Anyone actually get swine flu? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious if anyone got it locally. How did you even know that it is swine rather than local? How bad was it actually?

Thank you!
#2 of 45 Old 10-09-2009, 11:05 PM

What do you mean "rather than local"? There is essentially no non-swine flu around in our area right now. So, if it is an influenza virus, then it's H1N1. Of course there are other viruses going around too.
#3 of 45 Old 10-09-2009, 11:20 PM

My nanny's DD was hospitalized with it - fever, vomiting, coughing, etc, pretty bad. They tested and State Health Dept called her with a positive a few days later. Around the same time our enitre family had flu-like symptoms, but nothing bad enough to see the doctor about. Pretty sure we all had it.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#4 of 45 Old 10-10-2009, 12:05 AM

3 of the neighbor kids have it or had it. One remains unaffected. The first 2 to have it (diagnosed) were out playing in their front yard after 2 1/2 days of being sick. I was then sick for 3 days and it wasn't bad at all.

Lol, I just realized this was a tribal area. I had just searched "H1N1" and then started clicking links...

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#5 of 45 Old 10-11-2009, 03:33 PM

One of my friends said she had it 2 weeks ago and then all 3 of her kids got it. I don't know how sick they were but she (the mom who was then over it) was out playing soccer with us so I assumed they were not that bad.
#6 of 45 Old 10-11-2009, 04:06 PM

Last week at our community group meeting, a hubby was there without his wife & baby, who were home with swine flu. They're the only local people we know who've had it so far, though.

Anne wife to Phil & mama to Katie
Velvet Blue ::: Seattle Baby/Child/Family Portraits
#7 of 45 Old 10-11-2009, 04:32 PM

DP had three co-workers out sick at once with H1N1. I'm not sure how sick they were, but his employer is asking people to stay home if they feel ill.

#8 of 45 Old 10-11-2009, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We have some type of flu here right now, all 5 of us. I'm not going to drag us into the doctor (which would be the Naval Hospital for us) to get us typed because we're treating it fine at home, so I don't know which kind. We're all on the mend now, DD2 was the farthest behind and last night was her worst night.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#9 of 45 Old 10-12-2009, 03:25 AM

My friend and her two dds had it two weeks ago. It was very mild for the 3 of them and her husband didn't catch it.
#10 of 45 Old 10-13-2009, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies.

RainyDay: I meant other than a regular flu bug.

My youngest came down with a flu the Thursday night before I typed this. He was done in 4 days and is at school today. It was very mild. I spiked a fever last night after staying with him yesterday but I'm feeling okay mostly today.

I'm just wondering if it might have been swine flu. If so I am very underwhelmed but I guess there is no way of knowing without bothering a doctor. It would be nice to simply say we have had it and forgo any explaining of not getting the shots.
#11 of 45 Old 10-13-2009, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been told that if you have the flu now you should just assume it's swine flu, since over 90% of cases going around right now are.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#12 of 45 Old 10-13-2009, 11:06 PM

Pretty sure we had it as someone at dh's office tested positive around the same time the whole family was sick. The worst that came of it is dd developed bronchitis afterward, but very milk. No meds needed, even as a 6 month old.

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#13 of 45 Old 10-14-2009, 12:41 AM

The kids had sore throat, stuffy nose and cough. My daughter had a low fever for one evening, and a bit of diarrhea the next day. Both kids are pretty much over it after about 3 days, tho the cough is lingering but a lot better. I am just today "going down" with the sore throat, stuffy nose and headache, and I currently would classify this as a cold, but if it's H1N1 it's hasn't been bad so far. Maybe we're lucking out and getting mild swine flu.
#14 of 45 Old 10-16-2009, 03:29 PM

I currently have it and it sucks.

Wednesday I started coughing and my lungs felt like they were on fire. Yesterday I felt like I'd been hit by a truck and spiked a fever. Both of my girls have asthma and other health issues so I went in to the doc. I tested positive for influenza A - oh joy. I came home with tamiflu for me and the girls, this morning the youngest started coughing and had a mild fever so she's going into the doc this afternoon. Right now the 7 year old is the only one without symptoms. We all feel like death warmed over.

