Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Come on ladies where you at???

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#2 of 34 Old 10-04-2009, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
<--- Big ball o' stress. Too much to do, too little time to do it in. I need four of me!

The kids' cirricula materials arrived the other day! Gunner has to see the doctor on Tuesday for a weird lump in his arm pit. I'm going back on a dairy, egg and nut free diet in a desperate attempt to help Ben's stomach and bottom. Ali has had a fever all today. I'm working every spare minute, but am spinning my wheels {getting nothing done}. I need to figure out a way to organize myself, house, kids and time so that everything gets done and I don't always feel so chaotic and stressed.

How are you doing?
#3 of 34 Old 10-05-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Not getting as much done as I had hoped to by now but feeling confident I'll get it done. We keep doing project after project which is taking my sewing time. Canning and now re organizing bedrooms. But now I will have my own sewing room so hopefully can get a bit more done. Or maybe I'll just hate being stuck in the little room all by myself. Joe is excited as now he won't need headphones to watch a show or listen to music while I serge. He can hear when I sew but the serger is just too loud. Technically the only things I have done are some blankets and playdough. Though its not made but that just requires an evening in the kitchen so it can be done fairly easily, so I am calling it done. I have a ton cut and ready or almost done though. Getting really nervous though what if we don't have enough stuff? Did you ever figure out how many items you need to make/sell just to pay for your booth expenses?

#4 of 34 Old 10-08-2009, 03:32 AM

Lots? No... I haven't sat down and done the math yet. I think it would work out to something like 40 small items or less if they were more spendy items.

Good deal on the sewing room. I'm still trying to reorganize everything to move my sewing room back down stairs. I don't like the thought of being so far from Benji, but I don't want to take him down there.
#5 of 34 Old 10-08-2009, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielove View Post
Lots? No... I haven't sat down and done the math yet. I think it would work out to something like 40 small items or less if they were more spendy items.

Good deal on the sewing room. I'm still trying to reorganize everything to move my sewing room back down stairs. I don't like the thought of being so far from Benji, but I don't want to take him down there.
I thought Nate was sleeping down there? Has that changed now?

#6 of 34 Old 10-08-2009, 11:31 PM

Yes. He didn't want his room downstairs anymore, so everything was switched up.
#7 of 34 Old 10-10-2009, 02:36 PM

I have sick kids Ali has had a fever for nearly a week now, off and on. Yesterday she woke up with a swollen neck lymph node and today her voice is froggy. I'm taking her to UC when M gets home tonight. Gunner has had a swollen lymph node in his arm pit for over a week; the doctor tentatively diagnosed cat scratch fever and prescribed antibiotics, with directions to come back to assess in a week and have a CT scan done if the lump hasn't shrunk. Nate was up half of last night vomitting, though he's fine this morning.

We started the Calvert curriculum two days ago and oh my gosh, what was I thinking? This is so much work! It's taking nearly the entire day to get through all three kids' work. It does not help that none of them will work independently. Nate needs to be dragged through every single inch, Gunner has to be led and kept on task every minute and Ana can't read enough yet to do the work on her own. Plus I always have baby Ben and Ali needing my attention at the same time, and the house to clean and meals to cook.... I'm so so so stressed out right now and I've gotten nothing sewn in several days. I'm declaring today a no school work day and instead we're going to clean the house and then I'm going to sew!
#8 of 34 Old 10-14-2009, 04:41 AM

almost forgot MDC existed

Jessie, for the sick kiddos! Calvert sounds awful Good luck with the diet stuff!

Allison, sewing room pics look great on FB. Did you move the kids into the master BR? How's that working? We've been considering that for our place as well. Just trying to get the garage organized now.

Looking forward to seeing your booth!

Anyone need some kid-sized hangers? Got tons to give away.

OMG, Lilly is like a whole new kid. I am totally astounded. Our bad days now look like our good days a few months ago. I never would have thought diet would have brought these kind of changes!

