Best place to find local/organically grown produce near Ft. Lewis, WA? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-23-2009, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas:

We move to Ft. Lewis in a week, and given my past experiences with the produce carried in military commissaries, I doubt I will want to purchase what is available there. That being said, please point me in the direction of the best places to buy locally grown, organic produce near Ft. Lewis. Farmer's Markets are great, as are food stands and local farms.

TIA!

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#2 of 10 Old 03-23-2009, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
http://www.localharvest.org/ is usually pretty good for finding this stuff, as well as http://www.pugetsoundfresh.org/ .

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 10 Old 03-23-2009, 07:48 PM

Tacoma has 3 farmers markets which will open soon (6th ave, downtown, and Proctor). The Puyallup Valley has several organic farms including Terry's Berries. There is a Trader Joes in University Place which tends to have an okay selection on organics (although we tend to avoid the produce). One of the best selections of high quality organic produce is Metropolitan Market in the Proctor district of Tacoma (worth the drive from Ft. Lewis). Tacoma Boys "a year-round indoor fruit stand" maybe worth checking out we have not been in a while and they are located in both Puyallup and Tacoma.

Good luck with the move!
#4 of 10 Old 03-23-2009, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will definitely check out some farmer's markets as well as the Metropolitan Mkt in the Proctor district.

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#5 of 10 Old 03-24-2009, 09:05 PM

Yikes I can't believe I forgot Marlene's Market (just about Tacoma's only natural food store) they have a good selection and so do most Fred Meyer's (its hit and miss depending upon the store, but most of the newer ones or remodeled stores have a large natural/organic selection that includes produce)
#6 of 10 Old 03-25-2009, 11:36 AM

The Proctor market opens April 6th. It's not exactly near Ft. Lewis, but it's not THAT bad.
My husband is based at Ft. Lewis and we live in the Protcor District.
Welcome to Tacoma!
#7 of 10 Old 03-25-2009, 02:10 PM

Along with all of the above, the Olympia farmer's market is supposed to be excellent. We haven't been yet, but I plan on going as soon as they open.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#8 of 10 Old 03-26-2009, 01:04 AM

Yes, the Olympia farmer's market is wonderful. We love going there for the fresh produce, other great stands, live music, great food, and just as a place to feel like a part of the community. There are also lots of farms in the Olympia area and I think you can get a farm map at the farmer's market. Also the two Olympia Food Co-ops usually have lots of local produce. I think there is a Trader Joe's that will be built in Olympia soon, too. And there is a Lacey farmer's market, which is associated with the OFM, which is open on Sat-Sun during the summer (maybe spring and fall, not sure about that). It isn't as big, but it is slightly closer. Their selection isn't as good as the OFM, but there is local produce there, too.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#9 of 10 Old 04-02-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahA View Post
Yikes I can't believe I forgot Marlene's Market (just about Tacoma's only natural food store) they have a good selection and so do most Fred Meyer's (its hit and miss depending upon the store, but most of the newer ones or remodeled stores have a large natural/organic selection that includes produce)
:yes I like Marlene's. Welcome to the area! DH and I have been at Lewis for a little over a year.
#10 of 10 Old 04-09-2009, 06:15 PM

Oh my gosh, Tabitha, are you here?!:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page