Hoping to find a community of crunchy mommas/mommas-to-be in North Seattle area! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! My name is Julia and I'm due in May to have my first baby. I've been living in the Seattle area for a good 7 months. Getting my life together has been so busy that I haven't had much time to get a social life. I'm afraid if I don't start reaching out now, it's going to affect my mental health in a negative way and I want to do everything I can for my baby and myself to avoid depression.

In a nutshell I'm looking to find like/open-minded moms to connect with. I'm a huge nature lover, very arts and crafty, adore children, music, new experiences and learning new things. The main guidelines of my life that help me to keep things balanced are love, respect, responsibility, communication and honesty.

So if anyone would like to chat, drop me an e-mail on mothering.com or at [email protected] and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Hope to make some great friends! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-01-2010, 06:30 AM

hi there! congrats on your soon to be here baby!

several suggestions, along with the good idea of posting here! not sure where in Seattle you live, so some might not be applicable:

you might consider joining PEPS after the baby comes, you can join a mothers group or a couples group if you wish, these meet weekly with families in your neighborhood, and is a nice way to meet folks with new ones too! www.pepsgroups.org

prenatal yoga is a nice way to meet other pregnant women, and then continue postpartum with the little ones.

many neighborhoods have yahoo group for moms or parents, you might look into joining one or two and posting a similar message, and find like minded mamas. if you tell me where you live, I can let you know if I know of a group,but I bet there will be something!

you also may hook up with some other families if you take a pregnancy class, and you might consider independent classes, which cater to the home birth crowd!

I will let you know if any other ideas come up!

Best,
Sharon

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
#3 of 6 Old 01-01-2010, 07:24 AM

You sound like my kind of friend! PM you!

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#4 of 6 Old 01-03-2010, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all that wonderful advice! I'm looking forward to expanding my community as much as starting my family.

Happy New Year!!
#5 of 6 Old 01-03-2010, 03:39 PM

Another tip I would pass along is to start going to your local La Leche League meetings now! I did that when I was pregnant with DS1, and that's how I made all my local mom friends. Leaders LOVE it when pregnant moms come, because it gives you a chance to see nursing in action before you actually have to do it. I had so much more confidence going into it, having started attending at around 25 weeks or so. But other moms started going much earlier in their pregnancies, so anytime is really good!

Here's a link to the local meetings in WA, there are several in Seattle: http://www.lllusa.org/WA/default.html

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#6 of 6 Old 01-03-2010, 09:47 PM

Welcome CoyoteMomma and congratulations on your pregnancy! It sounds like you've already gotten a lot of great suggestions. I just wanted to add as well that most of the time there is a monthly Seattle area thread that gets started here on MDC and that is a good way to connect with other people in this area. Often, people just chat about what they are up to and what activities they are doing that month. Sometimes there are clothing swaps (which can be great for getting baby clothes!) and other meet-ups which you may really enjoy. So, keep your eyes open for those threads and that may be another way to connect with similar-minded mamas!

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page