5-yr-old with SID - Eugene - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-06-2009, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Frustrated and concerned mom with a 5-yr-old daughter with Sensory Integration Disorder looking for support in Eugene. Kindergarten was a nightmare, and Anna is once again alone on the playground.

Any insight, advice, direction, links, resources, etc. would be soooo appreciated. Finding help has been difficult, and we are losing hope.

- A.
#2 of 7 Old 03-06-2009, 10:46 PM

Im not anywhere nere you, Im up in Spokane Washington, but I just wanted to say you are not alone. I have a 9 year old boy with SID. He just got diagnosed with Irlen Syndrome also. Very stressful. Have you gotten your daughter into occupational therapy? That has really helped my Son alot.

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/index.html

http://www.spdparentshare.com/index.htm

http://www.spdfoundation.net/
#3 of 7 Old 03-06-2009, 10:49 PM

I reread your post Mama & I am so sorry, my Son is a 4th grader & he too is alone alot of the time at school because he is excessively loud, he touches or hits people, he can't sit still, etc... The kids think he is weird so they stay away from him, he does have good friends they just don't go to his school. Can you talk to the counselor at her school, usually they can help. Our has helped tremendously.
#4 of 7 Old 03-07-2009, 06:14 PM

I don't have have any first hand info about this, but have you tried any Early Intervention programs? Or maybe contacting the school she went to, or would be going to in Eugene? Maybe the counselor could help?

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#5 of 7 Old 03-07-2009, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. Anna has been in early intervention since she was 2-yrs-old. We eventually took her to a private pediatric therapy group in our home town, where she was in intensive OT therapy for a couple of years: adaptive listening therapy, brushing, joint compressions, weighted vests... the works. Her OT issues are (YAY!) mostly resolved. She still has a profound speech/communication delay, but was discharged from private therapy. She continues to see a speech therapist, and will for a long time yet, I imagine.

We enrolled Anna in Kindergarten this past fall, armed with past IEPs and 2-3 inches of 'documentation' of her condition, expectations, hurdles, etc.

Out of a team of 8 district employees, not ONE of them had ever even heard of SID. We started out fighting a losing battle. Her teacher labled her autistic from day one and never expected anything out of her. We pulled her from school last week after our family had begun to fall apart in our efforts to make the school comprehend Anna's condition.

Anna is not anti-social, but other children don't know what to make of her behavior. So they tend to keep their distance, unless I intervene. I want to connect with other parents who are in a similar situation for support/play, etc... but are finding the doors difficult to open. It is almost as if parents are hiding. I suppose I can understand that, though.

I never imagined just having a beautiful little girl could be such a battleground.

- A.
#6 of 7 Old 03-07-2009, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Rachelle -

I hadn't found spdparentshare.com - Thank you for the link!

- A.
#7 of 7 Old 02-11-2011, 07:34 PM

Dear Annasmom,

I have a 4 year old, and we just moved to Eugene in August of 2009.  She had a terrible time adjusting, and after several months and starting OT, we finally found out she has Sensory Processing "issues".  I can't really say she has SPD (or SID) because nobody here has officially diagnosed her.  We have gone the early intervention route through the state's program, only to be told she is on Autistic spectrum.  We are seeing a great Behavioral/Developmental Pediatrician and she has observed her in her classroom and has told us she is not on the spectrum.  I would love to connect with you offine somehow to compare notes of the resources you have found in Eugene and to see how your daughter is doing.  When I read your posts, I was able to totally relate.

Take care, and I hope you get my post.

Suebee

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page