Is the Oregon Country Fair good for children? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-28-2009, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking about going there next year with my ds who will be 6. Safe? Fun?Recommended places to stay and things to bring? Any info would be helpful as well as any and all experiences. I live in Seatle btw.

blessings

Chani
#2 of 7 Old 04-28-2009, 10:33 PM

I think so.. but then my kids were happily wearing horns, fairy wings and nearly naked by the time they were fifty feet inside...

They were three and five that year.
#3 of 7 Old 04-29-2009, 12:30 AM

We brought my DD when she was both 7 months old and 19 months. She loves it and so do we. We live in the area so I can't say where the best place to stay is, although many people camp out there.

There are kid friendly areas and play places. Fun shows to watch and impromptu parades and such.

I'll bet your 6 y.o. would love it. And, yeah, I've never felt anything but safe.
Have fun!

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#4 of 7 Old 04-29-2009, 01:27 AM

I brought my kid when he was 1 yr old and 2 yrs old and plan to bring him every year!

The only thing I would take into consideration is that Saturday is the most *crowded* day and I don't take my little one on Saturday, only on Friday or Sunday.
#5 of 7 Old 04-29-2009, 12:11 PM

We've taken DS each year since he was 3 months old. This year will be his fourth year. I think this year will be the best yet since he'll possibly sit through some of the shows we want to see.

I agree with Lovely, Saturday is WAY too crowded. We are camping and will go to the fair Friday and Sunday, but hang out at the campsite on Saturday. We usually stake a claim to a shaded area in Chela Mela Meadow (sp?)once we do get into the fair, set up a blanket, and use it as a homebase. Half the fun is just people watching, parades come through, etc. It's where they have juggling/hula hoop lessons, etc. so it's a good place to rest between walking around.

I've never felt unsafe, and it's definitely FUN! Bring the usual stuff, water, camera, etc. We bring a wagon to pull Max in when he gets tired (or bored). I always say I'm going to make some fun outfit for him, but I never do. Maybe this year I will!
#6 of 7 Old 05-09-2009, 02:19 AM

I coordinate a crew at the fair and have for several years.
I bring DD and we live out there for a week or more. The fair is a great place for kids

Things to keep in mind:

- Taking the bus in is free if you have a ticket and WAY less stressful than dealing with parking a car.
-There are lots of "campgrounds" in the immediate area (many of which are just someone's farmland that they rent out for the weekend in "sites"). some are designtated as family friendly, you might check those out.
- the earlier suggestion of not going on Saturday if you can help it is a good one. Its a great time, but REALLY REALLY crowded.
- bring water and/or a refillable bottle with you. You will get dehydrated and want it. Trust me.
- If your child gets lost, report to the nearest "info" booth and they will help you.
- cell coverage is spotty, so don't go out there relying on that as your only source of staying in touch.
- the fair is as safe a place as ANYWHERE in the country...but please please please keep an eye out. It is still the real world, and there still could be creepy folks out there. Just use common sense.
- have fun! Its pure magic

happy to answer any other ? you might have
#7 of 7 Old 07-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Hi!  Total newbie here (well for posting anyway) and was bumping this thread to see if anyone here has any more suggestions or ideas for making the Oregon Country Fair fun and successful with kiddies in tow.  I have a 6 year old and 4 year old twins and we're braving the fair with them all this year for the first time!  Have never gone with kids so welcome any & all suggestions.  We will be camping at Zumwalt (which we did last year just my husband and I).  Thought we'd bring our wagon to help lug tired kids and/or gear.  

Ell-Bell, when you set up the blanket/home-base at Chela Mela, do you just leave it there unattended at times?  We're definitely planning on downtimes in chill places when the need arises.  Anyone here use the childcare, and if so were you happy with it?  I think we are planning to skip Sat or only go half day -- maybe just one of us grownups will go, instead.  Playing it by ear, for sure!  

Thanks & happy fairgoing, if any of you here are going this year.  Can't wait!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page