Official PDX July thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 125 Old 07-15-2009, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had Ryan reserve me a room at the Kennedy school for Friday night so that I can have my first babyfree day since Nico was born!! Anyone want to meet up? I'll have access to the soaking pool I would LOVE to be able to hang out with my mama friends for my milestone night out.

Sara ~ one dh + one 5yo boy + baby in 2011
#62 of 125 Old 07-16-2009, 01:47 AM

I have totes been thinking about getting myself a room somewhere lately. I'd want a whole weekend tho. And I'd just want to sequester myself away from the world and rotate between napping, sleeping, reading, and drinking.
#63 of 125 Old 07-16-2009, 02:49 AM

Oh man, I wish so much! Cliff totally doesn't understand all the reasons why I wanted to wait longer to have baby #2, this is just one of them. I'm happy I have Amelia, and I know I'm half of the baby making equation... but it's really hard to turn down a manly man getting sappy about having another baby. Oh well... in a year or two, I'll get my vacay too.

Today was full of Amelia playing the dropping game (I drop it, you pick it up, I drop it, you don't pick it up, I cry until you pick it up) and Amelia leaning all over the place when I held her and then I'd put her down and she'd either cry about it, or immediately fall on her face and cry about that. I took the girls to Sellwood Pool, which was LOUD and splashy and bright and Amelia hated it for the first 30 min. I nursed her and held her close with my hand over her ear and she sort of dozed while Maddy tried to communicate about where she wanted to go and I couldn't hear a word she said. Then Amelia woke up and enjoyed herself a little. I'm so glad Cliff picked us up because it was a long walk from the bus stop to the pool. Then we got birth cert paperwork notarized at the bank and the girls were actually completely content in their toy corner. I found myself brainstorming reasons to hang out at the bank. Oh and then I completely missed the westmoreland farmer's market which I really wanted to go to this week. I neeeed produce!

My bedroom has had laundry spread all over it since the weekend, and once again I am too tired to do anything about it. I keep meaning to take care of it when Amelia falls asleep, but by the time she's down, I'm down too. Or just too tired to do anything that requires any amount of bending.

I'm just ranting. Tomorrow will be a fun day of turning in notarized paperwork and finally getting that produce I need. I'm trying to get the girls all official (Maddy was officially a bastard :, stupid midwife) before our trip to Chicago. Chicago will be sort of a vacation. A vacation from housework, at least! I found my matron-of-honor dress at Silver Lining (consignment in SE) for $35, in the middle of a Maddy meltdown. Score! Maddy just needed food, which we promptly got at Adobe Rose. Then we ran into Joey and the gang, which was awesome even though Talula refused to look at us or speak to us.

Now I'm going to sneak off to the baby forum for a refresher on what I shouldn't be feeding Amelia, since she wants to eat everything.

I'm a proud mama of two girls! 4/30/06 Madeline, 09/25/08 Amelia
--**I'm here to share my mistakes and learn from yours**--
#64 of 125 Old 07-16-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarstella View Post

Now I'm going to sneak off to the baby forum for a refresher on what I shouldn't be feeding Amelia, since she wants to eat everything.
so what did her middle name turn out to be?

#65 of 125 Old 07-16-2009, 11:20 AM

That Talula's such a snob.
#66 of 125 Old 07-16-2009, 11:30 PM

It is now officially summer- the door to door sales people are out in mass. :
I just told the fourth one this week no we do not need whatever it is you are selling. I have had two different cleaners, a supplement your child's education with these giant textbooks and now some educational video guy.
There use to be a no solicitors sign up at the entrance to our housing complex, but someone spray painted it and the landlord hasn't replaced it. I may have to hang up my own if he doesn't get a new one up soon.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#67 of 125 Old 07-16-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancoda View Post
It is now officially summer- the door to door sales people are out in mass. :
I just told the fourth one this week no we do not need whatever it is you are selling. I have had two different cleaners, a supplement your child's education with these giant textbooks and now some educational video guy.
There use to be a no solicitors sign up at the entrance to our housing complex, but someone spray painted it and the landlord hasn't replaced it. I may have to hang up my own if he doesn't get a new one up soon.
And they are RUDE and argue with you when you tell them you are not interested!!!
#68 of 125 Old 07-17-2009, 01:02 AM

We hardly ever get solicitors... we get Ospirg sometimes, we got a few democrats during election time, and Clear came twice, I think because they have a distributer down the street. We live on a weird little dead end street, though. If we had that many people coming to the door, I'd definitely put a sign up!