Urban homesteader wanna be and homeschooling mama to the artist : 1/2003 and the peanut 6/2008 :
#9 of 34 Old 10-15-2009, 03:17 PM

No more fever! Woo! Gunner still has that swollen lymph node though, and I can't tell for sure but it looks like it might be bigger. Back to the doctor in five days to check it again and we'll almost definitely be doing a CT scan and blood work.

Amoreena, tell me more about Lilly's diet...? I want to cut gluten for the boys, but it's so overwhelming and right now I just do not have enough energy or time to do that. I think after December that's going to be my big goal.

Kid sized hangers are always in need here!

So today is Ali's birthday! She and Nate want to share a birthday party. Would it be terrible to wait til mid-November? That's about three weeks after Ali's birthday and two after Nate's...They want Chuck E Cheeses. I'm trying to convince them that home is so much more fun!
#10 of 34 Old 10-16-2009, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Amoreena you must check in more often as its just me and Jessie talking to each other. I am so glad to hear that the diet is working. I noticed a difference in her last time you were here, so great that its even better now.

I am excited about the booth too. Sewing like mad this week!

We did move the kids into the master. The bunk is in there for Maddy and Michael and Marah in her toddler bed. They have so much room to play its great!!! Nomy, Joe, and I are in Madeline's old room and the third bedroom has become sewing and homeschool stuff. It is working out really well right now.

Jessie yay for no fevers boo for ct scans and bloodwork. I have an entire box of plastic hangers for kids that come with clothes when you buy them. They are yours if you think you need even more after what Amoreena has.

Joe's workout schedule is driving me mad. I love that he is getting himself healthy but I feel like everything revolves around it right now. Trying to be supportive... Oh and I wish he would decide what he wants to do when he grows up. Navy is still in the picture but he is also looking at other options. The latest was working for the police department. I guess he has three officers/seargants whatever they are he currently works with that have said they will give him recomendations. Its getting kind of hard to keep track off all his ideas and to make any sort of plans for anything since we don't know what is going on with anything.

#11 of 34 Old 10-16-2009, 03:36 AM

sending "grow up" vibes to Joe so that Allison can make plans that would drive me crazy too! John was like that for a long time and I'm glad that he's found his thing (for now!) Glad to hear the room switcheroo is working well

Rowan accidentally called Danita today and it was nice to talk to her Let's plan a MNO soon!

Jessie, I took months to work up to actually doing the diet. Just felt too busy and overwhelmed and kept putting it off, so I totally get where you're coming from. Ironically, I now see that if we had jumped into it the last few months would have been *less* stressful (sigh), hindsight, right?

We're doing the Body Ecology Diet and I read the book by Donna Gates. I also looked in to GAPS but thought BED might be easier. I actually didn't like the BED book but I'd heard so many people having good results I wanted to give it a try anyway.

Both are diets that are supposed to "cure" autism and as far as I understand it are operating under the premise that our bodies today are just inundated w/ toxins (from food, environment, vaccines, etc.) and it is overwhelming our immune system and leading to an increase in chronic illness and ASDs.

There's actually some interesting research about autism & gut health & a study that showed ALL autistic kids had leaky gut syndrome. I'll email the link if I can find it again.

Anyhow, I decided our plan of attack would be to try and detox our system, try and starve the bad yeasties that were likely to have invaded (candida) and then begin to heal our intestines. This is what BED is supposed to do (though she doesn't really explain it that way). BED is a 2 phase diet so initially you cut out anything that is likely to cause digestive issues and then you start adding things in little-by-little ad see if your body can handle it. So here are some of the changes that we have made or are working towards making:

1. NO sugar (or honey or maple syrup or artificial sweeteners), only Stevia or Erythritol--we're about 98% sugar free

2. NO gluten and only a few approved-grains (quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat, millet)--we're about 85% gluten free

3. NO casein--we're only about 50% casein free and have allowed cultured dairy products

4. Add LOTS of cultured vegetables, also kefir and young coconut water kefir--John and I do this but we haven't gotten Lilly to try them yet

5. Try to "balance" our meals by following BED food-combining rules--we do this about 60% of the time

6. Supplementing with probiotics, prebiotics and enzymes.

When you undertake a major cleansing like this it is actually advisable to make the changes slowly. When you try to detox too quickly, you can overload your system and get sick. If I could go back and start over, I probably would have started by cutting out sugar first and adding in cultured veggies/supplements and then moved on to gluten and/or casein when I was ready.

