Favorite camping spots in Oregon? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 04-13-2009, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are probably late in the game, but we want to reserve several weekends of camping this summer. We would like to go to the coast at least one weekend, maybe up to Mt.Saint Helens, and toward Easstern Oregon.

What are your favorite places to camp? We live in Wilsonville, and would drive a few hours to get there. We've been to Eco Park Resort in Mt.Saint Helens (loved the yurt) and Jones Creek (loved it, too- great for kids).
#2 of 33 Old 04-13-2009, 02:49 PM

We camped last year at Sunset Bay State Park and loved it there. Definitely going back this year.

I'll have to check back to see what other suggestions you get!
#3 of 33 Old 04-14-2009, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I hope more people chime in. I probably should search the board for past threads. In fact, I may have started a similar one last year...

:-)
#4 of 33 Old 04-14-2009, 02:27 AM

Our favorite place to go camping is along the Clackamas River past Estacada. It's just a really nice place along the rolling river between the giant green mountains. And often we take the hike up to Bagby hot springs.
#5 of 33 Old 04-14-2009, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

That sounds great, and not too far from here. Is there a specific campsite you recommend?
#6 of 33 Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, nobody else? We're thinking of going this weekend- Estacada area sounds nice.
#7 of 33 Old 04-15-2009, 01:44 AM

The only place we've camped so far is by Detroit, Oregon at Shady Cove Campground. It's a little hard to find and out of the way, but some people prefer that.

Here's a link to a forum thread that talks about it.

Here's a link to my blog post about it.

Here's a link to my photoset about it.

There are several waterfalls close by. When the weather warms in the spring, the waterfalls are amazing.

ETA: Here's a couple of links to hiking and camping websites that might be of interest to you:

NWHikers.net (hiking forums)

portlandhikers.org

Wife to dh and mommy to dd1 (3/07), ds (1/10), and dd2 (any day now)!

#8 of 33 Old 04-15-2009, 02:13 AM

I like the Barview campground at Rockaway My favorite along the coast.

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
#9 of 33 Old 04-15-2009, 02:32 AM

In regards to camping near Estacada on the Clackamas River, there are plenty of campgrounds down there, maybe 20. Our personal favorite is Lazy Bend but that's probably just because we know it best. In the summer you can watch the kayakers and rafters go by your site. We've always been able to find a site without reservations there; not so with the Coast. There is actually free camping on the side of the road if you go far enough towards Detroit Lake.. and there is camping right at Bagby Hot Springs too.
#10 of 33 Old 04-16-2009, 11:10 PM

I *really really really* want to camp at Champoeg this summer (great biking and wildflowers and more).
But thus far my favorite place doesn't take reservations. Which is great if you can get there between 11 and 12 on a Friday, but not so good if not.
Short Sands Beach at Oswald West State Park. On the coast between Cannon Beach and Nehalem Bay. I'm telling you I bet fairies live there Magical! Now, they are walk in campsites. Big wheelbarrows available to trek your stuff in.
Have fun wherever you go!

Jennifer, Mama to Mila (5/14/2002) & : Gael (11/30/06), wife to Tony
#11 of 33 Old 04-17-2009, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Ooh, thanks, mamas! We're heading up to Oxbow on Sandy Gorge tomorrow for the first camping trip of the season. I can't wait! I've never been there before, but it's close and seems nice.

I'm so scared of first come first serve! It just seems like I put so much effort into preparing to camp it would totally suck to get there and have it be full. I am lucky, though, my dad loves to go for drives and he'll take max and I (and all our gear) basically anywhere and help us get set up on a Friday morning and then Ron can meet us after work.

We have been hiking in Charbonneau several times and it's nice... but I don't LOVE it. It's really close to us, though, so we might have to try a last minute first come first serve weekend there!

