Spam me with your fave Seattle homebirth midwives. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 12-23-2009, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey folks!

I need a great homebirth midwife. Got any suggestions for me?

Thanks!

, mama to DS(7/)22/02) DS (8/14/04) , and an angel (3/10/10)nursing a broken heart...loving my boys.
#2 of 27 Old 12-24-2009, 12:31 AM

What part of town do you live in?

I like Suzanne Thompson, Geraldine Lee, Cindie Brown/Jenn/Mel, Marie Wakefield, Brandy Ross, Jane Peterson, Erin Curtiss, as a place to start...

Do you like a more hands off homebirth midwife or a more middle of the road type of care, and what part of town do you live in?

That might help, to ID some others or narrow the field down.

Sharon

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
#3 of 27 Old 12-24-2009, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

I live in North Seattle, and I want a nice, supportive, extremely experienced midwife to help deliver my baby. I dont need her to be too hands on since this is my third and I kind of know what Im doing.

, mama to DS(7/)22/02) DS (8/14/04) , and an angel (3/10/10)nursing a broken heart...loving my boys.
#4 of 27 Old 12-24-2009, 07:32 AM

Jane Peterson, known here as Apricot is wonderful. She sounds like a good fit for what you describe,

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#5 of 27 Old 12-24-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapajama View Post
I live in North Seattle, and I want a nice, supportive, extremely experienced midwife to help deliver my baby. I dont need her to be too hands on since this is my third and I kind of know what Im doing.
Sue Thomson sounds like she might be a great fit for you.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#6 of 27 Old 12-26-2009, 02:30 AM

I went with a nathuropath who was also a LM for my second- Tracy McDaniel. She was as hands off as I needed her to be and snapped to action when I needed her to as well. While I would still do the interview process when I have another baby, I am likely to use her again.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#7 of 27 Old 12-26-2009, 02:30 AM

I went with a nathuropath who was also a LM for my second- Tracy McDaniel. She was as hands off as I needed her to be and snapped to action when I needed her to as well. While I would still do the interview process when I have another baby, I am likely to use her again. She is pregnant herself and expecting in July- I'm not sure how that fits in with your own pregnancy.

Mama to Raina (9/06) and Peter (8/09)!
#8 of 27 Old 12-27-2009, 04:56 AM

This may be a little too far away from you, but so far I ADOOOOORE the midwives at Puget Sound Birth Center. They do homebirths too, that's what I am using them for.

http://www.birthcenter.com/

It's in Kirkland, though. :S

A friend of mine went with Brandy Ross and loved her, she's in Lynnwood, not too far off the freeway. We've seen her for naturopathic care.

Another friend is using Suzanne Thompson who is somewhere within Seattle, and really likes her, as far as I know. She might chime in here herself, I'm just telling ya what I've heard!

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#9 of 27 Old 12-27-2009, 09:40 PM

I love Suzanne Thomson. She's in Greenwood. I worked with her during my second pregnancy.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#10 of 27 Old 12-31-2009, 05:57 AM

Heather Chorley works in Seattle now I think (she used to be in Kirkland with Puget Sound Birth Center when I had dd3's homebirth six years ago). Heather is GREAT! If you are willing to go to Kirkland, Val Sasson at PSBC is amazing too!
#11 of 27 Old 01-02-2010, 01:36 AM

Definitely interview Suzanne Thomson. She's in North Seattle. She's extremely experienced.

Mama to 3 kids. We live in a yurt!
#12 of 27 Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 AM

I had Beth Coyote and Geraldine Lee for my last 2 homebirths, and loved them. They no longer work together but I would recommend them both.

I also really like Christina Gutierrez, my only experience with her has been at hospital transfers, and she seems great (I work L&D). Christina did have a baby not too long ago, not sure if she is still on leave. Suzanne Thomson is also really liked by a lot of people and I have had one experience with her also, and she seemed great. Also, I have heard great things about Tracy McDaniel and have liked her as well too.
#13 of 27 Old 01-07-2010, 12:29 PM

I used Mel Parsons and LOVE her! I told her during my pregnancy that I really wanted her there as a lifeguard, just in case anything went wrong. I had just the pregnancy and birth that I was hoping for, with only the medical tests/interventions that I wanted. She didn't intrude or try to take over my labor and I caught my own baby. I retained the placenta after the birth and Jenn Issaks (who came as a backup when I was pushing) had to go get it, so I was really glad that they were there to help with that. I"ll be calling Mel for the next baby, too.

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
#14 of 27 Old 01-08-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine View Post
I also really like Christina Gutierrez, my only experience with her has been at hospital transfers, and she seems great (I work L&D). Christina did have a baby not too long ago, not sure if she is still on leave.
Nope, she just came back from leave last month.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#15 of 27 Old 01-08-2010, 10:30 PM

I'll add my vote for Suzanne Thomson!

I'm still pregnant and seeing her so I haven't experienced birth with her yet, but so far she has been fabulous! I also adore her assistant.