Amelia's middle name is Bea.

#69 of 125 Old 07-18-2009, 12:56 AM

I think I am of the opinion that family should not be added to your facebook page. :
#70 of 125 Old 07-18-2009, 01:11 AM

Hi Mamas,
I am not new to MDC but have lurked in this forum for some time. I have two girls (4 yrs and 16 months), am a SAHM in NE Portland and am feeling the need to connect with other mamas. Cyber connection isn't my first choice, but if it will give me some adult conversation during the day I'll take it. This may be the key to keeping my sanity : )

Caitlin
#71 of 125 Old 07-18-2009, 02:31 AM

My girls are in a tent in the backyard. Being quiet! Either they are happily pretending that is their own house and they are "wild kids" in Naia's words...or they actually fell asleep! Oh my god. I can't let them sleep alone in the backyard. Josie would probably wake up in the middle of the night and forget where she was and not be able to get out of the tent.

I'm going to have to carry them upstairs before I go to bed. Why can't my man be home for this? He's off having a man date.
#72 of 125 Old 07-18-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniT View Post
I think I am of the opinion that family should not be added to your facebook page.
I saw that dimetap comment.. UGH. GROAN. Why can't they just not say anything?

Welcome, Caitlin! I have a three year old and a 9 month old, in SE Portland. This has been a sanity saver for me many times. And sometimes there are impromptu coffee dates that you find you can actually make it to!

Nadine, why is it that our men are always absent at times like this? My day sucked so bad... Amelia dove on some concrete and has a big gash in her forehead. This happened at like 9:30 this morning so it pretty much shot the whole day down. And since I wasn't paying enough attention to Maddy she ate nearly 2 pints of berries and then had diarrhea all over the bathroom floor, because she has recently learned to tie but not untie and she had tied the drawstring of her shorts too tight and couldn't pull them down. Then she quietly came all the way downstairs, dripping poop the whole way, to tell me about it. And it was so hot I couldn't think straight. I'm so glad it's the weekend! And it's supposed to cool down for a couple days!

And I really should be sleeping. My bedroom is still covered in laundry... but at least it's clean laundry.

#73 of 125 Old 07-18-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylaboo View Post
Hi Mamas,
I am not new to MDC but have lurked in this forum for some time. I have two girls (4 yrs and 16 months), am a SAHM in NE Portland and am feeling the need to connect with other mamas. Cyber connection isn't my first choice, but if it will give me some adult conversation during the day I'll take it. This may be the key to keeping my sanity : )

Caitlin
Welcome, Caitlin! I live about an hour out of Portland but I like to hang out here because of all the great people
Speaking of great people, I got to meet Arwyn, Gary, and Brisen last night. Oh, that child is so beautiful. All I wanted to do was play with his hair (ok, and maybe talk to his mom too )

Hope you all are staying cool in this crazy hot weather. It was 85 degrees in my house before 10am yesterday. :

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#74 of 125 Old 07-18-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarstella View Post
I saw that dimetap comment.. UGH. GROAN. Why can't they just not say anything?
Yes my brother is a UAV. (why can I say that but I can't say he is an idiot? How is one different from the other really?) Anyway... He has yet to escape my mother's drug everything upbringing. I don't know how many times I came home from school when Amanda was a baby (I went to Heald) and my mom would be.. "Oh she was fussy so I gave her some tylonal. She must be teething." :
#75 of 125 Old 07-19-2009, 02:55 PM

: Hi, everyone! I'm back home, and so glad of it! Only I wish it were cooler...

We decided this morning it would be a good time to scrub out the refrigerator...since it is practically empty. Next chore is grocery shopping (we've already unpacked and started the laundry).