We should plan an MDC camping trip this summer!
#12 of 33 Old 04-17-2009, 03:48 PM

we love camping too but tend to go to different places all the time. we haven't become overly attached to any one spot in oregon. the one area we've revisted the most is indian heaven in skamania county.

i think they closed the walk in camp spots at oswald west last summer because a tree fell on a campsite. i'd check before going!

we're going to the group campsite at detroit lake in june. fingers crossed it doesn't rain

we haven't camped on the coast that much here because of the need to reserve spots so far ahead and then they seem so tiny and close together! we used to be much more into remote spots where you just pick a dirt road and find a fire pit, but we've actually done some campground camping since having kids.
#13 of 33 Old 04-17-2009, 10:02 PM

I love Champoeg the best. There are some great spots that I have camped in there, you just have to get on the right loop!

As for the coast, I have ever only camped South Beach in Newport, but it seemed okay to me Nice little trail to the beach, it was beautiful, even in October.
#14 of 33 Old 04-19-2009, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

We had a great time at Oxbow. It was beautiful, great trails, and fun to play down at the river. The sites in general looked a little small (for our huge tent) but we got a good one that was deep and had some cool logs to play on.

But MAN was it cold at night! The first night we pretty much got no sleep and froze all night, the second night we brought max in with us and put his blankets and sleeping bag over us all. Nice and cozy.
#15 of 33 Old 04-20-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell-Bell View Post
We had a great time at Oxbow. It was beautiful, great trails, and fun to play down at the river. The sites in general looked a little small (for our huge tent) but we got a good one that was deep and had some cool logs to play on.

But MAN was it cold at night! The first night we pretty much got no sleep and froze all night, the second night we brought max in with us and put his blankets and sleeping bag over us all. Nice and cozy.
I'm glad you had fun. You definitely got a great weekend in April for camping. We've wanted to go camping there too. McIver State Park is another good one, even for a day trip. There is camping and frisbee golf and a fish hatchery to check out and it is not far away: http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_142.php.
#16 of 33 Old 04-23-2009, 06:37 PM

I may be too late to give some advice but I love camping at both the Smith river and Squaw lake, both way south in OR- Though. We love swimming in our family, so both site have gorgeous clear water and amazing swimming.
hmmm... I'm dreaming of camping now! Don't know how that would go with and infant though!
#17 of 33 Old 04-24-2009, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

So what do you guys like about Champoeg? We live nearby and have been hiking there, but the campsite always looks so crowded and the hiking dry and flat. But it seems like people love it, so... why?
#18 of 33 Old 04-24-2009, 03:03 PM

Have lost track...has LL Stub Stewart been mentioned? We have been there for the day and love it! Would definitely be cold at night right now though...but is off the beaten path and has breathtaking views =)
http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_255.php
Champoeg, I haven't camped there but have done many day trips. We will camp and yurt there in July =)

Jennifer, Mama to Mila (5/14/2002) & : Gael (11/30/06), wife to Tony
#19 of 33 Old 04-27-2009, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We like Fort Stevens on the Coast but we like even better is Cape Disappointment on the Washington side.

We went camping a few years ago at Mt. St. Helens I think it was called Silver Lake. It was the most miserable miserable time was have every had camping. I grew up camping. We are a camping family. We know how to camp. So to say it was miserable we mean it was miserable. The mosquitoes were so bad I mean horrendous. I have never seen mosquitoes so bad. It put the ones I seen in Alaska to shame. If you cooked they would attack you. If you sat they would swarm your head not one or two but dozens upon dozens. They were mean mean mean. I am not sure if it was a bad season or what. We have camped before by Ape Caves and had no problem. Anyway it was so bad I do not want to give it a second chance. We even left early.

Heidi
#20 of 33 Old 05-29-2009, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping this with updates! We just got back from Green Canyon, in ZigZag next to Mt. Hood. It was beautiful. The river was too rough for much playing in it, but the sound at night was sleep inducing and the sites were nice and private.

I think we're looking at a first come first serve campsite for mid week in a couple weeks, I might have to try the one in Oswald!
#21 of 33 Old 05-31-2009, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Have any of you camped near Bend? We're looking at Tumalo State Park and Paulina Lake.
#22 of 33 Old 06-04-2009, 12:40 AM

I like the Jetty's Ferry Fishery on the coast. Can't remember the exact city name though..somewhere around Lincoln City if I remember correctly...