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#16 of 27 Old 01-11-2010, 11:11 PM

I'm using the midwifery team at Seattle Home Maternity Services and I really like them so far. They are totally DIY compared to the other midwifery practice I saw in MI - I test my own urine, weigh myself (no one looking over my shoulder) and I'll be doing my own GBS swab tomorrow at my 36 week appt (lucky me!). They are way way laid back and non-alarmist. The practice consists of Marge Mansfield, Heather Chorley, Traci Palagi & Tina Tsiakalis, all of whom are awesome in my opinion. Their main office is in Columbia City, so a little bit of a hike for you, but they also see clients at Seattle Healing Arts at 6300 9th Ave NE from 8:30 am to 4 pm on Thursdays.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#17 of 27 Old 01-12-2010, 02:14 AM

Hi Keeta,

Im also looking at them for our midwife. Im scheduled to see Traci Palagi for a meet and greet next week. How are they on ultrasounds? Not sure how far along you are, but did you get one early on to see the heartbeat etc, and also at 20 weeks? Thanks for the help. I really like the sound of them and only have heard great things. Eager to meet the midwives! Oh, also, do they all cover for each other, or do you kind of pick on and stick with her most the time?
#18 of 27 Old 01-12-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukana123 View Post
Hi Keeta,

Im also looking at them for our midwife. Im scheduled to see Traci Palagi for a meet and greet next week. How are they on ultrasounds? Not sure how far along you are, but did you get one early on to see the heartbeat etc, and also at 20 weeks? Thanks for the help. I really like the sound of them and only have heard great things. Eager to meet the midwives! Oh, also, do they all cover for each other, or do you kind of pick on and stick with her most the time?
I'm almost 36 weeks and I've been with them from the beginning. They don't have an u/s machine in their office, so you have to go to a location in Capitol Hill for them. I only had one at around 20 weeks; I'm not sure about earlier ones, but they might order one for you if you request it - that's what I like about them, they don't order you to do things, but if you request things they are usually happy to oblige. For example, they don't do routine cervical checks late in pregnancy (because they're really not indicative of anything) but if you are curious if you are dilated at all, they will happily check you.

They do all cover for each other, you don't pick one. From what I understand, for the births it's most likely you will either have Heather or Traci be on call (they are on call more frequently than Marge and Tina). I really really like them both, so I'd be happy either way!

#19 of 27 Old 01-12-2010, 01:51 PM

I'll add another "vote" for Tracy McDaniel with One Sky Wellness in th Roosevelt area (I live in Shoreline). She was fantastic throughout my pregnancy and for Javier's birth at home. A wonderfully balanced midwife and naturopath!
#20 of 27 Old 01-13-2010, 01:58 AM

I just wanted to say how lucky we are in seattle to have such a talented group of out of hospital midwives from which to choose. many places in the country are not so lucky!

happy births to all!

Sharon

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
#21 of 27 Old 01-13-2010, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier_mama View Post
I'll add another "vote" for Tracy McDaniel with One Sky Wellness in th Roosevelt area (I live in Shoreline). She was fantastic throughout my pregnancy and for Javier's birth at home. A wonderfully balanced midwife and naturopath!
I just met with her today to interview her for my 8mo old and myself....I liked her.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#22 of 27 Old 01-13-2010, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
I'm using the midwifery team at Seattle Home Maternity Services and I really like them so far. They are totally DIY compared to the other midwifery practice I saw in MI - I test my own urine, weigh myself (no one looking over my shoulder) and I'll be doing my own GBS swab tomorrow at my 36 week appt (lucky me!). They are way way laid back and non-alarmist. The practice consists of Marge Mansfield, Heather Chorley, Traci Palagi & Tina Tsiakalis, all of whom are awesome in my opinion. Their main office is in Columbia City, so a little bit of a hike for you, but they also see clients at Seattle Healing Arts at 6300 9th Ave NE from 8:30 am to 4 pm on Thursdays.
How is this group with HBACs?

I still need to go to the ICAN meeting anyway.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#23 of 27 Old 01-13-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
You know, I'm not sure because I didn't ask (didn't have a c/s the first time, so it just didn't come up for me). I bet if you just give them a call they could give you a straightforward answer!

#24 of 27 Old 01-14-2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post

I still need to go to the ICAN meeting anyway.
This group does not do HBACs. I invite you to join our Seattle ICAN yahoo group and come to some meetings. Link in my siggy! Lots of resources there!

#25 of 27 Old 01-20-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejeff View Post
I used Mel Parsons and LOVE her! I told her during my pregnancy that I really wanted her there as a lifeguard, just in case anything went wrong. I had just the pregnancy and birth that I was hoping for, with only the medical tests/interventions that I wanted. She didn't intrude or try to take over my labor and I caught my own baby. I retained the placenta after the birth and Jenn Issaks (who came as a backup when I was pushing) had to go get it, so I was really glad that they were there to help with that. I"ll be calling Mel for the next baby, too.
Another vote for Mel!
#26 of 27 Old 01-25-2010, 09:25 PM

Ha! There are so many great options in this town. We're pretty lucky that way.

I'm enjoying Beth Coyote and Lynn Hughes at Rainy City Midwifery on Capitol Hill. They also do acupuncture on site. Here's their page:

http://www.rainycitymidwiferyandacup...com/index.html

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#27 of 27 Old 03-02-2010, 02:53 AM

I loved working with Loren Riccio, ND, LM and her partner Chris Thain, LM. Loren works at Emerald City Clinic on 85th and 15th NW, but Chris is on the Eastside. We switched off who we saw at each visit, so we didnt have to drive over there too often. (We are also in N Seattle.) Loren was at our birth, and fantastic: right on top of it when DD needed to be resuscitated, but also brought in the naturopathic care throughout the pregnancy. I also love that she is a doctor, because now she is our pediatrician. There is nothing like a ped who was at the birth. Same goes for Tracy McDaniel.

My hesitation with Christina Guiterrez was that she didnt have a partner (2 1/2 yrs ago when we interviewed.) Not sure if that is the case anymore.

We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are. --Anais Nin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page