Any Whidbey Island Moms? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 04-28-2009, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New to MDC and wondering if there are any Whidbey Island moms? I'm in Freeland, but any area moms please stop and say HI!!
#2 of 41 Old 04-29-2009, 07:40 PM

Thought I'd say "hi!" even though I'm in Anacortes. I'm Kathryn and have a DD who is 3.5 and expectig a babe at the end of Aug. Welcome to MDC!
#3 of 41 Old 04-30-2009, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome! I had my older son, Owen, in Anacortes. We were in Oak Harbor for years so I am more familiar with Anacortes then the town we live in now!!
#4 of 41 Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

#5 of 41 Old 05-08-2009, 03:00 AM

We're new to Anacortes (moved from FL), so still figuring it out. If you are ever up this way would love to meet. How old is your son?
#6 of 41 Old 05-13-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulamamaOE View Post
Thanks for the welcome! I had my older son, Owen, in Anacortes. We were in Oak Harbor for years so I am more familiar with Anacortes then the town we live in now!!
We are facing a possible move to Oak Harbor-- my dh was offered a job there-- and I would love for you to write a book about it if you want! Do you blog? Can you tell me anything about the homeschooler climate? Is it as military-populated as it looks? (We're not military and I know there is a LOT of understanding that goes between folks who are. I will be clueless.)

I am scared silly. We live in the South Sound now and I just found all the rganic farms / azure drops / homeschoolers. Don't want to move, but might have to.
#7 of 41 Old 05-13-2009, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

I now live on south whidbey, but lived in Oak Harbor for YEARS!! I can tell you most of what you want to know... My kids aren't old enough, so I don't know a whole lot about homeschooling (I haven't decided how I want to school yet, I have time!) ASK AWAY!!

Mamak05- I'd love to get together sometime! My little ones are 2 (on the 31st) and 6 months- Yours?
#8 of 41 Old 05-15-2009, 12:20 AM

I asked some questions!

I am looking now at a house in Langley while my dh works in Oak Harbor. It's a commute, but not as much of a commute as he'd have if we stay here. (We're in GH right now)

:
#9 of 41 Old 05-15-2009, 01:20 PM

I am interested in the arts community.

Farmers markets?

Natural food co-ops / azure drops / exchanges?
#10 of 41 Old 05-15-2009, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

You'll love Langley then! There is a natural foods store there (called the star store) and a farmers market there from may to sept behind the star store. Year round you have to go further, but there is a lot of organic produce available. There is a natural food co-op too, but I'll have to ask to get info for you. I have no idea what azure drops are : There is a huge arts community here, mostly on the south end of the island. North Whidbey is more commercial and military, south whidbey is very crunchy. If you do choose Oak Harbor you wont be too lost, its an easy to get along in town, but it sounds like south whidbey would probably be a better fit. Where is you DH going to be working? My DH works in OH too, so I can tell you the commute isn't too bad, We're about 10 minutes closer in Freeland though. It's nice here too, and most people go between langley and freeland pretty often. We also have a free bus that is pretty nice, I like not wasting gas all the time... Like I said, my kids are little so I don't know much about the homeschooling scene, I know there are co-ops but not sure who/ where etc... I love it here.
#11 of 41 Old 05-17-2009, 04:52 PM

I grew up on Whidbey. We lived in Langley, Oak Harbor, and Coupeville. Each town is different. Langley is my favorite place. Oak Harbor is more commercial, but I loved being close to Deception pass. I didn't care for the Oak Harbor School district back then (it's been awhile!), but it may have gotten better. I don't know about homeschools though.

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
#12 of 41 Old 05-18-2009, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshadow View Post
I grew up on Whidbey. We lived in Langley, Oak Harbor, and Coupeville. Each town is different. Langley is my favorite place. Oak Harbor is more commercial, but I loved being close to Deception pass. I didn't care for the Oak Harbor School district back then (it's been awhile!), but it may have gotten better. I don't know about homeschools though.

Welcome!! Where are you now? Glad to hear from you, more input on the Island is always good!!
#13 of 41 Old 05-19-2009, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

#14 of 41 Old 05-19-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Welcome!! Where are you now? Glad to hear from you, more input on the Island is always good!!
I am in Seattle now. We hope to move back to the island, someday. Maybe once the economy picks up and we can sell our house for what we paid.

