer-cosleeping-pumping/breastfeeding-homeschooling single mama to Junebug , Sugarbug and expecting
Old 03-19-2009, 02:50 PM

I went out on a limb this morning and left Amelia with Maddy while I showered, at Maddy's request. Went off without a hitch! Amelia normally sits in the bouncy seat while I shower, so laying on the bed wasn't all that different, except Maddy was there entertaining her. Now she's referring to Amelia as, "my baby."

The risk was small, and the payoff was huge! I've been thinking a lot about showing kids trust, so this was a big step in that direction.

Also, Amelia is getting on Maddy's old pee schedule. I stayed up late last night knitting and just before midnight, Amelia started fussing and struggling, and I checked her diaper and it was dry. Took her to the potty and she went immediately. Then this morning at 7 she was dry again so I took her potty and she went immediately. I'm pretty stoked about it. I know getting up in the middle of the night isn't for everyone, but dry nights are worth it to me. Sleep was certainly worth more to me as little as a month ago!

Cliff's on my s*$# list, and I'm not even sure he knows it. He came home last night, complained he was so hungry he was going to pass out, shoved past all the leftovers I had so carefully put into clear containers for easy viewing, and wondered aloud why dinner wasn't ready yet, then scarfed down all our sliced ham that is supposed to be for lunches which he never eats. I quickly made him up a plate so he could have a real dinner, and he went to sleep without eating it! He didn't wake up until this morning, when he demanded I make him breakfast. I made breakfast because I had wanted to anyway, but gawd what a jerk! At least his friend who picks him up for work was really helpful. He dressed Maddy, played with Amelia, and thanked me for breakfast. About ready to trade in. I don't even know what to say... I mean, he has to know what a jerk he's being, right? Usually I just continue being my pleasant helpful self until the contrast is so glaring that he corrects himself. But I think he's getting to the point of just taking my pleasant helpful self for granted. I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to balance the load more. I mean, he does make the money, but it doesn't seem like he works all that hard. I don't want to say this because it seems disrespectful of the work he does. He probably thinks I don't work that hard. Does anyone have a system that works, with just one bread-winning partner?

Speaking of bread... I've been asking him to go to the bread outlet for like a month, to no avail.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
Old 03-19-2009, 10:10 PM

did I kill it? on a cloudy day, even. well, I'm not seething over Cliff anymore, but I did kind of bite his head off when he was saying "everyone in Europe uses skype (a phone service with free internet calling)" and I said, "hey, Ilike (my best HS friend) should have skype then! why have I not been talking to her!?" to which he replied, "because you don't talk to anyone," to which I replied, "because I can't just ignore the kids and disappear for hours on whim." Not that he was listening. Doesn't he know I'm the one cutting his hair tonight?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:30 PM

I have immunity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who would've thunk it?

Laura. Things are rough around here right now too.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:35 PM

Which is probably why you never got it. Your probably had a very very very mild case.. you didn't even notice it... or were too little to know any different.. but it was enough for immunity. WooHoo.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:43 PM

oh no, I got it in highschool when i was 16. but just one pock. I've never been sure if it 'stuck'.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
oh no, I got it in highschool when i was 16. but just one pock. I've never been sure if it 'stuck'.
Well see You immune system just kicked it's butt.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 PM

yep - it's been quiet today. i've been feeling really blah after the nice-ness of yesterday's weather.

i don't have any awesome advice about the breadwinner thing. i guess the main thing is communicating that you'd like some appreciation expressed for what you do. i think men will definitely take the easy road most times...like 'if she's acting ok, things must be ok!' we're a primarily one bread-winner family now for the most part and it's been a rocky transition. i tend to save up all my little irks and then purge them all in one fell swoop when i finally get really ticked. not recommending that approach

my boys are at each other's throats right now. gah. one very tired and tearful 4yo and a 1yo that knows how to push buttons : i'm going to start dinner :
Old 03-20-2009, 01:46 AM

I got this very cryptic email from OMSI today, any ideas? I don't particularly care enough to actually call, but am still curious...

Dear Member,

OMSI has been featured in the news recently and we understand that you may have questions. If you do, please call me at 503.797.4531 or email at [email protected].

Thank you,

Sarah Horton
Membership Manager

Old 03-20-2009, 01:48 AM

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie....4ecb80f5.html

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
Old 03-20-2009, 03:59 AM

Well that is lovely. Unfortunately something like will happen anywhere children congregate. It wouldn't stop me from going to OMSI. It would just remind me that even the Science Playground is not 100% safe. (I assume the window was the window into the art room.. but maybe not.)
Old 03-20-2009, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Laura. Things are rough around here right now too.
Methinks there is something in the water.

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
Old 03-20-2009, 12:16 PM

Can't help with the battles between partners. Things are not pretty over here right now.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:16 PM

Nico sang me a homemade "i love you" song this morning I sure love that sweet little voice.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
That's what I'm worried about, and why I haven't pushed for an end to milk at 5am. Darn. It doesn't help that 5am is my wake time for workdays, so he's used to getting up thereabouts 3 days a week. I guess that is the answer to my question, really. Days when I'm already up and he has no 5am milk, he's wide awake and out of bed. Blah.
kieran went from a late riser, to an early one, back to a late one... now, i almsot have to drag him up. when he used to be bouncy before dawn.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:59 PM

I found a little help over on this thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1058090
mainly the articles in post #1.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:04 PM

Thanks, Laura. I'm bookmarking it and hoping to get to read it this weekend.

Candice

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one

User Tag List