Official Corvallis/Eugene Summer Chat Thread!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 07-15-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So... who's out there? Introduce yourself! I'm Mae, SAHM to DS, 7 and DD, born May 09, and partner to the most wonderful man for me . We live in Corvallis, unschool, and are moving to our in-law's organic farm soon.

Who else? And welcome!

:

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#2 of 30 Old 07-15-2009, 08:08 PM

Hi, I'm in Eugene I came by the tribal areas to get some help finding a doula and an OB for my dd ... how is Corvallis doing today .. hot?

Mom to DD born 1989 DS born 1993 and grandma to
DGS born 2005
#3 of 30 Old 07-16-2009, 04:19 PM

Hey there~I'm liz and I'm in Eugene :-) I have a 21 month old DS who keeps me super busy and one on the way due Jan 4 2010 :
I'm married, I work, and plan on going back for my masters next summer. Can't wait to be home with my babies for 5 months before then though!! I've been waiting for this thread to be born so yay for Eugene and Corvallis mamas!!! Let's chat

Liz ~wife to an amazing man~mama to 2 beautiful sons~trodding through babylon~ loving JAH~rainbow1284.gif

#4 of 30 Old 07-16-2009, 04:27 PM

I'm from Junction City, but I live closer to Portland now.

Reason I'm posting on this thread is that my sister is a Doula in Eugene. If anyone needs a doula or know someone who is looking... my sister is awesome!

Send me a message and I'll have her get back to you.

Married to an Ogre, Mother of Danora Rose 12/31/2008 and missing Evan Michael 12/31/2008 Expecting someone new 7/11/2011

#5 of 30 Old 07-17-2009, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'm glad this thread is started, too. What's everyone doing this summer? Here in Corvallis, divinci days is going on.

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#6 of 30 Old 07-18-2009, 12:11 AM

Hi, I'm a Eugene mama. Currently a SAHM to my sweet 5-month-old over the summer, but hopefully teaching again in the fall. I also do doula work.

Sure is hot this week, huh?!

Mama to my sweet pea:, can't believe how fast she's growing!
#7 of 30 Old 07-19-2009, 01:40 AM

Hi all,

A New-To-Oregon, Westfir Mama here (about 45 minutes southeast of Eugene)... I'm an unschooling, knitting, photographer, avid reader, hiking, camping, lactivist, supporter of co-sleeping and baby-wearing, liberal, alternative medicine Mama of one wonderful 6-1/2-year-old daughter on the High Functioning end of the Autism Spectrum who is GFCF.

Whew...

I have a feeling that no one is anywhere close to us, but we plan to drive into Eugene 1-2 times a week for meeting up with friends and activities and would love to meet some other AP, like-minded Mamas in the area!

Nice to meet y'all (I'm from Louisiana)... ;p

Kesha Brindell
#8 of 30 Old 07-19-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

We're moving close to eugene in a few weeks - currently we are down in that area the first three days of the week, every week. My fiance is starting a brewery on his parent's land, and it's that same land that we're moving to

Did anyone see Food, Inc? I did - it was very well done!

#9 of 30 Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 PM

Bump.

How is everyone doing today? Staying cool-I hope. I can't believe how hot it was at 9am this morning!!! WOW. I am dreading going home to my HOT HOT HOT house at the end of the day....ugh. What are you doing with the kids to stay cool today?

Happy Monday

Liz ~wife to an amazing man~mama to 2 beautiful sons~trodding through babylon~ loving JAH~rainbow1284.gif

#10 of 30 Old 07-27-2009, 06:13 PM

Hi! We moved to Eugene about 4 months ago, from Portland. I was raised down in this part of Oregon though (Roseburg) so I'm actually close to home after many years! We really like Eugene so far ... we had our new little guy, Cedar, about 5 weeks ago, and we've been really busy just getting used to having a new member to our family! My daughter is 2.5, and she's doing really well. It took a little bit of adjustment, though ...

We went to Sladen Park today and played in the wading pool. What a shame that all the wading pools will be shut down at the end of the summer! IT was a big hit, and I imagine we'll be headed there, or another pool, again. Very soon. Maybe tomorrow. If anyone wants to meet up there, or somewhere else, to try and stay cool this week, I would love to meet up!

Beth, Wife to T , Mama to MB (12/06) :, and new addition C (6/09) :! We ::::!
#11 of 30 Old 07-27-2009, 06:45 PM

OOoohh, a wading pool sounds great! We went berry picking this morning but it got too hot way too quick. Now I am just hanging out in the house, thinking about taking a cold bath or shower with DD to cool us off.