There is lots of good info on BED/Autism here: http://bedrokcommunity.org/index.html I particularly like their guide for starting BED and wished I had read it earlier : http://bedrokcommunity.org/id72.html

Anyway, hope that is helpful and not too long and overwhelming. Would love to chat with you about it when you're ready to think about it some more!

Urban homesteader wanna be and homeschooling mama to the artist : 1/2003 and the peanut 6/2008 :
#12 of 34 Old 10-19-2009, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Bump up from page two and now from Michael:

:fen ce:mo on:mo on:bol t:c hicks: birthday:Puke:Puke: Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke: Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke: Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke: Puke:Puke:Puke:fired evil:sc ared:fe nce:ribr ain:su permod:Puke:Puke:Puk e:fambe ds2

#13 of 34 Old 10-21-2009, 01:43 PM

Gunner's testing is today. I'll update after we're home. I'm sure he's fine and it's something completely minor that just looks like something bad.
#14 of 34 Old 10-21-2009, 01:44 PM

Thank you for the diet info. I think I'm going to wait until January to really change it, but I'm starting to try phasing out wheat now. A little less every week, with more veggies snuck in. We'll see how it goes!

A MNO soon would be very, very good. It's been a while!
#15 of 34 Old 10-22-2009, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Someone shoot me. Joe's brother asked for all the kids to be in his wedding a few months ago. And of course we said yes, well now comes the issue. She is picking dresses and I tried to steer her to cheap dresses and the cheapest dress I have seen of her likes she keeps sending me are $100 or more. Then add shoes and other accesories and we are just royally screwed. We cannot afford this. A tux rental plus 2 flower girl dresses and a jr bridesmaid dress. What were we thinking!!!! What do we do? Tell them we can't afford it, don't be in the wedding (kids are super excited), just buy the darn dresses that we will never ever wear again and are most likely dry clean only and not only that they are all white or cream. My kids in white or cream!! I keep telling myself its her day, its her day, its her day but OMG this wedding is going to cost us more than our entire grocery budget per month! Can't post about it on FB as she is on my friends list. I really like her just so you all know, I think she is the sweetest and Joe's brother is cute too. I remember when he was little and Joe asked me to babysit him one day, he told Joe my best friend was hot. lol okay big sighs...

#16 of 34 Old 10-22-2009, 11:47 AM

Allison,
You say you like her and that she is sweet. She is not a stranger to your family so surely she must be aware that you are not rolling in dough. It means a lot to her that your family is in her wedding and your heart is in the right place to try and make it happen. She maybe be suffereing from some sort of Bride hysteria. Have a talk with her. I know it would probably be close to impossible to be able to go out for a cup of coffee but maybe you can call her at a less than chaotic moment in your day. Say simply "It means so much to me that you want the children to be part of your special day but, with times being tough the way they are, it will be too much of a financial hardship for us to purchase the expensive clothing for the children that they will only wear for one day". Tell her that you would be willing to rent a tux for Micheal and dresses for the girls OR purchase them secondhand, whichever is most doable. These kind of clothes are rarely worn more than once and secondhand or rental would be in fine condition. Surely she cannot object to that. If she hears how much of a hardship it would be to purchase all the clothes (and I believe it would be hardship for any of us in this situation) perhaps she will rethink the situation and even be willing to pitch in for the rentals.

Good Luck!
#17 of 34 Old 10-25-2009, 03:04 PM

Yes, just try to gently explain that you're so happy for her and you want everything to be just right for her wedding, but you can't afford such high dollar clothibg. You *could* try making them, but the fabric would cost a lot. Or you could find more affordable alternatives. You can also sell the outfits after the wedding to recoup a bit of what you spent.
#18 of 34 Old 10-25-2009, 03:11 PM

For those keeping up: Now they think Gunner has MRSA. He has two holes where they cut the lumps, which are a necrotic lymph node and an abcess. None of the drs have been able to tell me how it happened and I'm getting frustrated at being brushed off, sent in circles and ignored by med-pros. I'm asking the right questions, but getting no answers. He's been very calm and cool through all of the tests and procedures. We go back again on Wednesday.

