Has Portland Tidee Didee ripped you off? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2009, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm feeling ripped off a second time with Tidee Didee... if there was any other service or my grandmother wasn't paying for it, I probably wouldn't have done the service with my second daughter. But they said I was like 20 dipes short the first time and meanwhile DH had mixed in our own stash of DSQ dipes in with the TD dipes and so really I returned more than I received. I just sucked it up and paid because I didn't want to fight at the time. But now they are saying I am 54 dipes short. 54! I bought only unbleached for myself so they couldn't get mixed up, and I have no white dipes anywhere in my house, and sadly didn't leave the house enough in that time period to have left them anywhere.

I'm getting the feeling this is the standard MO, but I don't know who else uses Tidee Didee to compare. Anyone else have a similar thing happen?

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 02:09 AM

lame!!

i had tidee didee service for 3 months when isaac was born. it was a shower gift. i never had any problems, but then i had it such a short time.

i'd write them a letter and say everything that you wrote here. you paid, feeling like there was no other option, but you know that it is impossible for you to have misplaced 54 diapers (that's like an entire bag!!), and that you believe they have mistaken your pickup with someone else's. (do they number the bags or something? i can't remember.) i'd also let them know that you have lost part of your personal diaper stash to them. maybe with a letter they'll give you a credit or something. have you checked with the better business bureau to see if they've had a lot of similar complaints?
Old 06-19-2009, 04:05 AM

I had the same problem with them both times I used them. They would nickel and dime me - saying I was a few diapers short each week, until the end I was supposedly dozens in the hole. WHERE were all these missing diapers going?! Yes, I think it's a common scam with them.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:40 AM

We had them for 3 months (gift from parents) when Mad was born and never had any problems. Do you think that someone could have taken a bag off your porch?

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
Old 06-22-2009, 03:44 AM

Yes, that happened to me too. We received it as a shower gift as well, and canceled after the 3 months was up because we wanted to use our own. They sent us a bill for something like 16 missing diapers, I called them, they said they'd look into it, and called back about a week later to tell me that they had somehow found the diapers and we didn't owe anything. As if someone recounted all the poopy diapers to find the errant few that we supposedly were hoarding from them! It kind of makes me giggle to think about it...I agree, this is probably a common scam, and you should just call them to see what they say. I'd be interested to hear the result.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

They just called and said that they couldn't account for missing diapers and neither could I, so they just zeroed out my account. So that's a relief! I feel less bitter about them now.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:29 PM

so wait, they weren't really missing 56 diapers? Am I reading that right?

Leslie-mom to Carson and Madison :, Sage Tree :, and Buckbeak, Tonks, and Luna
Old 06-24-2009, 02:38 AM

Bizarro...

Jennifer, Mama to Mila (5/14/2002) & : Gael (11/30/06), wife to Tony
Old 06-25-2009, 03:46 AM

i know many other ppl who report the same thing... i was expecting a problem since one time they mixed my bag with a neighbor's (and never understood that), but they never contacted me about any missing, so i just paid and was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarstella View Post
I'm feeling ripped off a second time with Tidee Didee... if there was any other service or my grandmother wasn't paying for it, I probably wouldn't have done the service with my second daughter. But they said I was like 20 dipes short the first time and meanwhile DH had mixed in our own stash of DSQ dipes in with the TD dipes and so really I returned more than I received. I just sucked it up and paid because I didn't want to fight at the time. But now they are saying I am 54 dipes short. 54! I bought only unbleached for myself so they couldn't get mixed up, and I have no white dipes anywhere in my house, and sadly didn't leave the house enough in that time period to have left them anywhere.

I'm getting the feeling this is the standard MO, but I don't know who else uses Tidee Didee to compare. Anyone else have a similar thing happen?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 PM

I never could figure out the count either. I either had too many or not enough and every week was a different total of dipes. I did it for 2 months and I didn't end up owing any money so I wasn't too annoyed at the time.

Did anyone see the Dirty Jobs episode where Mike was the diaper sorter/counter at Tidee Didee? That was hilarious! And annoying, because the diapers were sorted individually by the bag one at a time so any personal items like covers, wipes, other dipes, snappis etc. could have been pulled out but I hear they NEVER return anything sent in by accident. But I saw a post somewhere from another diaper service owner saying that the episode wasn't totally accurate because there was a diaper counting machine in the background of the shot and probably they didn't count by hand anyway. Who knows? Is the machine more accurate than the man?