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
#15 of 41 Old 05-21-2009, 11:47 AM

Oh, yay! I haven't been on MDC for a while -- I've asked a few times for Whidbey moms but no one answered. I'm moving to Coupeville at the beginning of July, we bought a house right in town. My kiddos are 2.5 years and 3.5 (will be almost 5) months! Hope to meet up with some of y'all...I'll go ahead and subscribe to this thread in case I forget to come back and check.

Anyone have a pediatrician to recommend? I need to decide on my health insurance in the next day or so, so if there's a great ped (or family doc) I want to make sure I get the plan that covers him or her. We're pretty mainstream for the most part, but I know that life is easier when the pediatrician supports your parenting choices like extended breastfeeding and attachment parenting.
#16 of 41 Old 05-21-2009, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison_in_oh View Post
Oh, yay! I haven't been on MDC for a while -- I've asked a few times for Whidbey moms but no one answered. I'm moving to Coupeville at the beginning of July, we bought a house right in town. My kiddos are 2.5 years and 3.5 (will be almost 5) months! Hope to meet up with some of y'all...I'll go ahead and subscribe to this thread in case I forget to come back and check.

Anyone have a pediatrician to recommend? I need to decide on my health insurance in the next day or so, so if there's a great ped (or family doc) I want to make sure I get the plan that covers him or her. We're pretty mainstream for the most part, but I know that life is easier when the pediatrician supports your parenting choices like extended breastfeeding and attachment parenting.
I LOVE our DR in Freeland. It's about 20 minutes from Coupeville, but I think he's worth it- Dr. Wagner. He's a little older, but a total hippie. Well informed, tolerant, and GREAT with the kids!! He is accepting about everything we do (I do vax though, so I don't know if non-vaxers have issues?) as long as he can tell I know my stuff and have a plan (ie- he supported me co-sleeping as long as I had a reason and a plan for how long etc) PM me if you want the number to the office. I DO NOT recommend the pediatric associates in Oak Harbor... I haven't seen anyone in Coupeville... WELCOME!!
#17 of 41 Old 05-21-2009, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone want to plan a get together at the park? The weather is getting nice, and a picnic could be fun...??
#18 of 41 Old 05-21-2009, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=alison_in_oh;13803245]Oh, yay! I haven't been on MDC for a while -- I've asked a few times for Whidbey moms but no one answered. I'm moving to Coupeville at the beginning of July, we bought a house right in town. My kiddos are 2.5 years and 3.5 (will be almost 5) months! Hope to meet up with some of y'all...I'll go ahead and subscribe to this thread in case I forget to come back and check. QUOTE]

Our kids are almost the same age. DS1 will be two next week, and DS2 is 6 months...
#19 of 41 Old 05-22-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I LOVE our DR in Freeland. It's about 20 minutes from Coupeville, but I think he's worth it- Dr. Wagner. He's a little older, but a total hippie. Well informed, tolerant, and GREAT with the kids!! He is accepting about everything we do (I do vax though, so I don't know if non-vaxers have issues?) as long as he can tell I know my stuff and have a plan (ie- he supported me co-sleeping as long as I had a reason and a plan for how long etc) PM me if you want the number to the office. I DO NOT recommend the pediatric associates in Oak Harbor... I haven't seen anyone in Coupeville... WELCOME!!
We vax too, and that sounds like just the level of support I'm looking for! I looked him up and he's on our insurance and is affiliated with Whidbey General -- yay! Thanks for the recommendation, and for the warning against the OH group.

I hope we can meet up once I am up there!
#20 of 41 Old 05-24-2009, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison_in_oh View Post
We vax too, and that sounds like just the level of support I'm looking for! I looked him up and he's on our insurance and is affiliated with Whidbey General -- yay! Thanks for the recommendation, and for the warning against the OH group.

I hope we can meet up once I am up there!
The only bummer is that he shares on-call duty with the other doctors... It's only a big deal if you go to the emergency room, and they aren't awful, just not very tolerant.

One of them told me to watch for down syndrome when my 2 day old was floppy (because he was asleep)... I was so put off... You don't "watch for" down syndrome, and that doesn't even make sense!!
#21 of 41 Old 06-03-2009, 03:18 PM

Yay! Whidbey mommas!:

I am a Candian moving to Whidbey in August--we are house-hunting next week, looking at OH, Coupeville and Anacortes. My DDs are 3 and 16 mos. I'd be delighted to meet other MDC moms when we hit town--anyone have any strong opinions about where we should live, between the three? I'm originally from Victoria, so I'm familiar with the coast, but not Whidbey.