Is any one up for a MNO? It's been a long while!

Allison, I hope your show went great this weekend!
#19 of 34 Old 10-28-2009, 01:44 AM

Allison, that sucks about the clothing. Did you talk to the bride yet? Sure you can find a cheaper alternative...

Jessie, and : for Gunner. Let me know if you need anything! Did you get my FB msg about the stuff I have for you? I'd like to make a drop off ASAP 'cuz my kids keep getting into the bags (sigh)

Been missing you guys, just returning from a "mental vacation" Got sucked in to some books last week and let everything go to he11 while I sat around and read : no grocery shopping, no cleaning, not much cooking... Paying for it now (ugh!)

How 'bout a MNO next week? Any particular days that do(n't) work?

#20 of 34 Old 10-29-2009, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Wedding news: Joe called and told his brother that we cannot afford to pay as much as she is asking. She apparently cried. Sigh... So she sent me a link to the dress she wants ($124 each) and asked I find something similar with the poofy skirt, and sash, and white. So that I can do. Maddy's dress however she is insisting it must be the same designer dress as the bridesmaids are wearing but she said she'll pay for it so I'm not forking over the $150 for Maddy's dress. I asked her to send me a link to the dress so I can see what I can find that is similar and she responded with she will pay for it so okay then. Honestly I wish we were not doing all this in the wedding. Its all ready a vacation we cannot afford. I think total this wedding going to cost us with travel, clothes, hotel about $800. And to top it off she just told us "oh by the way the wedding is on a festival weekend so book your hotel now." The wedding is in/near Leavenworth. I used to manage a hotel in Leavenworth I know how practically impossible it is to get a room during a festival. I also know how high the prices go for a room which mean we will be staying in Wenatchee if we can find a room there as they eventually end up booked as well.

So Jessie how are you? I called today but got voice mail. Not even sure its the right number as someone deleted all of the phone numbers in the phonebook on the phone. It was what was in my cell and I think it might have been your old number not sure. Hope Gunner is doing well, kind of wondering where you are and getting worried!! You have not been here nor FB for days.

Bazaar went well. Not great but it really was not my demographic and I knew that going in. Made enough to pay for all of the bazaars I am doing this season though so thats good. I did get to sit and chat and knit for two days so that was fun. Finished my third washcloth. I want to knit socks now. Doing another one on the 14th, 21st, and then Dec 12th. Phew. Re-opening my HC on the 6th and stocking the congo on the 3rd.

Okay I must go to bed...

#21 of 34 Old 10-29-2009, 03:57 AM

There is a great sock book ~ Knitting Two at a Time? Something like that. Amoreena, what is the name of that book? Anyway ~ magic loop is awesome for sock type stuff. I haven't done socks yet, but I've done a few other two-at-a-time magic loop things and it is tough at first, especially keeping straight which part of what you're working on, but once you work it out and get used to it things fly much faster. I need to get some sock yarn and then attempt my first pair of socks for my friend's son. If anyone happens to know of a free pattern for a hat a 10 year old would think is cool, link me, please? The chemo is making his hair fall out now and a cool hat maybe would cheer him up a tiny bit.

Gunner is doing great, thanks for asking We saw the doctor again today and while we still don't know a lot, we know a little more. His CBC was normal, no elevated white blood cells which is very good. The lab work ruled out MRSA, which they were pretty sure he had, so we once again do not know what caused the issues. He has an abcess in his arm and a necrotic lymph node. No clue what caused them or why they got so bad so quickly. They ruled out bacteria and infection. He's healing well now and thinks it's cool that he has two holes. Now basically we just keep up wound care and see what happens, whether it gets better or worse. He isn't contagious, which we were very concerned about.