Jessica
Wife of one Uber-Geek: Homeschooling mom of Bubs -12 :, Buggy - 7 :, and MonkeyButt - 5 :
#15 of 45 Old 10-16-2009, 03:42 PM

A lot of sick kids near me, but I haven't heard of anyone actually having it confirmed as swine flu. Of the kids I know, it has seemed no different than regular flu. Big ole bunch of media hype, in my opinion.
#16 of 45 Old 10-16-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonAmiBella View Post
I currently have it and it sucks.

Wednesday I started coughing and my lungs felt like they were on fire. Yesterday I felt like I'd been hit by a truck and spiked a fever. Both of my girls have asthma and other health issues so I went in to the doc. I tested positive for influenza A - oh joy. I came home with tamiflu for me and the girls, this morning the youngest started coughing and had a mild fever so she's going into the doc this afternoon. Right now the 7 year old is the only one without symptoms. We all feel like death warmed over.
Is Influenza A the same as the H1N1/swine flu?
#17 of 45 Old 10-17-2009, 11:57 AM

I think "A" is the type of influenza virus and "H1N1" is the subtype.
#18 of 45 Old 10-17-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post
Is Influenza A the same as the H1N1/swine flu?
Yes, when they do the rapid test it's for influenza a or b. The only cases of influenza a they have right now are H1N1 - which is novel influenza a H1N1. Evergreen is telling its clinics not to send out for further testing since it takes too long, most people are better (either naturally or with tamiflu) long before the results come back.

My whole family has it now, my girls both have serious underlying health issues so we're watching them carefully.

Jessica
Wife of one Uber-Geek: Homeschooling mom of Bubs -12 :, Buggy - 7 :, and MonkeyButt - 5 :
#19 of 45 Old 10-18-2009, 02:27 AM

i'm pretty sure that dh, dd and i all had it about two weeks ago. we didn't go to the doc to get tested, although we did take dd towards the end because we were concerned about her cough. she sees a naturopath and she didn't even mention that it was a concern. but then reading this thread and some other sites talking about swine flu, dh and i started talking about it and it really seems like that's what we had. it was really the first time i had been sick in three years. we both thought that we all had a cold, because the symptoms pretty much felt like a cold but then there was the flu-like body aches and the general feeling like crap that told me it was something else. colds don't usually make my body sore. i was sick the longest and i'd say it was 10 days start to finish but i'm talking about from the first sign of anything until absolutely no symptoms.

happily married mama to our only...for now
#20 of 45 Old 10-18-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzberrymom View Post
Big ole bunch of media hype, in my opinion.
My opinion too!! Bird flu, swine flu, regular flu - it is all the same to me. If you have a fever and are throwing up, stay away from me! I am no more afraid of one flu than another.
#21 of 45 Old 10-18-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyday View Post
What do you mean "rather than local"? There is essentially no non-swine flu around in our area right now. So, if it is an influenza virus, then it's H1N1. Of course there are other viruses going around too.

What do you mean by this and how do you know this? Do you mean that any and all flus that are contracted right now are H1N1? We've completely eliminated any other flu virus?

I ask because we don't know - people are not being tested to see if it's H1N1 and we don't know. With that and the fact that many people do not go to the doctor (I wouldn't) with the flu, we are getting very skewed ideas as to what is really out there. It adds to the media hysteria.
#22 of 45 Old 10-18-2009, 07:40 PM

Our family just is finally getting over what we believe was h1n1. Our 3yo (who is immunocompromised) tested positive for type A and we were told that this very likely was h1n1. My children and I took Tamiflu, but my dh did not. The symptoms were still miserable, but not nearly as bad as what my dh had without any the Tamiflu. Apparently the fact that it responded to Tamiflu is also a very strong indictator that it was h1n1, not the seasonal flu. We live in the south Puget Sound area and there seems to be a lot of this going around!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#23 of 45 Old 10-18-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
I ask because we don't know - people are not being tested to see if it's H1N1 and we don't know. With that and the fact that many people do not go to the doctor (I wouldn't) with the flu, we are getting very skewed ideas as to what is really out there. It adds to the media hysteria.
I was just having a discussion with a friend about how they've discontinued testing here because the government said it's no longer necessary to keep track...how convenient that will be for the vaccine companies since there will only be anecdotal evidence.

They're just abot to start the live nasal vaccines in the schools here - as they simultaneously hype people up by saying they'll be short on vaccines. Will be so glad when this passes over.

Laura mama to Caitlyn 12/26/06 and Frenchie dh non vaccing unschooling multilingual family
#24 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
What do you mean by this and how do you know this? Do you mean that any and all flus that are contracted right now are H1N1? We've completely eliminated any other flu virus?

