Oregon vaccine exemption form...religious exemption? Oregon - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-13-2010, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone give me any information on religious exemptions in Oregon? We're not terribly religious, and don't attend a church... Can I still sign the religious exemption line on the immunization form? Will they ask what religion we are/or for proof??

Anyone deal with this in Oregon public schools recently? Thank you SO much for any advice or insight you can provide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-14-2010, 01:47 AM

In my experience, it was very very simple. You can check religious exemption on the form and my understanding is that they cannot legally ask you what your religion is or really any questions like that. Oregon's public school vax form now even lets you selectively exempt from some but not all vaxes. It shouldn't be a problem for you at all.
#3 of 6 Old 01-14-2010, 02:53 AM

Yep. My three are in public school in Portland. I was given a form about vaccinations (four pages), and if I vax'd, I'd sign the front and then provide the proof. But instead, I signed the second page stating I opted out due to religious reasons. The school didn't say a word. They CAN'T legally say a word about the religious exemption, they can't ask what religion or anything like that!

The religious exemption is a good one, since they can't say a word about it specifically, and don't need any sort of proof other than your signature on the form.

I believe the form still asks what vax's they've been given, but I marked none. Now, that's not true, mine are given some. But I've read that even if you sign the religious exemption line, but state they've been given some vax's - the school can ask for proof of the vax's. I didn't want to have to provide proof (my own personal issues with them wanting too much information, IMO), so I just marked none, as I said. Now if an outbreak of something occurs, they could ask me to keep my kids home (sigh, insert rolling eye smiley here), but it is what it is and most likely won't happen.
#4 of 6 Old 01-14-2010, 03:21 AM

They can't ask you a thing!! I turned in my religious exemption form with my 2nd grader when he was a Kinder and the lady who I grew up with knew I didn't attend any church and was rather gruff about it, but my mil who works for the school district said they legally can't ask you anything about it.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#5 of 6 Old 01-15-2010, 04:06 AM

just 'cause you don't go to church doesn't mean you don't have a religion. Whatever you believe & practice are your religion. We have freedom of religion here.
#6 of 6 Old 01-17-2010, 07:35 PM

I was nervous about marking religious exemption since we don't regularly go to church but I've had no issues at all. There is no proof you need to provide, either. It seems to be the option for "parental to choice to not vac" - I don't k ow why they don't just have that as an option. But don't worry-you shouldn't have any problems marking it on the form.

DH 8.31.02 DD #1 1.14.03 DD #2 7.26.05 DD #3 12.7.07

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page