Good to hear the bazaar went well! You did have the right number; you probably called while we were at the Dr or store and I forgot the phone at home.

I JUST realized that the third is in five days and I only have one new thing ready for the stocking and I don't have the matching hat even started! Eep! I am working on a trade, a custom, the kids' Halloween costumes... I can pull a few things together though.

Ali keeps asking when her birthday party is. So I need to plan something very soon or she and Nate are going to revolt.

Any day is good for a MNO for me, I think!
#22 of 34 Old 10-29-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

I just saw this hat linked on the Down to Earth Forums yesterday!! Thought it looked nice but I can't make heads or tails of the directions. I still don't speak knitting.

http://stephanieknits.blogspot.com/2...ince-2006.html

#23 of 34 Old 10-29-2009, 05:04 PM

That one looks pretty easy.

I need to ask Nate if he knows if Matthew is in to skulls or flames or what.

Ever have one of those days where you just want to stand up, turn around and yell, "STOP CASTING CURSES AT EACH OTHER!"

It's that kind of day here
#24 of 34 Old 10-30-2009, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielove View Post
That one looks pretty easy.

I need to ask Nate if he knows if Matthew is in to skulls or flames or what.

Ever have one of those days where you just want to stand up, turn around and yell, "STOP CASTING CURSES AT EACH OTHER!"

It's that kind of day here
Oh Jessie my kids have been doing the same thing all week! Michael has got Marah in on it and only thing is she can't pronounce anything. When its just her and Michael he also has to give a play by play as they do it since Marah doesn't know what any of it means. Avada Kedavra (Oh your dead) Crucio (oh I'm in pain) expeliarmus (you lost your want). It was cute for a while. lol

I didn't clean my kitchen last night and am now seriously regretting it. It is bad and my brother is coming over today so there is no putting it off. I also need to stock both stores. I have all the pics done and uploaded at least.

Jessie there was a thread on HC about those longie ornaments and I bet a ton of people would buy them!!

#25 of 34 Old 10-30-2009, 04:49 PM

I really ought to pay more attention to threads at HC. Thanks for the tip!

I didn't clean the kitchen last night either and blech, I should have. Trying to catch up today.
#26 of 34 Old 10-30-2009, 10:59 PM

Here's the book I've still never made socks but I got some sock yarn and I was hoping to get around to it. I've been totally into needle felting the last few weeks. I made a fairy/gnome house w/out a pattern. Plan on posting pics on FB one of these days...

Allison, sounds like an expensive wedding--yikes! Hope you're able to find a good alternate for the dresses. Good luck with all the bazaars, will have to come visit you at one

Jessie, good news about Gunner! Hope he is all better soon.

We've been doing well. Found a babysitter so that I can work one day/week. Lilly is loving Village Home and still doing pretty well on the diet. Guess that's about it for us.We'll have to do another lego-craft day when everyone is well and not so busy. Very fun last time

#27 of 34 Old 10-30-2009, 11:09 PM

Jessie, forgot to say I <3 chullos! Fun, easy, fast, functional, cute I've got a pattern for one that I made for my bro a few years ago. It was just plain but that I embroidered an eye on the top so it was a "third eye" chullo. Very cool, but can't find it online Still, if you search ravelry for "chullo" you'll find some.

#28 of 34 Old 11-12-2009, 05:59 AM

So.... I'm 4 weeks pregnant.....

Keeping it on the down low as far as facebook goes. My family is all on there and we are planning on announcing it at Thanksgiving. Once I make an "official" announcement there's no problem with commenting on it but for now... just here. :-)

Karyn, wife to Colby partners.gif (9/4/04) and homeschooling mama to Ryan notes2.gif (3/11/08), Tyler jog.gif h20homebirth.gif (7/15/10), and a new little bean pos.gif (10/24/12)! familybed2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gifintactlact.gif saynovax.gif

#29 of 34 Old 11-12-2009, 06:50 AM

Congratulations, Karyn!
#30 of 34 Old 11-12-2009, 01:10 PM

Congrats Karyn!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page