What's fun in Eastern WA? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-05-2009, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my DH is talking about getting away for a couple of days next month, and I thought maybe we'd like to head in a new and unfamiliar direction -- east from our near-Seattle location. (We're not WA natives, so we haven't explored everything yet. Anyone got some great ideas for what we should check out? What little-known stuff is great to see and do out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 02:21 PM

Fun! I live in Central WA. What kinds of things do you like to do? I love the Spokane area, Leavensworth is a fun getaway, Lake Chelan is gorgeous this time of year, really depends what you'd like to do.

Where did you guys come from? I'm originally from BC but I've lived here 14 yrs. now so I'm fairly familiar with the area.

Meghan, mom to 11yo, 8yo, and 3yo 

Old 06-06-2009, 11:28 PM

-
Old 06-06-2009, 11:37 PM

In spokane you could go to riverfront park, manito park, cat tales, mobius childrens museum or riverside state park.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:20 AM

It'd be easy to take a trip to Leavenworth/Wenatchee, visit the Rocky Reach Dam, Museum of the Columbia, the Pioner Village and the Aplets and Cotlets factory/store in Cashmere, go to LEavenworth and window shop, play at the Riverfront Park, and go on all kindds of beautiful hikes. I'd recommend staying at Sleeping Lady Resort in Leavenworth, but there's lots of camping and other hotels and places to stay.

We also love Winthrop/Twisp area. The Sun Mountain Lodge is lovely, but we also like the Chewuch Inn, which is walking distance to the village, and has cute simple little cabins and a wonderful breakfast every day. And the owners are super nice. There's all kinds of outdoorsy stuff to do in Winthrop- horse riding is big, and fly fishing and hiking.... there's a natural health/yoga yurt kind og retreat up there too, though I can't remember the name.

Coulee/Soap Lake makes a good trip, too. Camping is nice, there's lots of hiking and swimming and if the dam tours are going it's interesting. They do a laser show on the side of the dam at night, which is pretty fun.

Of course Yakima is nice, too! We've got a nice museum, there's beautiful hikes, a huge, public observatory an hour away in Goldendale,
the Yakama Nation cultural center 30 minutes away in Toppenish, and the train museum, amazing wineries all over the place, and tons of festivals all summer long.

What kinds of things do you like to do?
Old 06-07-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmarie42 View Post
lol good question. I just moved to Pullman from south of Seattle. I'm still trying to figure out how people survive over here.
Heh, you don't want to know what the high school kids did to keep themselves occupied. I think most folks try to escape when/if they can... out of my class of 143 people back then, there might be maybe a dozen of them still living in the area. My mom's still there waiting out for her retirement to kick in at some point in the next few years hopefully.

You just have to get creative, and be willing to head to Moscow, Lewiston or Spokane for certain things. The farmer's market in Moscow is pretty cool - I wish I could get the cookie folks to give me their recipe... There's also a little u-pick place just south of Moscow I believe - google Mary Jane's farm. Sucks that I only learned about some of this fun stuff long *after* I moved away, but hey, whatcha gonna do.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
Old 06-08-2009, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamas! These are great ideas. I'm excited to go check this stuff out. Usually when we're going to get away we go down to Oregon or up to Vancouver, but we thought this time we'd take the road less traveled by and see what we find.

And, Canadiyank, we moved here from Tennessee a few years ago. I think I'd know the area better if we knew some Washington natives. It seems practically nobody in the Seattle area is actually from here! But we're determined to check it out for ourselves.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:56 PM

Just an idea too if you are interested....Southern BC has some amazing places just north of the border. The Okanagan Valley for wineries and stunning views and lakes and further east for beautiful mountains and hot springs in the Kootneys. You can head north from Spokane and find some really interesting places. I'm from BC as well and have been just about everywhere in western Canada and the US. I could write a few brochures I'm sure lol.

I highly suggest visiting the Okanagan and going east from there to the Slocan Valley and seeing places like Kaslo and Nelson and coming back through Idaho and eastern WA.

knit.gifsewmachine.gifintactivist.giftreehugger.gif mama to one DS and one DD, equally amazing.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:08 PM

Oh no, I lost a good post. Phooey. I'm from SE BC (Kootenays) and that's gorgeous but it would be a several day trip from Seattle and back. I'd plan a week with kids. But yeah, definitely go sometime, it's so beautiful in that area and tons to do!

If I were you I'd go to Leavensworth for a day, and then head up to lake Chelan for a day. You'll get a wide variety of landscape and things to do. I lived in Cashmere for a year and you could stop by the Aplets and Cotlets factory for a tour and some delicious samples.

Another time I'd get over to Spokane, Cour d'Alene, Sandpoint. Another time Ellensburg, Yakima, etc. There's lots of fun and beautiful places. I love WA and BC!

Check this site out - seems to have some good information. http://www.experiencewa.com/

Meghan, mom to 11yo, 8yo, and 3yo 

User Tag List