OBs willing to do vaginal breech in Tacoma area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-13-2009, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend has a breech babe, and is working to get him turned. She's going for a homebirth this time after a traumatic birth experience last time and would really hate to risk out due to breech. However, she's open to the possibility of a vaginal breech birth. Apparently there are no OBs in Olympia (where we live) that attend vaginal breech births, but Tacoma is a pretty close drive, so maybe someone knows of one there?

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2009, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know it's a drive, but there are midwives in Portland that would attend her. She might even get midwives to come to Olympia...check with Andaluz Birth Center in Portland.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
I know it's a drive, but there are midwives in Portland that would attend her. She might even get midwives to come to Olympia...check with Andaluz Birth Center in Portland.
I had a repeat client in Seattle with her second babe firmly frank breech! She explored many options in Seattle. There are potentially a very small handful of midwives here that will do breech out of hospital.

My client chose to go to Andaluz that pamamidwife references, and had a wonderful experience. I was only sad not to be at her birth in PDX!

Sharon

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
Old 10-14-2009, 01:05 AM

There are no OB's in the Tacoma area that will attends a vaginal breech. There are however, a couple of Washington midwives that will attend home breech births.

Have your friend contact me if she needs more info.

Allison, mom to 3, midwife,
Old 10-14-2009, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information. I'm seeing her on Saturday and I'll pass this information along to her. I'm not sure if she's open to the idea of a breech HB. I really wish there were OBs who would attend vaginal breech deliveries around here. It's a shame that no one will attend them anymore. But I'm glad there are some midwives who will do it!

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
Old 10-14-2009, 01:11 PM

I haven't found any OB's willing to do vaginal breech either.

I can understand her concern with trying a homebirth with breech, but honestly the way hospitals/OBs usually handle a vaginal breech versus a midwife....well, I'd be a bit scared of a hospital breech. They seem so much more hands on at a hospital and from what I understand, a breech birth is best handled off hands, though I could be wrong.

The other thing about a hospital is that she'd be constantly monitored, on a timer (you know, the whole "well, you've only been progressing xx cm's every 3 hours and we like to see you progress faster..."), at more risk of augmentation, and honestly, at a much higher risk of cesarean.

I hope she can find something she's comfortable with either way though! Maybe baby will decide to turn at that last minute

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
Old 10-22-2009, 04:48 AM

My sister had her breech baby turned in Salem, OR by a doctor with amazing skill/luck--didn't hurt at all. Her midwives (at Bella Vie) recommended him. I wonder if there's anyone around here with awesome luck turning babies? (seems like that would make things easier all around!)
Old 10-22-2009, 05:16 AM

Let her know that breech in the hospital isn't a pretty sight. They don't just "catch" the baby and there is nothing natural about it. A few docs up her in Alaska do them. Unless it's a surprize breech they deliver in the O.R., lying flat on their backs on an operating table in stirrups with a non-negotiable epidural. Even then, it's very likely that they will use forceps and cut an episiotomy. (A lot like twins in the hospital.) I don't think that is what she is looking for, eh?

User Tag List