Manzanita, Or is fantastic as well....

Doula mama to artistic DD and monster DS. #3 on the way!
HAVE YOU HEARD OF SQUAT ANARCHIST BIRTH JOURNAL YET?? IF NOT, GOOGLE IT!
#23 of 33 Old 06-04-2009, 06:23 PM

Another vote for Ft. Stevens here! Ft. Stevens is in Warrenton/Hammond area between Seaside and Astoria. We love the walking/biking paths that lead to the beach, lake, and so on. Ft. Stevens is a great family-oriented camping ground with bathrooms and showers. They have yurts too! Another great thing about Ft. Stevens is that it is so close to Seaside. If you get rained out while camping, then you can drive into Seaside (14 miles south) for some indoor fun. :
#24 of 33 Old 06-06-2009, 02:24 AM

OH yeah Fort Stevens in Hammond is nice, too. Though the beaches further south, Manzanita to Florence are just astounding.

Doula mama to artistic DD and monster DS. #3 on the way!
HAVE YOU HEARD OF SQUAT ANARCHIST BIRTH JOURNAL YET?? IF NOT, GOOGLE IT!
#25 of 33 Old 06-29-2009, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

We went to LaPine a few weeks ago and stayed in the cabins. Cute cabins, bad location. This seems like a campsite more for RVs, but it could just be the loop we were on. It was a great central place to explore Bend and the Lava Caves, etc.

We're heading out again this weekend, not sure where though!
#26 of 33 Old 06-30-2009, 06:36 PM

nak
I LOVE waldo lake in the cascades, but that might be a bit far for you. there are also mosquitos, so i'd try to check on what the predicted hatch time is for them there this year. The lake is so beautiful though! And the sites are nice and big. thanks everybody for the good ideas!

Mama to my sweet pea:, can't believe how fast she's growing!
#27 of 33 Old 08-18-2009, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping this. So now that most of the summer has passed, anyone have any new favorite camp spots?

We LOVE Kingfisher, southeast of Estacada. So far it's my new favorite, except they only have pit toilets, which were pretty gross. BUT, it's on a cute little creek small enough for the kids to play on with big sites.
#28 of 33 Old 08-22-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell-Bell View Post
Have any of you camped near Bend? We're looking at Tumalo State Park and Paulina Lake.
I just stumbled upon this thread, and even though its SOO late in the season.. I'll contribute!

Tumalo St. Park... there are some things I like about it (solar water heaters mean hot showers and hot water for dishes! yurts!) but the spots are RIGHT on top of each other. Tumalo also has reserved spots and they get booked. you have to reserve weeks/months in advance. Its a pretty large campground, but they have crammed WAY too many spots in there.

I've not camped at Paulina lake, but Paulina Peak is one of my favorite sight seeing places- I always take out of town guests up there because its so cool.

We just got back from Little Lava lake on the cascade lakes highway. its about 15 minutes past bachelor when coming from Bend. That is one of my very favorite camp grounds. If you ever end up there, see if you can get spot 12. That spot is very long and sort of juts out along the lake and is the most private of the sites. Big lava is ok, elk lake is ok, but for seclusion nobody beats little lava! no reservations there either. we go mid week generally because my husband works weekends and even with every spot filled it was so quiet and peaceful.
heres a picture of our camp site: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1437143280

Suttle lake (north of sisters and black butte ranch, closer to camp sherman) is great too. I think we camped at blue lagoon- blue cove.. something blue.. last year and it was great.

treehugger.gif *CPST*  mama to my three year old DS1 broc1.gif1.31.09 and wedded to angel 8.07  hola.gif

DS 2  waterbirth.jpg 8/18/12!!

#29 of 33 Old 07-12-2010, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping for the new season! Anyone found an Oregon camping spot they love? Anyone been to Fisherman's Bend?
#30 of 33 Old 07-14-2010, 02:38 AM

I saw someone mention Paulina Lake, I enjoyed it there. I also enjoyed Indian Mary down by Merlin. Shady Cove has a nice campground, Rogue Elk, right along the Rogue River.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page