new to tacoma: babysitters, playgroups, docs etc - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-27-2009, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. We just moved to Tacoma on Wednesday (from Pennsylvania). I have a 7 year old, and a 2 1/2 year old. I couldn't find a general tacoma thread (but if there is one please redirect me). I would be interested in finding out lots of information. But the most immediate one is any suggestions how to go about finding babysitters (we have no grandparents or other family around ) Also, any insight on schools (our neighborhood one is Grant), recommendations on peds, or playgroups that we might look into to meet other families. Thanks in advance for your guidance.
#2 of 8 Old 07-09-2009, 03:10 AM

Hi, I am also in North Tacoma and could meet you sometime at Jefferson Park. I have two kids ages 7 (son) and 4 (daughter).
#3 of 8 Old 07-10-2009, 12:34 AM

Welcome to the Puget Sound! Grant is a great school of the arts. Also there is Washington Hoyt which is a wonderful school in the North End, by the Wheelock Library. Also, there is the Tacoma Village School which is a parent run co-op school. Head up to the Proctor Farmer's Market on Saturday's for fun, entertainment and yummy food. There is a LLL of North Tacoma which meets at the Wheelock Library and the University of Puget Sound has a student employment center which lists students who are babysitters/tutors, etc. It is probably pretty quiet around UPS right now, since school isn't in session, but call them in August/Sept and they can email you a list.

Welcome to the Northwest and PM me if you have any other questions,

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#4 of 8 Old 07-10-2009, 04:49 PM

Go to meetup.com and there are a couple of AP playgroups in the area.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#5 of 8 Old 07-28-2009, 09:01 PM

Welcome to Tacoma...it's always great to have more "Mothering Moms" join us here :-) .

I wanted to write and invite you to our next meeting of the Holistic Moms Network! Have you heard of the national organization? It's all about sharing information and creating support and community for moms interested in holistic health, green living, and conscious parenting. We started a chapter here in Tacoma just a few months ago and always love to have new moms join us!

Our next meeting is this Thursday, July 30th from 6:30 - 8:30 pm. We'll be having a group discussion on "Living Holistically on a Budget" which should be fun and give us all an opportunity to share our tips with each other! Everyone in the family is welcome to attend, including infants, children, and husbands. We meet at Bates Technical College, South Campus, @ 2201 S 78th St , in the Home and Family Life Building. If you can't make this meeting, but want to stay updated on future meetings and events, you can visit our local chapter website at http://home.homewebs.com/hmntacomawa/

Hope to meet you soon!

Laelle - living my dream life : :, very happily married , and expecting our first : in Aug/Sept. '09 : : :
#6 of 8 Old 09-12-2009, 05:18 PM

Hi Mamas! We moved to Tacoma this past Spring. I live just south of downtown, fairly close to Lincoln Park. I am really looking to get out and meet some other mamas who think out of the box, as we mothering mamas tend to

We go to the Main Library once a week, and the Broadway Farmers Market each Thurs.... I'd be game to go to LLL if anyone knows of one that is more in my area. I rely on Public Transportation to get around so going up to Wheelock is a bit of a stretch for me.

I haven't posted here in ages and am not sure what my siggy says anymore LOL so FYI I'm mama to three - DD1 6.5 DD2 4 and DS 1.5 My daughters are attending Rising Tides School in Oly three days a week this year so it'll just be me and DS for half the week, I really can't imagine what it is going to be like ... I think I'd better try to keep busy!
#7 of 8 Old 09-12-2009, 06:48 PM

Our oldest just started Grant this fall in Kindergarten, and she loves it. I think that the arts focus is just amazing. They teach kids how to sing in harmony, the fourth graders learn violin and learn how to read music, and the fifth graders have a math segment where they take field trips to historic buildings and learn how to draw up floor plans. We also toured Bryant and Lowell. I really liked Bryant, but Montessouri education would probably not have worked well on my kid. Lowell has a great rep and we have friends who have kids there and love it. It seemed pretty much inside the box education to me, though, and I guess we were just looking for something different. Washington-Hoyt also has a great reputation and great test scores.

I wish I could tell you how to get good babysitters. If you find out, let me know. I can tell you not to use Craigs List. Maybe you have a teenaged neighbor?

As for peds, we see Dr. Kirk Starr at Pediatrics NW. I have been very impressed with the practice in general. I have a friend with a son and circumcision was never discussed, just proper cleaning and a warning never to let a dr. retract his foreskin. We don't vax, and our dr. is not thrilled with that, but respects our decision and never brings up the issue unless I have a question. I have found that the practice in general is pretty common sense, trusting of parents instincts, and hands off unless absolutely necessary - so if they tell you the kid needs to be seen, the kid really needs to be seen. Also, they have limited office hours on weekends, which was great when dd1 got sick, couldn't hold down water, hadn't peed, and was throwing up every half hour - saved us a scary, exhausting, expensive trip to the ER! I know there are some other great practices in Tacoma, too. I'm sure others can chime in.

If you need a chiropractor, I can't say enough about Cathryn Woon at Woon's Healing Arts. She is just fabulous, kind, smart, insightful, you name it. And the kids absolutely adore her.

Oh, and I would also recommend our dentist - Greg Zimmer. He is out in Brown's Point, but it is worth the drive. He is very practical, doesn't do flouride treatments on young kids, doesn't push unncessary treatments, and is very willing to work with budgets. Oh, and not only does his office run on time, but one day when he was late, they called to let me know to come 20 min late to my appointment. That was very cool.

ETA: Playgroups I can't really help you with either, as we made a network of friends through dd1's preschool that seem to stand us in good stead, but I can say the children's museum (free first friday of the month) and the zoo are great places to go hang out with the kids. Also, dh usually takes dd2 to storytime at the main library on Mondays at 10:30 (I think it starts up again in October) and there are usually a lot of littles there.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#8 of 8 Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 PM

Hello and welcome to Tacoma! I've lived here almost three years and I love it. My dd is 2 yo and we go to TCC. I don't take her to any playgroups because I am so busy with work and school but should probably start to find time for that.

Rebecca - Single mom to one perfect DD and one not so perfect dog.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page