Looking for people interested in starting our own co-op preschool in Seattle. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-24-2009, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi All,

I would love to start a co-op with other AP parents. I'm a certified teacher for k-8 and will soon be endorsed in early childhood education. I'm also a former Peace Corps Volunteer who has taught in some pretty diverse environments. My family has been trying to find a co-op in the Seattle area that will allow me to wear my 9 month-old during my 2.5 year-old's class. All of the co-ops that I have contacted have declined. So I thought, why not try to start an AP co-op in Seattle with other parents who are passionate about the benefits of AP.
Working together, we could create the curriculum based on a number of templates/models available online or that someone else may already be familiar with and prefer. We can set the times and location that work best for us. If anyone is interested please let me know! I'm very excited about the possibility. If something like this already exists, I'd love to hear about it!

Best regards,

Taylor
#2 of 9 Old 12-24-2009, 04:11 AM

Not trying to discourage you from forming your own but have you tried King Street Co-op? When I was looking there, they allowed you to bring your infant with on your work day.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#3 of 9 Old 12-29-2009, 05:02 AM

I encountered the same frustration with my 2.5 yr old and baby combo. I love the idea.

Most of the more alternative co-ops (King Street, University, etc) I found were full-time and that was too much for my tastes. I wanted some enriching educational opportunities on the scale of 2-3 times a week 2-3 hours at a time.
I ended up working with some moms in my neighborhood to do a preschool coop. But the AP appeals to me. Our curriculum right now is really mainstream: letter of the day, which is fine for the 2-3 year olds because its introducing letters. My little boy (35 months) has really been enjoying it.

I'm interested in your ideas. Are you thinking you want to rent a space or rotate with parents homes? I dreamed of starting a storefront preschool coop here in Seattle but didn't pursue it because I'll be moving away in a couple of years.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#4 of 9 Old 01-18-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneology View Post
I encountered the same frustration with my 2.5 yr old and baby combo. I love the idea.

Most of the more alternative co-ops (King Street, University, etc) I found were full-time and that was too much for my tastes. I wanted some enriching educational opportunities on the scale of 2-3 times a week 2-3 hours at a time.
I ended up working with some moms in my neighborhood to do a preschool coop. But the AP appeals to me. Our curriculum right now is really mainstream: letter of the day, which is fine for the 2-3 year olds because its introducing letters. My little boy (35 months) has really been enjoying it.
This is exactly what I'm looking for! Are you planning on having this next year?
#5 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 04:42 AM

My daughter is too old to be a part of this now, but eventually I might be interested for the new babe. I'd love to keep in contact if you guys get something going.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#6 of 9 Old 02-17-2010, 03:18 AM

It has been a while since this was originally posted, so not sure if you moved forward with your idea. I would be very interested in participating if you are forming a co-op.

thanks
#7 of 9 Old 02-17-2010, 05:00 PM

Right now, we're going through the process to get my little boy into the German immersion preschool in the U District (SAGA) and I've applied to UW as a PhD student next year so I'll be needing full time care. If I don't get in to the program, I probably won't do a co-op because of the German preschool.

But if both fall through, yes, I'm still interested in a AP Co-op.

What ideas are you considering that would be AP/NFL?

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#8 of 9 Old 07-11-2010, 12:49 AM

I know this is a pretty old thread but the co-op my daughter and I attend it pretty crunchy and you can wear your babies during classes for your older child. It is in Shoreline though so it might be sort of far for some of you that are more central. Anyway, it is called Shorenorth.
#9 of 9 Old 01-13-2012, 11:01 PM

I just saw this thread online and while I realize it was a few years ago I wanted to check and see if you ever started a co-op program? If so, can you please send me any information as I have two little ones and am looking for a suitable program. 

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page