Mothering Forum banner

Any hospitals in the Seattle area that do waterbirths?

7K views 22 replies 22 participants last post by  funfunkyfantastic 
#1 ·
Because I have underlying health conditions, I won't be able to birth in with the free standing birth center midwives I used for my two previous pregnancies. However, I'd still like to have as much as an intervention-free delivery as possible, and would like to labor in water. Currently I'm being seen at an Eastside hospital, (Evergreen), and although they will allow women to labor in water, they won't actually allow waterbirths. It's a big bummer, but right now I'm checking out Swedish, and they seem pretty natural birth friendly. Anyone have any experiences, or know of any facilities that have a reputation for being natural birth friendly?

#2 ·
not 100% sure, but try group health on first hill. one of my mw's (cindie brown) has privileges there and i know that they at least have tubs

#4 ·
I delivered my first at Group Health Cap Hill in 2005 and water birth was not allowed. I didn't think there was a hospital around that allowed it but I'm a little outdated on that kind of info. But I will say I had an awesome birth at GH. I was a birth center transfer and had a very low intervention birth there. Unless its changed, their tubs are terrible and I would plan on renting one.

#5 ·
there are no hospitals in the Seattle area that "allow" waterbirths. UWMC has had a few, but doesn't like that to get around...and it has been with the midwives.

Swedish First Hill is not what I would call natural birth central! Swedish Ballard a bit more, I agree with previous posters, GH Central is great!

GH, and Evegreen have horrible tubs, and many of my clients rent tubs if they are birthing there.

good luck to you!
Sharon

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SalmonBayDoula View Post
there are no hospitals in the Seattle area that "allow" waterbirths. UWMC has had a few, but doesn't like that to get around...and it has been with the midwives.

Swedish First Hill is not what I would call natural birth central! Swedish Ballard a bit more, I agree with previous posters, GH Central is great!

GH, and Evegreen have horrible tubs, and many of my clients rent tubs if they are birthing there.

good luck to you!
Sharon
what she said. Basically, if you want a waterbirth at UW, have a MW and just refuse to get out of the tub. What are they going to do, really?

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post
what she said. Basically, if you want a waterbirth at UW, have a MW and just refuse to get out of the tub. What are they going to do, really?
I've unfortantely seen them drain the tub on a mom and threaten to lift her out.

#8 ·
Another vote for GH, they're the crunchiest you'll find but they are still a hospital. I was told you can have a tub there, but most of the rooms are small and they don't really encourage it. Note you will want to get the heck out of there as fast you can because their beds are super uncomfortable and hard.

#9 ·
I had a birth at UWMC and was also told that water births were not allowed but sometimes "mom doesn't quite get out in time." I was asked to get out when I told the midwife I felt like pushing.

I loved the midwives there but wasn't happy with the hospital. But I probably wouldn't be happy with any hospital.

#10 ·
Cindie Brown is also currently my midwife and Im planning on birthing at GH - she said you can labor in the tub all you want - policy says you cannot birth in the water - however, you can push while in the tub, but need to stand up in the water to push baby out and then can sit back in the water.

#13 ·
Well, I guess no waterbirth for me. I was diagnosed with Lupus and the midwives have risked me out so now I'm with an OB at the Center for Women's Health at Evergreen. Has anyone had any luck delivering naturally at Evergreen? I'm terrified of giving birth in a hospital.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
Well, I guess no waterbirth for me. I was diagnosed with Lupus and the midwives have risked me out so now I'm with an OB at the Center for Women's Health at Evergreen. Has anyone had any luck delivering naturally at Evergreen? I'm terrified of giving birth in a hospital.
I used the midwives at the CWH at Evergreen for my VBAC in 2007 and had a natural hospital delivery. I found the nurses to be supportive of it.

#16 ·
Try looking up the hospital on the Birth Survey to see how other moms rated the care there.

I'm so sorry that you feel stuck giving birth in a hospital. Have you been able to get a good explanation for why lupus risks you out of even midwifery care?

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
I had a friend who had 2 natural deliveries there. Another who labored naturally for 24 hours before she decided (on her own) to get an epidural since she had made little progress and was exhausted. IME, the nurses are usually very good. And if you don't like who you get, request (er, demand) a different one. And hire a doula.

#18 ·
I've had quite a few doula clients have unmedicated births there. They do have a higher-than-area-average c/s rate, but at the same time they seem more open to avoiding pain meds. Go figure!

#20 ·
Do you like the OB group you are with? I do know some 'high risk' mom's who have had natural births at Evergreen (VBAC's, twins, etc.) but it depends on your Dr. There are a couple of great OB's in another Kirkland practice with Evergreen privileges, but if you are happy and comfortable with the team you are seeing, then learning how to effectively communicate with your providers, taking a good childbirth ed class (I think independent, out of hospital classes are usually better to prepare you for this than the hospital class), and looking into a labor doula can help prepare you for hospital birth. Remember, you can always change providers if you ever feel uncomfortable with your team!

I also agree with jenneology, check the birth survey for both the OB's in your group and the hospital to see other women's experiences.

If you do want names of other providers, let me know.

Have a happy pregnancy

#21 ·
Just another option that I recently found out about. One couple in my birth class (in Seattle) is going to birth at a hospital in Tacoma because there are two birthing tubs there. I can't remember what the exact name is, but I think it was St. Joseph's. I would love a water birth but am so not willing to drive from the Eastside (only 5 miles from Evergreen) down to Tacoma!

#22 ·
I'm using Seattle OBGYN, which delivers out of Swedish and I've found my OBGYN to be VERY baby-friendly. They don't give any formula samples and they assumed that I would breastfeed. At Swedish they room-in and offer alot of lactational support. My doctor was VERY supportive of my desire to birth naturally and encouraged me to look into classes like Lamaze or Bradley to get an edge up on avoiding epidural. My friend (who is decidedly UN-natural) had to practically BEG for an epidural there.

I know that alot of people struggle with their doctors and the hospitals for control, but I haven't found that to be the case in my OB care. My OB is extremely supportive of my decisions, does not do internal exams at every appointment, and is willing to work with me, not against me. I would highly recommend seeing someone who you feel is working with you because it will make your hospital experience go smoother.

#23 ·
I know this thread is old, but has anyone seen any policies change recently? Or is there any north end hospitals that will allow water births (i'm in Marysville)? I may be risking out of my birth center and i'm looking to see what options are out there. I delivered at group health in 2008 and was not a huge fan of the location or the tubs. I also was not allowed to give birth in the water. I only birthed there because Sally Avenson (my nurse midwife at the time) only had permissions there and one other much further away place. I had risked out of the home birth I desired due to high blood pressure. I'm well on my way to risking out again as my blood pressure is on the rise. I really really want a waterbirth this time though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.