Cheers,
Andrea in NS, soon to be in WA
#22 of 41 Old 06-04-2009, 09:53 PM

You should move to Coupeville so you can hang out with me.

No, seriously, my first thought is that there is about 45 minutes between those cities. Will someone be commuting, and to where?

Secondly, the closer you are to Oak Harbor the more the noise issues come into play. Our realtor had a map on his wall detailing the areas impacted by the air traffic at the base. It's kind of fascinating really, the jets take off and then turn, blasting their afterburners, and the noise "shadow" reflects this. (I can highly recommend my realtor, BTW, who is based in Coupeville but is a native and expert on the whole island!)

Other than that I don't know the area well enough to recommend much. Have fun visiting and good luck house hunting!
#23 of 41 Old 06-05-2009, 02:53 PM

Funny you should say that, Alison; we are leaning toward Coupeville. We have to lease, and we love the house there--except it isn't fenced yet. My DH will be commuting to Oak Harbor, so all three towns are reasonable. We can't wait to see the island--it's been a huge stress not knowing where we will be living, since we're moving in less than a month!

----Andrea with a DH and two DDs, contemplating a two-week drive across the continent.
#24 of 41 Old 06-06-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkiemum View Post
Funny you should say that, Alison; we are leaning toward Coupeville. We have to lease, and we love the house there--except it isn't fenced yet. My DH will be commuting to Oak Harbor, so all three towns are reasonable. We can't wait to see the island--it's been a huge stress not knowing where we will be living, since we're moving in less than a month!

----Andrea with a DH and two DDs, contemplating a two-week drive across the continent.
Oh my gosh. I don't envy you! I am wallowing in self-pity because we anticipate a 3-4 day drive with my infant and preschooler at the end of the month (Moving Day is July 1!)

Not fenced *yet* so the landlord would be fencing soon? If you're from Victoria I think you are going to love Whidbey. I've only visited Whidbey once, but we've spent a lot of time in the San Juan Islands and the scenery is very similar.
#25 of 41 Old 06-07-2009, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

First let me just say I'M SO EXCITED THERE ARE SO MANY WHIDBEY MOMS ON HERE!!!! I live in Freeland, but have lived in Oak Harbor most of my life. I like it a lot, and depending on your personality any could be a good fit! Is your DH Canadian Navy? There is a pretty good community of CA navy in Oak Harbor (35 families, I think?)
#26 of 41 Old 06-11-2009, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

#27 of 41 Old 06-12-2009, 12:41 AM

I'm really curious what birthing families do in the islands. We're vacationing in the San Juans again this year with an eye to possibly moving to Orcas or Lopez. Are there any homebirthers there? Or do most folks head to the hospital in Anacortez?

I've got a babe coming in Feb, and have a history of super short labors so I'm really wondering about the logistics of it all.

Kat

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#28 of 41 Old 06-12-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahkat View Post
I'm really curious what birthing families do in the islands. We're vacationing in the San Juans again this year with an eye to possibly moving to Orcas or Lopez. Are there any homebirthers there? Or do most folks head to the hospital in Anacortez?

I've got a babe coming in Feb, and have a history of super short labors so I'm really wondering about the logistics of it all.

Kat
Well, Whidbey has Whidbey General Hospital. I also think I found a homebirth midwife who covers Coupeville (out of curiosity only, as we aren't planning to have any more babies at this point!) For the San Juans, my best guess is that women in labor get priority loading on the ferry and go to Island Hospital in Anacortes. Congrats on the pregnancy, and enjoy your vacation!
#29 of 41 Old 06-15-2009, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahkat View Post

Kat
We have the most amazing midwife here on Whidbey Island (and she has a clinic in Anacortes and serves the Islands) and I will never birth with anyone else again!! PM me if you want her info. There are also several others in the area that, I believe, will travel to the San Juans for births. If you have a history of short ones, call early, or plan on Island Hospital (though I had my first son there, I am not a big fan after receiving MW model of care.)

There are lots of homebirthing moms in the area, and I *think* but am not positive that there is a midwife on Orcas (I could find out if you'd like). One way or another, there are options besides the hospital.
#30 of 41 Old 06-15-2009, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

I should add she also has a birth center in Greenbank (just south of Coupeville) so you don't *have* to have a homebirth with her. My son was born in the birthcenter and it's beautiful, tucked in the woods and the grounds are gorgeous and immaculate. Can you tell I'm a fan of this lady/ place?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page