I'd be interested in maybe meeting up at a pool sometime - PM me?

#12 of 30 Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 AM

great! i will pm you when we're thinking of going ... today is toddler storytime at the library, so i don't know if we'll hit the pool as well. but i'll let you know!

#13 of 30 Old 07-29-2009, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hey I have a new babe too, beth! Our babies are almost the same age! My daughter's name is Maya Peace

Let me know when you're meeting up and I'll try to come too! NAK

#14 of 30 Old 07-30-2009, 11:30 AM

Wow! When was Maya born? Cedar was born 6/24, at home in the bathroom, after a 3.5 hour labor ... I love your daughter's name!

Now that it's cooling off, getting out and about in the afternoon won't be quite as difficult. I was thinking we might try to hit a wading pool tomorrow ... anyone free? Pools are usually filled and ready to go by noon. What do you think? I like the wading pool at Sladen Park because it is SHADED - a very nice feature!

#15 of 30 Old 07-30-2009, 05:02 PM

A wading pool visit tomorrow sounds great! Where is Sladen Park? I'm free at noon.

#16 of 30 Old 07-31-2009, 01:53 PM

Sladen Park is in the Whitaker neighborhood, the wading pool is on Adams near Cheshire. I'd recommend you google map it! We'll definitely aim to be there at noon. But I'm sure you remember how it is with the newborn, and then throw in the toddler, and we are frequently late!! I have a 2.5 year old girl with curly curly hair and a little one, I'll probably be wearing in the Bjorn. Hope to see you there!

#17 of 30 Old 07-31-2009, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethariel View Post
Wow! When was Maya born? Cedar was born 6/24, at home in the bathroom, after a 3.5 hour labor ... I love your daughter's name!

Now that it's cooling off, getting out and about in the afternoon won't be quite as difficult. I was thinking we might try to hit a wading pool tomorrow ... anyone free? Pools are usually filled and ready to go by noon. What do you think? I like the wading pool at Sladen Park because it is SHADED - a very nice feature!
Maya was born 5/26 - they're less than a month apart

If you guys went to the wading pool today, I hope it was fun! We'll try to make it next time - usually Friday & Saturday we're up here in Corvallis.

#18 of 30 Old 08-03-2009, 03:05 PM

I see most the mommas on this thread are in Eugene but I'll go ahead and post. I'm in Corvallis. I was thinking how to introduce myself but then I thought well it's all in my siggy!

#19 of 30 Old 08-05-2009, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karamom View Post
I see most the mommas on this thread are in Eugene but I'll go ahead and post. I'm in Corvallis. I was thinking how to introduce myself but then I thought well it's all in my siggy!
We unschool too! nak

#20 of 30 Old 08-05-2009, 05:29 PM

we're not in oregon (yet), but i was hoping to glean a little info about the area from you mamas? :

dh & i are looking at an acre in toledo, bordering drift creek wilderness. is this kind of in the general corvallis area?

any info would be totally helpful! thanks mams!:
#21 of 30 Old 08-05-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyMae09 View Post
We unschool too! nak
Yay! I'm glad to find another unschooler. We are very new to unschooling, as in I only really decided to do it about a month ago and my kids are still small. Oldest is only 2.5 but I also have a baby, it looks like you do too.

Friday I'm going to Avery park to meet the yahoo homeschool group there. I've never meet them before. Are you a part of that group?

#22 of 30 Old 08-05-2009, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yay! I'm glad to find another unschooler. We are very new to unschooling, as in I only really decided to do it about a month ago and my kids are still small. Oldest is only 2.5 but I also have a baby, it looks like you do too.

Friday I'm going to Avery park to meet the yahoo homeschool group there. I've never meet them before. Are you a part of that group?
Yes, we'll be there! I'm the one with the only baby girl I'll probably be wearing a tie-dye headscarf

hope to see you there!

#23 of 30 Old 08-06-2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyMae09 View Post
Yes, we'll be there! I'm the one with the only baby girl I'll probably be wearing a tie-dye headscarf

hope to see you there!
oh good! It always makes me a little nervous going somewhere that I don't know anyone but now I have sorta met you.

I have no idea what I will be wearing but my baby will most likely be in a cranberry colored ergo.