I'm really hoping to catch up with some of you IRL this week. Man, I need to see/talk to my peeps! In-laws were awesome with Chase but drove me crazy at least a little bit every day! We did get two toddler-free nights in a hotel, the first of which was awesome (the second happened to coincide with the "bachelor party", and while I enjoyed to chance to lie in bed and channel surf while knitting, it wasn't really what I had in mind!).

My sister sent us a waffle-maker while we were gone, so this morning I made AWESOME gluten-free waffles. Next time, I'm going to make a huge batch and freeze some for the week.

Anyone have links to good make-ahead meals? I need to start having cooking days and freezing meals - we spend WAY TOO MUCH on spur-of-the-moment eating out when I am tired.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#76 of 125 Old 07-19-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post

My sister sent us a waffle-maker while we were gone, so this morning I made AWESOME gluten-free waffles. Next time, I'm going to make a huge batch and freeze some for the week.

Anyone have links to good make-ahead meals? I need to start having cooking days and freezing meals - we spend WAY TOO MUCH on spur-of-the-moment eating out when I am tired.
Welcome back!!

These are two of my very favorites.

Lentil Crock-pot Bolognese Sauce
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=11940.0

Dhal
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=4917.0

#77 of 125 Old 07-19-2009, 07:08 PM

Hey girls!

Welcome Caitlin!

We officially survived Charlie's first camping trip. At times it was worse than I imagined, at times it was better. My parents had mucho car problems and that was misery.

Tina, you might want to beat me with a wet noodle, but I actually caved yesterday and gave Charlie some motrin. Breaking 4 teeth (2 are still in the process) in 2 weeks has made him a very very grumpy baby. No fun at all. The motrin gave me a bit of peace, and let him sleep.

kaPOW those recipes look good!

I need to go make my laundry detergent, and I promised Des she could have the computer back...so I'll see you guys later!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#78 of 125 Old 07-19-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotemist View Post
Hey girls!

Welcome Caitlin!

We officially survived Charlie's first camping trip. At times it was worse than I imagined, at times it was better. My parents had mucho car problems and that was misery.

Tina, you might want to beat me with a wet noodle, but I actually caved yesterday and gave Charlie some motrin. Breaking 4 teeth (2 are still in the process) in 2 weeks has made him a very very grumpy baby. No fun at all. The motrin gave me a bit of peace, and let him sleep.

kaPOW those recipes look good!

I need to go make my laundry detergent, and I promised Des she could have the computer back...so I'll see you guys later!

Hehe.. Cari I give the kids Motrin when needed. :P

I will call you in a bit to talk to you about girl scouts.

Oh yea.. and I have a pair of longies for Charlie.
#79 of 125 Old 07-20-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
This blog has several mega cooking ideas, and she links you to sites with more recipes for make a head meals.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#80 of 125 Old 07-21-2009, 11:10 PM

How to de-friend your brother. Hrmmmmmmm.
#81 of 125 Old 07-22-2009, 12:43 AM

Dude. Your brother is a ... My little brother comes up with the same crazy political boldnesses that make no sense.
#82 of 125 Old 07-22-2009, 12:46 AM

Hey Karen,

You can check out an acquaintance from Austin, who just posted a GFCF make-ahead schedule on her blog. Scroll down a bit and you will see the title for a month's worth of make-ahead meals.

http://web.me.com/meaganmm/Site/Blog/Blog.html

Unfortunately, I was never able to make it to the knitting group again while we were in Portland. We ended up moving to Central Oregon (southeast of Eugene with my husband finding a job in Eugene).

When I'm visiting Portland (still have husband's family there), I'll see if you girls will be getting together to perhaps come by on the night you're knitting.

Kesha Brindell
#83 of 125 Old 07-22-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
Dude. Your brother is a ...

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#84 of 125 Old 07-22-2009, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
Dude. Your brother is a ... My little brother comes up with the same crazy political boldnesses that make no sense.
Well at least I feel vindicated that I am not crazy. He started more in his status. I am pushing my beliefs on him. I told him he was free to ignore anything he didn't agree with. Now he is calling my other brother to tell on me.
#85 of 125 Old 07-22-2009, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the make a meal ahead blogs. I think I am going to start trying this also. I always have these great ideas that I will meal plan and get organized in our meals. But, life gets crazy and we do a lot of spur of the moment meals that do get expensive.

