Mothering Forum banner

Eugene mamas...

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Theia 
#1 ·
Ok-so I have tried reaching out to local mamas in the past and my social anxiety always gets in the darn way. I make plans and don't follow through.
I am going to attempt this once again as I am feeling pretty isolated after the birth of my 2nd son and am needing to connect with other mamas.
My name is Liz. I have a 26 month old and a 2 week old. I did call today to get the LLL meeting times for Eugene, but I would still like to connect with others outside of LLL.
Anyone out there??

#2 ·
Sorry, I'm in Roseburg not Eugene or else we could set up a playdate. MOPS (Mother's of Preschoolers) is an awesome group to try out if there's one in Eugene. Ask the other mamas at LLL what groups there are locally to do for fun or meet like-minded families.

#4 ·
I'm so in the same boat as you. Maybe it would be easier to meet somewhere like the kid's museum? Or maybe just chat online for a while? We moved here right before dd was born so I'd welcome a chance to get to know other mamas, especially those who understand how hard it can be to meet new people!

#5 ·
Hi! I understand how difficult it is to meet new people and even to maintain relationships. I'm a patient friend and am always looking to meet new people. I'm currently out of town, but if your interested in a meet up please feel free to PM me. I also know lots of mamas and things to do.

#6 ·
Hi. I'm Stephanie, I am really shy & I also have social anxiety. I just moved to Springfield last month, my husband is attending UO. I have a 27mo & a 9mo.
I don't really know what there is to do around here, but I would be interested in having a playdate somewhere or doing something.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovin' It View Post
Hi! I understand how difficult it is to meet new people and even to maintain relationships. I'm a patient friend and am always looking to meet new people. I'm currently out of town, but if your interested in a meet up please feel free to PM me. I also know lots of mamas and things to do.

^ I can vouch for her
She's moving away from me back to Eugene and I am a sad panda.

OP, I tend to be socially anxious as well, though I'm much better than I used to be. Hang in there, keep trying, it will get better.

#9 ·
Just wanted to say HI from Eugene too! I used to belong to a AP mom's group (a Yahoo group) but lost touch. It's probably still active.

My DS is now 6 and in 1/2 day Kindy. I work full time and have always had a hard time getting to playdates. They're usually during the weekdays.

I hang out with these two organizations if any of you are into earth based spirituality:

SpiralScouts:
http://www.emeraldearthseekers.com/index.html

Sophia Sanctuary - a women's temple:
http://www.sophiasanctuary.org/

Peace,

Rhianna

#10 ·
thanks to everyone reaching out
that's awesome!
we should have a shy mamas club...lol. all are welcome.
so a playdate sounds good...where could we meet? the weather is yicky so it's hard to plan a playground thing and ds2 is only 3 weeks and i am still getting a hang of the nursing thing.
any ideas?

#11 ·
Would anyone like to meet at my house in west Eugene, or the upstairs of Un Solo Pueblo downtown?

My house is small and not centrally located, and I have 2 big dogs (that can stay outside, but for those that are allergic that won't help), but anyone is welcome! Or...

We're in the process of cleaning up the upstairs of Un Solo Pueblo and turning it into my office/studio and an open space for meetings like this, so (hopefully) within a week or so it should be nice and cozy.
There's not a whole lot for the big kids to do (though art supplies might work) but it's perfect for the babes and evades the weather issue.

There's also family swim @ Tamarack...I haven't been yet, but I'm planning to go with a friend tomorrow, and would love to make it a weekly thing. It's not exactly outdoors, but it is all-ages friendly, nursling friendly, and physically active for the bigger kids...

#13 ·
shy mamas club lol I'm there!
I would be up for meeting at either place, that sounds wonderful. I might be able to get everyone rounded up for a swim tonight too. We had a huge chunk of tree come down in the wind the other night and we've been sawing that up today so it just depends how exhausted we are! Warm water sounds good...

#14 ·
Hey, can I maybe throw my hat into the ring too?
New to Eugene area (we live in JC but I work in Eugene) as of last Sept. I have a 7 yo DD, Kalia, and a son (probably a son, anyway) due in June. I left a big community of fellow mamas behind in ID and would love to connect too. I work 2 jobs so the schedule is messy but if I can make it I'd love to play too...

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
Furfeet - You and I should get together for sure. Our kids are close in age.
sounds great! Want to meet at a park one of these days? Or maybe somewhere indoors if it's too rainy... I've been wanting to check out the Bounce open gym, but there must be free indoor stuff to do too. anywho just lmk we're up for anything!

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by furfeet View Post
sounds great! Want to meet at a park one of these days? Or maybe somewhere indoors if it's too rainy... I've been wanting to check out the Bounce open gym, but there must be free indoor stuff to do too. anywho just lmk we're up for anything!
I've been to Bounce and it's a little hard for me. It's kind of expensive if you have 3 or more kids and they have these 'rules' in place that are difficult for any kid 3 and under to really get if they aren't exposed to them often enough.

There is the Rainbow Playground out on 99 north of Beltline. It's not free but it's very affordable. It's where they sell the playground equipment and it's not open everyday. I'll call and see what days they have. I know I'll be taking my kids out there this week or next.

#20 ·
Hi Janasmama & everybody else-

Just wanted to thank you for posting the link to the group on facebook. I'm a SAHM who lives out in the country myself.. I started the FB group as a way to reach out to other like-minded local Mamas... and am super excited to see how it's taking off. I hope it brings people together.. We have 120+ members so far and it's growing every day.

I hope to use it to organize at least one big event/play day this summer when the weather gets nicer. I encourage you all to use it actively as well.

xoxo-
Spider

#21 ·
Cool, I added myself to your FB group!

We visited Rainbow Playgrounds for free on Halloween. They had fliers up saying free play for kids in costumes. Brendan had a blast!

The indoor play area at Gateway Mall is not a bad option for rainy days. You can easily chat with other parents and supervise the kids.

Rhianna (Tina)

#23 ·
Can I join in on the fun? I've been lurking because.... well I can tell you later. But I'd really love to join in. And I think my 2yoDD would have a blast as well. I'd do FB, but I'd have to create an account...... We've only been in Eugene for 3 months or so and are just now getting our bearings.

We need friends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.