#24 of 30 Old 08-07-2009, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
oh good! It always makes me a little nervous going somewhere that I don't know anyone but now I have sorta met you.

I have no idea what I will be wearing but my baby will most likely be in a cranberry colored ergo.

it was so good to meet you today! hope to see you at the market tomorrow!

#25 of 30 Old 08-08-2009, 12:29 AM

Hi Mamas,

I'm in Eugene. I'm a sahm and love to get out with my kids. My oldest is going to a nature camp next week so I'll just have my two smaller ones....what will I do with all my time.

I love to go to wading pools but I usually go to University Park. I'd venture out to a new one though. I also had my kids in swim classes at Amazon so we have a few free passes to go back again. I usually pack a picnic to eat in the park afterward.

I also still want to hike up Spencer Butte since I've yet to do it. That's sort of more of a family activity but I guess our families could hang out too. I do have a cool husband too.
#26 of 30 Old 08-09-2009, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
Hi Mamas,

I'm in Eugene. I'm a sahm and love to get out with my kids. My oldest is going to a nature camp next week so I'll just have my two smaller ones....what will I do with all my time.

I love to go to wading pools but I usually go to University Park. I'd venture out to a new one though. I also had my kids in swim classes at Amazon so we have a few free passes to go back again. I usually pack a picnic to eat in the park afterward.

I also still want to hike up Spencer Butte since I've yet to do it. That's sort of more of a family activity but I guess our families could hang out too. I do have a cool husband too.
Welcome!

#27 of 30 Old 09-03-2009, 07:09 PM

Hi! Is this thread still active? August is kinda still summer out here isn't it?

I am so glad to see this thread cuz I have always wanted one for this area. I am currently in Corvallis in a housing program, but thinking about moving to Eugene in the next couple of months as housing options are finally opening up for me. My life has been really chaotic this year, and some of you may remember me from earlier this year before I disappeared due to lack of convienent internet access. Anyway...... The basics are single mom with toddler DD. We are looking for inexpensive housing and a part time job for myself as well as a crunchy daycare for DD while I'm at work. Any recommendations or suggestions would be welcome. You can post here or PM, what ever works for you.

Just wanted to say hello to the locals . I've really missed MDC and the type of people who tend to be here. I have been really isolated in the midst of uncrunchiness and long to find a community of people that I can actually get to know offline.

I still don't have convienent regular internet service, but I will be on MDC and this tribal area more frequently now in anticipation of my move and return to normal society. Yes, it's been a strange year.
#28 of 30 Old 09-03-2009, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
we're not in oregon (yet), but i was hoping to glean a little info about the area from you mamas? :

dh & i are looking at an acre in toledo, bordering drift creek wilderness. is this kind of in the general corvallis area?

any info would be totally helpful! thanks mams!:
Toledo is kind of near Corvallis. It's closer to Newport, but Corvallis is the closest 'crunchy' town, and also the closest 'big' town. Toledo is beautiful!

Oregon is wonderful in general - there's tons to do, esp. near Toledo, because the beach is very nearby. You'd also be in the coast range, which has lots of camping and hiking.

PM me if you want more info!

#29 of 30 Old 09-03-2009, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia View Post
Hi! Is this thread still active? August is kinda still summer out here isn't it?

I am so glad to see this thread cuz I have always wanted one for this area. I am currently in Corvallis in a housing program, but thinking about moving to Eugene in the next couple of months as housing options are finally opening up for me. My life has been really chaotic this year, and some of you may remember me from earlier this year before I disappeared due to lack of convienent internet access. Anyway...... The basics are single mom with toddler DD. We are looking for inexpensive housing and a part time job for myself as well as a crunchy daycare for DD while I'm at work. Any recommendations or suggestions would be welcome. You can post here or PM, what ever works for you.

Just wanted to say hello to the locals . I've really missed MDC and the type of people who tend to be here. I have been really isolated in the midst of uncrunchiness and long to find a community of people that I can actually get to know offline.

I still don't have convienent regular internet service, but I will be on MDC and this tribal area more frequently now in anticipation of my move and return to normal society. Yes, it's been a strange year.
Hello! No recommendation for you, as we homeschool, but I know that there's gotta be lots of cool daycares in eugene. Welcome!

#30 of 30 Old 02-16-2010, 09:23 PM

couldn't find a recent thread for moms in this area so I started a new one.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1195994

Messianic mama to 3 boys, C (4 yrs), E (22 mths), B (newborn)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page