Low cost doula in Snohomish County? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been looking for a doula (just online) and am surprised at how expensive they are. I think they earn every penny, don't get me wrong. But has doula pricing gone up steeply in the last 5 years? When I was looking for a doula with my first pregnancy 4 yrs. ago, I talked to probably 6 different doulas and the price range was around $200-$400. But it seems like the going rate now is anywhere between $500-$1000. As much as I want a doula and feel like I need a doula, we just can't afford that. We have to pay out of pocket for our home birth and we don't have an extra $500 on top of that. But I totally respect doulas and the hard work they do. Are there any low cost doulas in Snohomish County? I'd be totally fine with people who are trying to get certified and may not be the most experienced. But the few I've found who fit in that category still charge upwards of $400-$500. Any other places to look? I appreciate all the help! I'm starting to really stress about this! My dh might have to be with my dd during the birth and I don't want to be alone!
#2 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 07:05 PM

Most doulas will adjust their fees on sliding scale. I would email any of the doulas you're interested in and ask if they do. I know many in the Portland area that do, but they don't specifically state that sometimes on their sites. Lots of doulas will also barter with you.

HTH!

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
#3 of 14 Old 09-08-2009, 08:46 PM

I know this isn't what you were asking, but I'd sure hate to think of your dh not being with you during labor and birth! Is it a babysitter you need? I live in Sno County (Lynnwood area) and might be able to help. Let me know, maybe we can arrange to meet in a park to play and go from there. If nothing else, we can always use more friends.

I'm definitely not trying to derail your doula plans, though, if you can make that work. I didn't use one for dd but I've heard such wonderful things. Good luck!

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#4 of 14 Old 09-09-2009, 05:09 AM

try doulamatch.net and look for someone in your ball park, who meets your requirements! also contact PALS Doulas, they can post to the Doula Yahoo Group for you www.palsdoulas.org or email the office manager at info@palsdoulas.org

Best wishes for a great birth!
Sharon

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
#5 of 14 Old 09-10-2009, 01:24 AM

I'm with Bjorker on this... as important as a doula is would you rather have your husband there? Also the women I know who've had home births end up having their children in the room. Does your midwife come with an assistant?

Anyway -how long do you have before the birth? Enough time to make a friend you would feel comfortable with to come help out watching your child?
#6 of 14 Old 09-11-2009, 01:23 AM

The yahoo group through PALS can reach many doulas, some of whom might not charge anything! I am pretty far from where you are or I would volunteer, but I know there are some great doulas much closer!

Salmon Bay Doula, I have taught a client the "writing their name" excercise I learned from you! LOL I was in the May doula trainging through SMS (you came in to stand in for Carrie K while she went to a birth)
#7 of 14 Old 09-13-2009, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulamamaOE View Post
Salmon Bay Doula, I have taught a client the "writing their name" excercise I learned from you! LOL I was in the May doula trainging through SMS (you came in to stand in for Carrie K while she went to a birth)
Yeah, keep on spreading it! I got it from Teri Shilling, www.passionforbirth one of the other trainers on the SMS faculty there!

Hope you are well!

Sharon

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
#8 of 14 Old 09-13-2009, 03:14 AM

OT, but what's the writing their name exercise?

#9 of 14 Old 09-13-2009, 04:38 PM

"Writing the Name" thing is a little exercise we do to break up the day during doula trainings. we ask the doulas to stand up and pretend they have a pencil stuck in their butt cheeks! and to write their FULL names in cursive with the "pencil" , dotting the i's and crossing the t's. Really gets the hips moving and a fun exercise to do with clients to get them rotating and swiveling their hips. just bringing some fun into it!

Sharon

#10 of 14 Old 09-13-2009, 05:52 PM

Ah, never hear of that exericise! Thanks for letting me know

#11 of 14 Old 05-04-2010, 01:09 AM

a doula is wonderful to have with or without your dh there! check out oesa's website.http://amazingmamabirth.com
#12 of 14 Old 05-06-2010, 12:21 AM

Just wanted to post for future mama's that may be looking: I am in training to be a doula in the Snohomish area. I am very flexible on prices. The only reason I am charging at all is because my husband is in the military and not around for most of 2010 and part of 2011, so I will have to pay for childcare for my daughter during the prenatal appointments and birth.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#13 of 14 Old 05-06-2010, 11:52 PM

Oesa is awesome, and I will also recommend Kate Rollins and Matilda White (who is a newer doula but I'm sure she is awesome) www.letitbebirth.com and Tiffany Shone who is a new but awesome doula http://www.littleblessingsdoulas.net/

I won't speak for them but I believe they will both work with you on prices.

Morgan - Wife to Eldi, Mama to 5 yr old ds Gabriel and baby Lucia, Doula -- my loves!

#14 of 14 Old 01-17-2011, 02:57 PM

I know this thread is older, but for those still looking for a low-cost doula in Snohomish County, I am one!

I've been a doula for not quite a year and a half, am in the process of obtaining certification, and charge $200-$400 per birth. I also teach childbirth classes.

My name is Megan Minnick and my web site is http://www.greatexpectationsbirth.com. I'd love to connect with you!  smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page