My understanding about this is that since normally flus are rampant in January/February, any flu contracted at this time of year is likely H1N1. They talked about how abnormal it was that this virus was active late in the spring and into the summer, and how now it's atypically early.

I am left wondering. I have a bad cold, had sore throat for about 6 days, bad congestion, headaches and body aches for about 3 days, but no fever (or perhaps a low one as I had a few hot-flashy kind of days, but not chills) and non-productive nausea for lack of a better term for it. I am wondering if I had a bad cold, if I had flu. I was way sicker than the kids. Kind of wish I'd had the fever so then it would be more clear... The kids also were sick but also it was similar to a bad cold, tho they recovered pretty quickly - under a week, with just clear runny noses left - cough is gone. They've been much sicker with colds before, especially my DS.

I am hoping we had it, because my DS has "reactive airways" and I have been waffling on the vax. But I guess if I don't know for sure that we had it, I'll continue waffling...
#25 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is really useful for disciphering between cold and flu: http://www.tamiflu.com/about/coldflu.aspx

I actually suspect that most people who get vaxed will get it needlessly, as it seems soooo many people have already had H1N1. We all had the flu late last April, and it could have been H1N1 or late seasonal. No way to know for sure since there is no titer test.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#26 of 45 Old 10-19-2009, 03:55 PM

My DH has it now. His symptoms are fever, body ache, headache, and cough. The cough was his first symptom. He is sick but his said he's been much worse, and it's not a stomach bug, so no nausea/vomiting. I'm not so worried about him but my DS is 4 1/2 months and I'm pretty scared for him. I talked to his nurse this morning and she warned me that he is more succeptable to complications since he hasn't been vaxed for anything. We will see I guess.
My DH is quarantined in the bedroom but probably not soon enough.
So far it's not a big deal for us at all, but that being said, my friend's brother just died from complications due to swine flu.

Attachment parenting, co-sleeping, non-vaxing breastfeeding, treehugging, vegetarian family of three!
#27 of 45 Old 10-21-2009, 02:40 PM

Our 9yo DD had some diarrhea then felt really lethargic. Her highest temp was 103.5 This all lasted a few days and then she was on the mend. We didn't see a doc or get tested. I just pampered her with our natural remedies and herbal teas.
#28 of 45 Old 10-21-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
This is really useful for disciphering between cold and flu: http://www.tamiflu.com/about/coldflu.aspx

I actually suspect that most people who get vaxed will get it needlessly, as it seems soooo many people have already had H1N1. We all had the flu late last April, and it could have been H1N1 or late seasonal. No way to know for sure since there is no titer test.
That link is very helpful - based on that, what we had was definitely just a bad cold. That is a drag because as colds go, it's been pretty bad for me and I do not relish the thought of getting swine flu at some point after this.
#29 of 45 Old 10-22-2009, 04:42 AM

We're dealing with the aftermath of it, I'm still tired and achy but no more fevers or cough. My youngest has serum sickness from the tamiflu and is a total mess right now, it never went to her lungs so that's a bonus. No time on the peds floor at Children's for this one!

Jessica
#30 of 45 Old 10-26-2009, 06:51 PM

Here's a cool link I found b/c we've all been sick at my house and I'm trying to figure out if it's the swine flu too.

http://www.usefultipsguide.com/how-t...the-swine-flu/

We talked with our doctor about getting tested, he said the standard test is only about 60% accurate for finding out if you have the swine flu, and the only way to confirm after that is with an expensive test, like a couple hundred bucks. So the best way to proceed if you have symptoms (which we do/did, all 4 of us have/had cough, achy body, headache, sore throat, mild fever, throwing up, diarrhea, and fatigue--although only 2 of us have experienced the throwing up/diarrhea, both of which were not too bad) is to treat it as you would any illness, rest, get lots of fluids, etc. And to watch for any severity developing in the symptoms. And also, he said that chances are, if you are having flu-like symptoms right now, you have the swine flu.

So, it seems to make sense to assume that with symptoms as described by the cdc, it's most likely the swine flu. I know people who have tested positive and had relatively mild illnesses with it last 3 to 4 days, and others whose doctor said even though they tested negative, that they probably have the swine flu given their symptoms and severity, and the test just wasn't accurate in their case. So at this point, I'm just operating on the assumption we've had it now and are immune

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page