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
Old 06-26-2009, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Haha... I actually signed up for the discovery forum *just* to recommend that Dirty Jobs go to Tidee Didee. I like to think I played a part because while there were tons of threads about going to a diaper service, I was the only one I saw who actually gave the name of a company. Of course they went to the San Francisco one. Anyway, I watched it just to see how they count the incoming diapers. I guess they had to make it more dirty for the show? I really wonder how accurate the machine is vs man, too. The amount of washing made me realize that washing them myself is likely better or the same for the environment. I had my grandmother cancel the service once I got a handle on the laundry and a couple loads of dipes was not a problem.

The record keeping is really shabby. They sent me my count record and it was a spread sheet with numbers but it didn't even have my name or account number on it. I think they realize this, and if anyone got mad enough to take them to small claims court, they would lose. It makes me want to target them as a potential client. (we provide IT services to small companies to make them more efficient)

Old 06-28-2009, 06:12 PM

This happened to me and my neighbor. I think it's their m.o. and unless you throw a fit, they are going to get away with it enough of the time for it to be profitable.

Both of us were able to get them to correct it, but it took a fight.

I've heard of lots of other people too. I think the attorney general should check it out.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Huh, that sucks to hear about your disappointments with them! We've been using them for over 3 yrs now & have never had a problem. They've always been awesome for us.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
Huh, that sucks to hear about your disappointments with them! We've been using them for over 3 yrs now & have never had a problem. They've always been awesome for us.
But that's the point....they're fine while you're using the service, but once you cancel they tell you that you haven't returned diapers and charge you for them.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Oh, I see. Well, I guess I'll find out when we cancel. Which probably won't be for several more years since we have a new diaperling coming in Oct.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 06-30-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
Oh, I see. Well, I guess I'll find out when we cancel. Which probably won't be for several more years since we have a new diaperling coming in Oct.
Congratulations!!!:

You might want to consider "settling up" with them before the baby comes, so you have an accurate, agreed up number of diapers without any so-called lost ones before you start fresh with the new baby. Then it won't be so long of a time/impossible-to-account for number of diapers. Or gear up by talking to them about it a few months before you are ready to cancel.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:34 PM

We had them for 3 months as well from my parents as a gift before moving on to washing them ourselves and didn't have any problems at all.

I would think it would be cheaper just to deal with them yourself if they are being stupid with you. Crazy.

Kathy Soup
Loving wife to an amazing SAHD : Mommy to Aviendha 01/19/09
Old 07-01-2009, 04:28 AM

How bizarre! I used their services for several months with Maddy and had no problems, we loved our experience so much that when people asked us what to get for Karis we asked for a week of diapers. We ended up getting five weeks after she was born and had no problems then, either. I feel pretty lucky after reading all your stories, what a bummer and how annoying to have to deal with that AND care for a newborn, what a waste of that precious brand new yummy babyhood time! Anyway, just wanted to throw it out there that our experience was really a positive one.....
Old 07-02-2009, 03:22 AM

We also had a really good experience with them. We used them for about 10 months, from the time DD was a newborn until I bought my own stash of Fuzzi Bunz and started washing them myself. I had heard that they could be difficult at the time of cancellation, but we didn't have any trouble at all.

Mama to a daughter (3/2008) and a son (7/2011)
Old 02-28-2012, 04:39 PM

Absolutely!  I read several other accounts on-line but since there are no other diaper services in the area I decided to try them anyway.  We moved and once I stopped service I immediately got a bill for 15 missing diapers.  I had several times where my diapers were mis-counted on delivery and tried to address it each time.  Needless to say, I kept close count.  I would have believed maybe up to 3 or 5 missing over the course of a year, but 15?  I called and was told that they charge in case I decided to keep some, but since I claimed not to have any they would reverse the charge.  Of course, the whole reason I was using the service was because I didn't WANT to do my own diapers.  Definitely a standard scam with Tidee Didee.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:36 PM

I was wondering where you are located as there is another Diaper Service in the Portland metro area. Reliable Diaper Services has been serving Portland and Columbia County for 1.5 years. We make all the cloth diapers from quality cotton fabrics. All diapers are made by the owner and her assistant. We provide friendly service and have never had a complaint.

We strive to make your cloth diapering experience a good one.

We can be found at reliablediaperservices.com or by e-mail at [email protected]

Karen

Reliable Diaper Services

503-396-3567

Old 08-22-2012, 09:15 AM

Reliablediapers -- do you have to remove the solids prior to putting them in the bags?

Old 08-22-2012, 01:19 PM

We request that once your child starts having solid BM's that you shake it out into the toilet. You don't have to rinse it after just throw it in the bag. We try to make it as easy as possible for you. The reason we ask the solids be shaken out is that the BM will eat the fabric of the diaper. You can also grab the solids with the wipee and toss it in the trash if you want.

Thank You for your inquiry.

Karen

User Tag List