UW and breech birth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know what UW's policy is on breech birth? Do you know of someone who was allowed/disallowed one and why? A doctor that does them?

Thanks!
#2 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 06:15 AM

Well, I'm going to rain on your parade here. No OBs in WA will do one. And no midwives can, so you're left with 3 choices: a homebirth midwife acting outside what they're supposed to (which makes me very nervous, and you really don't want a birth attendant without a ton of practice doing safe breech births), have a c/s, or go down to Portland. If you choose the latter, there are some docs at OHSU who do them, but you'll want to find a way to establish a relationship with them first (maybe a couple of day trips for prenatal appointments, then head down there at 37-38 weeks), because you can't count on whoever is on call at OHSU the night you go into labor being on of them. (And OHSU, btw, is the best hospital to do a breech birth).

If you can find someone in PDX to not only stay with, but birth at their home, you can have a breech homebirth with the Andaluz Birth Center midwives, but they can't do a breech at the birth center.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#3 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, guess I should have stated that I live in Alaska so day trips (even to Seattle) aren't an option. My peri is the head of OB at UW so I might be able to swing going to UW for delivery insurance-wise because of that. I'm also 36 weeks today and to be induced between 37 and 39 weeks, so if I can't get him to turn by other means (time is running short) I'm really not wanting a c/s.
#4 of 10 Old 01-08-2010, 06:27 AM

deleted

#5 of 10 Old 01-09-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akemt View Post
Sorry, guess I should have stated that I live in Alaska so day trips (even to Seattle) aren't an option. My peri is the head of OB at UW so I might be able to swing going to UW for delivery insurance-wise because of that. I'm also 36 weeks today and to be induced between 37 and 39 weeks, so if I can't get him to turn by other means (time is running short) I'm really not wanting a c/s.
Yeah, UW doesn't do breech births. No OBs in WA do them.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#6 of 10 Old 01-10-2010, 03:47 AM

I had a breech baby and c/s in WA (tried various things to turn it--a version, acupuncture, etc.) and I have to say, the c/s was actually so much better than I expected. Even if that's what you end up with, it will still be ok. I did go into labor naturally, a few days ahead of the scheduled c/s, so that may have helped as well.
#7 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 02:54 AM

Easterling at UWMC will do a breech birth. I had a client who met him for a consult recently and he definitely would do it....the catch was, he had to be on call when you are in labor, as his partners would not. (so, how likely???)

I suggest you also join ICAN Seattle for more info on breech resources. Good luck to you! www.icanseattle.wordpress.com

Sharon

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
#8 of 10 Old 01-11-2010, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

I found a blog online of someone who said they met with him about a breech birth but that they didn't like how graphically he described the risks or that he'd require a cesarean team standing by. Neither bothers me...and I know he's like that. Thanks for all the input. It appears to atleast be an option to try for should everything local not pan out (I'm doing moxibustion and am a good candidate for an external version if necessary). Dr. E has ordered an induction between 37 and 39 weeks...though I don't know if he'd be willing to do both together (inducing a breech) as that might add to his legal liabilities. Regardless, it is worth trying if he'll agree to it so that I can try to avoid a c/s.

Thanks again, and anyone with personal experience feel free to respond or PM me!
#9 of 10 Old 01-15-2010, 04:29 AM

Glad you found at least one doc that might work--I'd be cautious about an early induction though, for baby's lung development. If the doc thinks it's ok, I guess it's ok...but I'm not sure I'd choose that over a C/S, fwiw.
#10 of 10 Old 09-08-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thought I'd update...about 2 years later!  Dr. E was willing to try breech if I pushed for that, but luckily the moxibustion worked fabulously (at 37+ weeks) and my water broke on its own a week or so later so there was no need for any induction or c/s (thank heavens!).  I would DEFINITELY suggest moxibustion to anyone with a breech baby!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page