Kammy, DD 10/96, DD 1/01, DS 1/04
#86 of 125 Old 07-22-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anesidora View Post
Hey Karen,

You can check out an acquaintance from Austin, who just posted a GFCF make-ahead schedule on her blog. Scroll down a bit and you will see the title for a month's worth of make-ahead meals.

http://web.me.com/meaganmm/Site/Blog/Blog.html

Unfortunately, I was never able to make it to the knitting group again while we were in Portland. We ended up moving to Central Oregon (southeast of Eugene with my husband finding a job in Eugene).

When I'm visiting Portland (still have husband's family there), I'll see if you girls will be getting together to perhaps come by on the night you're knitting.

Kesha Brindell
I wondered what happened to you! It would be great to have you stop by Knit Night whenever you're in town.

And thanks for the link. The more ideas I have, the better, and since DS is GF, this will help a LOT.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#87 of 125 Old 07-22-2009, 06:21 PM

Ooh, meal planning... one of the few things I have nailed!

I do our big shopping twice a month, and fresh produce an additional two times a month. I used to be really good at meal planning but now I just sort of wing it off my old meal plans. Like, I'll buy mostly the same grocery list, and then just come up with things to make out of those items. Since I've done it over a year, I can look up my meal plan from last July and it makes sense seasonally, though our needs have changed so certain things I need more of or certain things are more expensive now or I've chosen to buy something alternative.

The best way to start is to look at what you have. What needs to be used first? Jot down a meal that would use that item. Jot down some more that use what you have, even if you don't have most of the ingredients. Write down a meal that your family always loves. Write down something new you want to try. Stop when you have enough meals for one week. Include breakfasts and lunches if you really want to get a good start... I started with just dinners but learned to plan for the rest, too. For breakfasts, I'll usually write yogurt/granola, eggs/toast, fruit smoothies, simple stuff for during the week, and bigger ones for the weekend. Sometimes I get really fancy and premix dry ingredients for scones or muffins and put them in an old yogurt container to have it ready for the morning. I even write the recipe on the side of the container to make it really easy. For lunches, I look at what meals will have leftovers, and then either just write "leftovers," or write a meal that will use the leftovers in a new way. For instance, if we have roast beef, the next day I'll spice it up and fry it in a pan for thai spiced beef over rice or noodles. Or I write in a dinner with potatoes to make extra potatoes for potato salad the next day.

Once you have enough meals for a week, make your grocery list. Then add some snacks like bananas or whatever will keep your family happy between meals. That's it! I like to do two weeks at a time, and then I make two grocery lists, one that is immediate, and one that is for the fresh items I'll need to pick up one week out. I usually get my groceries delivered so it makes it even easier. I make the list in the online shopping cart, and then purchase it then and there! I've also used the New Seasons online shopping cart just to make the list, and then printed it out and went to Trader Joes, doing price comparisons all the way. By the way, if anyone has never used New Seasons delivery (and you are in the deliverable area), PM me with your e-mail addy and I'll "recommend" you and then we'll both get free deliveries! I'm not sure if it works for pick-up at the store (they do all the legwork and then all you have to do is load up the car, we've done this before, too).

Be prepared, it might not be awesome at first, but you'll learn.

Visit the mother of all meal-planning threads for more ideas.

#88 of 125 Old 07-23-2009, 12:25 AM

Thanks for all of the great ideas on meal planning. I will definitely revisit that thread, and will try some of your ideas.

Kammy, DD 10/96, DD 1/01, DS 1/04
#89 of 125 Old 07-23-2009, 01:33 AM

I bow down to you, almighty meal planner Stella, I mean Laura.

I used to do that too, but I have fallen out of the habit. I need to get back on it. I've been trying to make bigger batches of dinners to freeze. Like if I make quiche or casserole, I stick one in the freezer. And then i feel like a superstar.
#90 of 125 Old 07-23-2009, 01:34 AM

Goodbye Westside Thread. You will be missed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page